Ladies, do you/did you have something like a hope chest or hope "thing"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was reading a story about a young woman. I think it was during the Victorian period. She was taking every scrap of fabric that she could get from her mother, laces and florals, and every pretty little thing she could get her hands on. Someone couldn't understand why she kept doing this, but as it turned out, she was getting married and it was part of her moving out and starting her life with her husband. So before she got married she made her quilt for her new home.

Another one, is when a girl turns about 16, she gets a hope chest for when she's on her own filled with the things that she hopes to have in her home.

Even if I'm a bit old and there's no sign of it in sight, one of the things I wanted to do was crochet a white or a beige vintage lace blanket. Of course, I can't, because I wouldn't have any place to put it but it's nice to think about and I'd like to have dreams again.

(I haven't been able to dream in years. I miss it.)

Reactions: amadeus

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have one but i dont know why. i thought it was intended for this use but eventually my future seemd to change like i could never get married or anything. i sstore stuff in it but it just seems like it swayed from my mother's original intent. i dont even know if she remembers it.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have one but i dont know why. i thought it was intended for this use but eventually my future seemd to change like i could never get married or anything. i sstore stuff in it but it just seems like it swayed from my mother's original intent. i dont even know if she remembers it.
aw. yes, it is supposed to be to store the things you gather for when you're married (or on your own) like dishes, tea towels, etc. I feel the same way and discouraged about it, but I also want to "dig my trenches" in good faith and hope for the future. The furthest I have gotten was turning a $3 bead box into a masala box. (i cook a lot of Indian food) whatever its something lol

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Over here they call it a 'bottom drawer' where a bride-to-be stores the things she makes or is given for her home. Back in 1960 the first thing I started to make was an Irish linen embroidered tablecloth. It took me years to complete it but it still comes out on special occasions.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Over here they call it a 'bottom drawer' where a bride-to-be stores the things she makes or is given for her home. Back in 1960 the first thing I started to make was an Irish linen embroidered tablecloth. It took me years to complete it but it still comes out on special occasions.
that sounds lovely, pearl! i bet it is beautiful, too!

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I had a ‘ bottom draw ‘ , can’t really remember what I had in it now. I have never been keen on quilting , but really wished I had kept items of clothing associated with my children, aunties, parents ect, and then got someone to make a quilt that I could have with me no matter where I end up. Working in a care home opens your eyes to the space you can be left with when your health declines, and I would want to have a connection to the people that have shared my life with. ........

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well. I have some keep sakes and some homey stuff.
But I have some things like that like a nice tea set and stuff.
This is a good topic cos I haven't thought of this in ....years

aw. yes, it is supposed to be to store the things you gather for when you're married (or on your own) like dishes, tea towels, etc. I feel the same way and discouraged about it, but I also want to "dig my trenches" in good faith and hope for the future. The furthest I have gotten was turning a $3 bead box into a masala box. (i cook a lot of Indian food) whatever its something lol

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish we still did these things! if I ever get in a position too, i am crocheting that bedspread, but something makes me think by the time I am able to I wont have time. otherwise if God leaves me waiting longer, maybe i will have time to make two. In my chest, loaned to me from other people, I had towels and dishes and things but had to pass it all along and leave with a backpack and still stuck with just a backpack. A backpack and a lyre. and six cats.

Reactions: lilygrace and Pearl

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
just makes you feel like there's the possibility of something to look forward to for some comfort, security, hope. its a nice thing.

Reactions: lilygrace

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Another one, is when a girl turns about 16, she gets a hope chest for when she's on her own filled with the things that she hopes to have in her home.
I suppose you could call her a late developer :) .....ooops, this thread was for the ladies; what am I doing here?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I had a ‘ bottom draw ‘ , can’t really remember what I had in it now. I have never been keen on quilting , but really wished I had kept items of clothing associated with my children, aunties, parents ect, and then got someone to make a quilt that I could have with me no matter where I end up. Working in a care home opens your eyes to the space you can be left with when your health declines, and I would want to have a connection to the people that have shared my life with. ........
I have a couple of patchwork throws that are made from old clothes, some I bought at jumble sales but also from my own and children's clothes. All hand sown. It took me years and one is still not finished. Also I have crochet throws made from oddments of wool from when I used knit.

upload_2021-3-13_10-33-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-13_10-33-14.png
    upload_2021-3-13_10-33-14.png
    110 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: lilygrace and Rita