John 1:1 looked at HONESTLY!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:38- nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one He sent.
39- You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you possess eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,

[WAIT! The scriptures "TESTIFY?" why that must mean they are a Person, too, since the holy spirit "testifies"!]

42- but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts.
44- How CAN you believe since you accept glory from one another but do NOT seek the glory that comes from the only God?

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:27- Don’t work for food that spoils. Work for food that gives eternal life.
The son of man will give you this food, because God the Father has given him the right to do so.

No one can give God the "right" to do anything...but He gave it to his son...

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:28- Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
29- Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

"The one He has sent".
So easy to understand- if you WANT to.

God SENT someone.
He did NOT come Himself!

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:36- It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

The spirit is never taught as a God, or even as a being. Here he even refers to his words as "spirit' ("breath").

(Isa 42:5- Thus saith God Jehovah, He that created the heavens, and stretched them forth;
He that spread abroad the earth and that which cometh out of it;
He that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein.-ASV)

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:37- All whom the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.
38- For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of Him who sent me.
39- And this is the will of Him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those He has given me,
but raise them up at the last day.

[This is the 'gospel']

40- For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will
raise them up at the last day."
41- At this the Jews there began to grumble about him because he said, "I am the bread that came down from heaven."
42- They said, "Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say,
'I came down from heaven'?"
43 -"Stop grumbling among yourselves," Jesus answered.
44- "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.
45- It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who has heard the Father and learned
from Him comes to me.
46- No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

Mad: Can the Supreme Being be "sent" by someone else? Of COURSE not!
NO ONE commands the Supreme Being; HE is the One who does the sending!
Thousands saw Jesus- NO ONE has seen God!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this is all you have, You have a weak argument

The triunity of God is found by taking all of scripture. Not a few verses in John 1.

As for with God.. The greek word means in the presence of. It would not make sense to say he was God twice.
1st, this thread is about John 1.

2nd, it is a rock solid argument when looking at the totality of Scripture, which does not one time mention the trinity or the divinity of Jesus. Not one time! Sure, all kinds of ambiguous statements, like John 1:1 are desperately reached for but fail basic scrutiny.

What does a singular pronoun refer to? 1 or 3?
yawn.

been here done that with you, continue in your unbelief I have no desire to go down this road with you again

Reactions: mailmandan

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Poor EG, it's not John 1:1 taken out of CONTEXT, but the entire book of John where Jesus refers to him.
Or, that isn't ENOUGH?
What does that have to do with the rest of scripture which speaks of God plural? Or in the OT where the God of Israel claims to be sent by the father and the spirit?

please read what I said, I said if John 1 is all you have you have. Weak argument,

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this is all you have, You have a weak argument

The triunity of God is found by taking all of scripture. Not a few verses in John 1.

As for with God.. The greek word means in the presence of. It would not make sense to say he was God twice.

yawn.

been here done that with you, continue in your unbelief I have no desire to go down this road with you again

Great! Bye bye.

Yawn.

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:67-Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also wish to go away?”
68- Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life;
69- and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the holy one of God.”

The Apostles didn't think Jesus was God....

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 7: 16- Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from the One who sent me.
17- Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.
18- Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the One who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.
19- Has not Moses given you the law? Yet not one of you keeps the law. Why are you trying to kill me?"

Does this sound like the Almighty God with all Authority and Power to YOU?

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 8: 14- Jesus answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know
where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going.
15- You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one.
16- But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me.
17- In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true.
18- I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me."

ALWAYS, Christ teaches He is separate; but as to the "Trinity" - is there yet ANOTHER "witness"? A GHOST?
No. Where is the 'Trinity'?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Now Trinitarians have Triune Tunnel Vision, focusing only only the "with"!
This is supposed to be "AN HONEST LOOK"????

Trinitarians do not have tunnel vision as you claim. We take the whole verse as one unit, knowing that "the Word" means "the Son" and the Son is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ.

So getting back to John 1:1:
1. IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD = gives the eternality of Christ
2. AND THE WORD WAS WITH GOD = gives the triune Godhead
3. AND THE WORD WAS GOD = confirms the deity of Christ.

Here "God" refers to God the Father, and "the Word" refers to God the Son. We know from other Scriptures that God the Holy Ghost is also within the Godhead.

Now the Jehovah's Witnesses DISHONESTLY make Jesus "a god" in this verse, otherwise their whole false doctrine falls flat on its face. But that is a dishonest rendering, and every English translation has "and the Word was GOD" (THEOS).

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why it means God are Gods!
Polytheism!

Have you ever looked up the word in a non-church source?
Even the most TERRIBLE translations never said "They" or "Us".
So A polytheistic God created the heavens and the earth?

Sorry but you will have to do better than this.

The church is called one, Yet it is many in person..

Jesus did not pray to himself. He did not promise to send himself when he left.

While you may have some support by taking certain scriptures by themselves. The scripture does not support your theories.

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:1 is describing the Unified Information Field by which everything manifests from...

full

Before anything was created, the Father, Word and Holy Ghost existed (and still does) as One within said Field.

This Unified Information Field is the 'Invisible God'. The Word is similar to Software Code that frames reality...

Hebrews 11:3
"Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

No offense OP, but it is clear that you do not understand the above verse. Thus, you 'dumb down' the Word of God to your limited understanding of Reality. If my post sounds like 'gobbly gook' to you, then we have confirmation of said.

Bottom Line:
The Father, Word and Holy Ghost are simply Three Manifested Foundational Forms that originate from the SINGLE Word of God.

Per the Sacred Text, these Three Manifested Foundational Forms create the physical world we live in...

full