"Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Faith" - Has 500 Years Taught Us Nothing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm. I remember something about your last paragraph.
What do you mean about the Papal Roman Antichrist in 538 ad?
I ask because the pope was not always called pope...
The Protestant Reformers understood the Antichrist to be the "office of the papacy", the leadership over the abominable amalgamation of the Catholic church and the Secular State. It is this system that claims to "take the place of Christ" on Earth for all humans - which is what the word "Antichrist" means - to be "instead of", "in behalf of", "in place of", Christ. Hence the name "Antichrist". The Reformers knew full well how the papacy fulfills every single identifying mark of Antichrist in Scripture, even down to denying that Christ came "in the flesh" because of the "Immaculate Conception" teaching, which refers to "MARY", not Jesus.

Mary is said to have been "immaculately conceieved and preserved from all stain of original sin" - and since her flesh is claimed to have been "uncorrupted" (false claim) the papacy claims that Jesus' flesh was also not like ours, leaving Him unapproachable by us except we approach Him through the mediation of Mary, the church, the saints. Thus, the papal Antichrist denies that Jesus came in the same old, 4,000 year old, weak, fallen flesh as we have, yet Him without sin.

Every...single...identifying mark.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - the sources DON'T say that they have official approval of the Catholic Church.
That would take a nihil obstat or at least an imprimatur.
We have listed tons of papal sources with the imprimatur stamped on them to show you how out of line with Scripture papists are, yet you refuse to accept such sources.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have listed tons of papal sources with the imprimatur stamped on them to show you how out of line with Scripture papists are, yet you refuse to accept such sources.
The issue at hand is a Protestant minister's comments about how the Catholic Church places the Papacy over the Scriptures.
This was NOT claimed by the Catholic Church but by a Protestant minister.

You guys are at the point now where you're inventing your garbage as you go along.
Talk about pathetic desperation . . .

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop lying.
I'm not "lying".
I'm just exposing YOUR lies.

It's obvious you're a pretty uneducated person who likes to repeat unsubstantiated lies made by others.
You would do yourself a great service by doing some actual research into some of this manure before posting.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue at hand is a Protestant minister's comments about how the Catholic Church places the Papacy over the Scriptures.
This was NOT claimed by the Catholic Church but by a Protestant minister.

You guys are at the point now where you're inventing your garbage as you go along.
Talk about pathetic desperation . . .
The statements in question are not that of a Protestant minister...they are those of a papist.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's because Rome crucified Christ, destroyed the Temple, and persecuted Christians afterwards in the inquisition etc. It was a "good guess" at the time. Rome no longer persecutes people. And every nation mentioned in last day prophecies are all Islamic today.

So please, I've asked you before, "Where is Rome specifically prophesied in end-time prophecy? Somebody must have an answer!
The Roman catholic papacy arose right as prophecy predicted, among the "ten horns" which arose immediately after dust of the fallen fourth beast of Daniel 7 settled - Pagan Rome.

"Papal Rome" came up among the "ten horns" which were the ten barbarian tribes which stood after the dust settled of the fall of the fourth beast. It began it's reign in 538 A.D., after it uprooted 3 of the "first horns", the Vandals, the Herui, and the Ostrogoths which refused to recognize the absolute power and authority of the Bishop of Rome as over the church.

"Vandalism" comes from the uprising of the Vandals, when they went through the land "vandalizing" the idols that the papacy had begun to erect throughout Christianity - renamed pagan statues with "Peter", "Mary", etc.

It reigned for 1,260 symbolic prophetic days (literal years, from 538 A.D. to 1798 A.D.) and in 1798 received a "deadly wound" when the papacy was dissolved...until the "deadly wound was healed" in 1929 and now "all the world wondered after the beast".

