massive bible contradiction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The bible says that the rich are evil
It says evil does no good
It says the rich people donate to charity
It says donating to charity is good

That means rich people are doing good by donating to charity even though rich people are evil who don't do good

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The Bible does not state that rich people are evil or that doing charity is good even if it is done with evil motivations.
"The Eye of a needle and the camel" verse says otherwise. Rich r all evil in the bible story

Also, the bible says most humans ever will go to hell and many of those people r likely to be rich

Mathew 19:24

Donating to charity is good because it saves the lives of the poor. The bible says the poor are the holy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

That means rich people are doing good by donating to charity even though rich people are evil who don't do good
Please will you provide scripture references for the above as we need to see it in context. Thank you.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"The Eye of a needle and the camel" verse says otherwise. Rich r all evil in the bible story

Also, the bible says most humans ever will go to hell and many of those people r likely to be rich

Donating to charity is good because it saves the lives of the poor. The bible says the poor are the holy
Matt 19:
16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[c] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

This passage does not say that the rich are All evil..
Note how the rich man does not talk about the commands involving serving God.
As proverbs says, the Love of money is the root of all evil.
Being rich does not make one evil, just as being poor does not make one righteous.

It is faith in Jesusthat saves.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus notably did not say that the rich are evil. Jesus did say that the widow who gave two coins gave more than those who gave out of their wealth.

Reactions: marks

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are seeming contradictions in scriptures....but a person has to actually know the scriptures to know them. And they are always fully explainable with wonderful lessons behind them.

Sad, an opportunity for excellence lost for false, low brow accusations.

Reactions: MA2444

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verses about wealth and the rich have nothing per se to do with evil. The point is simply that it is very difficult to have a heart for God and lead a godly life when one is wealthy - difficult, not impossible. Wealth often feeds upon itself, becomes a fixation, and feeds into the worst aspects of human nature. The wealthy for whom preserving and increasing their wealth isn't the central focus of their lives are fairly rare birds.

The verses about charity likewise have nothing to do with wealth per se. The point is that true charity demands sacrifice. When a wealthy person donates $1000 to charity, that's nice but has no great merit. When a poor person donates $10 and has to think about what she's going to have to do without, that has great merit. But a wealthy person can certainly be genuinely charitable.

There is no question in my mind that for the vast majority of people, rich and poor alike, Christian and non-Christian, Money is the actual God of their lives. This one fact explains 75% of what we see in this world. When I was a Southern Baptist, I used to joke that I was waiting for one pastor - just one - who had "felt God's call" to a smaller church that paid less money.

Anyway, this is one issue where I see no contradiction in the Bible, let alone a massive one.

Reactions: marks

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I;m sorry, did it say that they are rich with money?? Those rich in spirit do good by donating to charity but look at the woman who put in 2 cents and Jesus said she put in more than the rich guys did because she gave from her sustenance (her food money) while the righ guys gave from their excess just to show off.

So, be rich in spirit, like she was.

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Lol.

The bible says that if something helps u sin less it must be good. Donating to the poor helps everyone sin less. How is that not good?

If it helps u do good it is good. Donating helps make good happen. When a person chooses not to kill someone, that is not bad. That is good.

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The verses about wealth and the rich have nothing per se to do with evil. The point is simply that it is very difficult to have a heart for God and lead a godly life when one is wealthy - difficult, not impossible. Wealth often feeds upon itself, becomes a fixation, and feeds into the worst aspects of human nature. The wealthy for whom preserving and increasing their wealth isn't the central focus of their lives are fairly rare birds.

The verses about charity likewise have nothing to do with wealth per se. The point is that true charity demands sacrifice. When a wealthy person donates $1000 to charity, that's nice but has no great merit. When a poor person donates $10 and has to think about what she's going to have to do without, that has great merit. But a wealthy person can certainly be genuinely charitable.

There is no question in my mind that for the vast majority of people, rich and poor alike, Christian and non-Christian, Money is the actual God of their lives. This one fact explains 75% of what we see in this world. When I was a Southern Baptist, I used to joke that I was waiting for one pastor - just one - who had "felt God's call" to a smaller church that paid less money.

Anyway, this is one issue where I see no contradiction in the Bible, let alone a massive one.
The bible says that evil people don't do great things. Evil doesn't do great things. Great things are good things.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible says that evil people don't do great things. Evil doesn't do great things.
You say "the bible says" repeatedly, but I don't recall the Bible saying what you say the Bible says. You really need to cite verses to support your statements that "the bible says."

Reactions: Adrift

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Good acts get u to heaven because if u didn't do good acts u would not be listening to Jesus word

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You say "the bible says" repeatedly, but I don't recall the Bible saying what you say the Bible says. You really need to cite verses to support your statements that "the bible says."
Romans 7:19-25

Why would evil do good anyway?

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Evil people do good because they fight the evil within themselves to become good. Ironically the bible still says that no one does good.

If donating to charity is not good it must be bad. It can't be neither.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7:19-25

Why would evil do good anyway?
Well, thanks for the citation, but it doesn't say what you said ("The bible says that evil people don't do great things. Evil doesn't do great things."). Romans 7 has been the subject of more commentaries than perhaps any chapter in the Bible. Find a good one and get back to us. There does seem to be a kernel of thought in your posts; I don't get the feeling you're just playing games. Why not describe for us what your "Other Faith" is?

Reactions: MA2444

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

That quote is not about money. It’s about misidentification. If it said “someone who is poor” the meaning wouldn’t change.

One of the astounding aspects of what Jesus shared is that there is not a single contradiction in his words. He often (imo) invited people to think and see differently. Some say he even used words to provoke and engage people to do so.

Last edited:

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well, thanks for the citation, but it doesn't say what you said ("The bible says that evil people don't do great things. Evil doesn't do great things."). Romans 7 has been the subject of more commentaries than perhaps any chapter in the Bible. Find a good one and get back to us. There does seem to be a kernel of thought in your posts; I don't get the feeling you're just playing games. Why not describe for us what your "Other Faith" is?
The guy said that what made him sin wasn't good but it was evil. That implies evil doesn't do good. The guy was evil. If he was evil then how did he fight the evil within himself unless he did something good?

If good exists within himself, he is good. To contain the good u must do the good. To contain the good u must be the good

Last edited: