Job's friends failed him in his hour of need

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is simply amazing to see in the book of Job that his so-called friends -- Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar -- automatically assumed that he was guilty as sin, and called him a hypocrite to his face!

Friends are supposed to be there to stand with others in their time of need. But not Job's friends. They simply refused to accept the fact that even though Job was a righteous man and totally innocent, he was subjected to a burden of loss which hardly anyone has to face. His wealth was gone, his health was gone, his children were dead, his wife had abandoned him, his servants were ignoring him, and God was standing by to see how Job would hold up under the assaults of Satan.

The story of Job is an amazing and true account about how the richest man of "the East" (presumably Arabia) was brought down to the dust. Job was never told that Satan was behind all these attacks on his body and soul. But his "friends" had no problem telling him that it was because of his wickedness that he was being punished. They had never seen nor heard of a case where a righteous man was crushed by God to prove that he would maintain his integrity.

Then we have the case of Smart Alec Elihu who claimed to speak "in God's stead", but was simply another accuser of Job. His "wrath was kindled" against Job and his friends, and he made a pompous speech about how God would never deal harshly with an innocent man, and that Job had been "walking with wicked men" and was paying the price. While he extolled God's greatness, he falsely accused Job without even knowing what had happened in the background. So he turned out to be another false friend -- an accuser of the brethren.

There are many lessons for Christians in this book of Wisdom. We need to understand that God could deal with any of us as He dealt with Job, and allow Satan to destroy us. We also need to know that it will be a rare friend who will understand what is going on behind the scenes. Most of our friends will automatically assume that because we were at fault, we are paying the penalty for our sins, and receiving our just desserts. But only God will know the truth.

The only possible response in such a crisis will be to remember the words of Job in Job 13:15: Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. Eventually God reversed Job's misfortunes and blessed him abundantly. But did not tell him why all this had happened to him. Neither does God tell us why when He sends calamities upon us.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is simply amazing to see in the book of Job that his so-called friends -- Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar -- automatically assumed that he was guilty as sin, and called him a hypocrite to his face!

Friends are supposed to be there to stand with others in their time of need. But not Job's friends. They simply refused to accept the fact that even though Job was a righteous man and totally innocent, he was subjected to a burden of loss which hardly anyone has to face. His wealth was gone, his health was gone, his children were dead, his wife had abandoned him, his servants were ignoring him, and God was standing by to see how Job would hold up under the assaults of Satan.

The story of Job is an amazing and true account about how the richest man of "the East" (presumably Arabia) was brought down to the dust. Job was never told that Satan was behind all these attacks on his body and soul. But his "friends" had no problem telling him that it was because of his wickedness that he was being punished. They had never seen nor heard of a case where a righteous man was crushed by God to prove that he would maintain his integrity.

You are correct Enoch, but put yourself in their shoes, they knew Job well, a very righteous man who was very blessed by Jehovah, what would you think if all that happened to such a zealous servant of God? No doubt in my mind I would think he lost Jehovah's favor.

We have the Bible record that shows us we would have judged incorrectly now, so the lesson learned is that Jesus has the final judgment, we simply do not know an individual inside and out, as well as we cannot see what is going on behind the scenes in the spirit world. Most of my brothers and sisters have disfellowshipped me, and have labeled me an apostate, yet I am not one, and continue to live up to my dedication. I of course wonder what is going on, but like Job, I cannot see what is going on behind the scenes. I might be receiving training to test my integrity for an assignment in the future. I simply do not know. I have come close to walking away, but so far I haven't. I truly hope I will not walk away from Jehovah.

Then we have the case of Smart Alec Elihu who claimed to speak "in God's stead", but was simply another accuser of Job. His "wrath was kindled" against Job and his friends, and he made a pompous speech about how God would never deal harshly with an innocent man, and that Job had been "walking with wicked men" and was paying the price. While he extolled God's greatness, he falsely accused Job without even knowing what had happened in the background. So he turned out to be another false friend -- an accuser of the brethren.

There are many lessons for Christians in this book of Wisdom. We need to understand that God could deal with any of us as He dealt with Job, and allow Satan to destroy us. We also need to know that it will be a rare friend who will understand what is going on behind the scenes. Most of our friends will automatically assume that because we were at fault, we are paying the penalty for our sins, and receiving our just desserts. But only God will know the truth.

The only possible response in such a crisis will be to remember the words of Job in Job 13:15: Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. Eventually God reversed Job's misfortunes and blessed him abundantly. But did not tell him why all this had happened to him. Neither does God tell us why when He sends calamities upon us.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

there are a couple of things note worthy in Job. one is that God points out to Satan Job His servant who is righteous so on and so forth. hence the Word of God declarers Job righteous. now we know nothing can turn back the Word of God nor has the power to prove incorrect. so once the Lord said Job is righteous Job was righteous no matter what. as far as his friends go they didn't understand that anything can befall anyone righteous or not. as some say it rains on the wicked the same as the righteous. so they were convinced Job did something to tick off the Lord. the Lord knew this he made Job pray for them, and they were aware that Job had to pray for them so's they would receive what they thought a sinner should.

look at what befell guys like Peter or even the prophets in the OT. they were righteous men correct?

also Job makes a statement somewhere in his book to the effect that he wanted his story to be written, note that we can read it.

something else that should be noted here, no one is entitled anything, consider what happened to Job while yet God held him in some kind of good regard and see what God has to say to Job about it in the last chapters. Job's friends are irrelevant, what God declared Job was, is relevant.

and what was Job justified by? wasn't it faith, in that he was faithful.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
also Job makes a statement somewhere in his book to the effect that he wanted his story to be written, note that we can read it.
I love that part!

Job 19:23-27 KJV
23) Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!
24) That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!
25) For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26) And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27) Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can have a different perspective from Job.

Romans 5:1-5 KJV
1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

We can joyfully boast in our afflictions, knowing God is working great gain in us.

Much love!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love that part!

Job 19:23-27 KJV
23) Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!
24) That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!
25) For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26) And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27) Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Much love!

no doubt the book of Job is for the grownups

Reactions: marks

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then we have the case of Smart Alec Elihu who claimed to speak "in God's stead", but was simply another accuser of Job

But Elihu, the “smart alec” (as you say), isn’t accused by God of any error in this matter.

"And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job. So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went, and did according as the LORD commanded them: the LORD also accepted Job." (Job 42:7-9)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.

is that such a good thing that though He slays us …we will maintain our own ways before Him? The One who said My ways are higher and not your ways, My thoughts are higher and not your thoughts. Yet …though He slay me I WILL maintain my own ways and my own thoughts before Him.

a crucial “turning” moment: is when God turned the captivity of Job and heard Job’s prayer and answered it giving back what was loss with increase …when Job prayed for those who had persecuted him, despised him, cursed him, mocked him and despitefully used him.
^not Jobs ways and Jobs thoughts but instead higher “My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts are higher than your thoughts”

Mark 10:29-30 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, [30] But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
though He slay me I WILL maintain my own ways and my own thoughts before Him.

Romans 7:9-22 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. [10] And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. [11] For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. [12] Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. [13] Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. [14] For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. [15] For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. [16] If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. [17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. [19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. [20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. [22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
is that such a good thing that though He slays us …we will maintain our own ways before Him?
You have misunderstood what was said. Job was speaking about maintaining his integrity and his righteousness before God in spite of his calamities. As we know God did not find any fault with Job: "...for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath". Indeed God asked Job to pray for his friends, and for them to offer sacrifices for their evil-speaking concerning Job and God. Evidently Job had not seen God (or the glory of God) with his eyes, but after he saw God Job said "I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes".

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Isaiah 58:11-13 And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not. [12] And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in. [13] If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Job 35:16 Therefore doth Job open his mouth in vain; he multiplieth words without knowledge.

Job 38:1-6 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, [2] Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? [3] Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? [6] Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

Job 40:4-9 Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. [5] Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further. [6] Then answered the Lord unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said, [7] Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. [8] Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous? [9] Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?

