• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I assembled blessing bags they contained blankets, gloves, socks, reading material, bottled water, dried fruit and diverse snacks, a flashlight, tissues, toothbrush & paste and information for help centers.
I used to carry them in my car in case I ran across a street person, a stranded motorist or any I might see had a need for a little help.
Being a shut-in now and no longer driving, I'm finding myself useless for the KOG.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12 is a very good chapter on how to give in love, it finishes with " be not overcome of evil but overcome evil with good"

There are instructions within on the members of the body of Christ & the differing operations of ministry in the work of God by his Spirit through vessels of honour.

In here we find how to be not slothful in business, being honest, forthright and fair among mankind which shows the good character of believers & of God.

How we are to take care of those whom we owe our love such as in family, the brethren & other fellow mankind is also instructed.

The bottom line as a believer and follower of Christ is this,
Romans 13: 8. KJV
Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law of Christ.

"Be wise as serpents but harmless as dove," Jesus .

Reactions: Wynona and Debp

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Context is always important. Quoting a verse to encourage a particular oncome of benefit to oneself is being dishonest.

Here is the context of Proverbs 3:21-35: -

21 My son, do not lose sight of this:​
Preserve sound judgment and discernment.​
22 They will be life to your soul​
and adornment to your neck.​
23 Then you will go on your way in safety,​
and your foot will not stumble.​
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid;​
when you rest, your sleep will be sweet.​
25 Do not fear sudden danger​
or the ruin that overtakes the wicked,​
26 for the LORD will be your confidence​
and will keep your foot from the snare.​
27 Do not withhold good from the deserving​
when it is within your power to act.​
28 Do not tell your neighbor,​
“Come back tomorrow and I will provide”—​
when you already have the means.​
29 Do not devise evil against your neighbor,​
for he trustfully dwells beside you.​
30 Do not accuse a man without cause,​
when he has done you no harm.​
31 Do not envy a violent man​
or choose any of his ways;​
32 for the LORD detests the perverse,​
but He is a friend to the upright.​
33 The curse of the LORD is on the house of the wicked,​
but He blesses the home of the righteous.​
34 He mocks the mockers,​
but gives grace to the humble.​
35 The wise will inherit honor,​
but fools are held up to shame.​

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context is always important. Quoting a verse to encourage a particular oncome of benefit to oneself is being dishonest.

Here is the context of Proverbs 3:21-35: -

21 My son, do not lose sight of this:​
Preserve sound judgment and discernment.​
22 They will be life to your soul​
and adornment to your neck.​
23 Then you will go on your way in safety,​
and your foot will not stumble.​
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid;​
when you rest, your sleep will be sweet.​
25 Do not fear sudden danger​
or the ruin that overtakes the wicked,​
26 for the LORD will be your confidence​
and will keep your foot from the snare.​
27 Do not withhold good from the deserving​
when it is within your power to act.​
28 Do not tell your neighbor,​
“Come back tomorrow and I will provide”—​
when you already have the means.​
29 Do not devise evil against your neighbor,​
for he trustfully dwells beside you.​
30 Do not accuse a man without cause,​
when he has done you no harm.​
31 Do not envy a violent man​
or choose any of his ways;​
32 for the LORD detests the perverse,​
but He is a friend to the upright.​
33 The curse of the LORD is on the house of the wicked,​
but He blesses the home of the righteous.​
34 He mocks the mockers,​
but gives grace to the humble.​
35 The wise will inherit honor,​
but fools are held up to shame.​
I had started this same discourse but instead deleted it and just ignored this means of an out of context quote....... but thank you. My thoughts were to do the whole of Proverbs 3 !

Reactions: Debp

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is a blessing bag? Sounds like something I would like to put together, if that's what you do.
Its an idea I got from a website. You put things like socks, snacks, water bottles, bus passes, handwritten notes, etc.

You can keep them in your car in case you see a homeless person, give it to them, and talk to them.

I actually dont do this anymore but it wasnt a bad idea. Now I figure Ill just be ready to help people I come across with whatever I can do in the moment.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its an idea I got from a website. You put things like socks, snacks, water bottles, bus passes, handwritten notes, etc.

You can keep them in your car in case you see a homeless person, give it to them, and talk to them.

