Multitudes in Christendom deluded.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
In the New Testament the salvation of God is presented under three tenses: past, present, and future. As a work “begun” (Phil. 1:6), but not completed in a moment of time: “Who hath saved us” (2
Tim. 1:9), “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Phil. 2:12), “now is our salvation
nearer than when we believed” (Rom. 13:11). These verses do not refer to three different salvations,
but to three distinct phases and stages of salvation: salvation as an accomplished fact, as a present
process, and as a future prospect. First, God saves from the pleasure of sin, causing the heart to
loathe what it formerly loved. That which is displeasing to God is made bitter to the soul, and sin
becomes its greatest grief and burden. Next, faith is communicated by the Spirit and the penitent
sinner is enabled to believe the Gospel, and thereby he is saved from the penalty of sin. Then it is he
enters upon the Christian life, wherein he is called upon to “fight the good fight of faith,” for there are
enemies both within and without which seek to bring about his destruct ion.
For that “fight” God has provided adequate armour (Eph. 6:11), which the Christian is bidden to
take unto himself. For that fight he is furnished with effective weapons, but these he must make good
use of. For that fight spiritual strength is available (2 Tim. 2:1), yet it has to be diligently and trustfully
sought. It is in this fight, a lifelong process, a conflict in which no furloughs are granted, the Christian
is being saved from the power of sin. In it he receives many wounds, but he betakes himself to the
great Physician for healing. In it he is often cast down, but by grace he is enabled to rise again.
Finally, he shall be saved from the presence of sin, for at death the believer is forever rid of his evil
nature.
Now it is that third aspect of salvation which concerns us in this present series of articles,
namely, the believer’s perseverance: his perseverance in the fight of faith. The doctrine which is to be
before us relates to the Christian’s being saved from the power of indwelling sin during the interval
which elapses between his being saved from its penalty and the moment when he will be saved from
its presence. Between his being saved from Hell and his actual entrance into Heaven he needs
saving from himself-saving from this evil world in which he is still left-saving from Satan who as a
roaring lion goes about seeking whom he may devour. The journey from Egypt to Canaan lies not for
the most part through green pastures and by the still waters but across an arid desert with all its trials
and tests, and few who left that House of Bondage reached the Land of milk and honey. The great
majority fell in the wilderness through their unbelief-types of numerous professors who begin well but
fail to endure unto the end.
There are multitudes in Christendom today deluded with the idea that a mere historical faith in the
Gospel ensures their reaching Heaven-who verily suppose they have “received Christ as their
personal Saviour” simply because they believe that He died on the Cross as an atoning sacrifice for
the sins of all those who repudiate their own righteousness and trust in Him. They imagine that under
the influence of religious emotion and the pressing appeals of an evangelist who assures them that
“John 3:16 means what it says,” all is now well with them-that having obtained a ticket for Glory they
may, like passengers on a train, relax and go to sleep-confident that in due time they shall arrive at
their desired destination. By such deceptions Satan chloroforms myriads into Hell. So widespread is
this deadly delusion that one who undertakes to expose its sophistry is certain to be regarded by
many as a heretic.
The Christian life commences amid the throes of the new birth, under acute travail of soul. When
the Spirit of God begins His work in the heart, conscience is convicted, the terrors of the Law are felt,
the wrath of a sin-hating God becomes real. As the requirements of Divine holiness begin to be
apprehended the soul, so long accustomed to having its own way, “kicks against the pricks,” and only
in the day of God’s power is it “made willing” (Psa. 110:3) to take the yoke of Christ upon it. And then
it is that the young believer, conscious of the plague of his own heart, fearful of his own weakness
and instability, aware of the enmity of the Devil against him, anxiously cries out, How shall I be able to keep from drowning in such a world as this? what provision has God made that I shall not perish on
my way to everlasting bliss? The Lord has done great things for me, whereof I am glad; but unless He
continues to exert His sovereign power on my behalf, I shall be lost!

Well said

blessings
J.

