• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lots of content… 1 hour long, use of Old Testament also do a search in a tool for the New Testament and search up - the day. A generation is considered 30-33 years to 40.

“For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭8:38‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
Mark 8:38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.” | New King James Version (NKJV) | Download The Bible App Now

I could be wrong, it’s up to you what you will decide and believe.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lots of content… 1 hour long, use of Old Testament also do a search in a tool for the New Testament and search up - the day. A generation is considered 30-33 years to 40.

“For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭8:38‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
Mark 8:38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.” | New King James Version (NKJV) | Download The Bible App Now

I could be wrong, it’s up to you what you will decide and believe.

Genesis 6:3 refers to God limiting man's generation to 120 years.

One must be careful when reading the word 'generation' in The Bible, because sometimes it simply means a certain bloodline people, and other times it can mean a time or era, like the 120 years of Genesis 6:3 which God made for the limit of a generation in years for man after the flood.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Davy,

Thank you for your insights on that, however from my understanding that is the typical lifespan a person can live up to.

God bless,
Matthew G.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Davy,

Thank you for your insights on that, however from my understanding that is the typical lifespan a person can live up to.

God bless,
Matthew G.

That's right, as there still are people living today that are over 100 years old. The average lifespan is what you're talking about, which in the U.S. is said to be 77 for men, and 81 for women.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir, that was what I believe was the set age limit which God imposed only 120 years for man to live. The generation however is between 30-40 years in my understanding. I could be wrong but that is what I believe.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes sir, that was what I believe was the set age limit which God imposed only 120 years for man to live. The generation however is between 30-40 years in my understanding. I could be wrong but that is what I believe.

Well, I agree with you, your understanding of the time period of a "generation" is wrong within the context of the scriptures. A generation is the length of an age and is of the order of 1,000 years just like a day of the Lord is also of the order of 1,000 years.

God understood that man did not have the ability to comprehend time spans that exceeded the length of a man's life. That is why people still have a problem with the word "generation" in the scriptures. In Genesis 6:3, God decreed that the maximum length of days for a man's life would be 120 years, which is very different to God's understanding for a "generation" as found in the Bible. The Hebrew Root for a "generation/age" is H:1755, and because of man's inability to comprehend that the time span for Hebrew words with the embedded Hebrew Root H:1755 was of the order of 1,000 years, they wrongly concluded that a "Generation" has the meaning of the typical descendant generational time period as you have expressed.

In Mark 8:28 the time period of the generation/age that Jesus was referencing in this verse is of the order of up to a further three generations/ages of the order of 3,000 years. During this time period, people will be adulterous and sinful.

It is a small point that I am highlighting to you. If however, we limit Jesus' statement to each and every individual, then the reference is applicable to the length of a person's life. However, Jesus was speaking of all of mankind in that anyone who is ashamed of Christ, He will be ashamed of Him.

The context of what Christ was referencing in this verse is important for us to know, as it gives a warning of how we should lead our respective lives.

Shalom

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for pointing out some of your own understandings @Jayross. If you believe a generation would be a 1,000 years that is cool. Though we see differently it is okay. However when you mention that Jesus was speaking to all mankind, in the context of that specific instance of Jesus being with his disciples and a crowd of people from Czar Phillippi it would have to considered that generation would be them then. However though again we see differently, thank you for taking time to share.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jay Ross would like to share with you from the Easton dictionary

