John Calvin and Calvinism.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thus the problem...You try to think!!! Does God really need to win over the elect???
I think not .... you have no understanding of the elect....Do you???

NASB Joh 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws (DRAGS) him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

CEV Joh 6:44 No one can come to me, unless the Father who sent me makes them want to come. But if they do come, I will raise them to life on the last day.

Joh 6:44
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him,66 and I will raise him up at the last day.

Net Bible

Joh 6:44 -
66tn Or "attracts him," or "pulls him." The word is used of pulling or dragging, often by force. It is even used once of magnetic attraction (A. Oepke, TDNT 2:503).
sn The Father who sent me draws him. The author never specifically explains what this "drawing" consists of. It is evidently some kind of attraction; whether it is binding and irresistible or not is not mentioned. But there does seem to be a parallel with Joh_6:65, where Jesus says that no one is able to come to him unless the Father has allowed it. This apparently parallels the use of Isaiah by John to reflect the spiritual blindness of the Jewish leaders (see the quotations from Isaiah in Joh_9:41 and Joh_12:39-40).

Let me throw you a Bone... lifelong sinner...
NASB Eph 1:11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will,
Net Eph 1:11 In Christ28 we too have been claimed as God's own possession,29(G280) since we were predestined (G4309) according to the one purpose of him who accomplishes all things according to the counsel of his will

29 tn Grk "we were appointed by lot." The notion of the verb κληρόω (klēroō) in the OT was to "appoint a portion by lot" (the more frequent cognate verb κληρονομέω [klēronomeō] meant "obtain a portion by lot"). In the passive, as here, the idea is that "we were appointed [as a portion] by lot" (BDAG 548 s.v. κληρόω 1). The words "God's own" have been supplied in the translation to clarify this sense of the verb. An alternative interpretation is that believers receive a portion as an inheritance: "In Christ we too have been appointed a portion of the inheritance." See H. W. Hoehner, Ephesians, 226-27, for discussion on this interpretive issue.
Word study
G2820

κληρόω
klēróō; contracted klērṓ, fut. klērṓsō, from klḗros (G2819), a lot. To cast lots, determine by lot, i.e., to determine something, choose someone. In Eph_1:11, it means, "in whom the lot has fallen upon us also, as foreordained thereto . . . to be" (a.t.). The idea expressed here is that Christians have become heirs of God due to the fact that God predestined them according to His purpose. In a manner of speaking, the "lot" fell to believers not by chance but solely because of the gracious and sovereign decision of God- Almighty to select them to be His heirs.

Deriv.: prosklēróō (G4345), to give or assign by lot.

I'm done with the LOT of you LL sinner ...LOL.... But you gotta love it.... You went full Calvin in the same ignorance that Calvin claimed when He said the apostle's were idiots like I already showed and proved in his writings! Then he goes and kills anyone who disagrees with him... documented in History!!!

So Lifelong sinner, were you chosen by Lot? By your name you claim to be a sinner... as if that some how makes you chosen... I'm thinking who knows.... ???

Lifelong sinner.... You have no say!!! Just like Calvin taught!!!

Your a Spiritual Child... not knowing any thing your taught to believe by the traditions of men you follow!

NASB Act 13:48
When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

Lifelong sinner... how do you know if you have been appointed? You getting the clear picture NOW... or do you still want to defend Calvin's actions and killing of Servetus ? What did Jesus teach??? Love or Murder?? Your on the same path as Calvin...

Why do you think I post so BOLDLY.... Because I see... I'm the one eyed man... in the land of the blind here...
Paul

oh boy, we got “another” one of thems. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Seems like thats all we get these days.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not preaching Servetus. He isn't my Master.

I am drawing attention to the fact that Calvin wasn't guiltless in desiring the death of Servetus.

You, like Calvin had no problem with desiring that your fellowmen be murdered for what they believe.

So much for that great "1st Amendment" Americans supposedly pride themselves in believe. Unlike you, I actually believe in the 1st Amendment. Servertus didn't do anything to deserve the death he received under our 1st Amendment. We rightfully believe that the Truth "stands up" to scrutiny. You don't believe such. You want to silence others. I do not.

Just like Calvin, you're glad that Servertus was killed. If you were there, you would do it yourself. You're evil men.
The stupidity of this post is astounding.

First, why are you talking about the 1st Amendment? America wasn't even a country then and we aren't even talking about America. So why you bring that up with regard to Servetus I have no idea.

Second, where in the world do you get that I was glad that Servetus was killed? That is NOTHING I have ever said. I demand an apology for that detestable lie against my character and you should honestly be getting a ban for that one.

Third, you still need to study the history of what ACTUALLY happened and not this false narrative you are putting forth. You should be ashamed of yourself for telling so many lies.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll speak for PY, then:

"Okay, game, set, and match. You made me look silly. But there's just GOTTA be SOMETHING that makes John Calvin a monster! There's just GOTTA be!"

