Many people don't want to carry their cross. Why ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 14:27. And who so ever does not bear his cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciples. Luke 9:62. And Jesus said unto him, No man having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for kingdom of God. Analyze it. Jesus is the school master. What are the qualifications. What are the sacrifices. How many people are willing to carry their own cross, even if death is neccessary?. In our nation its persecution. Other nations, like iran, a Christian can face death. In America, if Christian decides to carry their own cross, they're circle of friends and family will gradually erode. Its conflict of values and beliefs. Some people won't like true Christian speaking against their traditions. A commitment to God has consequences. The world isn't going to like you. A new convert applys to acts 3:19. Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out. Some churches hinder spirtual growth and forgiveness of sins to God. Priests cannot forgive sins, only Jesus can. Traditions of men will bind people into bondage. James chapter 1, God gives wisdom and knowledge to those who ask. Will a commitment to God cost you. Persecution at job. Or alienated by family or friends. Will you be welcome to churches that teach tradition of men, false doctrine?. Matthew 7:14. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads to unto life. and few there that find it. Are many people sincere and diligent. How many more people will make a commitment, sacrifice, to carry their cross daily and follow Jesus.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dying to the self, and living for God and Christ, can be a difficult decision for us all.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
because I choose not to, or I choose to do so.

My flesh still very much caging my soul with-in. It still sins.

Dying to it with cross by the power of the holy spirt of God and the spirit of Christ, is available; the temptations you may face may escalate or you may find an escape those things because of God, a person can be skillful in constant relationship to God and asking him to help you by the spirit in Jesus name.

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or they don't think they can, so they don't try.

Much love!
If you think YOU are too weak to try, God can!! In his STRENGTH he will carry you the steps you aren't able.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a time to pick up your cross and die with Jesus. That time literally was back when Jesus lived and martyrs were made by man when they condemned Jesus and his followers. There are still countries that do that. So perhaps there will be those that carry their cross.

We as Christians don't need to pretend that we are called to carry our cross to our deaths. That would be disrespectful to those that have died for proclaiming Jesus is the Son of God.

Reactions: Jim B

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Or they don't think they can, so they don't try.

Much love!
You're right. That's precisely why I haven't tackled it yet as failing now could be potentially irreversible. Hence, I believe it's wiser to be late than remorseful.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
We as Christians don't need to pretend that we are called to carry our cross to our deaths.
To me, the statement appears quite literal - isn't carrying the cross daily intended to imply obedience to Christ and God's commands; although it is a burden, Christ himself claimed that his burden is light. And pretending to carry the cross is a no-go for a Christian because God can see it. You may deceive your fellow Christians, but you cannot deceive God.

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me, the statement appears quite literal - isn't carrying the cross daily intended to imply obedience to Christ and God's commands; although it is a burden, Christ himself claimed that his burden is light. And pretending to carry the cross is a no-go for a Christian because God can see it. You may deceive your fellow Christians, but you cannot deceive God.
The Israelites of biblical times were burdened down with the law which was of works, plus laws what the Pharisees added. Jesus takes our sin on himself thus fulfilling the law. We will still face trials but he's right there with us shouldering the yoke making it light. We have his peace during all these trials.

Last edited:

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What if you don't carry your cross, your whole life and then you do at the end?

Almost anyone would say "that was a waste", right?

Learn from that Wisdom, and you will save yourself a lot of heartache!

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a time to pick up your cross and die with Jesus. That time literally was back when Jesus lived and martyrs were made by man when they condemned Jesus and his followers. There are still countries that do that. So perhaps there will be those that carry their cross.

We as Christians don't need to pretend that we are called to carry our cross to our deaths. That would be disrespectful to those that have died for proclaiming Jesus is the Son of God.
Carrying your cross means denying oneself and following Jesus's teachings and commandments. Putting him first, others second and yourself last. Ppl everyday lose family, friends, country even their lives because of their Faith in Christ.

Reactions: 07-07-07

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if you don't carry your cross, your whole life and then you do at the end?

Almost anyone would say "that was a waste", right?

Learn from that Wisdom, and you will save yourself a lot of heartache!
This life on earth is such a short time. Why not make it mean something? Denying your cross is living for self and denying Christ. So many followed Christ to see the miracles and get free food, very few stayed with Christ because they believed in him.

• Wow
Reactions: Gottservant

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Carrying your cross means denying oneself and following Jesus's teachings and commandments. Putting him first, others second and yourself last. Ppl everyday lose family, friends, country even their lives because of their Faith in Christ.
I don't think carrying your cross means to deny ones self. But I will say this, you can certainly carry a sort of cross because of defiance of Satan and his attempt to rule down here. Perhaps in that way some people today in Christian nations carry their cross.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't think carrying your cross means to deny ones self. But I will say this, you can certainly carry a sort of cross because of defiance of Satan and his attempt to rule down here. Perhaps in that way some people today in Christian nations carry their cross.
I think carrying your cross means saying "This thing that was going to kill me, I now commit to God to resurrect"

It's better if you make a line in the sand and never cross it again, but God understands it might take a while, before you are where you needed to be.

I have been struggling for almost two decades with where my cross, should start - its a very, very difficult thing.

Reactions: dev553344

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
carrying your cross is denying self. It is serving others.

It is the law of Love.

Thats what Jesus did up to and including his greatest act of love, which is the cross.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right. That's precisely why I haven't tackled it yet as failing now could be potentially irreversible. Hence, I believe it's wiser to be late than remorseful.
Being late can give you a greater remorse than you'd expect. After you realize what could have been, when it's too late . . .

Much love!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Luke 14:27. And who so ever does not bear his cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciples.

Here is something to know about the NT.

Jesus came to the Jews.....To the House of Israel.
So, in Luke 14, Jesus was talking about becoming a "disciple"......and you are to DO certain things, to be qualified.

Now, 9 Chapters later, in Luke 23-24 Jesus is Crucified, and based on this Cross and Resurrection, you are allowed through the Blood Atonement, to become a "Son-Daughter" of God, as this is offered by God doing something for you.
See that?
That is so much more than just being a "disciple", and in fact, is completely different, as the disciples in Luke 14 were not born Again Christians, as there was no Cross as of yet.