Generation
Gen_2:4, “These are the generations,” means the “history.” Gen_5:1, “The book of the generations,” means a family register, or history of Adam. Gen_37:2, “The generations of Jacob” = the history of Jacob and his descendants. Gen_7:1, “In this generation” = in this age. Psa_49:19, “The generation of his fathers” = the dwelling of his fathers, i.e., the grave. Psa_73:15, “The generation of thy children” = the contemporary race. Isa_53:8, “Who shall declare his generation?” = His manner of life who shall declare? or rather = His race, posterity, shall be so numerous that no one shall be able to declare it.
In Mat_1:17, the word means a succession or series of persons from the same stock. Mat_3:7, “Generation of vipers” = brood of vipers. Mat_24:34, “This generation” = the persons then living contemporary with Christ. 1Pe_2:9, “A chosen generation” = a chosen people.
The Hebrews seem to have reckoned time by the generation. In the time of Abraham a generation was an hundred years, thus: Gen_15:16, “In the fourth generation” = in four hundred years (compare Gen_15:13 and Exo_12:40). In Deu_1:35 and Deu_2:14 a generation is a period of thirty-eight years.

It is understood that many people will have different ideas, check this one out from the Smith Dic.

Generation
Generation. In the long-lived patriarchal age, a generation seems to have been computed at 100 years, Gen_15:16, compare Gen_15:13 and Ecc_12:40, but subsequently, the reckoning was the same which has been adopted by modern civilized nations, namely, From thirty to forty years Job_42:16.
(Generation is also used to signify the men of an age or time, as contemporaries, Gen_6:9; Isa_53:8, posterity, especially in legal formulae, Lev_3:17, etc.; fathers, or ancestors. Psa_49:19.

Another from hastings

Generation
GENERATION.—‘Generation’ is used in AV to tr. 1. Heb. dôr, which is used (a) generally for a period, especially in the phrases dôr wâdhôr, etc., of limitless duration; past, Isa_51:8; future, Psa_10:6; past and future, Psa_102:24; (b) of all men living at any given time (Gen_6:9); (c) of a class of men with some special characteristic, Pro_30:11-14 of four generations of bad men; (d) in Isa_38:12 and Psa_49:19 dôr is sometimes taken as ‘dwelling-place.’ 2. Heb. tôlĕdhôth (from yâladh, ‘beget’ or ‘bear children’), which is used in the sense of (a) genealogies Gen_5:1, figuratively of the account of creation, Gen_2:4; also (b) divisions of a tribe, as based on genealogy; tôlĕdhôth occurs only in the Priestly Code, in Rth_4:18, and in 1Ch_3:1-24. Gr. genea in same sense as 1 (a), Col_1:26; as 1 (b), Mat_24:34. 4. =Gen_2:1-25 (a), Mat_1:1, an imitation of LXX use of genesis for tôlĕdhôth. 5. Gennçma, ‘offspring’ = 1 (c): so Mat_3:7|| (‘generation, i.e. offspring, of vipers’). 6. genos, ‘race’ = 1 (c): so 1Pe_2:9 (AV ‘chosen generation,’ RV ‘elect race’).