Textbook Historicism. And yet so many have swallowed the Jesuit Futurist hook and the whole "7 last years of tribulation" story.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
n o you just protest against God Christ The Holy Spirit and the truth, that your doctrines are greater than Gods, makes you and Hypocrits, this little bit

Mat 15:7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

and again

Mar 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

and just in case you have no understanding

Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
Col 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

and to be doubly sure

1Ti_4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

so now you will never be able to say "i didnt know"

Joh 9:40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
Joh 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

and this which is the best description of it all

1Co_6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.

and one more

1Co_6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.

thats why you all sound the same just as the SDA's do.

and just for you

Mat_23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
mrhealth......You can quote the entire bible......I still protest your lies and pray to God you are unable to tickle anyone's ears.

Your response reminds me of Matthew 15:8!!

You quote a lot of scripture that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. I suspect it is because it makes you feel good and you THINK you are honoring Him by doing that??? But your heart is far, far away from Him because you don't know Him. You twist His words to your own destruction.

My prayers are with you.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what?

The Catholics picked December 25 because they calculated, incorrectly, that was when Christ was born. Then they adapted the pagan festival to serve their purposes.

The Christmas tree, Yule Log and other aspects of Christmas also were adopted from paganism.

Try as you will but the origins of Christmas are pagan.

There are no holy days in the New Testament.

Easter came from the worship of Ishtar.

To bring pagan societies into the Catholic fold adopting portions of their religions was the norm. As in Easter, Christmas, Queen Mary, holy water and prayer beads.
Hi,

You have given ZERO evidence that December 25th was "adopted from paganism".

LAST CHANCE: Where is your evidence that The Church "picked December 25th" to "serve their purposes"? I patiently await your "extensive studies" on this issue. If you don't produce evidence of your claim in your response to me then this conversation is closed. I'm tired of beating a dead horse....;)

Patient Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easter came from the worship of Ishtar.
Easter celebrates is the resurrection of Jesus and it is celebrated in conjunction with Passover because Jesus was crucified at Passover and rose the following Sunday. The name for the Christian celebration of Easter is derived from the Greek word Pascha, which comes from pesach, the Hebrew word for Passover.

Read your bible. Learn your Christian history. Learn linguistics.

Your welcome.....Bible study and historical Mary

I have given you my evidence that your statement is incorrect. Please give your evidence of your statement.

Patient Mary

B

brakelite

Quote... The name for the Christian celebration of Easter is derived from the Greek word Pascha, which comes from pesach, the Hebrew word for Passover. Not quite correct. the word 'easter' is anglo saxon in origin.
The modern English term Easter, cognate with modern Dutch ooster and German Ostern, developed from an Old English word that usually appears in the form Ēastrun, -on, or -an; but also as Ēastru, -o; and Ēastre or Ēostre.[nb 3] The most widely accepted theory of the origin of the term is that it is derived from the name of an Old English goddess mentioned by the 7th to 8th-century English monk Bede, who wrote that Ēosturmōnaþ (Old English 'Month of Ēostre', translated in Bede's time as "Paschal month") was an English month, corresponding to April, which he says "was once called after a goddess of theirs named Ēostre, in whose honour feasts were celebrated in that month".[23]

In Latin and Greek, the Christian celebration was, and still is, called Pascha (Greek: Πάσχα), a word derived from Aramaic פסחא (Paskha), cognate to Hebrew פֶּסַח (Pesach). The word originally denoted the Jewish festival known in English as Passover, commemorating the Jewish Exodus from slavery in Egypt.[24][25] As early as the 50s of the 1st century, Paul, writing from Ephesus to the Christians in Corinth,[26] applied the term to Christ, and it is unlikely that the Ephesian and Corinthian Christians were the first to hear Exodus 12 interpreted as speaking about the death of Jesus, not just about the Jewish Passover ritual.[27] In most of the non-English speaking world, the feast is known by names derived from Greek and Latin Pascha.[3][28] Pascha is also a name by which Jesus himself is remembered in the Orthodox Church, especially in connection with his resurrection and with the season of its celebration.[29]

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quote... The name for the Christian celebration of Easter is derived from the Greek word Pascha, which comes from pesach, the Hebrew word for Passover. Not quite correct. the word 'easter' is anglo saxon in origin.

