John 3.16: Simple Gospel truth and profound theology

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a man does not receive the gift it does not belong to him. If the gift is rejected it will remain in the hands of the giver.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go ahead and have the last word. My last word on the subject, however, is that you are wrong. And this also applies to what you will say next on the matter.
And my last words are you are wrong, and have not a clue what Spiritual Gifts are. When God gives Gifts and Abiities they are given Sovereignly 1 Cor 12:4-11

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 but all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Rom 12:3,6

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

Rom 15:15

Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God,

1 Cor 1:4

I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;

2 Cor 12:7

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

Paul didnt have a choice but to receive the thorn in the flesh God gave Him !

Gal 2:9

And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And my last words are you are wrong, and have not a clue what Spiritual Gifts are. When God gives Gifts and Abiities they are given Sovereignly 1 Cor 12:4-11

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 but all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Rom 12:3,6

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

Rom 15:15

Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God,

1 Cor 1:4

I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;

2 Cor 12:7

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

Paul didnt have a choice but to receive the thorn in the flesh God gave Him !

Gal 2:9

And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
None of that tells us that a gift must not be received in order to be taken hold of...or that a man can receive the gift apart from actually receiving it.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of that tells us that a gift must not be received in order to be taken hold of...or that a man can receive the gift apart from actually receiving it.
You have no clue. Gifts are given, and they are received not offered, thats worldly thinking. Was Paul offered a thorn in the flesh or given ? It was a gift because God used it to keep him humble

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have no clue. Gifts are given, and they are received not offered, thats worldly thinking. Was Paul offered a thorn in the flesh or given ? It was a gift because God used it to keep him humble
That's a "gift" I would rather do without...a messenger of satan to buffet me? No thanks.

Paul's thorn, if it can be defined as a gift, is an exception to the rule.

The gift of salvation is offered by God and then received or else rejected by the sinner.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That was no gift and certainly didnt come from God, even if it was used for his good.