Mentally-Stimulating Music

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love Jon Anderson's vocals. Steve Howe is a favorite picker of mine. Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford, Chris Squire, Alan White, Patrick Moraz, Tony Kaye.
In the middle of my teenage years, you know when a certain music style becomes yours, I was sitting in a friend's car when I first heard, "And You And I." It sounded like the most perfect song I'd ever heard. To say I was a Yes fan was a huge understatement.
Roger Dean, along with Peter Max, were my favorite artists. Back before I started to experience the long-term effects of chronic drug use.
When I'm in the mood, I'll listen to Yes, especially, "Close To The Edge." Shalom.
Yes continued to be really great with Trevor Rabin taking the lead guitar during the 1980's. Ultra progressive on his own solo LPs. If you enjoy stunning jazz/rock fusion I highly recommend his Jacaranda project. It's lively and crackling with virtuosity, but does have a slower more classical track in this LP. Rabin even plays dobro on several tunes though it is far from country music. The dobro is primarily used as a bluegrass instrument. He masters it very the same as Jerry Douglas has.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Was the 90125? An excellent album. As to the others you named, I don't know them. I stopped, for the most part, being into secular music 26 years ago. Yahweh enabled me to be a worship leader. After He showed me His love for me, I just kinda walked away from it.
I used to really like a guy named, "Al Dimeola." When I'm in the mood for it, I enjoy jazz. If I'm in the mood and it's right, I like just about anything. Except anything demonic, that is.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! I love seeing such accomplished pianists play Mozart. I didn't take piano til college, and that's way too late to become proficient at it. Much better to start lessons as a child. So, parents, get your kids lessons when they're young!

Yes. That video was really clever. And most great musicians start fairly early. Takes a great deal of experience to become that proficient.

The trouble is, if you're going to get kids into music, you have to try not to burn them out on it. It's work, and if they are not properly self-motivated, they may abandon it even if they have a genuine gift.

But the idea of the study is that playing it for them is good for the mind, and it accustoms them to more complex thinking and more complex music.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. That video was really clever. And most great musicians start fairly early. Takes a great deal of experience to become that proficient.

The trouble is, if you're going to get kids into music, you have to try not to burn them out on it. It's work, and if they are not properly self-motivated, they may abandon it even if they have a genuine gift.

But the idea of the study is that playing it for them is good for the mind, and it accustoms them to more complex thinking and more complex music.
I believe Mozart wrote his first piece at the age of five. Of course, he was a child prodigy. Most kids don't have his talent.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was the 90125? An excellent album.
Holy Lamb was recorded on the next album Yes released, Big Generator. This was when I saw them perform was during The Big Generator Tour. Audiences of all ages were in attendance. One of many highlights of the show was when Chris Squire played Amazing Grace on bass guitar. No accompanying vocals, just instrumentation. It was beautiful! Of course, Roundabout got the crowd to their feet and even children were singing along with the lyrics. Yes gave one of the most memorable and meaningful concerts I've ever attended. I agree 90125 and Big Generator were both tremendous albums.

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to really like a guy named, "Al Dimeola." When I'm in the mood for it, I enjoy jazz.
I got into jazz and jazz/rock fusion later on during the 1980s. Al Dimeola and others like Pat Metheny Pat captured my interest during this period. I attended concerts such as The Yellow Jackets, Spyro Gyra, and Hiroshima also during these years. I'm not fond of trad or bebop nor do I care for jazz that's played too rapidly for extended time sequences. It tends to make me nervous. I'm a bit particular when it comes to jazz.

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Granted, there is not a lot of more complex Christian music, which is why I often resort to secular stuff.
The Celtic Christian band Iona from Ireland did an album that featured Robert Fripp lead guitar player for King Crimson. While a good most of their album Journey Into Morn is pretty mellow, "Fripotronics" are interspersed with a lot of taste and flair. But as for progressive rock, have you ever given a listen to Michael W. Smith's LP The Big Big Picture? It's probably the most progressive rock-oriented album Smitty ever did. I like to give it a listen now and again. Released in 1986, here's Wired For Sound.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I got into jazz and jazz/rock fusion later on during the 1980s. Al Dimeola and others like Pat Metheny Pat captured my interest during this period. I attended concerts such as The Yellow Jackets, Spyro Gyra, and Hiroshima also during these years. I'm not fond of trad or bebop nor do I care for jazz that's played too rapidly for extended time sequences. It tends to make me nervous. I'm a bit particular when it comes to jazz.
I recall long-ago times when I'd sit up late at night listening to the radio. At one point a jazz show would come on and I'd half-realize it until I started feeling kinda weird. It was the jazz. Lol I called it mental music because I'd start feeling strange when I listened to too much of it. It definitely made me feel nervous!
The Yes clip you posted was new to me, except that it sounded like they were on top of their game. Sharp! I still like the band. They can't compete with the anointing but I enjoy them just the same.
One of the first songs I learned when I started playing guitar was, "Mood For A Day." I got it from a piano arrangement and have since learned it in every position. Lol I still have to practice it for a week or so if I want to get it right.
I also learned a bunch of jazz classics because I loved the chording. I can do modal playing but since I was never that interested in it, I'm not that good at it. I've always liked the blues if it's real. Blues, rock, folk, and a bit of country are my main influences.
I made a simple video of a song I wrote 20 years ago. It's on the thread, "The Sound Of War," and that's also the song's name. I had to play it often until 9/11. Then the need to play it left. The need has recently returned.
The first part is Jeremiah 4:19 and the second half is from my experiences with "the purification of the sons of Levi." Death to self, basically. Though I used to sing, "Kiss The Son," and mean it, I really didn't understand what it would really be like.
You have a nice night. Ron.