One more from Cyclopedia
Generation
(תּוֹלְדֶה, γένεσις, the act; γέννημα, the result: דּוֹר, γενεα, a period). Considerable obscurity attends the use of this word in the English version, which arises from the translators having merged the various meanings of the same original word, and even of several different words, in one common term, "generation." The remark, too, is just, that in the literal translations of the Scriptures, the word "generation" generally occurs wherever the Latin has generatio, and the Greek γενεά or γένεσις (Rees’s Encyclopedia, article Generation). The following instances seem to require the original words to be understood in some one of their derivative senses: Gen_2:4," These are the generations" (תּוֹלְדוֹת; Sept. ἡ βίβλος γενέσεως; Vulg: generationes), rather "origin," "history," etc. The same Greek words, Mat_1:1, are rendered "a genealogy," etc., by recent translators: Campbell has "lineage." Gen_5:1, "The book of the generations" (סֵפֶר תּוֹלְדרֹ; Sept. as before; Vulg. liber generationis) is properly a family register, a history of Adam. The same words, Gen_37:2, mean a history of Jacob and his descendants; so also Gen_6:9; Gen_10:1, and elsewhere. Gen_7:1, "In this generation" (בִּרּור הַזֶּה; Sept. ἐν τῇ γενεᾶ’/ τάυτῃ, Vulg. in generatione hac) is evidently "in this age." Gen_15:6, "In the fourth generation" (רּוֹר; Sept. γενεά, Vulg. generatio) is an instance of the word in the sense of a certain assigned period. Psa_49:19, "The generation of his fathers" (עִראּרּוֹר אֲבוֹתָיו, Sept. γενιᾶς πατέρων αύτοῦ) Gesenius renders "the dwelling of his fathers," i.e. the grave, and adduces Isa_38:12.: Psa_73:15, "The generation of thy children" (רּוֹר בָּנֶיךָ, Sept. γενεὰ τῶν υἱῶν σοῦ) is "class," "order," "description;" as in Pro_30:11-14. Isa_53:8, "Who shall declare his generation?" (רּוֹרוֹ; Sept. τὴν γενεὰν αὐτοῦ τίς διηγήσεται, Vulug. generatio)
Lowth renders "manner of life," in translation and note, but adduces no precedent. Some consider it equivalent to זֶרִע, Isa_53:10 : γενεά (Sept.) answers to זֶרִע, Est_9:28. Josephus uses πολλήν γενεάν, Ant. 1:10, 3 (Hengstenberg, Christology of the Old Testament, volume 1, Washington, 1836-9; Pauli, Analect. Hebraic. page 162, Oxford, 1839). Michaelis renders it, "Where was the providence that cared for his life?" Gesenius and Rosenmuller, "Who of his contemporaries reflected?" Seiler, "Who can describe his length of life?" In the New Testament (Mat_1:17), γενεαί is a series of persons, a succession from the same stock; so used by Josephus (Ant. 1:7, 2); Philo (Vit. Mos. 1:603); Mat_3:7, γεννήματα ἐχιδνῶν, is well rendered by Doddridge and others "brood of vipers." Mat_24:34, ἡ γενεὰ αὕτη means the generation or persons then living contemporary with Christ (see Macknight’s Harmony for an illustration of this sense). Luk_16:8, εἰς τὴν γενεὰν τἡν ἑαυτῶν, "in their generation," etc., wiser in regard to their dealings with the men of their generation; Rosenmuller gives, inter se. 1Pe_2:8, γένος ἐκλεκτόν, is a "chosen people," quoted from Sept. Vers. of Isa_43:20. The ancient Greeks, and, if we may credit Herodotus and Diodorus Siculus, the Egyptians also, assigned a certain period to a generation. The Greeks reckoned three generations for every hundred years, i.e., 331 years to each; Herod. 2:142, γενεαὶ τρεῖς ἀνδρῶν ἑκατὸν ἔτεά ἐστι, "Three generations of men make one hundred years." This is nearly the present computation. To the same effect Clem. Alexandrinus speaks (Strom. 1:2); so also Phavorinus, who, citing the age of Nestor from Homer (Il. 1:250), τῷ δ ἤδη δύο μὲν γενεαί, "two generations," says it means that ὑπερἑβη τὰ ἑξήκοντα ἔτη, "he was above sixty years old." The Greeks, however, assigned different periods to a γενεά at different times (Perizonius, Orig. Egypt. page 175 sq.; Jensius, Fercul. Literar. page 6). The ancient Hebrews also reckoned by the generation, and assigned different spaces of time to it at different periods of their history. In the time of Abraham it was one hundred years (comp. Gen_15:16, "In the fourth generation they shall come hither"). This is explained in Gen_15:13, and in Exo_12:40, to be four hundred years. Caleb was fourth in descent from Judah, and Moses and Aaron were fourth from Levi. In Deu_1:35; Deu_2:14, Moses uses the term for thirty- eight years. In later times (Baruch 6, in the Epistle of Jeremiah, ver. 2) γενεά clearly means ten years. In Mat_1:17, γενεά means a single descent from father to son. Homer uses the word in the same sense (II. 1:250); also Herodotus (1:3). (See Gesenius’s and Robinson’s Lexicons, under the above Heb. and Gr. words.) — Kitto, s.v. SEE GENEALOGY.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for pointing out some of your own understandings @Jayross. If you believe a generation would be a 1,000 years that is cool. Though we see differently it is okay. However when you mention that Jesus was speaking to all mankind, in the context of that specific instance of Jesus being with his disciples and a crowd of people from Czar Phillippi it would have to considered that generation would be them then. However though again we see differently, thank you for taking time to share.
It matters not what men do say my friend . JESUS was very clear as to the signs of the times as was the apostels .
We aint got near the time left folks think we do . The signs of the times are showing us that the coming of the KING draws ever nigh .
Never let anyone convince you to beleive the LORD delays His coming . That too is an end time sign .
For many , as in lotts , for many as in noahs days , WERE NOT LOOKING nor heeding the warning . SO too is this very generation
doing the same . Inquity has exploded more than ever and worse , worse , more and more are calling evil good and good evil
and all for the sake of a false love . Those same ones are also huge on world peace , unity and safety .
YET another sign . I will leave us with JESUS Words , WHO never allowed one to feel as though His coming was far off ,
BE watching and be ready , FOR YE KNOW NOT the HOUR YOUR LORD DOES COME . That dont sound like todays men
nor like james or paul , or peter who all said the coming of the LORD draws nigh . But again that is an END TIME SIGN .
MOST wouldnt be saying nor thinking HIS COMING was nigh , WHEN HE DID COME .
FOR HE TOO said , never the less when the SON of man comes will HE even find FAITH ON THE EARTH .
FOLKS are selling out . LET US NOT DO THE SAME . I tell us all , THE COMING OF THE LORD DRAWS NIGH
be watching and be ready for YE KNOW NOT the HOUR HE DOES COME , LEST COMING SUDDENLY
HE find you sleeping .

