John 3.16: Simple Gospel truth and profound theology

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is their official site where you can download the app for free and watch the series for free.
This is so Powerful - The Chosen

The chosen is a crowd funded series of the life of Jesus which is very scripture based and it’s portrayed from the perspective of the people who saw and spoke to Jesus. It’s been watched by over 230 million people so far.

This verse John 3.16 is in that scene.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I agree. God send His agent--His own Son--into our fallen world so as to help restore us to God. To do so he had to endure this fallen world, and its punishments. But God's love is such that He wanted to recover us, seeing that there was yet hope for us. To save us he dealt with our sin legally, by the standards of God Himself. And he was, in fact, God reaching down to us in the form of man, suffering innocently just to rescue us.

<<<God send His agent--His own Son--into our fallen world so as to help restore us to God.>>>

I see reconciliation of God and man as God’s work. All things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ whom He sent, making Him both Lord and Savior. Jesus Christ did not come to help restore people to God, but to redeem His people, as the Redeemer.

Tong
R4151

Last edited:

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Yep, that tree of life is always better than that tree of knowledge of good and evil. It’s where we can find life.
As I read this, something came to mind.

When Adam and Eve had eaten of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, God did not want for them to have access to the tree of life, so that God took them out of the Garden and made sure that they would not get to eat of the tree of life.

Have you any thoughts about that?

Tong
R4152

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
If a man does not receive the gift it does not belong to him. If the gift is rejected it will remain in the hands of the giver.
Do you believe that every waking day is a gift of God that He gives each person?

Tong
R4153

Last edited:

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now exactly who are the ones believing in Jn 3:16 whom God gave His only begotten Son for ?

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Now the ones believing on His Name are the same exact ones who received Him. John had wrote about this earlier in Jn 1:12-13 observe this profound theology:

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood[ancestory], nor of the will of the flesh[mans will in the flesh], nor of the will of man[other mens desire], but of God.

The only ones believing on Jesus are the ones who had been born of God !

Thats the believing ones in Jn 3:16 Jesus was given to die for. Thats Gospel Truth !

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Now exactly who are the ones believing in Jn 3:16 whom God gave His only begotten Son for ?

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Now the ones believing on His Name are the same exact ones who received Him. John had wrote about this earlier in Jn 1:12-13 observe this profound theology:

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood[ancestory], nor of the will of the flesh[mans will in the flesh], nor of the will of man[other mens desire], but of God.

The only ones believing on Jesus are the ones who had been born of God !

Thats the believing ones in Jn 3:16 Jesus was given to die for. Thats Gospel Truth !
@brightfame52 Thanks for your contrib. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done, taking an evangelistic opportunity.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another truth about who believes in Jesus Christ according to Jn 3:16, its those who had been previously in the eternal counsel of God, that had been ordained to eternal life Acts 13:48

48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a lot of profound truth there is in John 3.16!

The verse combines a simple Gospel presentation with deep theology.
John 3:16 is indeed a description of the gospel, but I've never met a born again Christian who recieved the Lord based upon that verse (though I certainly haven't met them all.)
The verse doesn't address the "bad news" of godlessness, the fallen human nature and the universal need for a savior. Knowing and even recognizing that Jesus is the Son of God is not the same as recieving Him. The "demons believe and tremble."
The historian Flavius Josephus was a levitical priest of the 1st century and admitted in his writing that Jesus is the Son of God, yet shared nothing else about Him in his history, never made any claim to following Him, or gave any indication that He understood the significance of His appearing. He also gives a reference that suggests that the defenders of Jerusalem in 70AD had an expectation of Jesus' imminent return, but without saying whether this expectation was for salvation or destruction.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
John 3:16 is indeed a description of the gospel, but I've never met a born again Christian who recieved the Lord based upon that verse (though I certainly haven't met them all.)
The verse doesn't address the "bad news" of godlessness, the fallen human nature and the universal need for a savior. Knowing and even recognizing that Jesus is the Son of God is not the same as recieving Him. The "demons believe and tremble."
The historian Flavius Josephus was a levitical priest of the 1st century and admitted in his writing that Jesus is the Son of God, yet shared nothing else about Him in his history, never made any claim to following Him, or gave any indication that He understood the significance of His appearing. He also gives a reference that suggests that the defenders of Jerusalem in 70AD had an expectation of Jesus' imminent return, but without saying whether this expectation was for salvation or destruction.
@michaelvpardo "....should not perish..."

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo "....should not perish..."
Yes, I know the verse and it's one of the few that nearly every Christian has memorized, as well as many non Christians. However, some people have had pretty awful lives and the prospect of an everlasting one doesn't really have a great appeal without an understanding that life can be good, instead of just terrible all the time.