The modern English term Easter, cognate with modern Dutch ooster and German Ostern, developed from an Old English word that usually appears in the form Ēastrun, -on, or -an; but also as Ēastru, -o; and Ēastre or Ēostre.[nb 3] The most widely accepted theory of the origin of the term is that it is derived from the name of an Old English goddess mentioned by the 7th to 8th-century English monk Bede, who wrote that Ēosturmōnaþ (Old English 'Month of Ēostre', translated in Bede's time as "Paschal month") was an English month, corresponding to April, which he says "was once called after a goddess of theirs named Ēostre, in whose honour feasts were celebrated in that month".[23]

In Latin and Greek, the Christian celebration was, and still is, called Pascha (Greek: Πάσχα), a word derived from Aramaic פסחא (Paskha), cognate to Hebrew פֶּסַח (Pesach). The word originally denoted the Jewish festival known in English as Passover, commemorating the Jewish Exodus from slavery in Egypt.[24][25] As early as the 50s of the 1st century, Paul, writing from Ephesus to the Christians in Corinth,[26] applied the term to Christ, and it is unlikely that the Ephesian and Corinthian Christians were the first to hear Exodus 12 interpreted as speaking about the death of Jesus, not just about the Jewish Passover ritual.[27] In most of the non-English speaking world, the feast is known by names derived from Greek and Latin Pascha.[3][28] Pascha is also a name by which Jesus himself is remembered in the Orthodox Church, especially in connection with his resurrection and with the season of its celebration.[29]
Hi Brakelite. Thank you for your input. You should read ALL of what Wikipedia (of which you quoted) has to say about the subject.

I am already familiar with Bebe. He was an 8th century British historian that claimed that the word Easter came from the name of the month in which it occurred (basically, April). He said this month used to be called Eostur, though this was no longer true in his day. He also thought the month was named after a Germanic goddess who was no longer worshipped. Bede is the only source who mentions this goddess, no other historical source confirms Bede’s account.

Regardless of Bebe and his theory..... this applies only to the origin of the English word, not the origin of the feast. Its origin is revealed by its name in other languages. In Italian, it’s Pasqua; in Spanish, Pascha; in Portugese, Páscoa; in French, Pâques; in Danish, Paaske; in Dutch, Pasen; in Swedish, Påsk; and so on. All of these derive from the Latin Pascha or Greek Paskha, both of which are words for the Jewish feast of Passover (Hebrew, Pesakh).

Thank you for your input. I hope I learnt' ya something!! :)

Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The statements in question are not that of a Protestant minister...they are those of a papist.
WRONG.

I've already schooled you on the fact that they were made by a BAPTIST minister, Einstein.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
mrhealth......You can quote the entire bible......I still protest your lies and pray to God you are unable to tickle anyone's ears.

Your response reminds me of Matthew 15:8!!

You quote a lot of scripture that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. I suspect it is because it makes you feel good and you THINK you are honoring Him by doing that??? But your heart is far, far away from Him because you don't know Him. You twist His words to your own destruction.

My prayers are with you.
Your sarcasm falls on deaf ears, Jesus came to set men free, but you like so many religious people love your prison.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your sarcasm falls on deaf ears, Jesus came to set men free, but you like so many religious people love your prison.
Your false teaching falls on deaf ears. You, and your relativist friends, love your prison because inside your prison nobody knows the truth except you....even though all of your truths are different all of you think you have the truth. I feel sad for you.

My prayers are with you

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your false teaching falls on deaf ears. You, and your relativist friends, love your prison because inside your prison nobody knows the truth except you....even though all of your truths are different all of you think you have the truth. I feel sad for you.

My prayers are with you
Yes that is what Jesus said of the blind leading teh blind, is ok its a big ditch plenty of room

on and Christ is not a prison He cam to set men free for Prison, but some prefer there prison to the freedom than is in Christ.

and you not a very good Japanese food cook as your sarcyasm taste really bad, might need to change teh bait or the hook.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Yes the EU is a mess, which opens the door for the AC just like the city states of Greece being a mess open the doors for Alexander the great.

