Legal cannabis in Colorado and Washington state

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it sin to consume legal marijuana?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Powerful weakness

Nov 5, 2012
Colorado and Washington state have legalized recreational marijuana possession/consumption.

I say it is sin to break the law by consuming it (i.e. outside of those 2 states). But what now where it is legal?

___

I'm not sure how the bit about being against federal law fits in... The poll is supposed to be about the act itself being sinful, regardless of laws.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
It is still "breaking the law" in the other 48 states.

Editted the first post to clarify that.

If it is legal then they are not breaking the law.

Having said that...This issue is one of those sticky wickets. I know, or have known, several cancer patients that partake of the herb to relieve their pain and to increase their appetite so they do not suffer the extreme consequences of rapid weight loss. One of them had a very bad reaction to a couple of the pharmaceuticals that were prescribed for him. Actually caused him to be hospitalized for several weeks. Since beginning the herbal routine he has gained back some weight and had good success with pain management. Many of the so called "legal drugs" are much more harmful to the body.

Personally, I do not believe anything that can benefit a terminal patient should be held back. I've seen the effects of too much pain in many lives of loved ones and they should be able to get the relief they need.

As far as recreational...IMO...It should never have been classified as a schedule one drug to begin with and if it weren't for the billions of dollars behind the liquor companies it never would have. Again...IMO...It should be a controlled substance like alcohol but not illegal. Many politicians, doctors, law enforcement agencies and various health care workers/providers agree with that opinion as well.

Bottom line...this is one of those issues that is between a person and God.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Well spoken Gypsy
In all things we are not under the law of men, and neither is the perfect law of God accounted unto us the verdict of death.

Romans 10:4
Bottom line...this is one of those issues that is between a person and God.

But be not deceived and allow your freedom in Christ to lead astray once again.
Romans 12:2

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Colorado and Washington state have legalized recreational marijuana possession/consumption.

I say it is sin to break the law by consuming it (i.e. outside of those 2 states). But what now where it is legal?

___

I'm not sure how the bit about being against federal law fits in... The poll is supposed to be about the act itself being sinful, regardless of laws.

We are bound to a higher law. The law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus. So, the question is, "What is He telling you"?

This world will give you rights that Jesus Christ in His Word and by His Spirit does not give you.

We have the right in America to freedom of speech. We can call the President of the United States vulgar names and not be prosecuted. Does Jesus Christ give us that right?

Axehead

May 9, 2012
BTW...18 states have legalised medicinal cannabis.

The Bible says that, "Whatever is not of faith, is sin."
Rom_14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

God is the ultimate judge of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Marijuana is the very least of this country's troubles,it is in fact no trouble except for those seeking to control others.

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
I agree with Axhead and Strat, but cannabis is part of morals and morals should not be legislated for or against. Laudinum was an over the counter drug at the turn of the 20th century, yet there was no epidemic of its use. Why would a bunch of drunks in congress vote to ban liquor? Prohabition made more drunks and law breakers than before it was instituted. Cigarette companies were loosing money as older people were quitting, because of the antismoking adds of the 60's and younger people were not starting, until the cigarette companies pushed to make it illegal for children under the age of 18 to smoke. After the law went into effect many children who would have not started other wise, did because it made them feel grown up as only adults were allowed to smoke. The drug laws should all be abolished and all drugs need to be regulated and taxed and that would end the over use of drugs. By the way cancer is cureable with common baking soda, as no disease can survive in an alkaline system.

IAmAWitness

Nov 7, 2012
Yes and no. For recreaton, yes. For therapeutic effects, no. So I went with no because I felt the question to be asking more along the lines of is it ever right, not is it always right.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For recreational purposes, yes it is sin even if it's legal.

Eph 5:18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,

The whole point of this scripture is that we should get our fulfillment and the joy of a "drunk" or "high" feeling from the Holy Spirit, and not go to a different substance for the intimate feeling that God wants to give you through His Spirit. In some cultures, people do indeed drink wine for other reasons than to get drunk. I've never seen anyone smoke recreational marijuana for reasons other than to get high.

I don't condone Christians getting drunk, even though it's legal, so I'm sure not going to condone smoking marijuana if it becomes legal where I live.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
Anyone who has smoked marijuana before and is educated on it knows that it's safer and better for you then alcohol.
That's just the bottom line. Marijuana is demonized by ignorant people and that's why it became illegal in the first place.

The Bible does not say that consuming alcohol is a sin. Scripture gives fair warning of the consequences of alcohol, and calls alcoholics sinners. As far as consuming alcohol on occasion, no. It is not a sin. That to is a demonization by ignorance of overly zealous Christians, started by those such as Puritans- the name should be self-evident as to why they were so against it.