*Just a chatting place *

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very resourceful! I recently bought a sharpening stone for my dogs clippers but, seems I use it more for my kitchen knives and scissors. I saw some of the posts when you were talking about clipping your dogs nails...I have 3 mini schnauzers and all have black nails. I get nervous, especially with 2 of the 3 as they tend to jerk their leg as I'm about to clip...long short (lol) I just purchased a new pair of nail clippers that have a guard on them and will try that soon. They just had them done so, I will wait a couple weeks.

BTW-they are much better with the hair clippers...and that is what I bought the sharpening stone for, not the "nail" clippers...DOH!

Curious ~ Are you talking about hair "clippers", that you plug in, like a barber's tool?
Or hair "scissors" ?

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Pearl! That hack was from @Taken 's post and, I was just commenting on it...I don't want to take credit for Takens post, lol!

No biggie....tips that might help an other is for sharing. :)

Hey and BTW....grocery store prices are outrageous now...I'm expecting all the crazy weather we have had in central US, to make food cost sky-rocket...Just saying for those who have freezers to pre-plan.
(Almost any food can be frozen.)

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No biggie....tips that might help an other is for sharing. :)

Hey and BTW....grocery store prices are outrageous now...I'm expecting all the crazy weather we have had in central US, to make food cost sky-rocket...Just saying for those who have freezers to pre-plan.
(Almost any food can be frozen.)

God Bless,
Taken

Ahh, such usury! Making money off of another's misfortune. Buffalo Ny does the same thing and people go nuts! Store shelves get emptied quickly. I can live on very little food and get by fine but, all of the families who have MANY mouths to feed...that is not right. Thank God for food pantry's and soup kitchens! And, those who volunteer their time there are also blessed ♥

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Curious ~ Are you talking about hair "clippers", that you plug in, like a barber's tool?
Or hair "scissors" ?

God Bless,
Taken

The stone I bought was meant for the hair (electric) clippers but, I seem to use it for other things as well and the scissors are the ones I use to trim around their faces. I do my own grooming between the professional groom about 3 times yearly. I can do it, but they don't look near as good as the shop does, lol....I just don't want them to get matted...and if I do not keep up with it, they WILL get matted fast!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have food pantrys now as well as food banks in the UK.

Awesome! Some of the people that come to the pantry's are so lost and broken. Even just a smile and a kind word can make their day! It can also make them want to hang around you, lol...now, that's not always a good idea as, they have learned, from living on the streets and missions, how to get things from people so, I wouldn't be giving out my phone or address to them! Lol...they are well fed and clothed around here as, there seems no end to the donations we get from the well to do, even brand new stuff! ♥

Reactions: Pearl

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahh, such usury! Making money off of another's misfortune. Buffalo Ny does the same thing and people go nuts! Store shelves get emptied quickly. I can live on very little food and get by fine but, all of the families who have MANY mouths to feed...that is not right. Thank God for food pantry's and soup kitchens! And, those who volunteer their time there are also blessed ♥

Grocery stores typically have 3 days of general stock of "fresh" food and "dairy".

I know the intent of food pantry's, soup kitchens, hand outs, etc... But also know there are many capable, and able bodied that are lined up for the taking, because they refuse to be accountable for themselves.

Just saying I have other methods I choose to give to those in need. ;)

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The stone I bought was meant for the hair (electric) clippers but, I seem to use it for other things as well and the scissors are the ones I use to trim around their faces. I do my own grooming between the professional groom about 3 times yearly. I can do it, but they don't look near as good as the shop does, lol....I just don't want them to get matted...and if I do not keep up with it, they WILL get matted fast!

Oh, ok, gotcha. Thanks.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We have food banks down in Brighton pearl, but what's a food pantry - how is it different !?
Rita
There was an item about it on Granada news one night. It seems there are areas that are called food deserts because they don't have affordable food shops just expensive local independents. But lot of the people there are on tight budgets and have to walk miles to get affordable food for their kids and the big supermarkets are so far away. So the idea of a food pantry is a bit like a foodbank but they pay a small fee for membership and can buy what they need nearer to home at prices they can afford. How has it come to this in our country in the 21st century? Unbelievable.