Reactions: BeauJangles

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Holy Lamb was recorded on the next album Yes released, Big Generator. This was when I saw them perform was during The Big Generator Tour. Audiences of all ages were in attendance. One of many highlights of the show was when Chris Squire played Amazing Grace on bass guitar. No accompanying vocals, just instrumentation. It was beautiful! Of course, Roundabout got the crowd to their feet and even children were singing along with the lyrics. Yes gave one of the most memorable and meaningful concerts I've ever attended. I agree 90125 and Big Generator were both tremendous albums.

I never saw them in concert, but my mother said she did back in the early days. She said they could hit highs together like few bands she ever saw. They would hit moments during a concert where they were just in sync in an uncanny way, like during the solo in Roundabout.
The Celtic Christian band Iona from Ireland did an album that featured Robert Fripp lead guitar player for King Crimson. While a good most of their album Journey Into Morn is pretty mellow, "Fripotronics" are interspersed with a lot of taste and flair. But as for progressive rock, have you ever given a listen to Michael W. Smith's LP The Big Big Picture? It's probably the most progressive rock-oriented album Smitty ever did. I like to give it a listen now and again. Released in 1986, here's Wired For Sound.

Thanks for the heads up. I remember seeing a worship concert done by him in 2015 or so. It had some nice things in it. I was never a huge fan of Michael W. Smith's, but I always liked him : )

Reactions: BeauJangles

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was never a huge fan of Michael W. Smith's, but I always liked him : )
I'd have to agree with you about not being an avid fan either and have little by Michael W. Smith in my collection. However, when The Big Picture was released, this avenue he temporally took really did catch my attention. This veered totally away from his poppy commercial sound and I found the entire project of it to be very progressive. I believe Smitty was attempting to keep abreast of the aspect in how music had changed with the alternative and new wave styles. Note the hair and clothing. While The Big Picture isn't in the new wave category at all, it is progressive in similarity to the album Power Windows by Canadian prog-rockers Rush. Here's a comparative example. Mystic Rhythms ~Rush - LP: Power Windows (1985)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Listening to this this morning. Amazing how good musicians can make something so difficult look so easy. If Owane weren't into including strangely bizarre things in his videos and adhering to a faith I'm diametrically opposed to, I'd be a bigger fan. But he's unquestionably pleasurable to listen to.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
here's a few... ;)

Hey John!

Something just dawned on me. Don't know if you watched Post #75 or not, but I've been getting into this guy. Didn't realize that he does all his own instrumentation, and was such a good bass player. Then I realized I would really like to see you play as well.

Have any videos of you actually playing? You ought to consider it if you don't. It's more entertaining than looking at a static image.

Just a thought. Might give you something to work on, since I know you love working on music projects.

God bless. Hope the Lord is keeping you in all His graces
- H

P.S. Another one while I'm at it. Uses a little slap in this one; goes from one grove to another (1:07 forward).

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hey John!

Something just dawned on me. Don't know if you watched Post #75 or not, but I've been getting into this guy. Didn't realize that he does all his own instrumentation, and was such a good bass player. Then I realized I would really like to see you play as well.

Have any videos of you actually playing? You ought to consider it if you don't. It's more entertaining than looking at a static image.

Just a thought. Might give you something to work on, since I know you love working on music projects.

God bless. Hope the Lord is keeping you in all His graces
- H

P.S. Another one while I'm at it. Uses a little slap in this one; goes from one grove to another (1:07 forward).

Very good selections you posted. I don't have any videos, sorry. :)

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the most progressive dobro playing I've heard outside the stylings of Jerry Douglas. From the Jacaranda project, former lead guitarist for Yes, this is Trevor Rabin performing a piece called, Anerley Road. Stunning work here live in the studio and released in 2012. Rabin is still putting out albums and recorded his latest this year.

Last edited: