Misfit of the 20th century

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
PASSOVER MORNING
And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King...

PASSOVER EVENING
And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath...And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.

FIRST DAY OF UNLEAVENED BREAD (A HIGH SABBATH)
Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate...

True: Abib 14 "That Selfsame Whole Day": from "evening..." Mark 14:12,17 Matthew 26:17,20 Luke 22:7,14 John 13:1,30 to '~PASSOVER MORNING And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King...~' "the first day they KILLED the passover" John 13:1-John 19:14.

True: Abib 15: from '~PASSOVER EVENING~' And now when the even was come, because it was / had become the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath ..." from "AT THE FIRST NIGHT" of "unleavened bread ye shall eat" 24 hours later from "late in the evening" Exodus 12:8 Leviticus 23:6 Mark 15:42-46a TO 47 Matthew 27:57-59 to 60-61 John 19:31-41 TO 42 Luke 23:50-53 TO 56a "That Selfsame Whole Day" of Abib 15 : WHERE IT STARTED ENDING: HERE: "And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on". Luke 23:54.

Therefore incorrect: '~FIRST DAY OF UNLEAVENED BREAD (A HIGH SABBATH) Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate...~'

Why incorrect? In the first place because it was the SECOND day of ulb; and Why incorrect? Because of Matthew 27:62 saying, "the next day, that followed the day of The Preparation" WHICH started in Matthew 27:57, and WHICH lasted FROM Matthew 27:57-59 TO 60-61, just the same as in the other Gospels Mark 15:42-46a TO 47 John 19:31-41 TO 42 Luke 23:50-53 TO 56a. Which "next day that followed the day of The Preparation" now was the holy Sabbath Day of the Jews they had no respect or scruples for to desecrate, because it was the last and THIRD of the "three days" Jesus prophesied that He would rise from the dead on, and they knew it and said so themselves!

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It seems that this discussion is about when the Jewish Thursday evening was back when Christ was crucified.

The Jewish calendar has the day starting at sunset, so with respect to our present definition of a day, which arbitrarily start at the relative time of 12:00 am/midnight, our Wednesday evening, is the Jewish Thursday evening and was part of the day of preparation for the Passover meal on the Friday.

So as is recorded in another Gospel, Jesus arrived at Bethany on the Friday afternoon, around or just shortly after the time that the Sabbath day started, six days before the Passover feast was to occurred. The Passover feast occurred on the Friday that year, which is also considered to be a Sabbath Day within the Jewish culture.

It seems to me that this floundering thread is based on a mistaken assumption.

Shalom

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate...

Exactly, the day after is a High Sabbath, from sundown to sundown, Why were the Priests about any business with Pilate during a High Sabbath! They would be Defied

Reactions: Enoch111

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
February 1958....

In order to textual wording and textual sequence, contextual position and contextual relevancy, chronological stipulation and chronological inevitability, and logical definition and logical inference to historical setting or background and historical event or reality, there is this one misfit between ‘~Matthew 27:62; Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54; John 19:14,31,42~’, viz, John 19:14.

I have read the verses that you posted, and the only misfit I can see is that the Priests were about their business, dealing with Pilate, which by the Law would defile them, during the Sabbath

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I have read the verses that you posted, and the only misfit I can see is that the Priests were about their business, dealing with Pilate, which by the Law would defile them, during the Sabbath

If you consult Ginrich or Bauer or any other lexicon or thing, all published AFTER Bauer's, for the word 'paraskeueh' - 'preparation' Noun, you will find the same conglomeration, because they are all the NT incidences of the word.

The incidences are placed in the order of the Books or Gospels in the NT while all of them supposedly refer to the supposedly ONLY historical occurrence of 'The Preparation'. You will find that all these incidences are usually or virtually always, referred to in commentaries, as 'The Preparation or Friday'. WHILE NOT ALL mention 'Friday' as "The Preparation". John 19:14 is the one incidence that does not refer to 'Friday' as "The Preparation".

