Missing Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People can follow your distortions of God's word it's their choice.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People can follow your distortions of God's word it's their choice.
So...can't actually give a biblical quote of where God put a stop to prophecy after all. Yep, all talk, all phony accusations, no substance. Go figure.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
First -I have no words of wisdom. The bible only is the source of Godly wisdom that we have been given. Apostle Paul said prophecy & tongues would cease. 2 Pet 2:1 Peter eludes to the transition that was made from prophets of old to the church's teachers. 2 Pet 2:1 " "1Now there were also false prophets among the people, JUST AS THERE WILL BE FALSE TEACHERS among you They will secretly introduce destructive heresies ......"
God's full revelation has been recorded for us, the canon is closed. Christ's Church has been established. The role of prophet transitioned to Pastor & teachers. It is only in the modern day that a certain denomination Pent/Charis has tried to replicate what was prior to the churches establishment.
I agree with Pastor John Macarthur & other well respected theologians & christian apologists are in agreement on this subject, and "gotquestions.org , carm.org, are unified on this question.
What is the spiritual gift of prophecy?
Question: "What is the spiritual gift of prophecy?"

Answer:
The spiritual gift of prophecy is listed among the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12:10 and Romans 12:6. The Greek word translated “prophesying” or “prophecy” in both passages properly means to “speak forth” or declare the divine will, to interpret the purposes of God, or to make known in any way the truth of God which is designed to influence people. Many people misunderstand the gift of prophecy to be the ability to predict the future. While knowing something about the future may sometimes have been an aspect of the gift of prophecy, it was primarily a gift of proclamation (“forth-telling”), not prediction (“fore-telling”).

A pastor/preacher who declares the Bible can be considered a “prophesier” in that he is speaking forth the counsel of God. With the completion of the New Testament canon, prophesying changed from declaring new revelation to declaring the completed revelation God has already given. Jude 3 speaks of “the faith which was once delivered unto the saints” (emphasis added). In other words, the faith to which we hold has been settled forever, and it does not need the addition or refinement that comes from extra-biblical revelations.

Also, note the transition from prophet to teacher in 2 Peter 2:1: “There were false prophets among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you” (emphasis added). Peter indicates that the Old Testament age had prophets, whereas the church will have teachers. The spiritual gift of prophecy, in the sense of receiving new revelations from God to be proclaimed to others, ceased with the completion of the Bible. During the time that prophecy was a revelatory gift, it was to be used for the edification, exhortation, and comfort of men (1 Corinthians 14:3). The modern gift of prophecy, which is really more akin to teaching, still declares the truth of God. What has changed is that the truth of God today has already been fully revealed in His Word, while, in the early church, it had not yet been fully revealed.

Christians are to be very wary of those who claim to have a “new” message from God. It is one thing to say, “I had an interesting dream last night.” However, it is quite another matter to say, “God gave me a dream last night, and you must obey it.” No utterance of man should be considered equal to or above the written Word. We must hold to the Word that God has already given and commit ourselves to sola scriptura—Scripture alone.

Recommended Resource: Are Miraculous Gifts for Today - Four Views edited by Wayne Grudem

I read your lifted reply from a source that also teaches heresies and misinformation.

How did I come to this conclusion? I spent time reading their answers to a number of proof question for me and noted that their answers where based on a doctrinal position held years ago which I now understand is flawed.

I also tried to check out the denominational bias and could not find a statement as to what that was.

If you had used the scriptures to show what you had come to believe on the subject of a prophet and the function of a prophet then I would have been more sympathetic to your position, but to use a site that has flawed theological foundations and understanding to justify your position means that the rest of your argument is hearsay and as such it can be ignored, unless you provide more substance to what you are claiming.

Shalom

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read your lifted reply from a source that also teaches heresies and misinformation.

How did I come to this conclusion? I spent time reading their answers to a number of proof question for me and noted that their answers where based on a doctrinal position held years ago which I now understand is flawed.

I also tried to check out the denominational bias and could not find a statement as to what that was.

If you had used the scriptures to show what you had come to believe on the subject of a prophet and the function of a prophet then I would have been more sympathetic to your position, but to use a site that has flawed theological foundations and understanding to justify your position means that the rest of your argument is hearsay and as such it can be ignored, unless you provide more substance to what you are claiming.

Shalom
My lifted response ? what "source" are you claiming? gotquestions.org is a legit Christian site.
I quoted Peter's scripture, I gave you my comments , referred to got questions and copied and pasted the link What is the spiritual gift of prophecy?. and referred to Pastor John MacArthur's gty.org
People who are involved in the Pentecostal & Charismatic heretical deception are in deep, and won't be convinced by any one.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone told me a while back that this site had a heavy bias for pentecostal/charismatic deception and I didn't realize it then, I do now.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Someone told me a while back that this site had a heavy bias for pentecostal/charismatic deception and I didn't realize it then, I do now.

First of all I am very wary of the various waves of the spirit that occur around the globe. I am often vary relucent to use the gifts of the spirit to speak over or to someone.

Every since there has been a charismatic movement from the 1970's, I have advised people to search out the scriptures to valid what they are being told and to seek out God as to how they should respond.

My tendance is to advise people to pray that God will continue to draw them into His loving embrace and that they Give only God the permission to do so.

Unless God leads me into giving a word of encouragement, a warning, a prophecy or what ever, I usually remain quite and let others act as they are lead.

I know that I speak from experience, some good and some bad, and I find that my baggage should not frame my judgements as to how God works within the environment that I live in.

Yes I agree with you that this site has wierdos that pollute this forum with their beliefs and dogmas and it seems that you to, are one of those also.