I actually dont do this anymore but it wasnt a bad idea. Now I figure Ill just be ready to help people I come across with whatever I can do in the moment.
Might be a fun activity for our Pathfinder group. Thanks!!!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About 4 months back, I was driving back from the grocery store when I saw a woman walking in 100+ degree temps carrying grocery bags. I turned around and offered her a ride. She did actually need the help. I found out that she has epilepsy and lost her ability to drive years ago. I asked her if she had someone to help her get places she needed to go, and she said sometimes a relative helped her, but not always. So I gave her my phone number in case she needed a ride to the store or whatever and no one else to take her.

Well, it wasn't 2 or 3 days when she called and asked if I could take her for a medical appointment. So I did. I also took a few of my groceries and gave them to her that day. She thanked me, and I drove her to the clinic, then back home. She asked, "How much do I owe you?" I told her she didn't owe me anything.

I picked her up once more for a ride to town. She began to go on about the groceries I gave her and how that she really liked them (keto pancake mixes) but a niece stole the rest of the groceries from her. Then she said she was about to have her electricity turned off if she didn't pay over $1,000 ....gave me a whole story about how someone "stole electricity" from her. I knew at that point she was lying and she saw me as someone with money and a kind heart. I did not offer money for her $1,000+ electric bill. I am not a wealthy person.

A few days later, she called for another ride, and I actually couldn't do it because I had a chiropractor appointment in another town. She never called me after that. I think she figured out I wasn't going to just hand money over to her without a thought. I don't mind helping people and I don't expect someone to pay me when they actually need the help. But I'm no sucker.

Last edited:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About 4 months back, I was driving back from the grocery store when I saw a woman walking in 100+ degree temps carrying grocery bags. I turned around and offered her a ride. She did actually need the help. I found out that she has epilepsy and lost her ability to drive years ago. I asked her if she had someone to help her get places she needed to go, and she said sometimes a relative helped her, but not always. So I gave her my phone number in case she needed a ride to the store or whatever and no one else to take her.

Well, it wasn't 2 or 3 days when she called and asked if I could take her for a medical appointment. So I did. I also took a few of my groceries and gave them to her that day. She thanked me, and I drove her to the clinic, then back home. She asked, "How much do I owe you?" I told her she didn't owe me anything.

I picked her up once more for a ride to town. She began to go on about the groceries I gave her and how that she really liked them (keto pancake mixes) but a niece stole the rest of the groceries from her. Then she said she was about to have her electricity turned off if she didn't pay over $1,000 ....gave me a whole story about how someone "stole electricity" from her. I knew at that point she was lying and she saw me as someone with money and a kind heart. I did not offer money for her $1,000+ electric bill. I am not a wealthy person.

A few days later, she called for another ride, and I actually couldn't do it because I had a chiropractor appointment in another town. She never called me after that. I think she figured out I wasn't going to just hand money over to her without a thought. I don't mind helping people and I don't expect someone to pay me when they actually need the help. But I'm no sucker.
Very good example of discernment and the fact ppl take kindness for being a funding machine.
Thank you.❤️

Reactions: Debp and TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good example of discernment and the fact ppl take kindness for being a funding machine.
Thank you.❤️
You're welcome.
The thing is, I would have been fine to still provide assistance, as long as I wasn't being taken advantage of. If she would have called or texted me for a ride to the grocery store on a weekly basis, what I would have done is give her a set day of the week that I would take her for groceries. She is on multiple assistance programs. But she wasn't interested in that sort of help. She thought I would buy her more groceries ....it would've amounted to footing the grocery bills of not only her, but her friends and her niece.

I am the type to see a need and just give where I can (bc God puts that in my heart). What turns me off is when I sense someone being dishonest and playing on my sympathies with exaggerated stories. Just tell me the truth ...... I don't appreciate deception. Know what I mean? I wanted to help this lady.

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Debp

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible says in Proverbs 3:27-28 American Standard Version (ASV), one can read other translation also, it helps in better understanding.
"Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, When it is in the power of thy hand to do it. Say"
Blessings My Dreams. I know of a man who came to a Christian board and his second post was,

" i am from India how can i raise $1300 in USA from india to study a course in YWAM "

Would you suppose this man is due? I believe the first response which was a little course was "get a job" and another was a warning about solicitation. " Just curious", how would you have answered or responded to this man My Dreams?

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are charitable organizations that do benefit people. Maybe donate to those? You will be indirectly giving aid to vulnerable people.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Being a shut-in now and no longer driving, I'm finding myself useless for the KOG.

L.A.M.B., no one who knows the truth about the Kingdom of God and what that entails in becoming a disciple of Christ, is ever useless. Your role now is to encourage others to be bold and to seek God's Face on how you can best pray for them so that they become bolder in their ministry of serving God. I have met many an old person who found fulfilment in this type of ministry.