Reactions: Davy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It matters not what men do say my friend . JESUS was very clear as to the signs of the times as was the apostels .
We aint got near the time left folks think we do . The signs of the times are showing us that the coming of the KING draws ever nigh .
Never let anyone convince you to beleive the LORD delays His coming . That too is an end time sign .
For many , as in lotts , for many as in noahs days , WERE NOT LOOKING nor heeding the warning . SO too is this very generation
doing the same . Inquity has exploded more than ever and worse , worse , more and more are calling evil good and good evil
and all for the sake of a false love . Those same ones are also huge on world peace , unity and safety .
YET another sign . I will leave us with JESUS Words , WHO never allowed one to feel as though His coming was far off ,
BE watching and be ready , FOR YE KNOW NOT the HOUR YOUR LORD DOES COME . That dont sound like todays men
nor like james or paul , or peter who all said the coming of the LORD draws nigh . But again that is an END TIME SIGN .
MOST wouldnt be saying nor thinking HIS COMING was nigh , WHEN HE DID COME .
FOR HE TOO said , never the less when the SON of man comes will HE even find FAITH ON THE EARTH .
FOLKS are selling out . LET US NOT DO THE SAME . I tell us all , THE COMING OF THE LORD DRAWS NIGH
be watching and be ready for YE KNOW NOT the HOUR HE DOES COME , LEST COMING SUDDENLY
HE find you sleeping .

You are right @amigo de christo , my friend. We will die eventually and go and be judged by God let us live to Love God and love others and speak truth to them, and encourage and pray while we live and walk around on this earth friend. Hope you and your family have a good thanksgiving if you are having that.

God bless.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right @amigo de christo , my friend. We will die eventually and go and be judged by God let us live to Love God and love others and speak truth to them, and encourage and pray while we live and walk around on this earth friend. Hope you and your family have a good thanksgiving if you are having that.