First of all, no country is going to take over the world, second the AC would not rule Greece but from the EU with its capital at Rome.

The EU is moving in that direction now. They began as strictly an economic coalition but now they're trying to be a full-fledged government with a military.
They did everything backwards in trying to copy the U.S.
The capital of the EU is in Brussels, as I'm sure you know.
Nothing good comes out of Rome.
Maybe the Pope could move back to Avignon or something...
or maybe to Brussels.

Anyway, I don't know enough about this to discuss it...
I just know that I don't believe the Pope is the anti-Christ.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You mean supreme pontiff which comes from the Latin pontifex maximus Which came from pagan Roman religion and was the head of the college of Pontiffs.
How does Pontifex Maximus come from a pagan Roman religion?
The word Pontefice, which is Italian for the Latin Pontifex...means the bridge between man and God....the one who builds the bridge.

The word "pope" came into being from the first Christians...they used to call the major bishops "papa" or "dad". It was an endearing term.

I have never read that it began in a pagan Roman religion...
do you have a source?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The ten toes of Daniel are the ten barbarian divisions of the fourth beast which was predicted to be divided. The "little horn" is the papacy which arose among the ten and uprooted three:

the Vandals
Heruli
Ostrogoths

...because these three refused to recognize the sovereign authority of the Bishop of Rome and he wasn't having it.

The other 7 barbarian tribes evolved into modern Europe:
the Anglo Saxons (England)
the Francs (France)
the Visigoths (Spain)
the Allemeni (Germany)
the Suevi (Portugal)
the Lombards (Italians)
the (Burgundians (Swiss)

Lest you think I'm crazy, here's a picture of the Nuernberg Rathaus in Germany, where the Protestant Reformers of the Reformation had hired the best sculptor to chisel in stone for all posterity to see just what was the eschatology interpretation of Daniel's beasts which was understood universally by the Great Reformers of the Great Protestant Reformation:

View attachment 5114
On the left, they chiseled the Lion with Eagles wings with Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzer, and the right, the Bear with Medo-Persian king Darius.

View attachment 5115
On the left, they chiseled the four headed Leopard with Greek king Alexander the Great, and the right, the Dragon-like Beast with the Roman Caesar...along with the Ten Horns on its head symbolizing the ten barbarian divisions of Rome when it fell apart.

View attachment 5116
...and if you look closely at the Ten Horns, they chiseled another Little Horn, with a figure adorned with the papal crown, which they represented as the office of the papacy. These guys didn't give a hoot about PC, unlike the pathetic "evangelicals" of today.

People think Phoneman777 makes this stuff up, but if only people would put down the propaganda and take a look at what the Protestant Reformation was all about and why these issues were important enough for God fearing men to die for.
I don't think you're crazy. There's just too much differing opinion on the above.
I don't know if the Anti-Christ was discussed before the reformation in the 1,500's.
Anti-Christs were spoken of, as the N.T. speaks of .. someone being against Christ.
This I know is biblical.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They did everything backwards in trying to copy the U.S.
The capital of the EU is in Brussels, as I'm sure you know.
Nothing good comes out of Rome.
Maybe the Pope could move back to Avignon or something...
or maybe to Brussels.

Anyway, I don't know enough about this to discuss it...
I just know that I don't believe the Pope is the anti-Christ.

They didn't try to copy the US. They were doing everything he could to move to socialism.
How does Pontifex Maximus come from a pagan Roman religion?
The word Pontefice, which is Italian for the Latin Pontifex...means the bridge between man and God....the one who builds the bridge.

The word "pope" came into being from the first Christians...they used to call the major bishops "papa" or "dad". It was an endearing term.

I have never read that it began in a pagan Roman religion...
do you have a source?

No, did not exist in the early church. Nor were there any major. Bishops

Yes the seeds of Catholicism began early, but not Catholicism.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States