Being wise in your approach to blessing others whether to encourage them or to admonish them as led by the Lord, your special Ministery in old age is never finished until you draw your last Breath.

Shalom

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are charitable organizations that do benefit people. Maybe donate to those? You will be indirectly giving aid to vulnerable people.

And the reputable charities do check out ministries or individuals before simply handing money over to them.

Christian Aid in Virginia helps poor indigenous missionaries and pastors but thoroughly checks each ministry out for sound doctrine and wise handling of finances.

L.A.M.B., no one who knows the truth about the Kingdom of God and what that entails in becoming a disciple of Christ, is ever useless. Your role now is to encourage others to be bold and to seek God's Face on how you can best pray for them so that they become bolder in their ministry of serving God. I have met many an old person who found fulfilment in this type of ministry.

Being wise in your approach to blessing others whether to encourage them or to admonish them as led by the Lord, your special Ministery in old age is never finished until you draw your last Breath.

Shalom

I remember the story of Amy Carmichael in India. She rescued girls (mainly from temple prostitution) and had an orphanage for them.

Amy Carmichael became an invalid in her later years. But she prayed from her bed as a ministry.

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B. and TLHKAJ

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're welcome.
The thing is, I would have been fine to still provide assistance, as long as I wasn't being taken advantage of. If she would have called or texted me for a ride to the grocery store on a weekly basis, what I would have done is give her a set day of the week that I would take her for groceries. She is on multiple assistance programs. But she wasn't interested in that sort of help. She thought I would buy her more groceries ....it would've amounted to footing the grocery bills of not only her, but her friends and her niece.

I am the type to see a need and just give where I can (bc God puts that in my heart). What turns me off is when I sense someone being dishonest and playing on my sympathies with exaggerated stories. Just tell me the truth ...... I don't appreciate deception. Know what I mean? I wanted to help this lady.
Hi TLHKAJ!

Having been a 'beggar' before, I can tell you that there are 3 kinds of beggars.: Those who are really in need...those who say they're in need...and those who aren't in need but will try to scam *you* to the hilt.

The ones who are really in need have a certain 'humility' about them. Avoiding eye contact with you...or looking at you like they're about to cry any moment. They're the ones who hold up a sign that says something like, "Anything helps"...and they TRULY mean it, even if you give them some change from getting your StarBucks morning coffee. They don't ask for any specific denomination, because they're really sincere...that any amount DOES help.

The second kind are a bit more aggressive. They'll look disheveled, and walk right up to you, asking for a specific amount. Having said that, you gotta pay attention to WHAT they need the money for. I mean, I once had a 'kid' ask me for two dollars so he could catch the bus to school. After I gave him the money, he bolted across the 6-lane highway toward a bus stop...and a bus was at the stop. And, there was another man in a wheelchair, one leg missing, who asked me for 5 dollars so he could get a pizza from 7-11. Then, asked me if I could give him SIX dollars, so he could get a fountain drink along with the pizza. I had no problem with that...especially since after I gave him the money, I saw him wheel his way to the 7-11 across the street.

Then, you have the scammers. Those are the ones who start out by asking you for a small denomination. They might even pay you back.

At first.

Then, the denominations they ask for get larger and larger...as what happened to you. And, there's usually some 'sob' story to go along with it. THOSE are the ones you want to stay away from.

Then again, you gotta look at this from the homeless/poverty-stricken person's point of view. There ARE some people who take advantage of the homeless. Seeing them as helpless. The guy who gives a homeless woman 10 bucks and asks, "Now what are going to do for ME...?" Or the guy who gives a homeless man a sandwich claiming it's peanut butter...

...that turns out to be human excrement... between two slices of bread...

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Might be a fun activity for our Pathfinder group. Thanks!!!
I used to belong to an Episcopal church in New York. We used to do something called a "Midnight Run" once a month.

A church member would use the 'poor' fund to buy bread, deli food, chips, fruit and assorted veggies. We would 'assemble' sandwiches and place them in a paper lunch bag in the basement of the church. Elected church members would then drive the 30 miles to NYC...and distribute them randomly to whoever they saw to be homeless.

Heard a few stories about some members who distributed the food, and how the recipient(s) was in tears for receiving the food...

Some hadn't eaten in 3 days...

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have zero trust in organizations. I will often purchase items (shirts, bracelets, etc) made and sold outside stores at tables, by Teen Challenge or similar ministries. It's usually the recipients of the ministry who are standing at the tables giving their testimonies. I like helping them. Other than that, I will let God lead who to help.

