Mentally-Stimulating Music

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BeauJangles In the Hendrix league, you reckon? :)

Hendrix was no slouch on a 12 string acoustic himself. I watched a rockumentary recently featuring some tasty blues licks few could have done as well. I suppose we will never know how far Jimi could have gone exploring more as an acoustic player. The only question would be this. Could his teeth have held up to the enamel abuse of good dental work after so many years?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one reminds me of what it's like logging on to the various Christian forums, LoL. You log on attempting to be a beautiful thing (a butterfly), but if you're not careful the monsters and the bloodsuckers prey on you, and turn you into one of them. And whether you stay faithful to God or not, the palmerworm and the cankerworm and the locusts and the caterpillars are everywhere, seeking to steal away whatever word that was sown regardless.

That sounds cheery, LoL, but life is good anyway. Not sure anything can ever be done about the forums. I think the idea is just to be true to God and true to your calling, and do your best to remain a beautiful thing regardless.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That stuff has never interested me. I don't think someone has to listen to this type of music in order to be mentally stimulated or to be intelligent. When I needed to access areas of my brain that were walled off, God led me to very specific Christian music, and to type while listening in surround sound ....to bring left and right sides of the brain together, create new connections.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That stuff has never interested me. I don't think someone has to listen to this type of music in order to be mentally stimulated or to be intelligent. When I needed to access areas of my brain that were walled off, God led me to very specific Christian music, and to type while listening in surround sound ....to bring left and right sides of the brain together, create new connections.

To each his own. Some Christian music and worship I find sincere and edifying. Much of it I find artificial, contrived, boring, uncreative, stilted and mentally stupefying. I envy my wife. She can listen to Christian music all the time, and it doesn't effect her in the same way as it does me. But I can't change how I was created.

It's the hand I was dealt.

Speaking of which, another one I identify with. I find 4:37-5:42 exceptional.

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To each his own. Some Christian music and worship I find sincere and edifying. Much of it I find artificial, contrived, boring, uncreative, stilted and mentally stupefying. I envy my wife. She can listen to Christian music all the time, and it doesn't effect her in the same way as it does me. But I can't change how I was created.

It's the hand I was dealt.

Speaking of which, another one I identify with. I find 4:37-5:42 exceptional.

I don't understand why a Christian wouldn't want to listen to Christian music. I think there are a few keys to why some listen to Christian and some don't. It is in the heart where one who listens is actually entering i to worship, a place of singing in their heart to the Lord ....a communion with Him ....as opposed to focusing on whoever is singing it ....sing the words to Him from your own heart.

Ephesians 5 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¹⁹ Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; ²⁰ Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” — Colossians 3:16 (KJV)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand why a Christian wouldn't want to listen to Christian music. I think there are a few keys to why some listen to Christian and some don't. It is in the heart where one who listens is actually entering i to worship, a place of singing in their heart to the Lord ....a communion with Him ....as opposed to focusing on whoever is singing it ....sing the words to Him from your own heart.

Ephesians 5 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¹⁹ Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; ²⁰ Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” — Colossians 3:16 (KJV)

I wasn't talking about worship. When it comes to that, I find worship in other languages better, especially Hispanic. I think it is usually more genuine and better orchestrated. But the mind should not be left out either musically or lyrically.

In the Intro to this song (Be My Universe), he's explaining that the greatest commandment is to love the Lord with your whole heart, your whole soul, your whole mind, and your whole strength; in other words we are to love Him with EVERYTHING that we are. In many cases, I find one or more lacking, including if not especially the third.

I'll share some of my favorite worship, but please don't derail this thread. I'm begging you. We have dozens on worship. We have only one like this.

Another of his I love:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@TLHKAJ Really good verses there. Yes, it's the believer's melody in the heart...

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like how these guys take time to teach. They release videos teaching on music theory and technique, and provide books on chord structire.

@Episkopos. Not sure if you are keeping up, but there's some nice bass work from 2:35-3:11 on this one. I admire guys who can work around complex chords.

Hope you are well, and enjoying the holiday season.
- H

Reactions: Episkopos

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That stuff has never interested me. I don't think someone has to listen to this type of music in order to be mentally stimulated or to be intelligent.

