Jesus is Jehovah the YHWH of the Old Testament

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jehovah is the Hebrew name for God in the Old Testament. He is given as the Creator of the universe and everything in it. The name Yahweh comes from the Hebrew word for "I am," which was translated as 'Jehovah.' Whenever the name 'LORD' is printed in small caps in the Bible, it means 'YAHWEH'. For ancient Jews, the name 'YAHWEH' was so sacred that they would not speak it nor would they write it in full, but gave it as 'YHWH'.

Now the scriptures is very clear that Jesus Christ is not just our Savior, but is also the Creator of the universe, Jehovah 'YAHWEH' of the Old Testament. Notice carefully:

All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that has been made. John 1:3

He [Jesus] was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not. John 1:10

God, who created all things by Jesus Christ. Ephesians 3:9

For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. Colossians 1:16

Thus Jesus Christ is our Creator. The One who created, rested. Thus the Sabbath commandment, when correctly understood in the light of both the Old and New Testaments, points to Jesus Christ

Now some may say but God the great Jehovah created the earth in the beginning, but here is were the mystery of the GodHead has to be understood in order to understand who Jesus was.

Jesus is the Jehovah of ALL the Bible. He is the LORD Jehovah that walked in the cool of the day in Eden. Jesus was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Jesus was Jehovah God who gave the Ten Commandments. Jesus was Jehovah God who was in the pillar of fire by night and cloud by day. Jesus was Jehovah God who appeared to Moses in the fiery bush and declared I am that I am.

What Jesus claims about Himself - John 8:48-59
48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?
49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.
50 And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.
51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.
53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?
54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:
55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.
56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

With solemn dignity Jesus answered, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM. Silence fell upon the vast assembly. The name of God, given to Moses to express the idea of the eternal presence, had been claimed as His own by Jesus.

Lets look at this story of Moses and the burning bush in Exodus...
Exodus 3:14-15..
14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Now scripture shows us even more clearly who Christ is, if we just let the Holy Spirit guide us into truth.

THE FIRST AND THE LAST
Revelation 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Revelation 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

Revelation 2:8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

Revelation 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Isaiah 41:4
Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he.

Isaiah 44:6
Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:12
Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

Now lets look at who is the Savior:

Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am the LORD ; and beside me there is no saviour.

Isaiah 45:21
Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

Hosea 13:4
Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.

1Timothy 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;

2Peter 3:18
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Philippians 3:20
For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Jesus is truly the Creator, Jehovah 'YAHWEH', the First and the Last, our Savior and Lord of the Sabbath. It is His day of worship from Creation, the day of rest, made for man not man for the Sabbath..

Genesis 2:1-2
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.
2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

The Sabbath was for all mankind which the Creator gave us. Our Lord and Saviour shows us.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The JW NWT bible clearly teaches that Jesus is God.

NWT Jehovah / Jesus / "Mighty God", "the First and the Last"! "Searches the minds and hearts"!

NWT 1970 Heb 1:6 Let all God's angels WORSHIP him!

Of course JW's tried to edit that out!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, in the letter to the Colossians, Paul gives a description of Jesus which explains Christ's relationship to God the Father and to creation. Let's look at the text...

Colossians 1:15-21
King James Version (KJV)
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

Christ's relationship to His Father begins with the phrase "the image of the invisible God." The word 'image,' meaning copy or likeness, expresses Christ's deity. This word involves more than a resemblance, more than a representation. He is God! Although He took on human form, He has the express nature of the Father...
Hebrews 1:3
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

The "Word" of John 1:1 is a divine Person, not a theoretical abstraction. In the incarnation, the invisible God became visible in Christ; deity was clothed with humanity.

Matthew 17:2
And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

Mark 9:2
And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

All that God is, Christ is. The Bible shows us that Jesus is Lord of Creation. The description 'firstborn' speaks of Christ's preexistence. You can see that Jesus is called the first-born, not the first-created. The word "firstborn" (Greek word "prototokos") signifies priority. In the culture of the ancient times, the first-born was not necessarily the oldest child, as it referred not to birth order but to rank. The first-born possessed the inheritance and leadership. Therefore, the phrase ' the firstborn of every creature', expresses Christ's sovereignty over creation.

