Limited Atonement VS Universal Atonement

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josiah

Jun 12, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus died for the sheep, and they don't believe because they are not the sheep, then how did he die for them?

DAVE...

You seem to be ASSUMING something the verse does not remotely say, that all those for whom Christ died are given faith. Not a single verse in the Bible that remotely supports your assumption.

They are His sheep because they have faith.... Now, before you get off on that illogical point, yes, the Bible says He died for His sheep (as He did) but does NOT say your dogma.... that He died ONLY, exclusively, solely, just for a limited few.... the entire dogma of the "L" is completely missing. As you are showing, Dave. You can't find any verse that says "only."

Yes, God gives FAITH to some and not all. But that's not the "L", the "L" is that Christ DIED for only few and not most folks. And hyper-Calvinists tend to so as you are doing, just eliminate the whole issue of faith as irrelevant. You ASSUME people aren't saved because Christ failed to die for them... entirely disregarding the issue of faith as if faith as nothing to do with anything.

And "L" not only is illogical and unbiblical but terrible. It means that NO ONE can even GUESS if they are saved or not. Sure, they may have faith in Christ as their Savior but odds are, Christ is not THEIR Savior - their whole faith is in a phantom, a ghost, a fraud. But that's just one horrible application of TULIP, I reject most of it because it's simply unbiblical.

And Dave, you indicated the Bible says that Jesus did not die for the Pharisees..... and then showed it says no such thing. Let's at least agree on that. I'm looking for something that says this dogma: That Jesus died ONLY, exclusively, solely, just for a limited few. Because I have a long list of verses that out-right, flat-out, verbatim state EXACTLY the opposite of that. And all Christianity (except for a tiny, tiny few hyper-Calvinists for the past 400 years) who embrace what those Scriptures teach, the opposite of this part of TULIP.

Let me return to an illustration: Someone gives you a Starbuck's Gift Card (paid for). You don't use it. Do you thus not benefit from it? Of course not. Is the only possibility for you not benefiting from it is because you had a fake card, a fraud, a card never paid for? Could it be you simply didn't use it? Faith is to embrace/apprehend/trust/rely upon something, in this case, His atoning work. Where there is no faith there is no apprehending of such, no application to the individual, no benefit. This is why there is the Call to Faith. This is why we celebrate the gift of Faith. This is why classic Christianity does not disregard faith as irrelevant and put everything on whether you were handed a real or fraudulent card (but can't know which you have until you are at those pearly gates).

In classic Christianity, the issue is whether one has faith in Christ as their Savior. If so, they are justified. But in hyper-Calvinism, the issue is whether Christ died for THEM, is THEIR Savior (and odds are, He's not) - something they cannot even guess about but will just find out when they reach those pearly gates. Scripture never calls on Jesus to die for more, it calls on people to believe. I believe that faith is a divine gift but it IS what makes justification mine. I don't have to wonder endlessly whether Christ died for me because the bible says, over and over again, that He died for all (so I'm included, lol). The issue then is not whether what Jesus has is REAL or a FRAUD, I just rejoice in my faith that has CHRIST as its object.

- Josiah

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But if Jesus did not die for the pharisees, he did not die for all.

AMEN Dave !! Amen!

...Thumb.gif

1 Cor 15-

22 "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming."

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

... except that Dave revealed he has nothing that indicates that Jesus didn't die for the Pharisees.

See post 841

How so? If Jesus said he gives his life for the sheep. And if he said the reason the Pharisees did not believe is because they are not his sheep. How did he die for them? They did not believe because they were not his sheep. = he because did not die for them.

“I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11)

“But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.” (John 10:26)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How so? If Jesus said he gives his life for the sheep. And if he said the reason the Pharisees did not believe is because they are not his sheep. How did he die for them? They did not believe because they were not his sheep. = he because did not die for them.

“I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11)

“But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.” (John 10:26)

I don't know Dave,
This "L" doctrine has tripped me up more times than I can count. It has brought me to fear each time because I could never rest in Jesus's salvation.
This is just one of many verses that bring me peace:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30

That forms a picture of Jesus reaching His hand down to pull me up to Him and brings me much comfort! How can one truly rest in Jesus if there is no assurance? Are we to be assured by our feelings? No, of course not but, by trusting in Christ our eternal security. There are so many verses that state plainly "...even those who believe on my name..." Whomsoever shall call upon my name..." "...believe and you shall be saved..."... If we have trusted in the person and work of Christ for personal salvation, security should be a fact. And, IMHO it shines through us into the world by our works, not of flesh as if we are seeking a crown so to speak but, through our hearts by the Holy Spirit willingly and cheerfully!
And this one is a biggie with me ♥

1 John3:14 "We know that we have passed out of death into life because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death."

Love you brother! ♥

Reactions: Josiah and Helen
D

Dave L

I don't know Dave,
This "L" doctrine has tripped me up more times than I can count. It has brought me to fear each time because I could never rest in Jesus's salvation.
This is just one of many verses that bring me peace:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30

That forms a picture of Jesus reaching His hand down to pull me up to Him and brings me much comfort! How can one truly rest in Jesus if there is no assurance? Are we to be assured by our feelings? No, of course not but, by trusting in Christ our eternal security. There are so many verses that state plainly "...even those who believe on my name..." Whomsoever shall call upon my name..." "...believe and you shall be saved..."... If we have trusted in the person and work of Christ for personal salvation, security should be a fact. And, IMHO it shines through us into the world by our works, not of flesh as if we are seeking a crown so to speak but, through our hearts by the Holy Spirit willingly and cheerfully!
And this one is a biggie with me ♥

1 John3:14 "We know that we have passed out of death into life because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death."

Love you brother! ♥
It works like this. You could not believe had Jesus not paid for your sins on the cross. Your faith and concern is proof he saved you. People have no assurance of salvation otherwise because they can trust only in themselves keeping up the works they think earn salvation. I was so relieved to find out that I believe because God saved me. And he doesn't save those who think they save themselves by works. They always trust in works and not God.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It works like this. You could not believe had Jesus not paid for your sins on the cross. Your faith and concern is proof he saved you. People have no assurance of salvation otherwise because they can trust only in themselves keeping up the works they think earn salvation. I was so relieved to find out that I believe because God saved me. And he doesn't save those who think they save themselves by works. They always trust in works and not God.

I will have to get back to this Dave...a little "to do" going on right now here...

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm sure that God knows that the human heart is fickle. What need would there be to, well, basically "force" one to believe on Him? How could God NOT want His creation to love Him from their own hearts, willingly? All one needs to do is to "seek Him diligently..." to find Him, to come to know His nature and characteristics. Has He not given each a measure of faith? And, doesn't faith come by "hearing the word"?

And no, of course, those who think they can save themselves through their works of the flesh are deluding themselves. Only Christ can save. I say it is the ultimate of important choices a human can decide. Either we believe on His name and be saved, or we will love the world (ourselves) more. Seek and ye SHALL find.

JM2C ♥

D

Dave L

I'm sure that God knows that the human heart is fickle. What need would there be to, well, basically "force" one to believe on Him? How could God NOT want His creation to love Him from their own hearts, willingly? All one needs to do is to "seek Him diligently..." to find Him, to come to know His nature and characteristics. Has He not given each a measure of faith? And, doesn't faith come by "hearing the word"?

And no, of course, those who think they can save themselves through their works of the flesh are deluding themselves. Only Christ can save. I say it is the ultimate of important choices a human can decide. Either we believe on His name and be saved, or we will love the world (ourselves) more. Seek and ye SHALL find.

JM2C ♥
If you study sin, people are so sinful they hate God when someone presents him to them. Jesus stood in front of the Pharisees but he did not match the profile of their idol. So they killed him. Today, people likewise construct similar idols bearing Jesus' name. But hate the true Christ when confronted by him. Peter, on the other hand when asked by Jesus who he thought Jesus was, replied "the Messiah". And Jesus assured him flesh and blood had not revealed it to him, but the Father in heaven. So, before we can discern God in truth, he must give us a new heart. This he does in the new birth. Only then will we perceive Christ in truth and want him. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit which all true believers have.

