John 3:5... YES! ANOTHER BAPTISM THREAD!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems too me a lot of members on this forum place faith in their water baptism being the foundation of their salvation?

What if the one performing your baptism was a pagan worshiping a pagan god
Seems too me a lot of members on this forum place faith in their water baptism being the foundation of their salvation?
I know of none.

I would recommend against that....

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know of none.

I would recommend against that....
No one has answered yet, what qualifies one too baptize with water?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did Paul say I came not to baptize, seems to me under today’s theology Paul would have been more than qualified?
Why did Paul say I came not to baptize.
You would have to ask him that. I seem to recall him saying that He was glad that he did not baptize a group of people.
There was a concern in the biblical era and beyond who was baptizing.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did Paul say I came not to baptize.
You would have to ask him that. I seem to recall him saying that He was glad that he did not baptize a group of people.
There was a concern in the biblical era and beyond who was baptizing.
Could it just be that Paul had sense enough to know that he wasn’t standing there with the disciples when Jesus told THEM to go and baptize?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could it just be that Paul had sense enough to know that he wasn’t standing there with the disciples when Jesus told THEM to go and baptize?

This is why Paul said what he did about baptism.

1 Cor 1:10-17--Now I urge you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree in what you say, that there be no divisions among you, and that you be united with the same understanding and the same conviction. For it has been reported to me about you, my brothers, by members of Chloe’s household, that there is rivalry among you. What I am saying is this: Each of you says, “I’m with Paul,” or “I’m with Apollos,” or “I’m with Cephas,” or “I’m with Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was it Paul who was crucified for you? Or were you baptized in Paul’s name? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one can say you were baptized in my name. I did, in fact, baptize the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t know if I baptized anyone else. For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to evangelize — not with clever words, so that the cross of Christ will not be emptied of its effect.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Cor 1:10-17--Now I urge you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree in what you say, that there be no divisions among you, and that you be united with the same understanding and the same conviction. For it has been reported to me about you, my brothers, by members of Chloe’s household, that there is rivalry among you. What I am saying is this: Each of you says, “I’m with Paul,” or “I’m with Apollos,” or “I’m with Cephas,” or “I’m with Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was it Paul who was crucified for you? Or were you baptized in Paul’s name? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one can say you were baptized in my name. I did, in fact, baptize the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t know if I baptized anyone else. For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to evangelize — not with clever words, so that the cross of Christ will not be emptied of its effect.
What qualifies one to baptize with water?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why is there no salvation prior to Pentecost if this theology of salvation through water baptism will hold up?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What qualifies one to baptize with water?
Here is another response from an ECF
Who should Baptize…. Tertullian
For concluding our brief subject, it remains to put you in mind also of the due observance of giving and receiving baptism. Of giving it, the chief priest (who is the bishop) has the right: in the next place, the presbyters and deacons, yet not without he bishop’s authority, on account of the honor of the Chruch, which being preserved, peace is preserved. Beside these, even laymen have the right; for what is equally received can be equally given. Unless bishops, or priests, or deacons, be on the spot other disciples are called i.e. to the work. The word of the Lord ought not to be hidden by any: in like manner, too, baptism, which is equally God's property, can be administered by all. But how much more is the rule of reverence and modesty incumbent on laymen seeing that these powers belong to their superiors — lest they assume to themselves the specific function of the bishop! Emulation of the Episcopal office is the mother of schisms. The most holy apostle has said, that all things are lawful, but not all expedient. Let it suffice assuredly, in cases of necessity, to avail yourself (of that rule , if at any time circumstance either of place, or of time, or of person compels you (so to do); for then the steadfast courage of the succourer, when the situation of the endangered one is urgent, is exceptionally admissible; inasmuch as he will be guilty of a human creature's loss if he shall refrain from bestowing what he had free liberty to bestow.

Reactions: Philip James

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks for the response PJ, but you have to admit that’s pretty vague.

Is it? It says that when done with the proper intention and using the Trinitarian formula anyone may baptize in necessity...

Hypothetical demonstration....

2 men in a foxhole being over run by the enemy, neither baptized, but both express a desire to be.. They can baptize each other.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it? It says that when done with the proper intention and using the Trinitarian formula anyone may baptize in necessity...

Hypothetical demonstration....

2 men in a foxhole being over run by the enemy, neither baptized, but both express a desire to be.. They can baptize each other.
What if there’s only one in the pit?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus