JUSTIFICATION: Catholic Vs. Protestant, Part #1

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Pet. 3:15
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.
Do you know what that means, to give a reason for the hope you have?

What would you say to me to show me that you do? Would you reword it in your own words to demonstrate this? Or would you denounce and name call and all that mind-rot, hoping to avoid the question?

To give a reason for the hope that you have = to show why you have the hope you have . . . to tell others why it is that you believe as you do, and specifically why you are expecting what you expect to come, that you are believing God for.

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Eternally Grateful

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is why we have lost our tolerance to listen to you.
No - I'd say you've lost your ability to listen.
You have to actually understand what you're listening TO in order to lose your tolerance for it . . .

Define faith?

Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word (scripture)

Our hope is eternal life. Which God, who can not lie, promised before time began.

and John said we can know we have it. And this knowledge is the hope that keeps us believing in christ.

faith is an assurance, as apposed to believe, which is just a mental agreement minus any thrust of confidence.

Paul said he is confident of one thing that He who began a good work WILL COMPLETE IT until the day of christ.

if you do not have this confidence, You have no hope. If you have no assurance, you have no faith.

I am sorry if this defenition is apposed to your religion. But it is biblical.
That's a Biblical description - NOT a definition.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what that means, to give a reason for the hope you have?

What would you say to me to show me that you do? Would you reword it in your own words to demonstrate this? Or would you denounce and name call and all that mind-rot, hoping to avoid the question?

To give a reason for the hope that you have = to show why you have the hope you have . . . to tell others why it is that you believe as you do, and specifically why you are expecting what you expect to come, that you are believing God for.

Much love!
As I have stated ad nauseam - the original question I asked was "Can you define faith?"
The fact that you guys are so terrified to attempt a definition speaks VOLUMES about the "hope" that lies within you . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I'm not convinced. It flows through most every post of yours that I read.

Much love!
It's not my job to convince you of anything.
I'm here to expose lies and the liars that tell them - not to force my beliefs on anyone.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not my job to convince you of anything.
I'm here to expose lies and the liars that tell them - not to force my beliefs on anyone.
No, it's not your job, just something you do. Personally I think mostly what you are exposing is yourself.

Much love!

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
fact that you guys are so terrified
You must be very filled with yourself . . .

I'm calling you on your stuff. I don't have issues defining faith, only at the moment you are using that for your diversion, and I prefer to not enable bad behavior.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I have stated ad nauseam - the original question I asked was "Can you define faith?"

I HAVE defined it on numerous occasions.
I’m asking YOU. The Bible commands you to give an explanation when asked (1 Pet. 3:15).

Ho do YOU define “faith” to someone who is asking you about Christ?
If you don’t know – just say so.
And you mis-used Scripture in making your demand, subverting the words of Peter which he wrote for one purpose, to use as a club against the one to whom you wrote.

The Bible commands giving a reason for your faith, not a definition of what faith is.

There's your "ad nauseum", going round and round on this until, you are hoping, we all forget what it's about.

Much love!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it's not your job, just something you do. Personally I think mostly what you are exposing is yourself.

Much love!
Yet, you can't point to a single thing I've said that s incorrect.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of James is more Jewish than it is Christian.
Interesting, isn't it? Considering:

James 1:1-2 KJV
1) James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
2) My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

It seems he addressed his letter to the Jews.

Much love!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must be very filled with yourself . . .

I'm calling you on your stuff. I don't have issues defining faith, only at the moment you are using that for your diversion, and I prefer to not enable bad behavior.

Much love!
"Diversion"??

I askjed that question about 20 posts ago.
YOU are the one who keeps brining it back up.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you mis-used Scripture in making your demand, subverting the words of Peter which he wrote for one purpose, to use as a club against the one to whom you wrote.

The Bible commands giving a reason for your faith, not a definition of what faith is.

There's your "ad nauseum", going round and round on this until, you are hoping, we all forget what it's about.

Much love!
And when someone who claims to be a Christian refuses to discuss matters of faith - 1 Pet. 3:15 couldn't be MORE appropriate.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - I'd say you've lost your ability to listen.
You have to actually understand what you're listening TO in order to lose your tolerance for it . . .
Oh I understand what you say and where it comes From
That's a Biblical description - NOT a definition.
lol it’s the biblical defenition. You just do not like it because it does not agree with your belief system. It destroys your belief system

My hope is in God and his promises

Your hope is in your church your history and your works.

Who has true assurance? Me placing hope in God or you placing your hope in men?

Last edited:
  • Love

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, isn't it? Considering:

James 1:1-2 KJV
1) James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
2) My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

It seems he addressed his letter to the Jews.

Much love!
James was a Judaizer. There were many Judaizers in the early church. A Judaizer is one that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law of Moses. I am sure that James and many other Judaizer came to believe the Gospel and justification by faith at a later date. I think that I was a Judaizer at one time in my early Christian life.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James was a Judaizer. There were many Judaizers in the early church. A Judaizer is one that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law of Moses. I am sure that James and many other Judaizer came to believe the Gospel and justification by faith at a later date. I think that I was a Judaizer at one time in my early Christian life.
I understand the connection you are making. I personally think the evidence for that is insufficient. James the Apostle did not conduct himself that way in the council in Jerusalem in Acts 15. The 4 laws he recommended binding to the people were because of their Jewish neighbors' sensitivity having been raised in the keeping of the Law.

You will recall that all the early Christians in Jerusalem were zealous to the keeping of the Law, which was exactly in accord with the New Covenant.

Much love!

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand the connection you are making. I personally think the evidence for that is insufficient. James the Apostle did not conduct himself that way in the council in Jerusalem in Acts 15. The 4 laws he recommended binding to the people were because of their Jewish neighbors' sensitivity having been raised in the keeping of the Law.

You will recall that all the early Christians in Jerusalem were zealous to the keeping of the Law, which was exactly in accord with the New Covenant.

Much love!
The Old Covenant of laws, rules and religion was abolished by the New Covenant, Ephesians 2:15, Jesus nailed the Old Covenant of law, rules and religion to his cross, Colossians 2:14. Under the New Covenant the Just shall live by faith, Romans 1:17. They live by faith in Christ and his Gospel.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Covenant of laws, rules and religion was abolished by the New Covenant, Ephesians 2:15, Jesus nailed the Old Covenant of law, rules and religion to his cross, Colossians 2:14. Under the New Covenant the Just shall live by faith, Romans 1:17. They live by faith in Christ and his Gospel.
Rather, our certificate of dept was blotted away, being nailed to the cross. That was how they used "cheirographon", handwriting, like in Philemon, "and if he owes you anything I'll repay, see, I've written this in my own hand". The papyrii in Oxyrhynchus showed that.

Much love!

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
There are no laws to keep under the New Covenant. Because "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4.

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and marks