We also see the phrase recognizes Him as the Messiah, we see in these verses..
Psalm 89:27
Also I will make him [Christ] my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth.

Romans 8:29
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Six times the Lord Jesus is declared to be the first-born of God (see Colossians 1:15, 18; Hebrews 1:6; 12:23; Revelation 1:5). These passages declare the preexistence, the sovereignty, and the redemption that Christ offers.Thus, the phrase "first-born of all creation" proclaims Christ's preeminence.

Now lets look at the point made that Jesus is never called the 'Almighty' in the entire bible. Let us now turn to Revelation 1:8:

Revelation 1:8
I am the Alpha and the Omega, says Jehovah God, the One who is and who was, and who is coming, the Almighty.

Clearly, he who is Alpha and Omega, and who is also 'the Almighty' is 'Jehovah God' himself. Now lets look further in the Chapter:

Revelation 1:12-13
King James Version (KJV)
12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

John sees one 'like unto a son of man.' Now notice the context from here on, from verses 14 through 16 he is describing how this 'son of man' looked. Now this same son of man says in verses 17 and 18:

Revelation 1:17-18
King James Version (KJV)
17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

We notice, that the 'son of man' is the same person who, according to verse 17 and 18, is the 'First and the Last' and who also 'became dead.' Who else is this but Jesus Christ, who is constantly referred to through scripture as the 'son of man' and who 'became dead.' You have to say that the one speaking in verses 17 and 18 is Jesus, because you do not believe God can die. Now if it is true that this is Jesus, how is it that he is also called the First and the Last, which is the same as the Alpha and the Omega? And since God is the one claiming to be the 'Alpha and Omega' in verse 8, Jesus Christ, who also claims this title in verses 17 and 18, must therefore be the same one who spoke in verse 8. Now this poses a problem because he who spoke in verse 8 said that he is the 'Almighty.'

There is another reason to believe that the one speaking in verse 8 is the same person who speaks in verses 17 and 18. Verse 8 says that Jehovah God is the one 'who is coming.' There is another verse which also shows that God is the one coming found in Revelation 22:

Revelation 22:6-7
King James Version (KJV)
6 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Take note that it is 'Lord [Jehovah] God' who is coming 'quickly.' Now read verse 12 and 13:

Revelation 22:12-13
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be
13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

We see that God says that he is coming quickly, and also that he is Alpha and Omega. Now read the rest of the chapter, and note carefully verse 20, which reads:

Revelation 22:20
He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

We now find, that he who we have seen is coming quickly and claiming to be the 'Alpha and Omega' is none other then Jesus Christ.

Revelation 1:8
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read that the world was made by him, "and without him was not anything made that was made." If Christ made all things, he existed before all things, its laid out so clear that no one needs to be left in doubt. Christ was God essentially, and in the highest sense and was from all eternity.

Now if you look, everywhere where the Bible refers to The Son in the familiar name 'Jesus', it uses the Greek word "Iesous" (#2424). and we see Strong's definition:
2424 Ihsouv Iesous ee-ay-sooce'
of Hebrew origin 03091 ewvy; TDNT-3:284,360; n pr m
AV-Jesus 972, Jesus (Joshua) 2, Jesus (Justus) 1; 975
Jesus="Jehovah is salvation"
1) Jesus, the Son of God, the Saviour of mankind, God incarnate

The name Jesus means Jehovah or self-Existent Eternal One, and scripture tells us...

Hosea 13:4
Yet I am the LORD (Jehovah) thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.

Isaiah 43:11.
I, even I, am the LORD (Jehovah); and beside me there is no saviour.

If the Son of God were NOT Jehovah the self-Existent, Eternal One he would not be the Saviour of the world.

Isaiah 42:8
I am the LORD (Jehovah): that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

Ezekiel 39:7

So will I make my holy name known in the midst of my people Israel; and I will not let them pollute my holy name any more: and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD (Jehovah), the Holy One in Israel.

But if Christ is the Lord God Jehovah, it all comes together...
John 17:4-5
4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Mark 1:24
Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.