Ezekiel 22:30-31 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none. [31] Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord God.

And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none. Revelation 5:3-6 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. [4] And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. [5] And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. [6] And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have misunderstood what was said. Job was speaking about maintaining his integrity and his righteousness before God in spite of his calamities. As we know God did not find any fault with Job: "...for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath". Indeed God asked Job to pray for his friends, and for them to offer sacrifices for their evil-speaking concerning Job and God. Evidently Job had not seen God (or the glory of God) with his eyes, but after he saw God Job said "I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes".
Whose integrity Jobs or Gods?

1 Corinthians 13:2-7 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [3] And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. [4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Only an opinion but page after page of Job vaunting up his own righteousness. It is easy to be Charitable when you are being Revered and exalted and favored and idolized…but then Job is having stuff thrown at him and being mocked. Much like Saul/Paul …or like when Christ told them this night many will be offended by me and will scatter…and I will be left alone, yet I’m not alone for my Father is with Me.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whose integrity Jobs or Gods?
You are another one of Job's so-called "friends"! Wanting to question his integrity and accusing him falsely of sinning. Who in the world would talk about God's "integrity"? We only talk about humans and their integrity.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Only an opinion but page after page of Job vaunting up his own righteousness.
The fact that it was God Himself who called Job "perfect" and "upright" should have been enough for you. And if Job refused to believe the lies of his friends, that too was his integrity.

But no, you choose to find fault with Job just when he was totally devastated. It would be interesting to see how you would have responded to TOTAL and ABSOLUTE DISASTER in your life had you been in his position.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are loved my friend . Go read chapters thirty one and forward . A fault is found in Job .
But his friends had no answer . God sent another to show Job his error .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are another one of Job's so-called "friends"! Wanting to question his integrity and accusing him falsely of sinning. Who in the world would talk about God's "integrity"? We only talk about humans and their integrity.

The fact that it was God Himself who called Job "perfect" and "upright" should have been enough for you. And if Job refused to believe the lies of his friends, that too was his integrity.

But no, you choose to find fault with Job just when he was totally devastated. It would be interesting to see how you would have responded to TOTAL and ABSOLUTE DISASTER in your life had you been in his position.

you totally misunderstood or maybe I said it wrong? I’m not hating on Job. Out of all the books when I first starting reading the Bible, the one I could relate to the most is Job. It is my own ways and my own thoughts that I hate and end up regretting even shameful of. Yet He says to trust in Him and His ways and His thoughts and you will not be ashamed.

Isaiah 65:1-2 I am sought of them that asked not for me ; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name. [2] I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Jeremiah 29:12-14 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. [13] And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. [14] And I will be found of you, saith the Lord : and I will turn away your captivity,(as the Lord turned the captivity of Job) and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you, saith the Lord ; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive.

your ways and your thoughts are from beneath and lead to death. My ways are higher from above, my thoughts higher from above and lead to life. Even supportive of “which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;” is lean not unto your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. [6] In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Do we want God to recompense upon our head our own ways and our own thoughts. Or recompense upon our Head which is Christ; His ways which are higher, and His thoughts which are higher than our own? For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear it as Job had no one to stand with him, and so he had to defend himself while being accused by his satanic friends.

I see a connection between the book of Job and the book of Acts chapter 24, where Paul has to stand before them and defend himself.

It's easier for me to Listen than to read:

Reactions: Enoch111

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I hear it as Job had no one to stand with him, and so he had to defend himself while being accused by his satanic friends.
The thought just occurred to me that had Job's "friends" simply stood with him, encouraged him, brought him a doctor to heal his sores, cleaned him up, fed him a good meal(s), given him a decent place to recover, etc. he would not have needed to say a single word. They did not need to say anything either. Just do what was necessary. But Job had to constantly respond to their attacks, hence all the words of Job.

The New Testament tells us that we need to take positive action when we see a need and can do something about it: Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. (1 John 3:16-18)

Reactions: Ziggy