God bless.
Yes indeed many have already long gone to be with the LORD . But let us know this as well ,
there is also a generation that will not sleep as others have , BUT WILL BE HERE AT THE COMING OF THE KING
to FLY UP TO HIM in an instant . THAT TOO IS VERY REAL .
THAT DAY is a coming . AND we , while we live upon this earth had better also be prepared to lose all for His name sake as well .
Cause out of great love i warn us , our betrayer and betrayal is nigh at hand .
And we cannot fear man nor what he can do to us . NOw march on my friend . march onwards in the LORD .

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
check this one out from the Smith Dic.

Generation
Generation. In the long-lived patriarchal age, a generation seems to have been computed at 100 years, Gen_15:16, compare Gen_15:13 and Ecc_12:40, but subsequently, the reckoning was the same which has been adopted by modern civilized nations, namely, From thirty to forty years Job_42:16.

Matthew, I have read these explanations as well, however, Gen 15:16 has nothing to do with Gen 15:13-14 and as such it does not justify your understanding that a generation is of the order of 100 years. The Genesis 15:16 prophecy was not fully understood until after 1948 AD when it was fulfilled. From when Isaac was born in 2052 SC, until some of Abraham's descendants returned in 1948 AD, in their own strength, as this one verse prophecy does not indicate that they returned to the land of Canaan with God's help at all, 4,000 years had passed. However, the length of an age/generation in this case is of the order of a little longer than 1,000 years, and the length of the time period can be countered upon the ten digits on our hands, such that towards the latter part of the fourth age/generation of Abraham's descendants, they did return to the Land of Canaan. However, this return to the Land of Canaan, is not associated with God's promise that after the two days of the Lord, i.e. some 2,000 plus years, that He would gather the Israelites to Himself and plant them in a prepared fertile field upon which they could gain nourishment from as He taught them about the things of His Everlasting Kingdom.

As people could not comprehend the time period of the Genesis 15:16 prophetic verse, they sort an explanation that they could wrap their heads around and so for 4,000 years, they linked 15:16 with the earlier verses in 15:13-14. However their are three distinct and separated prophecies found in Genesis 15:13-16 with the first and third prophecies being separated by the prophecy that God gave to Abraham concerning his later life.

I initial thought as you do at present, until I was able to connect the dots between historical years of 2052 BC and 1948 AD, where I could see the vanishing point or the end of the Genesis 15:16 prophecy.

In the references that you have provided above, they present a confusion of ideas based on a number of Hebrew words which have different embedded Hebrew Root contained within them.

The point I was making is that much study is needed to untangle what has been wrongly considered as God's "truth" from what is actually God's truth.

Shalom

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To each their own my friend @amigo de christo, @Jay Ross. As I was coming home today, looking at how some people have a lot of family and some people have little to no family. In this world every individual has their own life to live and every single one of them have their own, mind/will/emotion/heart.

Love to both of you and may you continue to trust and have faith in God rooted firmly in ones heart as we live and have love for one another even if people may believe and have differing opinions. You both are loved by God and all on this forum board in general.

Take care,
Matthew G.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew, I have read these explanations as well, however, Gen 15:16 has nothing to do with Gen 15:13-14 and as such it does not justify your understanding that a generation is of the order of 100 years. The Genesis 15:16 prophecy was not fully understood until after 1948 AD when it was fulfilled. From when Isaac was born in 2052 SC, until some of Abraham's descendants returned in 1948 AD, in their own strength, as this one verse prophecy does not indicate that they returned to the land of Canaan with God's help at all, 4,000 years had passed. However, the length of an age/generation in this case is of the order of a little longer than 1,000 years, and the length of the time period can be countered upon the ten digits on our hands, such that towards the latter part of the fourth age/generation of Abraham's descendants, they did return to the Land of Canaan. However, this return to the Land of Canaan, is not associated with God's promise that after the two days of the Lord, i.e. some 2,000 plus years, that He would gather the Israelites to Himself and plant them in a prepared fertile field upon which they could gain nourishment from as He taught them about the things of His Everlasting Kingdom.