Luke 4:34
Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God

Acts 2:27
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Acts 3:14
But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;

Acts 13:35
Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

1 John 2:20
But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
YHVH or YHWH is a plural. The word Jesus is a singular.

YHVH is the totality of God in all his parts generally referred to as being 7.

Jesus represents the Logos.

Both are aspects of God but different. I'll add a picture for a visual example.

The Logos is the center dot and YHVH is the whole circle. So if you zoom out then the whole circle becomes a dot.

The All is in the One, and the One is in the All.

If you want to understand the words of Jewish Mystism like YHVH you need to study Kabbalah. Old Testament and Kabbalah go together.

Attachments

• Monad.svg.png
    Monad.svg.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 3

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YHVH or YHWH is a plural. The word Jesus is a singular.

YHVH is the totality of God in all his parts generally referred to as being 7.

Jesus represents the Logos.

Both are aspects of God but different. I'll add a picture for a visual example.

The Logos is the center dot and YHVH is the whole circle. So if you zoom out then the whole circle becomes a dot.

The All is in the One, and the One is in the All.

If you want to understand the words of Jewish Mystism like YHVH you need to study Kabbalah. Old Testament and Kabbalah go together.
Then you need to understand what scripture gives us...

Colossians 2:9
For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Jack

JohnD

Jan 24, 2024
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The JW NWT bible clearly teaches that Jesus is God.

NWT Jehovah / Jesus / "Mighty God", "the First and the Last"! "Searches the minds and hearts"!

NWT 1970 Heb 1:6 Let all God's angels WORSHIP him!

Of course JW's tried to edit that out!
One of many rewrites. Proving their extrabiblical doctrines and dogma supersede the authority of scripture.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One of many rewrites. Proving their extrabiblical doctrines and dogma supersede the authority of scripture.
Blindly believing scripture, doesn't matter what book it's in, is considered dogma aswell. If you accept things that you do not understand properly or cannot articulate in your own words, you are dogmatic.

The fact that people believe everything from the Bible is true without question is dogmatic. That's what dogma is!

And, there is no authority in scripture for somone who doesn't understand it correctly. Why would there be?

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For ancient Jews, the name 'YAHWEH' was so sacred that they would not speak it nor would they write it in full, but gave it as 'YHWH'.
For ancient Jews, vowels didn't exist in their Hebrew, so writing it in full was "YHWH" anyway. But you are right about their not speaking it.

JohnD

Jan 24, 2024
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blindly believing scripture, doesn't matter what book it's in, is considered dogma aswell. If you accept things that you do not understand properly or cannot articulate in your own words, you are dogmatic.

The fact that people believe everything from the Bible is true without question is dogmatic. That's what dogma is!

And, there is no authority in scripture for somone who doesn't understand it correctly. Why would there be?
John 17:17 (KJV)
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

No matter how you slice it, you either abide by the truth or...

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For ancient Jews, vowels didn't exist in their Hebrew, so writing it in full was "YHWH" anyway. But you are right about their not speaking it.
So is it just the traditional way of writing why they do that...

JohnD

Jan 24, 2024
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So is it just the traditional way of writing why they do that...
If I may...
The interpretation of the Jews "thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain"
included not mispronouncing his name. So they forbade pronouncing his name and instead
spoke the word "adonai" (lord) whenever they came across the name YHVH in the scriptures.

When vowel points were later introduced to the Hebrew scriptures (usually above or below the consonants)
and with YHVH they wrote the vowels for adonai to remind the reader to say adonai. This produced the hybrid
name Jehovah by later interpreters who did not know this about the Jewish substitution of adonai for YHVH and the
vowel point indicators.

Y later became J in re-translation from Hebrew to Greek to Latin and Germanic to modern English.

YHVH plus the vowels for adonai became YaHoVaH / Jehovah.

Some claim the high priests preserved the pronunciation of the name YHVH down through the ages, but most realize the exact pronunciation was lost over time from the paranoia of mispronouncing it.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I may...
The interpretation of the Jews "thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain"
included not mispronouncing his name. So they forbade pronouncing his name and instead
spoke the word "adonai" (lord) whenever they came across the name YHVH in the scriptures.