:)

Grace and peace to you.
Yeah his response was that I wanted Servetus murdered too and that somehow I hate the 1st Amendment because of it.... Go figure. Idiocy.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, he is right, actually, that God doesn't "need to win over His elect." :) I think you probably mean it in the right way, but your putting it that way sort of makes it out to be something along the lines of Him up there going, "Dude, I hope this works, but I'm just not sure..." :) And of course that's... not the case. :)

Grace and peace to you, LS.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The stupidity of this post is astounding.

First, why are you talking about the 1st Amendment? America wasn't even a country then and we aren't even talking about America. So why you bring that up with regard to Servetus I have no idea.

The 1st Amendment is a principle that we live by. We allow others to freely speak when it comes to religion. Calvin didn't believe this at all. He desired the death of Servertus for simply saying something contrary to what he taught.

Second, where in the world do you get that I was glad that Servetus was killed? That is NOTHING I have ever said. I demand an apology for that detestable lie against my character and you should honestly be getting a ban for that one.

You are defending Calvin desire to see his enemies suffer. Surely your support of Calvin involves defending his position that those who oppose Calvinism should die. It is a logical conclusion.

Third, you still need to study the history of what ACTUALLY happened and not this false narrative you are putting forth. You should be ashamed of yourself for telling so many lies.

I've known the facts of the situation for decades. I haven't said anything contrary to the facts of the situation.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah his response was that I wanted Servetus murdered too and that somehow I hate the 1st Amendment because of it.... Go figure. Idiocy.

You are the one that defended the death of Severtus.... not me....

I don't believe people should die for rejecting my religion. I let God take vengeance. No man can do what God alone does.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are defending Calvin desire to see his enemies suffer. Surely your support of Calvin involves defending his position that those who oppose Calvinism should die. It is a logical conclusion.

wow!! So not only are us calvinists wrong theologically, not only do we Read what “demon filled” calvin wrote about, but now, we’re murderers too. I mean, if this aint some calvin hating, then i dont know what is. What in the world did calvin do to some of yall??

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, he is right, actually, that God doesn't "need to win over His elect." :) I think you probably mean it in the right way, but your putting it that way sort of makes it out to be something along the lines of Him up there going, "Dude, I hope this works, but I'm just not sure..." :) And of course that's... not the case. :)

Grace and peace to you, LS.

i do think God uses people to get His will done sometimes, like jonah. He doesnt have to, but i do He does sometimes. Calvin was another person that i think God used to help others understand His word. Sorry for the mis-wording.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 1st Amendment is a principle that we live by. We allow others to freely speak when it comes to religion. Calvin didn't believe this at all. He desired the death of Servertus for simply saying something contrary to what he taught.

I've known the facts of the situation for decades. I haven't said anything contrary to the facts of the situation.
More stupidity. The 1st Amendment doesn't apply, it didn't exist. And again, READ THE HISTORY and not just the nonsense you have been told about the situation. Calvin actually warned Servetus to NOT come to Geneva. And by the way, Servetus thought Calvin should die too... In case you didn't know....

I'm not defending Calvin's desire of anything. I am saying you need to check your HISTORY.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More stupidity. The 1st Amendment doesn't apply, it didn't exist.

Why does it not apply? It is a principle that we accept as being true in life. It doesn't matter if it existed during the time of Servetus or not. Servetus was killed for preaching against Calvinism.

Is that a crime worthy of death?

And again, READ THE HISTORY and not just the nonsense you have been told about the situation. Calvin actually warned Servetus to NOT come to Geneva.

AGAIN. I know it better than you do. Don't believe the nonsense you've been told about the situation.

And by the way, Servetus thought Calvin should die too... In case you didn't know....

Prove it....

I'm not defending Calvin's desire of anything. I am saying you need to check your HISTORY.

I have. Many times.

You obviously agree that Servetus should have died.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This dude has lost his mind. You cant reason with people like PY. He hates facts, and he lets his emotions dictate his actions.

I love facts. What facts do you say I hate?

The only reason you say "I've lost my mind" is because I am more than capable of proving Calvinism isn't anything more than man made egotistical nonsense that promotes man and not Jesus Christ.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thems what? I just showed you how the Elect are chosen....

Seems from your response ... You may not actually be chosen...? Don't hate me for pointing it out! Perhaps Calvin can come to your defense...?
It seemed to go well with Miguel Servetus... or will you unlike Servetus.... BURN FOREVER.... ?

Pray to your Calvin my friend... So sad what people follow....
Paul

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he lets his emotions dictate his actions.

Calvinist often use this argument. It is obvious that Calvinists are "past feeling" and they "like it that way".....

Eph 4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Greedy little Calvinists always seeking to limit the kingdom of God to others.