Shalom

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keep your shalom, Jay. It is phony, glad I never met you before I became a Christian, your insults would have turned me away from it

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Real prophets. Sorry!
those who had the the Word, who is Jesus in them, supportive scripture, 1 Peter 1:10 "Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1 Peter 1:11 "Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow".

here the Spirit of Christ was in them, them prophets. who is the Holy Ghost

PICJAG.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Show in the scriptures where God has put an end to prophecy. Not that He will someday, but that He has on a particular day lalready. Let's here it!
It seems to me that many people are all too ready to dismiss the work of the Holy Spirit in today's church.

Reactions: faithfulness

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Keep your shalom, Jay. It is phony, glad I never met you before I became a Christian, your insults would have turned me away from it

Suffering insults and being told that you are a phony is the lot of a righteous person or a prophet. Read the scriptures to see how they were treated during the timespan that the scriptures cover.

Oh bye the way, are we not waiting for the appearance of the two witnesses who will be prophets during their time of witnessing.

It seems to me that the role of a prophet is not yet finished

Shalom

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Suffering insults and being told that you are a phony is the lot of a righteous person or a prophet. Read the scriptures to see how they were treated during the timespan that the scriptures cover.
Oh bye the way, are we not waiting for the appearance of the two witnesses who will be prophets during their time of witnessing.
It seems to me that the role of a prophet is not yet finished

Shalom
So because you insult me and I call you on it , you think that means you are holy? beyond nonsense. Your insults and hypocrisy is what make a non-Christians think that represents Christianity. I believe you belong to a false church with a counterfeit spirit. MacArthur was right it's a strange fire, with bad fruit.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That which appears in the New Testament . . .

Hebrews 1 (KJV)
5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

Does not appear in the Old Testament . . .

Deuteronomy 32 (KJV)
42 I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.
43 Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people.

. . . except in the Septuagint.

Deuteronomy 32 (LXX)
42 I will make my weapons drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh, with the blood of the wounded, and from the captivity of the heads of enemies that rule over them.
43 Rejoice, ye heavens, with him, and let all the angels of God worship him; rejoice ye Gentiles, with his people, and let all the sons of God strengthen themselves in him; for he will avenge the blood of his sons, and he will render vengeance, and recompense justice to his enemies, and will reward them that hate him; and the Lord shall purge the land of his people.

Any particulary reason?

Much love!
I don't think it's necessary for NT writers to quote verbatim the OT writings - especially given the fact that the Hebrews were intimately acquainted with the OT.

It's like when we refer to the "First Amendment" - no one quotes it verbatim when referencing it; usually we just reference the part that pertains to whatever we're discussing at the time. Right now, Free Speech is the subject of much debate, thanks to godless, demonic Leftists who have made Big Fed their god, so when the Amendment is brought up, hardly anyone mentions "right to peaceable assembly" or "right to petition for redress" in those discussions.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So because you insult me and I call you on it , you think that means you are holy? beyond nonsense. Your insults and hypocrisy is what make a non-Christians think that represents Christianity. I believe you belong to a false church with a counterfeit spirit. MacArthur was right it's a strange fire, with bad fruit.

I see that you have reverted to your usual level of debating. If you had read my post carefully you would have read that "Suffering insults and being called a phony was the lot of a righteous person or a prophet." Now, did my post claim that I was a righteous person? No, it did not. I also suggested that the scriptures also points out that this is the lot of righteous people during the timespan of its writings. In other words my post was not personal and about my suffering. It was a generalisation of the abuse and the insults and the killing that is suffered by righteous people and God's prophets during their respective lives.

It seems to me that you have exhausted your tricks/methodology of debating honestly. So have a very good day and may the Lord continue to keep drawing you into His Loving Embrace.

Shalom.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see that you have reverted to your usual level of debating. If you had read my post carefully you would have read that "Suffering insults and being called a phony was the lot of a righteous person or a prophet." Now, did my post claim that I was a righteous person? No, it did not. I also suggested that the scriptures also points out that this is the lot of righteous people during the timespan of its writings. In other words my post was not personal and about my suffering. It was a generalisation of the abuse and the insults and the killing that is suffered by righteous people and God's prophets during their respective lives.

It seems to me that you have exhausted your tricks/methodology of debating honestly. So have a very good day and may the Lord continue to keep drawing you into His Loving Embrace.

Shalom.
bye
Have a nice life.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that many people are all too ready to dismiss the work of the Holy Spirit in today's church.
Yes, sadly most churches preach on how to "apply" biblical teachings to life in this world, rather than as the schoolmaster for teaching us heavenly things pertaining to the world to come.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, sadly most churches preach on how to "apply" biblical teachings to life in this world, rather than as the schoolmaster for teaching us heavenly things pertaining to the world to come.
Well as a matter of fact the biblical teachings are to teach Christians how to live in this world. In the world to come they will have been supernaturally perfected and glorified. So you are completely mistaken.

Reactions: Pearl

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well as a matter of fact the biblical teachings are to teach Christians how to live in this world. In the world to come they will have been supernaturally perfected and glorified. So you are completely mistaken.
No...the word of God and the world are for the revelation of Jesus Christ, the salvation of the world. The world is passing away, but His word does not.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No...the word of God and the world are for the revelation of Jesus Christ, the salvation of the world. The world is passing away, but His word does not.

Amen , nail on the head... very true..
... all the way from Gen - Rev.... the revelation of Jesus Christ, The Father Heart Of God.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God in Genesis.12:1 asked Abraham to go on a walk/journey with Him towards a righteous earth that He would show Him. This righteous earth is also known as the Kingdom of God.

For Christians today, who have been grafted into the vine, we too have to go on the same walk with God as He shows us the righteous world that He intended all of Mankind to live in but through the fall of the first Adam became corrupted, and embrace the redemption that is on offer for all of us.

Shalom

Reactions: ScottA and Helen