As people could not comprehend the time period of the Genesis 15:16 prophetic verse, they sort an explanation that they could wrap their heads around and so for 4,000 years, they linked 15:16 with the earlier verses in 15:13-14. However their are three distinct and separated prophecies found in Genesis 15:13-16 with the first and third prophecies being separated by the prophecy that God gave to Abraham concerning his later life.

I initial thought as you do at present, until I was able to connect the dots between historical years of 2052 BC and 1948 AD, where I could see the vanishing point or the end of the Genesis 15:16 prophecy.

In the references that you have provided above, they present a confusion of ideas based on a number of Hebrew words which have different embedded Hebrew Root contained within them.

The point I was making is that much study is needed to untangle what has been wrongly considered as God's "truth" from what is actually God's truth.

Shalom
They were 400 years in Egypt. But even then it was the 4th generation after leaving Egypt who enjoyed Canaan. The first two generations died in the wilderness. It only took 40 years to kill off 2 generations. There were way more than 4 generations in Egypt over that 400 year period. Probably more like 15 to 20 generations. In 1000 years there can be 40 to 50 generations.

It would still take about 18,000 years for 1000 generations, if there was a new generation every 18 years.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
They were 400 years in Egypt. But even then it was the 4th generation after leaving Egypt who enjoyed Canaan. The first two generations died in the wilderness. It only took 40 years to kill off 2 generations. There were way more than 4 generations in Egypt over that 400 year period. Probably more like 15 to 20 generations. In 1000 years there can be 40 to 50 generations.

It would still take about 18,000 years for 1000 generations, if there was a new generation every 18 years.

You are right, Gen. 15:13-14 states that Abraham's descendants will be afflicted for 400 years. We are also told that this: -

1 Chron 7:20-27: - The Family of Ephraim

20 The sons of Ephraim were Shuthelah, Bered his son, Tahath his son, Eladah his son, Tahath his son, 21 Zabad his son, Shuthelah his son, and Ezer and Elead. The men of Gath who were born in that land killed them because they came down to take away their cattle. 22 Then Ephraim their father mourned many days, and his brethren came to comfort him.

23 And when he went in to his wife, she conceived and bore a son; and he called his name Beriah, because tragedy had come upon his house. 24 Now his daughter was Sheerah, who built Lower and Upper Beth Horon and Uzzen Sheerah; 25 and Rephah was his son, as well as Resheph, and Telah his son, Tahan his son, 26 Laadan his son, Ammihud his son, Elishama his son, 27 Nun his son, and Joshua his son.
NKJV

Here is the above passage in a diagram to show the descendants mention in 1 Chron 7:20-27 for you information: -

upload_2021-11-24_17-2-28.png

The accompanying footnotes to the sniped diagram above : -

upload_2021-11-24_17-3-40.png

It should be noted that the third, fourth and fifth descendant generation travelled down to Egypt with Jacob. Since this is the case, the assumption that only four descendant generations was born in Egypt is also a furphy that is overturned by the information above.

Hope this helps

Shalom

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Davy,

God bless,
Matthew G.
Except Davy is right, as shown by a KJV with Strongs dictionary numbers, then looking up t6e word GENERATION:

Mar 8:38 Whosoever G3739 G302  therefore G1063  shall be ashamed G1870  of me G3165  and G2532  of my G1699  words G3056  in G1722  this G5026  adulterous G3428  and G2532  sinful G268generation; G1074  of him G846  also G2532  shall the G3588  Son G5207  of man G444  be ashamed, G1870  when G3752  he cometh G2064  in G1722  the G3588  glory G1391  of his G848  Father G3962  with G3326  the G3588  holy G40  angels. G32

G1074 (Strong)

γενεά

genea

ghen-eh-ah'

From (a presumed derivative of) G1085; a generation; by implication an age (the period or the persons): - age, generation, nation, time.

Total KJV occurrences: 42

As you can see, it can mean an age, a generation, or a nation, or a time.

