Modern Prophets

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I'm sorry, but that was a bit of an idle defense. You didn't justify your position, nor the grounds for God's approval. Now, of course, like you said, you do not owe me or anyone else an explanation, but it would be rather revealing and possibly useful, if you did offer as to why you feel Clement is inspired, whereas someone like Copeland or Hinn, for example, are not? That is, how do you discern God's Spirit from a false spirit?
...you're not going to say the transpiration of the prophecy, are you? His were too vague and generic, to even make a viable comparison to actual events.
You sound like the Pharisees and Saduccees who were constantly presenting questions to Jesus but their motive was to catch Him speaking blasphemy....Jesus knew this and would question them in return....
So with your knowledge of how a prophet should speak then please share with the rest of us exactly how they speak.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
95% of the prophets messages were pleadings for God's people to repent and return back from their backsliding. Apart from Daniel and Revelation, there vast majority of futuristic type prophecy were warnings it what would take place if they did repent... Or didn't. The vastt majority of those prophecies being conditional on Iseals response to the call. Mostly Israel's response was not favorable... Hence the warnings of invasion destruction and or captivity came to pass. But they needn't.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
95% of the prophets messages were pleadings for God's people to repent and return back from their backsliding. Apart from Daniel and Revelation, there vast majority of futuristic type prophecy were warnings it what would take place if they did repent... Or didn't. The vastt majority of those prophecies being conditional on Iseals response to the call. Mostly Israel's response was not favorable... Hence the warnings of invasion destruction and or captivity came to pass. But they needn't.
Don't forget about Jesus' prophesies....:)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (Rev 22:18)
That's not what you said....you said the Bible says not to look for additional prophesies or prophets. You have added to this scripture if this is the one you are referring to.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (Rev 22:18)
That’s Referring to the book of Revelation.

Not all of God’s speaking to man. That does not change, because God doesn’t change.

R

Rita

I have been thinking about this verse on and off for a few days, it came up on another thread.
I do believe it is talking about the scroll of revelation regarding ‘ the last days ‘ which I believe started 2000 years ago.......however it is still speaking a certain truth about prophecy. The last days will unfold as has been predicted so, in some respects there is nothing that should be added to the last days, or taken away.

So, maybe we are missing a point, the motive behind insights that are given and conveyed. The Lord has laid upon my heart many things over the years, through pictures, words- and in my own personal life, prophecy - to encourage, to give understanding of what is going on. Sometimes the words have been personal or to convey to a church I have been a part of - sometimes it’s collective to a group of people .......not to change what will unfold , not to alter what has been already proclaimed, but to give an encourage and understanding of what The Lord is doing, and sometimes that may mean encouraging his people to draw near.
Prophecy in scripture was often given to get the people’s attention because they were not seeking him.....sometimes they didn’t listen to those words and faced the consequences. Revelation ( the scroll ) is vague - we can second guess what all of it means, we can debate, argue , presume, but the bottom line is we do not know the details for sure - ‘ WE ‘ should not add or take away ... but it says ‘ any man ‘ that doesn’t mean that The Lord is limited in what He communicates about it all ‘ this is why we need to test everything, if it is coming from The Holy Spirit then the person conveying the message is speaking on behalf of the Lord, if it is just coming from the person themselves, then they are adding to the word and will face the consequences.
not sure whether this should have been on here or the other thread as they are both taking the same path at the moment.
Rita

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You can't have it both ways. If you believe there are modern prophets out there (other than Joseph Smith, Ellen G. White, William Branham*, etc. whom most Christians will not accept since they also introduced false teachings) it is up to you to present their prophecies. Otherwise you should accept what Paul said in 1 Cor 13:8. Christians should not be afraid to be called Cessationists, since Paul said that three spiritual gifts would cease, and cease they did.

Several people have also critiqued Kim Clement and called him a false prophet. I don't know enough about him, but in general I do not believe there are genuine prophets today.

Prophecy is divine revelation, and according to the apostle-prophet John, prophecies would cease after he finished writing the Revelation: For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (Rev 22:18)

What was John saying? Any additional prophecies after 95 AD would be unacceptable to God. And as a matter of fact, none of the Early Church Fathers ever claimed to be either an apostle or a prophet.