“When the Gentiles heard this, they rejoiced and glorified the message of the Lord, and all who had been appointed to eternal life believed.” (Acts 13:48) (HCSB)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you study sin, people are so sinful they hate God when someone presents him to them. Jesus stood in front of the Pharisees but he did not match the profile of their idol. So they killed him. Today, people likewise construct similar idols bearing Jesus' name. But hate the true Christ when confronted by him. Peter, on the other hand when asked by Jesus who he thought Jesus was, replied "the Messiah". And Jesus assured him flesh and blood had not revealed it to him, but the Father in heaven. So, before we can discern God in truth, he must give us a new heart. This he does in the new birth. Only then will we perceive Christ in truth and want him. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit which all true believers have.

“When the Gentiles heard this, they rejoiced and glorified the message of the Lord, and all who had been appointed to eternal life believed.” (Acts 13:48) (HCSB)

If you study sin, people are so sinful they hate God when someone presents him to them. Jesus stood in front of the Pharisees but he did not match the profile they had assigned to their idol. So they killed him. Today, people likewise construct similar idols bearing his name. Peter, on the other hand when asked by Jesus who he thought Jesus was, replied "the Messiah". Ans Jesus assured him flesh and blood had not revealed it to him, but the Father in heaven. So, before we can discern God in truth, he must give us a new heart. This he does in the new birth. Only then will we perceive Christ in truth and want him. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit which all true believers have.

"If you study sin, people are so sinful they hate God when someone presents him to them."
Well, I see this as Satan blinding the minds of the unbelievers...I once was blind ;)
I could not even pray for God to remove the blinders, soften the hearts and prepare my friends and loved ones to receive His Truth, to appeal to them personally and then believe that He will indeed do these things because "it is NOT His will that ANY should perish..." The whole idea of L.A. to me just saps the joy of ever seeing my loved ones saved. Why pray for them? Why evangelize??
And of course The Father in Heaven revealed The Christ in Jesus to Peter, Peter was humble enough, came as a child...he was able to see clearly as God led him. Others might have a harder struggle as they might have a pride or stubbornness problem within themselves...they can still seek Him regardless. I do believe there will only be a fraction of the world, from the beginning, who will decide to take the narrow road...I cannot ever believe He gave us NO choice in accepting His Gift. His Sovereighnity still stands as ever, and I believe it IS His sovereign will for all to come to Him...even He knows that many, many will not-having their consciences seared with repeated rejection to His call...rendering them not just blind but, deaf.

“When the Gentiles heard this, they rejoiced and glorified the message of the Lord, and all who had been appointed to eternal life believed.” (Acts 13:48) (HCSB)"

All I take from this, as far as our discussion is that the "all who had been appointed" were only the ones who had the humility enough and that childlike faith enough to receive His message. The others were stiffnecked...not yet lost as they were still drawing breath and could come to repentance at another time. Does not mean that the rest of the people would never have another chance to receive the truth.

Again, JMHO
♥ nancy

D

Dave L

If you study sin, people are so sinful they hate God when someone presents him to them. Jesus stood in front of the Pharisees but he did not match the profile they had assigned to their idol. So they killed him. Today, people likewise construct similar idols bearing his name. Peter, on the other hand when asked by Jesus who he thought Jesus was, replied "the Messiah". Ans Jesus assured him flesh and blood had not revealed it to him, but the Father in heaven. So, before we can discern God in truth, he must give us a new heart. This he does in the new birth. Only then will we perceive Christ in truth and want him. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit which all true believers have.

"If you study sin, people are so sinful they hate God when someone presents him to them."
Well, I see this as Satan blinding the minds of the unbelievers...I once was blind ;)
I could not even pray for God to remove the blinders, soften the hearts and prepare my friends and loved ones to receive His Truth, to appeal to them personally and then believe that He will indeed do these things because "it is NOT His will that ANY should perish..." The whole idea of L.A. to me just saps the joy of ever seeing my loved ones saved. Why pray for them? Why evangelize??
And of course The Father in Heaven revealed The Christ in Jesus to Peter, Peter was humble enough, came as a child...he was able to see clearly as God led him. Others might have a harder struggle as they might have a pride or stubbornness problem within themselves...they can still seek Him regardless. I do believe there will only be a fraction of the world, from the beginning, who will decide to take the narrow road...I cannot ever believe He gave us NO choice in accepting His Gift. His Sovereighnity still stands as ever, and I believe it IS His sovereign will for all to come to Him...even He knows that many, many will not-having their consciences seared with repeated rejection to His call...rendering them not just blind but, deaf.