I've had some amazing ministry opportunities by stopping when I saw someone holding a sign. One, last year ....a woman was asking for help and her sign said she needed to go see her son in the hospital. I could see she was on verge of tears. I stopped. My mama's heart connected immediately, bc I know what it's like to be in that situation, a son who needs his mama and a mama who would give her life for her baby. I hugged her and said, "Tell me about your son." She cried and shared that he was in another state in an accident and she needed gas money to get to him. I didn't share about my own son, bc I knew the need in her heart was to share about how amazing her son was and how much she loved him. That's medicine to a hurting mom's heart.

Anyway, I was able to give her half the money she needed. I took her phone number in case I could help further. I went to a friend's house that evening and they wanted to give the rest .....so we got her to her baby and THAT was medicine to this mama's heart!!❤️❤️‍ We kept in touch for awhile. I still have her number, and she has sent photos of how her son is doing.❤️ That encounter was and is such a blessing to me. ❤️

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The guy who gives a homeless woman 10 bucks and asks, "Now what are going to do for ME...?" Or the guy who gives a homeless man a sandwich claiming it's peanut butter...

...that turns out to be human excrement
This is horrible, disgusting, how cold and evil people can be.
I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
would 'assemble' sandwiches and place them in a paper lunch bag in the basement of the church. Elected church members would then drive the 30 miles to NYC...and distribute them randomly to whoever they saw to be homeless.
I remember..a few people (from the church) assembling/packing several food items..
& serving the food at the rescue mission..
- many years ago.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess without overthinking it, Id say God calls us to help with what we can when we can. So each day, as we come across someone in need, we decide to help them accordingly.

1 John 3:17

King James Version

17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

So if you see someone in need, just help them. Buy a meal, give cash, keep bldssing bags handy. Whatever it takes. Mercy triumphs against judgement. We cant use the idea that they might mishandle the resources as an excuse not to help.

HoWever, if someone you know personally refuses to work as an able bodied person, thats when you should refuse to support them.

If someone takes advantage of you without you knowing it, thats their sin, not yours. But Peter writes, wouldnt you rather be wronged than to do wrong against others?

We do risk being taken advantage of in order to be charitable in the way God wants.

Jesus did say give to those who ask of you and to not lay up treasures on earth.

It is just as you have said, Sis, to my way of thinking. And there seems to be no shortage of scriptural evidence for it, as you have shown.

We have raised our children this way, and have suffered nothing evil that I can recall. My son is probably the most generous out of all of us—he practically views money as a necessary evil.

Stewardship, like so many other topics, is the source of much anxious thought for many folks, especially in the developed nations. A few months in a foreign mission field where depending on God is more critical than "living from paycheck to paycheck" would cure many of this (and other misunderstandings) very quickly.

I've always found it interesting the way God presents issues with such internal contrast. We are to give until it hurts. And yet, we are to see the connection between others and their assigned objects of stewardship as wholly sacred.

We find virtually nowhere in the Bible an example of someone being reproved for being too generous with their means but plenty of trouble about covetousness and stealing.

We are rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing in our own eyes but God sees us as poor, wretched, miserable, blind, and naked.

There have been times when my family have successfully convinced me to give that which I feared might possibly take from their own mouths and God has never been slow to make up the lack.

I was just this morning reading about how the hosts of Israel by faith passed through the Red Sea as though it were dry land (Hebrews 11:29). I try to keep illustrations such as this one in mind when I perceive God bidding me to go forward to please Him amidst circumstances that seem dubious.

I don't advocate facilitating any known abuse but speaking from my own experience in trusting God's promises, I have found it safer to deprive myself than to worry that I might be misappropriating God's goods or risking being cheated.

It is verily a law of faith that the more we trust God in Christ, the more His heart and hand is moved to work before us to His glory.

Mat 5:6
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

The rewards, even at the present time, for living as God prescribes with respect to finances are beyond accounting.

Outgiving God is impossible.

• Love
Reactions: Wynona

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yet even Jesus used a whip on the money changers making profit in his Father's house. And he did so in anger.

I agree we are to love others as ourselves or beyond but very few here on earth have the same level of love that " ......will lay down his life for a friend", as Jesus did for the whole world.

What should be and are, are wrapped into the flesh of sin. The spirit ( of man ) may always be willing but the flesh is weak !
Anger against injustice, criminalbehaviour etc is not wrong.

The love that enables a Christian to love the unloved is not man made but supernatural, it comes from God.

Status
Not open for further replies.