Given that fact, here’s how the CEV and GNB versions read in that verse:

Mar 8:38 Don't be ashamed of me and my message among these unfaithful and sinful people! If you are, the Son of Man will be ashamed of you when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. CEV

Mar 8:38 If you are ashamed of me and of my teaching in this godless and wicked day, then the Son of Man will be ashamed of you when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." GNB

Maranatha

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello you reader,

Please look at this, there is also evidence from the writings of Moses to consider.

“‘Surely not one of these men of this evil generation shall see that good land of which I swore to give to your fathers,”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭1:35‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“And the time we took to come from Kadesh Barnea until we crossed over the Valley of the Zered was thirty-eight years, until all the generation of the men of war was consumed from the midst of the camp, just as the Lord had sworn to them.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭2:14‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“You people of this generation are evil, and I refuse to let you go into the good land that I promised your ancestors.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭1:35‬ ‭CEV‬‬

“This was 38 years after we left Kadesh-Barnea, and by that time all the men who had been in the army at Kadesh-Barnea had died, just as the Lord had said they would.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭2:14‬ ‭CEV‬‬

38 years seems to be a generation which is according to the scriptures of Moses.

This is very new information to me and it coming from the very Bible itself.

And I believe that is highly important to at least consider, you must think and choose for yourself, and it’s been accustom for me to use the Kjv, Nkjv, Nasb, Nlt.

Thank you.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello you reader,

Please look at this, there is also evidence from the writings of Moses to consider.

“‘Surely not one of these men of this evil generation shall see that good land of which I swore to give to your fathers,”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭1:35‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“And the time we took to come from Kadesh Barnea until we crossed over the Valley of the Zered was thirty-eight years, until all the generation of the men of war was consumed from the midst of the camp, just as the Lord had sworn to them.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭2:14‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“You people of this generation are evil, and I refuse to let you go into the good land that I promised your ancestors.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭1:35‬ ‭CEV‬‬

“This was 38 years after we left Kadesh-Barnea, and by that time all the men who had been in the army at Kadesh-Barnea had died, just as the Lord had said they would.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭2:14‬ ‭CEV‬‬

38 years seems to be a generation which is according to the scriptures of Moses.

This is very new information to me and it coming from the very Bible itself.

And I believe that is highly important to at least consider, you must think and choose for yourself, and it’s been accustom for me to use the Kjv, Nkjv, Nasb, Nlt.

Thank you.
@MatthewG I do love the KJV...

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right, Gen. 15:13-14 states that Abraham's descendants will be afflicted for 400 years. We are also told that this: -

1 Chron 7:20-27: - The Family of Ephraim

20 The sons of Ephraim were Shuthelah, Bered his son, Tahath his son, Eladah his son, Tahath his son, 21 Zabad his son, Shuthelah his son, and Ezer and Elead. The men of Gath who were born in that land killed them because they came down to take away their cattle. 22 Then Ephraim their father mourned many days, and his brethren came to comfort him.

23 And when he went in to his wife, she conceived and bore a son; and he called his name Beriah, because tragedy had come upon his house. 24 Now his daughter was Sheerah, who built Lower and Upper Beth Horon and Uzzen Sheerah; 25 and Rephah was his son, as well as Resheph, and Telah his son, Tahan his son, 26 Laadan his son, Ammihud his son, Elishama his son, 27 Nun his son, and Joshua his son.
NKJV

Here is the above passage in a diagram to show the descendants mention in 1 Chron 7:20-27 for you information: -

View attachment 18822

The accompanying footnotes to the sniped diagram above : -

View attachment 18823

It should be noted that the third, fourth and fifth descendant generation travelled down to Egypt with Jacob. Since this is the case, the assumption that only four descendant generations was born in Egypt is also a furphy that is overturned by the information above.

Hope this helps

Shalom
I would agree with this. The word generation itself may have several applications in Scripture. But the common denominator is the point about the third and fourth generations. I doubt that has changed meaning over the millennia. 3rd and 4th generations would be grandchildren and great grandchildren.