“When the Gentiles heard this, they rejoiced and glorified the message of the Lord, and all who had been appointed to eternal life believed.” (Acts 13:48) (HCSB)"

All I take from this, as far as our discussion is that the "all who had been appointed" were only the ones who had the humility enough and that childlike faith enough to receive His message. The others were stiffnecked...not yet lost as they were still drawing breath and could come to repentance at another time. Does not mean that the rest of the people would never have another chance to receive the truth.

Again, JMHO
♥ nancy
Jesus said: “If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26) (KJV 1900)

Why would you hate the ones you are supposed to love most? Because they are enemies of God. Who if they are religious, they hate the true Christ and worship idols. Limited atonement actually saves many of these. Universal atonement renders their salvation impossible because it saves no one. It only makes it possible for people to think they can save themselves by their own self-righteous works.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said: “If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26) (KJV 1900)

Why would you hate the ones you are supposed to love most? Because they are enemies of God. Who if they are religious, they hate the true Christ and worship idols. Limited atonement actually saves many of these. Universal atonement renders their salvation impossible because it saves no one. It only makes it possible for people to think they can save themselves by their own self-righteous works.

"Limited atonement actually saves many of these."
I am going to wholeheartedly disagree here Dave, L.A. saves no one. And neither does Universal Atonement. There is only one Way one Truth and One Life...

"Why would you hate the ones you are supposed to love most? Because they are enemies of God."
I think Luke 14:26 is a loyalty thing, meaning our highest loyalty should always be to Him alone. He must be first in all things, large and small.

How can we reconcile these (para) versus to L.A: Love your enemies (not HATE here) and pray for them. Who is our neighbor?? When Jesus shows God’s undiscriminating love to all people by saying it rains on the just and the unjust as the sun rises also? There are more but, have had kind of a mind-numbing day. lol...don't ask! Ha!

D

Dave L

"Limited atonement actually saves many of these."
I am going to wholeheartedly disagree here Dave, L.A. saves no one. And neither does Universal Atonement. There is only one Way one Truth and One Life...

"Why would you hate the ones you are supposed to love most? Because they are enemies of God."
I think Luke 14:26 is a loyalty thing, meaning our highest loyalty should always be to Him alone. He must be first in all things, large and small.

How can we reconcile these (para) versus to L.A: Love your enemies (not HATE here) and pray for them. Who is our neighbor?? When Jesus shows God’s undiscriminating love to all people by saying it rains on the just and the unjust as the sun rises also? There are more but, have had kind of a mind-numbing day. lol...don't ask! Ha!
Universal atonement does not save. If it did, all would be saved.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Universal atonement does not save. If it did, all would be saved.
This is one of THE BIGGEST FALLACIES on earth.

1. The atoning work of Christ makes it possible for sinners to be saved. No one is automatically saved.

2. The preaching of the Gospel is meant to proclaim to sinners that Christ died for their sins (the sins of the whole world) according to the Scriptures, and rose again for their justification according to the Scripture.

3. All who hear the Gospel are commanded by God to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. If all would obey the Gospel, all would be saved. That is because Christ tasted death for every man.

So, Dave, you either (a) have a very poor understanding of the Gospel or (b) you have chosen to vigorously promote the false doctrine of Limited Atonement, and every false Gospel is under a curse.

D

Dave L

This is one of THE BIGGEST FALLACIES on earth.

1. The atoning work of Christ makes it possible for sinners to be saved. No one is automatically saved.

2. The preaching of the Gospel is meant to proclaim to sinners that Christ died for their sins (the sins of the whole world) according to the Scriptures, and rose again for their justification according to the Scripture.

3. All who hear the Gospel are commanded by God to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. If all would obey the Gospel, all would be saved. That is because Christ tasted death for every man.

So, Dave, you either (a) have a very poor understanding of the Gospel or (b) you have chosen to vigorously promote the false doctrine of Limited Atonement, and every false Gospel is under a curse.
If the atonement only makes salvation available to the self righteous, it doesn't save anyone. They only think they save themselves through works.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the atonement only makes salvation available to the self righteous, it doesn't save anyone. They only think they save themselves through works.