For three main reasons why not:

1) The most obvious reason literally, the description by name-of-the-day differs. John 19:14 defines and limits "the Preparation Day" it speaks of by calling it "the Preparation-OF-THE-PASSOVER", Abib 14 "the FIRST day (of passover) when they KILLED the passover sacrifice" Mark 14:12 Matthew 26:17 Luke 22:7 in John 13:1 to verse 30 because of all the teachings placed within the span of That Day. Note that this day isn't called a 'preparation' day in the other Gospels.

2) The even more telling reason, its POSITION in historical chronological sequence or development. In other words, WHAT HAPPENED after it has been said that "It was The Preparation of the Passover 6 a.m. ...."? The Crucifixion proceeded and was done That Whole Selfsame Day! As in the other Gospels, until our Lord Jesus had died mid-afternoon its "ninth hour" That Selfsame Day of "twelve hours in the day".

3) The logical, that is, inevitable, resultant reason, The textual occurrence or place of the word "Preparation" or name rather, "Preparation-of-the-Passover". It is placed at the beginning of daylight on "the day before the Feast (Day)", "early" "six o'clock" its "morning" according to the other Gospels. Which was the beginning of the latter halve of it! It would end sunset after its "twelfth hour", yes?! Exactly! Just what we see. Jesus gave the ghost, died, mid-afternoon "the ninth hour" That Day, John 19:30. Nineteen verse thirty... So, what does one expect next?

Do you expect That Whole Selfsame Day to start all over again?! Madness, no! One would expect the day AFTER it to begin! To begin when? To begin as soon as the sun has set beginning the new day's "evening", that's when!

...aag, nonsense turkeys' gobblings...

Read John 19:31, please, just read it, please.

The stupid John, here he starts That Whole Selfsame Day over again! And the stupid other Gospel writers too... Mark in 15:42, Matthew in 27:57, and Luke .. well yes, too, in 23:50, because he too here tells of Joseph who arrived there and started undertaking to obtain the body of Jesus... of Jesus who was not even betrayed yet, not denied yet, not delivered over to be crucified yet That Selfsame Night yet! So does one THINK hey?

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It seems that this discussion is about when the Jewish Thursday evening was back when Christ was crucified.

The Jewish calendar has the day starting at sunset, so with respect to our present definition of a day, which arbitrarily start at the relative time of 12:00 am/midnight, our Wednesday evening, is the Jewish Thursday evening and was part of the day of preparation for the Passover meal on the Friday.

So as is recorded in another Gospel, Jesus arrived at Bethany on the Friday afternoon, around or just shortly after the time that the Sabbath day started, six days before the Passover feast was to occurred. The Passover feast occurred on the Friday that year, which is also considered to be a Sabbath Day within the Jewish culture.

It seems to me that this floundering thread is based on a mistaken assumption.

Shalom

We are seeing who is doing the floundering, not this thread, but some trying to do some of the threading.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So what...some people believe that the fruit that Eve ate of...was an apple!!

So what? He is a WCist by misappropriating Scripture, here, as follows, qoute, '~
Enoch111 said:
PASSOVER MORNING
And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King...
PASSOVER EVENING
And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath...And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
~'

'~And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath...And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
~'

'~And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.~'

...which, chapter and verse, looks like this,

'~Mark 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath...Luke 23:54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
Mark 14:12 FIRST DAY OF UNLEAVENED BREAD (John 19:31 A HIGH SABBATH)~'

Now that's what's called 'misappropriation of Scripture'; and that's how Wednesday crucifixionists are WCists.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Enoch111 said:
Exactly, the day after is a High Sabbath, from sundown to sundown, Why were the Priests about any business with Pilate during a High Sabbath! They would be Defied
Everything but 'exactly!' See e.g. post #23 for '~FIRST DAY OF UNLEAVENED BREAD (A HIGH SABBATH)~'.
If '~the day after~' was a '~High Sabbath, from sundown to sundown~', Why were the Priests about any business with Crucifying Jesus during a High Sabbath the day before? They would be Defied!

There was no day in between Abib 14 the Day of Sacrifice; and Abib 15 the FEAST-sabbath of eating and interment of "that which remained" of the sacrifice; or between the Feast-sabbath-high-day and the Day of Waving the First Sheaf "on the day after the sabbath .. because that day was great day sabbath of (passover)", ever in the Scriptures or in the history of Israel.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Everybody's trick is to dissolve the Whole Burial Day onto a few last minutes of Crucifixion Day to float like petrol set alight for a few flashes of vainglory of showbiz doctrine.