*Note, William Branham either invented the Serpent Seed doctrine, or promoted this false doctrine, which claims that the Devil had sexual intercourse with Eve and produced Cain. Here is what he said, while contradicting the Bible: Before Adam ever had carnal knowledge of Eve, the serpent had that knowledge ahead of him. And that one born of it was Cain. Cain was of (born of, begotten of) that “Wicked One,” (I John 3:12)

However, this is what we read in Scripture: And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD. (Gen 4:1) [Note" "knew" is a biblical euphemism for sexual intercourse]

So the Bible tells us that the first child of Adam and Eve was Cain, and that Eve recognized that she had received this son from the LORD. Indeed the name "Cain" (Hebrew Qayin) means "possession" or that which is acquired, hence "I have gotten". So what 1 John 3:12 means is that Cain had the character and attributes of Satan, who was also a murderer from the beginning.

What are the three gifts that have passed away?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay so everyone has made an argument about who are the true " modern prophets", now who are all the false ones?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You sound like the Pharisees and Saduccees who were constantly presenting questions to Jesus but their motive was to catch Him speaking blasphemy....Jesus knew this and would question them in return....
So with your knowledge of how a prophet should speak then please share with the rest of us exactly how they speak.
I would think with precision and wisdom. Not clichés, nor predictable or repetitive expressions like; 'God will bless the nation', God's wrath is about to be revealed', 'The time has come for God to take charge', 'the moment of truth is at hand', ...

As Samuel did when he spoke to Heli of the death of his sons. As the man of god did in regard to the altar at Bethel. As Elijah predicted the drought and Ahab & Jezebel's death with precision. Like the OT prophets who predicted the specific and imminent destruction of Israel's united Monarchy, and subsequent captivities. As they did when they spoke of the fate of certain kings. As Agabus did during the time of Paul's missionary journeys, as Jesus did in regard to the detailed destruction of the temple, and the scattering of his disciples.

I would expect that if a prophecy is from God it would resemble this type of both detailed, accurate and applicable warnings, that reveal God's sovereignty and His wisdom, and His desire to warn people with prophecies that they can understand and act upon.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 11:33-39 KJV
Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, [34] Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. [35] Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: [36] And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: [37] They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; [38] (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. [39] And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

Thought I'd list some of the attributes of Gods holy prophets. Just to see if our alleged modern prophets line up?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 11:23-28 KJV
Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. [24] Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. [25] Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; [26] In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; [27] In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. [28] Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.

A few more for those who still don't get the picture.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When John wrote the book of revelation he was around 90 a prisoner in the isle of Patmos doing hard labor. A rock quarry.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would think with precision and wisdom. Not clichés, nor predictable or repetitive expressions like; 'God will bless the nation', God's wrath is about to be revealed', 'The time has come for God to take charge', 'the moment of truth is at hand', ...

As Samuel did when he spoke to Heli of the death of his sons. As the man of god did in regard to the altar at Bethel. As Elijah predicted the drought and Ahab & Jezebel's death with precision. Like the OT prophets who predicted the specific and imminent destruction of Israel's united Monarchy, and subsequent captivities. As they did when they spoke of the fate of certain kings. As Agabus did during the time of Paul's missionary journeys, as Jesus did in regard to the detailed destruction of the temple, and the scattering of his disciples.

I would expect that if a prophecy is from God it would resemble this type of both detailed, accurate and applicable warnings, that reveal God's sovereignty and His wisdom, and His desire to warn people with prophecies that they can understand and act upon.
You forgot He's gonna pour out the Holy Spirit and give us millions.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the devil will use anyone with a semblance of error... He can also work "miracles.'.
Rather, God can use anyone.

The devil will not push folks toward God.

A house divided cannot stand, right?

Since nobody is perfect, God uses imperfect folks. Unless you know a perfect person to share with us.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many prophets of today have been taught by the Holy Spirit because there are hardly any churches to mentor them while they are young in their gifts and callings....but there are churches beginning to rise up and teach and train the sheep to operate in their gifts.
Yes, the Prophets today should be celebrated.

If they get it wrong, they just need to correct it and folks need to let it go.

It is trial and error for them anyway.