The primary purpose of the music is to enjoy it. Dissection and/or general surgery was not the reason or it may have never become inspired to be composed in the first place. If it's the secular musicians and their philosophies that are placing roadblocks to your listening pleasure, may I present Phil Keaggy to you with total abandon to further concerns of his spiritual standpoints? Phil is a rock-solid Christian musician with a tremendous amount of heart and soul. You won't find a bad track on this entire project. I've had the joyous occasion of seeing Keaggy in concert three times.

th

Reactions: Hidden In Him

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The primary purpose of the music is to enjoy it. Dissection and/or general surgery was not the reason or it may have never become inspired to be composed in the first place. If it's the secular musicians and their philosophies that are placing roadblocks to your listening pleasure, may I present Phil Keaggy to you with total abandon to further concerns of his spiritual standpoints? Phil is a rock-solid Christian musician with a tremendous amount of heart and soul. You won't find a bad track on this entire project. I've had the joyous occasion of seeing Keaggy in concert three times.

th

Actually, scripture admonishes us to direct our music, praises, singing toward God. “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” — Matthew 6:21 (KJV)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Actually, scripture admonishes us to direct our music, praises, singing toward God. “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” — Matthew 6:21 (KJV)
@TLHKAJ Good verse there. "Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord" (Ephesians 5.19).

Dec 8, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not always into more complex forms of music - often I just enjoy simpler stuff - but then I also go on binges were I get deeply into more complex forms, including positive progressive and sometimes classical. I believe in the studies that have been done that more complex music stimulates brain activity, and it is certainly something the body of Christ like all people would benefit from. Granted, there is not a lot of more complex Christian music, which is why I often resort to secular stuff. But the fact that it has been shown in studies that not only human but even animal brain activity improves with the hearing of advanced musical structures proves the argument beyond doubt, at least to me anyway:

The ‘Mozart effect’: will classical music really make your baby smarter? - Classic FM

With that in mind, I hereby invite members who have classical, jazz or progressive interests to post on this thread if they would like to. I will start with some progressive that I've always liked. Yes is New Age, of course, but the theme of much of their music centers on love for others, so I enjoy the more modern stuff. I also prefer music with both power and intelligence behind it.

So here's my first offering. @Episkopos. Please accept my invitation to post some of your own work (I wouldn't mind listening to it again), as well as music that has inspired you and helped develop you as a musician. This site could use some life, and music often does the trick on other sites.

God bless to any who participate,
Hidden In Him

Thank you for sharing :)

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Dec 8, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not always into more complex forms of music - often I just enjoy simpler stuff - but then I also go on binges were I get deeply into more complex forms, including positive progressive and sometimes classical. I believe in the studies that have been done that more complex music stimulates brain activity, and it is certainly something the body of Christ like all people would benefit from. Granted, there is not a lot of more complex Christian music, which is why I often resort to secular stuff. But the fact that it has been shown in studies that not only human but even animal brain activity improves with the hearing of advanced musical structures proves the argument beyond doubt, at least to me anyway:

The ‘Mozart effect’: will classical music really make your baby smarter? - Classic FM

With that in mind, I hereby invite members who have classical, jazz or progressive interests to post on this thread if they would like to. I will start with some progressive that I've always liked. Yes is New Age, of course, but the theme of much of their music centers on love for others, so I enjoy the more modern stuff. I also prefer music with both power and intelligence behind it.

So here's my first offering. @Episkopos. Please accept my invitation to post some of your own work (I wouldn't mind listening to it again), as well as music that has inspired you and helped develop you as a musician. This site could use some life, and music often does the trick on other sites.

God bless to any who participate,
Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you please share a list of bands For everyone.

Hi sister! I was wondering where you went : )

Well, I just sort of post as I go. Not everything by one band is outstanding. Some albums are better than others, even by the same artist.

So I just sort of find stuff, and that in turn leads me to other stuff. Youtube will bring similar music up that other people are listening to whenever you click on a particular song or album.

So what sorts of music are you into? We have fans of nearly every genre here, especially when it comes to worship and Christian music. I find it curious that you'd appreciate the things I post. Aside from BeauJangles, I'm kinda on my own around here when it comes to that, LoL.

God bless, and good to see you back again!

Reactions: JenniferAutumn
Dec 8, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi sister! I was wondering where you went : )

Well, I just sort of post as I go. Not everything by one band is outstanding. Some albums are better than others, even by the same artist.

So I just sort of find stuff, and that in turn leads me to other stuff. Youtube will bring similar music up that other people are listening to whenever you click on a particular song or album.

So what sorts of music are you into? We have fans of nearly every genre here, especially when it comes to worship and Christian music. I find it curious that you'd appreciate the things I post. Aside from BeauJangles, I'm kinda on my own around here when it comes to that, LoL.

God bless, and good to see you back again!
I enjoy all music. Depends on my mood. Every time you have posted music I've loved it. :)