Jesus’ narrow way is opposed to the cheap grace way

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Jesus came preaching His gospel of salvation to the Jews …
“I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” (Matthew 15:24)

The Narrow Way

Matthew 7:
13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction,
and there are many who go in by it.
14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult (confined) is the way which leads to life,
and there are few who find it.”

Luke 13:
22 And He went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem.
23 Then one said to Him, “Lord, are there few who are saved?” And He said to them,
24 “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able.
25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door,
and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying,
‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from,’
26 then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.’
27 But He will say,
‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’
28 There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob
and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and yourselves thrust out.
29 They will come from the east and the west, from the north and the south,
and sit down in the kingdom of God.
30 And indeed there are last who will be first, and there are first (the Jews) who will be last.”

The Narrow Way demands obedience

Matthew 7:
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, shall enter the kingdom of heaven,
but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name,
cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ ”

Matthew 7:
24 “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them,
I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
25 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house;
and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
26 But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them,
will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:
27 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell.
And great was its fall.”

Luke 6:
46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?
47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like:
48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock.
And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it,
for it was founded on the rock.
49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation,
against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”

The sayings that Jesus was referring to are found in Matthew chapters 5, 6, and 7.

Difficult … but it’s all about the attitude of one’s heart.

Remorse over sin followed by sincere repentance is the KEY to life!
We have 2 trinities to help us, i.e. giving us no excuses:
-- a new nature (heart)
-- the word of God
-- the indwelling Holy Spirit (actually all of the Holy Trinity)

However, many choose the way of cheap grace because it doesn’t cost them anything.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
evangelist-7 said:
The sayings that Jesus was referring to are found in Matthew chapters 5, 6, and 7.

Difficult … but it’s all about the attitude of one’s heart.

Remorse over sin followed by sincere repentance is the KEY to life!
We have 2 trinities to help us, i.e. giving us no excuses:
-- a new nature (heart)
-- the word of God
-- the indwelling Holy Spirit (actually all of the Holy Trinity)

However, many choose the way of cheap grace because it doesn’t cost them anything.
I agree with you......however it sadens my heart that as you say they choose........
But.............I just don't think they know...or for that matter want to know......THE POWER...of this saving grace.

After I got saved.....and I still do.........I have to yell it from the roof tops.......
but what I find strange is...............people just could care less.......
some think you are weird...for the love you have for Their savior. yep....that would be their Savior.

They think this way because they have never experienced God's saving grace for themselves.

When someone tells me what God has done in their lives.....means more to me than abunch of thrown around scriptures.

Some tell me to use more scriptures..................I know what the scriptures say.
I'm in a Christian forum, I want to hear why they are here, what has God done for them, how he delivered them, for them to share their love for him.
I love that more than anything....is to hear a souls testimony.

As Paul spoke after Damascus about his Lord....from which he never knew.
Paul spoke from the heart...................and then they became scriptures.

The year is 2014....and we are desciples....and our testimonies for the love we have for our Lord...
Would they not be scriptures...if the word was written today?

Praise His Holy Name! †

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
RANDOR said:
Paul spoke from the heart......and then they became scriptures.
The year is 2014....and we are desciples....
and our testimonies for the love we have for our Lord...
Would they not be scriptures...if the word was written today?
Interesting thought ... yes, I suppose they would be!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obedience is loving God and neighbor. Nothing too complicated, but takes a lifetime of sanctification and practice

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
There is not one single person on this planet that qualifys for salvation by their own merit, we are all very very far from it. The line between those of us who call our selves repentant and those who could care less is so fine its almost transparent and there are many places where every Christian lives on both sides of it.

The only line we can possibly hope to distinguish is the line between those who are trying and those who wont bother, and thats every one of us, there is not one man who is doing better then another man in this respect.

We talk about grace, but what is grace?

The answer is mercy

Mercy is all we can cry out for and that mercy was given us by the grace of a loving God.

Matthew 7:2-4
"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4"Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?…

Where I fail, you may succeed and where you fail I may succeed but we are all under grace because we all need mercy or we die in our sins.

The condition of a mans heart is as the OP says incredibly important, because the not one of us is free from death without Grace

Tex

Jun 29, 2014
From what source does obedience come from? Faith. The faithless can do the exact same action and still be disobedient. Faith is an unmerited gift from God, from God's grace.

SO

If we are saved by obedience, we are really saved by what causes our obedience. Faith causes our obedience. And what causes faith? God. What causes God? Nothing, but it is from God alone, something that we call "grace".

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Tex said:
From what source does obedience come from? Faith.
The faithless can do the exact same action and still be disobedient.
Faith is an unmerited gift from God, from God's grace.
SO
If we are saved by obedience, we are really saved by what causes our obedience. Faith causes our obedience.
And what causes faith? God. What causes God? Nothing, but it is from God alone, something that we call "grace".
From what source does obedience come from?
IMO, from God > grace > faith > and please don't forget our free-will
Has thou forgotten that we're not robots?
A trinity of sources + 1 which is a biggie!

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
evangelist-7 said:
From what source does obedience come from?
IMO, from God > grace > faith > and please don't forget our free-will
Has thou forgotten that we're not robots?
A trinity of sources + 1 which is a biggie!
Exactly which theological view says we're robots? Since you've brought it up more than once, I assume you have at least one in mind.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This Vale Of Tears said:
Calvinism.
I've been a Calvinist for 25 years and an ordained Ruling Elder for 11 of those years. I know of no such teaching. Show me one Reformed confession of faith or catechism that teaches any such thing. I'm not interested in your perceptions. Show me what we actually teach regarding the will of man from our own confessional documents.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tex said:
@ Nomad

From Chapter 16 of "The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination" entitled "Inconsistent with Free Agency". Read #4 and #5.

http://www.albatrus.org/english/theology/free_will/is_calvinism_inconsistent_with_f.htm#4.
@Tex

It's obvious that you don't understand what you're reading. Mr. Lorraine Boettner is thoroughly Reformed. I'm a big fan of his work and in no way, shape or form does he teach that men are "robots" according to Reformed theology. You direct my attention to #4 and #5, but you neglected #3, which dispels the notion that God's sovereignty and man's enslavement to a corrupt nature is incompatible with man's "free agency." What he teaches there is the Reformed doctrine know as "compatibilism." For example, from #3:

"Judas and his accomplices were left to fulfill their purpose, and they did as their wicked inclinations prompted them. Hence Peter charged them with the crime, but he at the same time declared that they had acted according to the purpose of God, -- "Him being: delivered up by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye by the hands of lawless men did crucify and slay," Acts 2:23."

So in future, you might want to read through an entire treatise instead skimming through it and cherry picking bits and pieces out of context.

My original challenge stands. Show me one Reformed confession of faith or catechism that teaches that man is a mere robot devoid of free agency.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Nomad said:
Exactly which theological view says we're robots?
Since you've brought it up more than once, I assume you have at least one in mind.
Lots of people on Christian forums have revealed their belief that
God will successfully bring all BACs through the sanctification process,
but I won't dare say ... unto holiness!
However, I don't know if there's a name for their view.

And I tell them that man's free will can usurp God's will in this matter.
Since we are not robots, I assume that I am correct.

Nomad said:
I've been a Calvinist for 25 years and an ordained Ruling Elder for 11 of those years. I know of no such teaching. Show me one Reformed confession of faith or catechism that teaches any such thing. I'm not interested in your perceptions. Show me what we actually teach regarding the will of man from our own confessional documents.
Are you serious? ... Rolf, get out here now! ... Thanks, old pal ...

[SIZE=12pt]
ROFLSmiley.gif
[/SIZE]

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
evangelist-7 said:
Lots of people on Christian forums have revealed their belief that
God will successfully bring all BACs through the sanctification process,
but I won't dare say ... unto holiness!
However, I don't know if there's a name for their view.

And I tell them that man's free will can usurp God's will in this matter.
Since we are not robots, I assume that I am correct.
You assume wrong. I've already proven the perseverance of the saints here - http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/20423-a-summary-of-god%E2%80%99s-plan-re-sin-savior-sanctification-salvation/#entry233903

I wrote:

Then you replied:

Are you serious? ... Rolf, get out here now! ... Thanks, old pal ...

[SIZE=12pt]
ROFLSmiley.gif
[/SIZE]
I don't know what to make of such immaturity. I made a simple and fair request. The Reformed faith is confessional. Our theology is embedded in our historic confessions and catechisms. So far, no one has been able to show me from these historic documents where Calvinists teach that man is a "robot" in any, way, shape or form. I take it from your juvenile outburst that you're unable to produce the evidence I requested just like the others.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
evangelist-7 said:
[SIZE=12pt]Oh, oh ... dat serious Philly has done posted again to da Newbie trainee ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]
3459-1a86dcde63566be19c19234aaa5bdf5d.jpg
[/SIZE]
Acting like a 10 year old only serves to demonstrate that you're incapable of any serious discussion.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if man can usurp your gods power, you've got a pretty weak god
and i resent being forced into sounding like a calvinist, but enough with the pansy god you are witnessing. Mans will is nothing compared to the sovereignty of God

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:
...and i resent being forced into sounding like a calvinist, but enough with the pansy god you are witnessing. Mans will is nothing compared to the sovereignty of God
Welome to the dark side Aspen. lol

Reactions: aspen

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
aspen said:
if man can usurp your gods power, you've got a pretty weak god
and i resent being forced into sounding like a calvinist, but enough with the pansy god you are witnessing.

Mans will is nothing compared to the sovereignty of God
The red is the ramblings of a spiritual genius, no doubt about it.
Perhaps he would like to give us a hilarious exposition of:
Why God gave man free will