When vowel points were later introduced to the Hebrew scriptures (usually above or below the consonants)
and with YHVH they wrote the vowels for adonai to remind the reader to say adonai. This produced the hybrid
name Jehovah by later interpreters who did not know this about the Jewish substitution of adonai for YHVH and the
vowel point indicators.

Y later became J in re-translation from Hebrew to Greek to Latin and Germanic to modern English.

YHVH plus the vowels for adonai became YaHoVaH / Jehovah.

Some claim the high priests preserved the pronunciation of the name YHVH down through the ages, but most realize the exact pronunciation was lost over time from the paranoia of mispronouncing it.
Thank You my brother, I appreciate the insight...

Reactions: JohnD

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Blindly believing scripture, doesn't matter what book it's in, is considered dogma aswell. If you accept things that you do not understand properly or cannot articulate it in your own words you are
John 17:17 (KJV)
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

No matter how you slice it, you either abide by the truth or...
See, your statement is dogmatic. I'm in no way saying that the bible does not speak Truth. I have come to a place of intuitive understanding and I know it speaks Truth. Alot of people seem to misinterpret the bible to the point where it cannot be understood rationaly and can only be accepted as an irrational dogmatic belief. It is easy to tell these people apart because the dogmatic person cannot articulate the underlying Truth or lesson within the scripture and so they then will just copy and past scripture. Just because you copy and past something does not at all mean you understand it and in most cases it doesnt.

You see Truth as something only existing in the Bible or around Christianity. This is a toxic and false belief because it excludes everything else. And right here I can tell you do not understand what Truth is because the nature of Truth is inclusive, not exclusive. Exclusive behavior is that of the Ego. It is arrogant and ignorant and does not care for real Truth but only what "suits it".

Truth is an eternal principle that permiates all things.

"Split a piece of wood: I am there. Lift a stone, and you will find me there."

It existed before Christianity and will continue to exist when Christianity is forgotten. Truth is not ours to claim, it is there for us to accept and align ourself with.

JohnD

Jan 24, 2024
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blindly believing scripture, doesn't matter what book it's in, is considered dogma as well. If you accept things that you do not understand properly or cannot articulate it in your own words you are.
I think you've focused in on the wrong point I was making.
Tradition is not a bad thing so long as it is God's tradition.
The traditions of man Jesus condemned (Mark 7:7 / Mark 7:13 / Matthew 16:23 / John 8:44-45).

The same is true with dogma.

2 Peter 1:21 (KJV)
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think you've focused in on the wrong point I was making.
Tradition is not a bad thing so long as it is God's tradition.
The traditions of man Jesus condemned (Mark 7:7 / Mark 7:13 / Matthew 16:23 / John 8:44-45).

The same is true with dogma.

2 Peter 1:21 (KJV)
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Right, so when we see this critical line:

"but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

Do we intemperate this in a way that is exclusive and dogmatic, or do we intemperate in a way that is all inclusive and true.

An exclusive, dogmatic view would be that these men of God are only accepted as such if they are quote "Christians" and align themselves with the religious dogma of what the majority now accept without question.

An all inclusive, wholistic view that is both rational and intuitive would be that the "Holy Spirit" is a reference to one's inner conscience. The inner conscience being our connection to God and Truth, Morality and Law.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do I need to be a scholar to know that when Jesus mentioned his Father and his God he is talking about Jehovah?

John 8:54 Jesus answered: “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, the one who you say is your God. 55 Yet you have not known him, but I know him. And if I said I do not know him, I would be like you, a liar. But I do know him and am observing his word.

Acts 3:13 The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our forefathers, has glorified his Servant, Jesus, whom you handed over and disowned before Pilate, even though he had decided to release him.

What kind of darkness clouds the minds of so many people so that they do not have even the minimum level of reading comprehension when they read the Scriptures?

2 Cor. 4:3 If, in fact, the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

• Love
Reactions: Wrangler and APAK

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do I need to be a scholar to know that when Jesus mentioned his Father and his God he is talking about Jehovah?
No, but you should be able to read English. The JW bible says Jesus is God and Hell fire is "forever and ever"!