The best book I ever read was Jim Bishop's- "The Day Christ Died"
It goes through every hour and shows what Jesus suffered and how his body would have been responding to it...
I think you misjudge people...I doubt anyone believes that it was quick and cost the nothing.

But, as I have said before...every time this subject is discussed ...which is often....of how many days or which days etc etc

The when, and the hour, and the day is not important...if it was so, GOD would have made it plainer than it is.

It does NOT impact man's salvation one iota. ( Except for those who believe in the importance of worshiping on the "right" day. Which to me, is a false doctrine. CHRIST IS our Sabbath. 24/7 not just one day a week.
But they worship the Sabbath day idol )

Reactions: Philip James

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because I had trouble understanding the what was meant by the following words: -

It was all as meaningless as a when a turkey is gobbling. The quoted portion of your OP needs explaining in simpler terms so that us poor readers can understand the point of the question otherwise it is a pointless collection of words. You may know what you are talking about, but us poor plebs, like me, cannot get our laughing matter around it. Know what I mean?

Lol...leave it to man to complicate the simple message that is the Gospel, smh. Shake the dust off your feet and just move on Jay...you will get nowhere with this person as they think they already KNOW IT ALL! Ya know, kinda like the pharisees :confused:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So Enoch111 believes a Wednesday crucifixion.
That is the only way to ensure that the prophecy of three days and three nights was fulfilled. Also since Christ fulfilled the Feast of Firstfruits in His resurrection, He was resurrected on the first day of the week.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The best book I ever read was Jim Bishop's- "The Day Christ Died"
It goes through every hour and shows what Jesus suffered and how his body would have been responding to it...
I think you misjudge people...I doubt anyone believes that it was quick and cost the nothing.

But, as I have said before...every time this subject is discussed ...which is often....of how many days or which days etc etc

The when, and the hour, and the day is not important...if it was so, GOD would have made it plainer than it is.

It does NOT impact man's salvation one iota. ( Except for those who believe in the importance of worshiping on the "right" day. Which to me, is a false doctrine. CHRIST IS our Sabbath. 24/7 not just one day a week.
But they worship the Sabbath day idol )

I have nothing to do with how or what your judgement(s) or doubt(s) to you may mean or be. Or may mean or be to Christ. If '~CHRIST IS _your_ Sabbath 24/7~' Sabbath 24/7 IS your, CHRIST; not ours, please.

But I wonder, for what made GOD it so plain it cannot get plainer than it is, That He would rise from the dead .. mind you FROM THE DEAD, "the, third day"? I have no doubt in my heart or mind, that if anyone come and tell me, Christ rose from the dead on the fourth day for example, that either that man is a liar or Christ was a liar.
The bare fact this subject, of the when and the hour and the day that CHRIST ROSE FROM THE DEAD, is discussed so often, shows the importance which the Scriptures have in making it so plain, exposing its Truth and Worth in God's WORKING out our salvation, that God could not Himself have made it plainer than He did "by the Son, by (whom) God (in our own day) in these last days, (as) in times past, in many ways through the prophets, had spoken (had made it plain)... having thus concerning the Seventh Day spoken, GOD (on) the day The Seventh Day due to ALL, HIS, WORKS (FOREMOST HIS WORK OF OUR SALVATION), RESTED."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well again...I don't get the importance....sorry..

I just know, that I know, that I know...that Jesus Christ rose from the dead.
God says so, I believe it....nothing else worries me like it worries others.

Bless you....H

Reactions: Mayflower

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
That is the only way to ensure that the prophecy of three days and three nights was fulfilled. Also since Christ fulfilled the Feast of Firstfruits in His resurrection, He was resurrected on the first day of the week.

It's what people are familiar with, One) Why do you still 'keep the Sabbath'?; Two) It's easier alleged without than aligned within Scripture!

For seen aligned within Scripture, consult
https://www.christianityboard.com/threads/misfit-of-the-20th-century.26298/#post-421912#11#15