Mentally-Stimulating Music

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my favorite pieces right now. Would post the official video showing the guitar work as well, but crazy Owane always throws in extras, some of which are a bit unsuitable.

But I love watching good drummers too, though I prefer watching both where possible:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! That will take awhile to get through, LoL.

Thanks for the contributions. I have one for your thread as well if I can find it. ;)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my favorite fusion-progressive bands. Most of their work is heavy, but I love their romantic side on softer material, and their creative use of lyric phrasing is different.

Chorus:
Shouting order
Keeps the ground much
Colder
And I never get bored with
Tightening borders
And controlling
What can’t be controlled, so
Tell me
Can’t you wait here?
Holding these hopes just a bit closer
Stronger, Are we safe here?
Can’t be

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm not always into more complex forms of music - often I just enjoy simpler stuff - but then I also go on binges were I get deeply into more complex forms, including positive progressive and sometimes classical. I believe in the studies that have been done that more complex music stimulates brain activity, and it is certainly something the body of Christ like all people would benefit from. Granted, there is not a lot of more complex Christian music, which is why I often resort to secular stuff. But the fact that it has been shown in studies that not only human but even animal brain activity improves with the hearing of advanced musical structures proves the argument beyond doubt, at least to me anyway:

The ‘Mozart effect’: will classical music really make your baby smarter? - Classic FM

With that in mind, I hereby invite members who have classical, jazz or progressive interests to post on this thread if they would like to. I will start with some progressive that I've always liked. Yes is New Age, of course, but the theme of much of their music centers on love for others, so I enjoy the more modern stuff. I also prefer music with both power and intelligence behind it.

So here's my first offering. @Episkopos. Please accept my invitation to post some of your own work (I wouldn't mind listening to it again), as well as music that has inspired you and helped develop you as a musician. This site could use some life, and music often does the trick on other sites.

God bless to any who participate,
Hidden In Him

I love Jon Anderson's vocals. Steve Howe is a favorite picker of mine. Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford, Chris Squire, Alan White, Patrick Moraz, Tony Kaye.
In the middle of my teenage years, you know when a certain music style becomes yours, I was sitting in a friend's car when I first heard, "And You And I." It sounded like the most perfect song I'd ever heard. To say I was a Yes fan was a huge understatement.
Roger Dean, along with Peter Max, were my favorite artists. Back before I started to experience the long-term effects of chronic drug use.
When I'm in the mood, I'll listen to Yes, especially, "Close To The Edge." Shalom.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love Jon Anderson's vocals. Steve Howe is a favorite picker of mine. Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford, Chris Squire, Alan White, Patrick Moraz, Tony Kaye.
In the middle of my teenage years, you know when a certain music style becomes yours, I was sitting in a friend's car when I first heard, "And You And I." It sounded like the most perfect song I'd ever heard. To say I was a Yes fan was a huge understatement.
Roger Dean, along with Peter Max, were my favorite artists. Back before I started to experience the long-term effects of chronic drug use.
When I'm in the mood, I'll listen to Yes, especially, "Close To The Edge." Shalom.

To this day I still get a different feel listening to Yes music. It's like entering a different mindset. I know about their being New Age and all, but you never got the feeling like they were being fake when writing about love, or friendship, or setting aside negativity. It was real and tangible, and the music was just more creative and skilled than I hear from most Christian artists today.

I dunno. I suppose I'll be "saved" from this state of affairs when I finally get to Heaven. I think it will be filled with good music continually. Until then, I tend to gravitate more towards worldly stuff still. I can't take cookie cutter. It gets old after awhile, and it makes me not trust their sincerity sometimes as well.

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To this day I still get a different feel listening to Yes music. It's like entering a different mindset. I know about their being New Age and all, but you never got the feeling like they were being fake when writing about love, or friendship, or setting aside negativity. It was real and tangible, and the music was just more creative and skilled than I hear from most Christian artists today.

I dunno. I suppose I'll be "saved" from this state of affairs when I finally get to Heaven. I think it will be filled with good music continually. Until then, I tend to gravitate more towards worldly stuff still. I can't take cookie cutter. It gets old after awhile, and it makes me not trust their sincerity sometimes as well.

Did you know Jon Anderson is a Christian? - I know what you mean about a different feel. Like there really could be a place where life instilled a sense of wonder and awe. Where everything really was alright. Like in a Roger Dean painting.
A painter has a plethora of colors and shades to work with. Musical tones are just sonic colors. As in everything, it's the spirit that matters.
I used to be part of a fellowship where every meeting began with a time of worship. 2 or 3 songs, no big production. Just a continual reminder of our dependence on our loving Father. We had an almost constant conscious awareness of God's sweet presence. It seems like it's a bit of a secret. Shalom.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not always into more complex forms of music - often I just enjoy simpler stuff - but then I also go on binges were I get deeply into more complex forms, including positive progressive and sometimes classical. I believe in the studies that have been done that more complex music stimulates brain activity, and it is certainly something the body of Christ like all people would benefit from. Granted, there is not a lot of more complex Christian music, which is why I often resort to secular stuff. But the fact that it has been shown in studies that not only human but even animal brain activity improves with the hearing of advanced musical structures proves the argument beyond doubt, at least to me anyway:

The ‘Mozart effect’: will classical music really make your baby smarter? - Classic FM

With that in mind, I hereby invite members who have classical, jazz or progressive interests to post on this thread if they would like to. I will start with some progressive that I've always liked. Yes is New Age, of course, but the theme of much of their music centers on love for others, so I enjoy the more modern stuff. I also prefer music with both power and intelligence behind it.

So here's my first offering. @Episkopos. Please accept my invitation to post some of your own work (I wouldn't mind listening to it again), as well as music that has inspired you and helped develop you as a musician. This site could use some life, and music often does the trick on other sites.

God bless to any who participate,
Hidden In Him

Awesome. They remind me a bit of The Trans Siberian Orchestra!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kinda cool. This is the piece recommended in that Mozart link, only with a better video using some clever camera work:

I missed this video when you posted it last May, so I'm just now commenting on it. Better late than never. :(

Wow! I love seeing such accomplished pianists play Mozart. I didn't take piano til college, and that's way too late to become proficient at it. Much better to start lessons as a child. So, parents, get your kids lessons when they're young!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Pretty song.

I was aware Wakeman became a Christian. I wasn't aware of Anderson.
I wasn't aware that Wakeman had become a believer. I'm glad to hear that.
One day years ago I was listening to a Christian radio station when a song came on by a guy named Ray Bolger. I believe he was the guy responsible for "Thank You For Giving To The Lord," which in its own Christianese sort of way was an amazing song.
Anyway, the next verse started and I thought, "Wait a minute, that sounds exactly like Jon Anderson, but he's not a Christian." After the song ended, the D.J. confirmed that it was indeed Anderson and that he had accepted Christ.

Reactions: BeauJangles