Mentally-Stimulating Music

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Listening to this this morning. Amazing how good musicians can make something so difficult look so easy. If Owane weren't into including strangely bizarre things in his videos and adhering to a faith I'm diametrically opposed to, I'd be a bigger fan. But he's unquestionably pleasurable to listen to.
Very reminiscent of former lead guitarist for Deep Purple, Kansas, and jazz/rock fusion group, Dixie Dregs, Steve Morse. This is a very tasty piece of work. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds a little like Steve Howe, doesn't it. Sounds a lot like Steve Howe in some places. Enjoying it. :)

Is that his daughter, or his bass player? (5:16 - 5:31)
Yes, I agree. Trevor did keep a lot of his work very similar to Steve Howe, also from Yes. I'm not sure about the identity of the bass player, however. Quite a lot from Rabin's work sounds a bit like his days with the band. Jacaranda has a very diversified sound from classical to very progressive rock. Eric Johnson also plays in a very close style to these extremely talented guitarists.

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahh that's what I haven't done for a while... Played some classical music...
The masters of baroque were almost considered rock stars in their day as well and not everything they composed won immediate adoration from their audiences. This would also be my favorite era in the world of classical music. I've been able to attend concerts in every genre of musical entertainment since early childhood. The final performance I went to was the well-famed acoustic guitarist, Leo Kottke.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi @BeauJangles and welcome...;) I think we may have crossed paths on another forum before

I've been able to attend concerts in every genre of musical entertainment since early childhood

I'd love to go to se an orchestra one day, live, preferably at a venue designed for efficient acoustics like the Opera house...

That's a massive claim... Every genre of music... How many genres are there... All the European nations haver their own folk music...
For example, have u heard of Fado?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is my favorite group as of about a week ago. These guys come off like a bunch of Geeks who just got together and decided to form a band, but they really put out some quality stuff. Puts a smile on my face everyday just listening to it. The drummer does some things that are so good they make me bust out laughing.

Debut album from 2017. Hip Dipper (10:34-14:38) is the song that hooked me. Discovered them late, but better late than never.

Not sure why they deliberately included glitches in this video, but I guess it's just something quirky they do.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the most progressive dobro playing I've heard outside the stylings of Jerry Douglas. From the Jacaranda project, former lead guitarist for Yes, this is Trevor Rabin performing a piece called, Anerley Road. Stunning work here live in the studio and released in 2012. Rabin is still putting out albums and recorded his latest this year.
He's awesome!

Reactions: BeauJangles

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fun to watch in the dark.

I'm now convinced that Progressive without a top of the line keyboard player isn't Progressive at all. Piano breaks provide such a beautiful and peaceful contrast in sound that I find it hard to listen to Prog bands without one now.

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm now convinced that Progressive without a top of the line keyboard player isn't Progressive at all. Piano breaks provide such a beautiful and peaceful contrast in sound that I find it hard to listen to Prog bands without one now.
This is one really impressive track that is sure to please the most noteworthy critic. What a wonderful score of music this was listening to. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know the torch is still being carried. I suppose this means the race isn't over either. This tune sizzles with life and exuberance. Blaze on.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one really impressive track that is sure to please the most noteworthy critic. What a wonderful score of music this was listening to. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know the torch is still being carried. I suppose this means the race isn't over either. This tune sizzles with life and exuberance. Blaze on.

Yes. They were very well received.

About the torch being past, I do find it great that there are more bands producing complex music without it being all death and destruction these days. And it's not as if they aren't aware of the darker side of Progressive. I saw a video the drummer playing along to some really hard core stuff, and he was nailing it. But not everything in life always has to be gloom and doom.

Also been into this for the last month or so. I find it relaxing, especially from 2:04 on. It has an elegance to it.

God bless, BeauJangles, and thanks for your posts.

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a beautiful piece! I listened to it twice : )

Shame you can't see him playing in the video, but it's still really nice.

It was a real pleasure bringing this track to you. I stumbled across this CD at a little musical kiosk inside a little gift shop in the central coast region, which is popular with a lot of tourists. Of course, the title track caught my immediate attention and I asked the proprietor who was performing on this delightful piece of acoustic mastery.

Though Billy McLaughlin isn't a big name like others in the acoustic artist category, he's no stranger either. McLaughlin has been on many compiled releases of Steel And Wood, where other acoustic guitarists are
featured. Look for the Narnia record label if interested. The best is always a priority with those honored with a spot.

As you listen to the piece preferably with a decent set of headphones or earbuds, the majority of the Fingerdance track is an extensive effort of hammer-ons and pull-offs. 99.9% of it as a matter of fact. This is what drew me to the overall brilliance of the release as a whole and is the liveliest composition on the project.

One thing noteworthy on the liner notes was this. By a disadvantaged theft, all Billy's electric guitars were stolen leaving him with the acoustic guitars he had remaining, all manufactured by Guild. (I own a 1976 D-25) Rather than allowing this loss as a setback, he managed to use it as an advantage furthering his skills as an acoustic player.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It was a real pleasure bringing this track to you. I stumbled across this CD at a little musical kiosk inside a little gift shop in the central coast region, which is popular with a lot of tourists. Of course, the title track caught my immediate attention and I asked the proprietor who was performing on this delightful piece of acoustic mastery.

Though Billy McLaughlin isn't a big name like others in the acoustic artist category, he's no stranger either. McLaughlin has been on many compiled releases of Steel And Wood, where other acoustic guitarists are
featured. Look for the Narnia record label if interested. The best is always a priority with those honored with a spot.

As you listen to the piece preferably with a decent set of headphones or earbuds, the majority of the Fingerdance track is an extensive effort of hammer-ons and pull-offs. 99.9% of it as a matter of fact. This is what drew me to the overall brilliance of the release as a whole and is the liveliest composition on the project.

One thing noteworthy on the liner notes was this. By a disadvantaged theft, all Billy's electric guitars were stolen leaving him with the acoustic guitars he had remaining, all manufactured by Guild. (I own a 1976 D-25) Rather than allowing this loss as a setback, he managed to use it as an advantage furthering his skills as an acoustic player.
@BeauJangles Sorry about those thefts...

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BeauJangles Intricate finger work there...

Indeed it is. Billy McLaughlin has an extensive catalog that spans many years of acoustic artistry. Fingerdance is a selected favorite. His brilliance as a player has gone predominantly unnoticed by many who really do enjoy acoustic guitar virtuosity.

Reactions: farouk