- Knowing the Author –

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3Mquacky

Apr 21, 2011
Southwestern New York
2 Timothy 1:12, "I know whom I have believed"

The Apostle Paul in his letter to Timothy, didn’t say, "I know in whom I have believed," although this was also true. He didn't say, "I know what I have believed," although this also was true. Moreover, the Apostle Paul said, "I know whom I have believed" (2 Timothy 1:12). Not only did Paul know something about Jesus Christ, but he also knew Him personally. Salvation isn't merely a matter of knowing something but believing Someone. My friend, do you know Him? If so, do you enjoy reading what He says? If you know the author of the Book, you will love His Book. To illustrate my point, I read some time ago when a young woman laid aside a certain book she was reading because she thought it was rather boring. As time went on she became engaged to be married. One evening as they were sitting on the porch watching a beautiful sunset she said to her fiancé, "I have a book written by a man with the same name as yours. Isn't that a coincidence?" The man replied, "That's not a coincidence, you see I wrote the book that you have!" That very night she sat up until the wee hours of the morning reading the book she once found to be very dull. It was now the most exciting book she had ever read. You see she had fallen in love with the author.

Closing thoughts:

The apostle Paul reminded young Timothy of the importance of knowing God's Word (2 Timothy 3:14-17) and of carefully and diligently carrying out his ministry of teaching others (2 Timothy 2:15). The goal of such teaching is not just learning, but Christlike living. Paul wrote, "Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife" (vv. 22-23). Today, and every day, let's make time to study God's Word with diligence and purpose, because without the knowledge of God and His purposes revealed in Scripture and in His Son, Jesus Christ, we finite humans with our deceitfully wicked heart and sin-darkened minds have at best a blurred picture of the invisible and all powerful Creator. However, when we pick up the Bible and encounter a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, the Man who was God-in-the-flesh, the blurred picture fades away as we study and are obedient to His statutes and commandments. As the Savior Himself declared, "He who has seen Me has seen the Father" (John 14:9).

(1) So, "Is the Bible a boring book to you?"

(2) If it is, then you should meet the Author, because to know Jesus Christ, the Living Word, is to Love the Bible, the written Word.

Reactions: martinlawrencescott