Couldn't we say that the self-righteous simply rejected His Atoning sacrifice for the sins of the world? His blood covered every sin that was, is, and ever will be committed...those who think they can save themselves are obviously not true followers of Christ.

John 3:18-19 "Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19And this is the verdict: The Light has come into the world, but men loved the darkness rather than the Light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the Light and does not come into the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

We have been either saved or condemned from the foundation of the world...our Creator already sees the beginning to the end of "time"...I see God's view like a huge canvass where everything already happened...in eternity.

The bolded "rather" implies to me that the person had a ...choice. God knew most would reject His Truth.

D

Dave L

Couldn't we say that the self-righteous simply rejected His Atoning sacrifice for the sins of the world? His blood covered every sin that was, is, and ever will be committed...those who think they can save themselves are obviously not true followers of Christ.

John 3:18-19 "Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19And this is the verdict: The Light has come into the world, but men loved the darkness rather than the Light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the Light and does not come into the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

We have been either saved or condemned from the foundation of the world...our Creator already sees the beginning to the end of "time"...I see God's view like a huge canvass where everything already happened...in eternity.

The bolded "rather" implies to me that the person had a ...choice. God knew most would reject His Truth.
The way I understand it is we are so sinful we hate God when exposed to him unless he first prepares our hearts. This is abundantly clear throughout the OT. But God cannot remain good and righteous, and forgive sin unless atoned for. So in his mercy he took on human nature in Christ and fully paid for the sins of certain people whom he arbitrarily chose to save from out of the mass of fallen humanity. If you believe in Christ, you are one of them. Had he not paid for your sins you could not discern the true Christ, much less want anything to do with him.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How did you come up with *self righteous*? Sinners responding to the Gospel and obeying the Gospel are the opposite of self righteous. Through the preaching of the Gospel they have been brought to the end of themselves.

Please note: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?...
Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
(Acts 2:37; 16:29,30)

It is very clear from your posts that you really don't understand the Gospel and how sinners are brought to Christ and His salvation. Then we have people coming along and saying that those who obey the Gospel are not justified at that very moment, and do not receive the imputed righteousness of Christ by God's grace thorough faith.

Once again, the atoning work of Christ was FOR THE SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD. Anyone denying this is preaching another Gospel -- an accursed Gospel.

D

Dave L

How did you come up with *self righteous*? Sinners responding to the Gospel and obeying the Gospel are the opposite of self righteous. Through the preaching of the Gospel they have been brought to the end of themselves.

Please note: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?...
Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
(Acts 2:37; 16:29,30)

It is very clear from your posts that you really don't understand the Gospel and how sinners are brought to Christ and His salvation. Then we have people coming along and saying that those who obey the Gospel are not justified at that very moment, and do not receive the imputed righteousness of Christ by God's grace thorough faith.

Once again, the atoning work of Christ was FOR THE SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD. Anyone denying this is preaching another Gospel -- an accursed Gospel.
If you think you choose to save yourself through obedience, it is in legalistic self righteousness. Grace on the other hand saves those who cannot choose to save themselves.

Josiah

Jun 12, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way I understand it is we are so sinful we hate God when exposed to him unless he first prepares our hearts. This is abundantly clear throughout the OT. But God cannot remain good and righteous, and forgive sin unless atoned for. So in his mercy he took on human nature in Christ and fully paid for the sins of certain people whom he arbitrarily chose to save from out of the mass of fallen humanity. If you believe in Christ, you are one of them. Had he not paid for your sins you could not discern the true Christ, much less want anything to do with him.

MUCH of this seems to be pure speculation.... that runs head on with Scripture, contradicting it.

Yes, I agree: No one "chooses" God and no one gives faith to self. THAT much is Scriptural and true.

But there is nothing in Scripture that says Jesus only died for a limited few or only atoned for the sins of a minority (Scripture flat out, verbatim, says the exact opposite)... and nothing that says God desires most to fry in hell and that He causes such.

I think what is biblical (and the view of all but a tiny, tiny number of extreme Calvinists for the past 400 or so years) is that God loves all... Christ died for all atoning for the sins of all.... and those with faith apprehend/embrace/trust/rely on such and thus benefit from it.

Reactions: Enoch111 and Nancy