And in those days people tended to wait till their 40's to have the next generation. But that is not a given. Joseph and Benjamin were the youngest, and Joseph had children earlier than the oldest sons of Jacob, who may have waited longer. But if a nation was to become great, they had offspring as early as possible and as many as possible. There was a lot of generation overlap just like today.

Israel did become a nation living in Egypt. One of the reasons infanticide was forced upon them.

I think the point I was trying to make is that those 4 generations came after the 400 years. And after leaving Egypt. Two of them dying out in the wilderness, because of unbelief. It still took 2 more generations to clear out the Amorites.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would agree with this. The word generation itself may have several applications in Scripture. But the common denominator is the point about the third and fourth generations. I doubt that has changed meaning over the millennia. 3rd and 4th generations would be grandchildren and great grandchildren.

And in those days people tended to wait till their 40's to have the next generation. But that is not a given. Joseph and Benjamin were the youngest, and Joseph had children earlier than the oldest sons of Jacob, who may have waited longer. But if a nation was to become great, they had offspring as early as possible and as many as possible. There was a lot of generation overlap just like today.

Israel did become a nation living in Egypt. One of the reasons infanticide was forced upon them.

I think the point I was trying to make is that those 4 generations came after the 400 years. And after leaving Egypt. Two of them dying out in the wilderness, because of unbelief. It still took 2 more generations to clear out the Amorites.

Sadly, you have adopted the tradition of the Jewish scholars who could not grasp that God's time span for His prophetic prophecies span many years, some times of the order of some 2,000 years as can be observed with Ex0dus 20:4-6 where the third and the fourth (generation) is mentioned. The visitation of the iniquities of the fathers, (of the first tow ages of the existence of Israel, i.e. of the order of 2,000 years0, will be visited upon their children and their children's children in the third and the fourth (generation) from the time of Christ's birth, up and until the end of this present age, a time period of the order of some 2,000 years, since God has not turned to hear their cries yet to remember them.

As for clearing out the Amorites from the land of Canaan, they still lived in the land in 1948 when some of Abraham's descendants return to the land of Canaan. This iniquities at this time was not the worship of Idols, but the adoption of the Islamic faith, where one of its tenants is that Jesus is not the Son of God, which is blasphemy before God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The judgement of the Amorite People for this blasphemy will come in our near future, because of their trampling of God's Sanctuary and His earthly hosts.

Now after some 400 years, this is recorded concerning the people of the Amorite nation: -

1 Kings 9:20-22: - 20 All the people who were left of the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites, who were not of the children of Israel — 21 that is, their descendants who were left in the land after them, whom the children of Israel had not been able to destroy completely — from these Solomon raised forced labor, as it is to this day. 22 But of the children of Israel Solomon made no forced laborers, because they were men of war and his servants: his officers, his captains, commanders of his chariots, and his cavalry.​
NKJV

This is also recorded in 2 Chronicles 8:7.

Now, Hosea 6:1-3 also confirms this same time period, of the order of some 2,000 years, as the length of the visitation of the iniquities of the fathers is visited upon the nation of Israel for their idolatrous worship. So the "third and the fourth (generation)" cannot be referring to the third and the fourth descendant generations as you have inferred above because the time span is far outside the time span for the third and the fourth generation.

The question that some may ask is "Does this really matter?" and the answer is yes. If we cannot comprehend God's prophetic word in this one small matter concerning how long God walks contrary to Israel, then how can we understand what else God has prophetically said would also happen. Look at the disagreements that continue over when the second advent of Christ will occur. The differences is of the order of 1,000 years.

The same is also true for when the expressed understanding of the author of the OP in this thread concerning when those around Jesus, when he made his statement in Mark 8:38, would experience the second death at His coming at His second advent. Jesus was speaking of a time of the order of 3,000 years into the future with reference to his first advent.

Shalom