B

Butterfly

I guess the big supermarkets came in to fashion, which drove out all the family local shops, which the. became an opportunity for the same big supermarkets and others to come back locally but charge more because they could. I remember when. We have an Aldi a bus ride away, which is easier to some extent because the local store is down a big hill. I have to go online because I do not drive- so I spend more sometimes because I have to use the wrong shops because of my circumstances. Aldi isn't open on my way to work, so I go to the coop - but it's dearer.
What drives me nuts is the amount of good food the supermarkets chuck away - ' best before ' dates doesn't mean ' the food is off ' it just means it's not as fresh. How much could all that wasted food help those who are homeless and on really low income - it could be given away or really really reduced.
Years ago we use to have a converted bus come round the estate with veg, fruit, bread, ect, all a lot cheaper.
Rita

Reactions: Helen and Pearl

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was an item about it on Granada news one night. It seems there are areas that are called food deserts because they don't have affordable food shops just expensive local independents. But lot of the people there are on tight budgets and have to walk miles to get affordable food for their kids and the big supermarkets are so far away. So the idea of a food pantry is a bit like a foodbank but they pay a small fee for membership and can buy what they need nearer to home at prices they can afford. How has it come to this in our country in the 21st century? Unbelievable.

There is no fee whatsoever at our places. The one I belong to has two hot meals weekly. Food...ALL kinds, donated by grocery stores...and I am talking crazy expensive stuff! Also the local farmers, and one year we had so many fresh strawberries we put out front of the place so many flats at a time as, if you put it all out at once, some will take the whole thing, the poor are not immune to greed.
We have a child's cloths pantry, shoes, toys, etc. pantry. A, what we call a "chochity" table, lol and you can find some awesome stuff that some call "trash"...to those who take them, it's treasure (;
This is the one I belong to, it's called The Genesis Center and, that is me on the far right about 50 Lbs. ago!! :D
https://www.thegenesiscenter.us/
It is run by St.. Simon's Episcopal Church.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grocery stores typically have 3 days of general stock of "fresh" food and "dairy".

I know the intent of food pantry's, soup kitchens, hand outs, etc... But also know there are many capable, and able bodied that are lined up for the taking, because they refuse to be accountable for themselves.

Just saying I have other methods I choose to give to those in need. ;)

God Bless,
Taken

Oh I agree there are always those who have their hand out and might be able bodied...and some those who are able bodied, don't have the sense of a box of rocks! Or, they are addicts too.
Jesus said we would have the poor with us always. Who are we to say "who" is or is not in true need? Yes, where I go, we (the volunteers) pretty much know who can and cannot be trusted, and that goes for the other volunteers as well as the clients! Yeah, pretty sad eh? There are also cameras all over and Don-he's the husband of the direct manager and is a whiz with computer stuff and anything electric...he's also one of the funniest guys I have ever met, lol.- is in his office with the live feeds so, it's all good :)

B

Butterfly

There is no fee whatsoever at our places. The one I belong to has two hot meals weekly. Food...ALL kinds, donated by grocery stores...and I am talking crazy expensive stuff! Also the local farmers, and one year we had so many fresh strawberries we put out front of the place so many flats at a time as, if you put it all out at once, some will take the whole thing, the poor are not immune to greed.
We have a child's cloths pantry, shoes, toys, etc. pantry. A, what we call a "chochity" table, lol and you can find some awesome stuff that some call "trash"...to those who take them, it's treasure (;
This is the one I belong to, it's called The Genesis Center and, that is me on the far right about 50 Lbs. ago!! :D
Sounds great xx
The link doesn't open anything on my screen- it seems to load the page and then I just get a white screen - could be my iPad x

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Looks good Nancy.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen
B

Butterfly

It loaded on my phone , so it was my iPad x
Looks really good Nancy - I would love to gr8 involved with some thing like that - hope to when I eventually retire !!!!
Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Here in Bolton we have Urban Outreach who also operate Winter Watch during the cold months. They also started a food bank a few years ago. Urban Outreach Bolton