Attachments

• Spurgeon Quotes (2).png
    Spurgeon Quotes (2).png
    485 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In the New Testament the salvation of God is presented under three tenses: past, present, and future. As a work “begun” (Phil. 1:6), but not completed in a moment of time: “Who hath saved us” (2
Tim. 1:9), “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Phil. 2:12), “now is our salvation
nearer than when we believed” (Rom. 13:11). These verses do not refer to three different salvations,
but to three distinct phases and stages of salvation: salvation as an accomplished fact, as a present
process, and as a future prospect. First, God saves from the pleasure of sin, causing the heart to
loathe what it formerly loved. That which is displeasing to God is made bitter to the soul, and sin
becomes its greatest grief and burden. Next, faith is communicated by the Spirit and the penitent
sinner is enabled to believe the Gospel, and thereby he is saved from the penalty of sin. Then it is he
enters upon the Christian life, wherein he is called upon to “fight the good fight of faith,” for there are
For that “fight” God has provided adequate armour (Eph. 6:11), which the Christian is bidden to
take unto himself. For that fight he is furnished with effective weapons, but these he must make good
use of. For that fight spiritual strength is available (2 Tim. 2:1), yet it has to be diligently and trustfully
sought. It is in this fight, a lifelong process, a conflict in which no furloughs are granted, the Christian
is being saved from the power of sin. In it he receives many wounds, but he betakes himself to the
great Physician for healing. In it he is often cast down, but by grace he is enabled to rise again.
Finally, he shall be saved from the presence of sin, for at death the believer is forever rid of his evil
nature.
Now it is that third aspect of salvation which concerns us in this present series of articles,
namely, the believer’s perseverance: his perseverance in the fight of faith. The doctrine which is to be
before us relates to the Christian’s being saved from the power of indwelling sin during the interval
which elapses between his being saved from its penalty and the moment when he will be saved from
its presence. Between his being saved from Hell and his actual entrance into Heaven he needs
saving from himself-saving from this evil world in which he is still left-saving from Satan who as a
roaring lion goes about seeking whom he may devour. The journey from Egypt to Canaan lies not for
the most part through green pastures and by the still waters but across an arid desert with all its trials
and tests, and few who left that House of Bondage reached the Land of milk and honey. The great
majority fell in the wilderness through their unbelief-types of numerous professors who begin well but
There are multitudes in Christendom today deluded with the idea that a mere historical faith in the
Gospel ensures their reaching Heaven-who verily suppose they have “received Christ as their
personal Saviour” simply because they believe that He died on the Cross as an atoning sacrifice for
the sins of all those who repudiate their own righteousness and trust in Him. They imagine that under
the influence of religious emotion and the pressing appeals of an evangelist who assures them that
“John 3:16 means what it says,” all is now well with them-that having obtained a ticket for Glory they
may, like passengers on a train, relax and go to sleep-confident that in due time they shall arrive at
their desired destination. By such deceptions Satan chloroforms myriads into Hell. So widespread is
this deadly delusion that one who undertakes to expose its sophistry is certain to be regarded by
many as a heretic.
The Christian life commences amid the throes of the new birth, under acute travail of soul. When
the Spirit of God begins His work in the heart, conscience is convicted, the terrors of the Law are felt,
the wrath of a sin-hating God becomes real. As the requirements of Divine holiness begin to be
apprehended the soul, so long accustomed to having its own way, “kicks against the pricks,” and only
in the day of God’s power is it “made willing” (Psa. 110:3) to take the yoke of Christ upon it. And then
it is that the young believer, conscious of the plague of his own heart, fearful of his own weakness
and instability, aware of the enmity of the Devil against him, anxiously cries out, How shall I be able to keep from drowning in such a world as this? what provision has God made that I shall not perish on
my way to everlasting bliss? The Lord has done great things for me, whereof I am glad; but unless He

Well said

blessings
J.
I don't see that 'saved today, lost tomorrow' is Scriptural.

But that great verse quoted in Philippians 1.6 shows that a work of faith begun by God in the heart, is something that continues, even as we are enabled to lean on the finished work of Christ; John 19.30; Hebrews chapters 9 and 10.

Reactions: APAK

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

But that great verse quoted in Philippians 1.6 shows that a work of faith begun by God in the heart, is something that continues, even as we are enabled to lean on the finished work of Christ; John 19.30; Hebrews chapters 9 and 10.
I fully concur Farouk

2Co_1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
Eph_1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

1Jn_5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Joh 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Guess Spurgeon could also make mistakes, we are all fallible

Once sealed, no one can be unsealed, it is a covenant.
Blessings
J.
That is why I love this forum since we can all learn from each other.

Reactions: APAK

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nature.
many as a heretic.

Well said

blessings
J.
Yes, Satan leads many astray:

Now the serpent was more subtle than any other wild creature that the LORD God had made. Genesis 3:1a RSV

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes, Satan leads many astray:

Now the serpent was more subtle than any other wild creature that the LORD God had made. Genesis 3:1a RSV
So old Spurgeon led many astray you reckon
Interesting
You understand the scriptures you are posting?
Blessings well-known member
J.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So old Spurgeon led many astray you reckon
Interesting
You understand the scriptures you are posting?
Blessings well-known member
J.
I understand that Satan is very subtle, and so many believe the lies he perpetuates through those who are deceived by him.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Where are you copying and pasting your OP's from?

And why did you congratulate yourself with:
Friend, for starters, I am not here for "likes" and "trophies"for my reward is reserved for me in Heaven
Secondly I I don't have to answer you as to my sources.
Most of my sources is from the Reformers and Puritans, would you be interested?
Am I congratulating myself?
Pro_13:16 Every prudent man worketh with knowledge: but a fool spreadeth out folly.
Pro_15:14 The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on folly.
Are you yet dead in Christ? That is, IF you are in Christ...
Advice

Eyes on the Lord Jesus Christ, not on me.
1Co_3:10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building
upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it.

1Co 12:4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit;
1Co 12:5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord;
1Co 12:6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone.
1Co 12:7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,
1Co 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
1Co 12:11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.

1Co 12:12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.
1Co 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
1Co 12:14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many.
1Co 12:15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body.
1Co 12:16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body.
1Co 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell?
1Co 12:18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose.
1Co 12:19 If all were a single member, where would the body be?
1Co 12:20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.
1Co 12:21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.”
1Co 12:22 On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable,
1Co 12:23 and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty,
1Co 12:24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it,
1Co 12:25 that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another.
1Co 12:26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.
1Co 12:27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.
1Co 12:28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
1Co 12:30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
1Co 12:31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

2Pe_1:10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

Eph_4:1 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called,

Lastly
1Jn 2:4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him
Ever examined YOURSELF in the light of the scriptures> How is it faring with your soul?
Blessings
J.

Attachments

• Guest Post – More on Moore by Tami Dykes.jpg
    Guest Post – More on Moore by Tami Dykes.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nature.
many as a heretic.

Well said

blessings
J.

I would even go a step further and say all of them sir.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's not. It assumes that God can't finish what He started and that the will of man is more powerful than Gods. If you can walk away from God, you never received Him.

" Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20

Let the tares depart, but God will keep His own. The saints persevere because it is God who perseveres in them and through them.

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Philippians 2:12-13

Reactions: farouk

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friend, for starters, I am not here for "likes" and "trophies"for my reward is reserved for me in Heaven
Secondly I I don't have to answer you as to my sources.
Most of my sources is from the Reformers and Puritans, would you be interested?
Am I congratulating myself?
Pro_13:16 Every prudent man worketh with knowledge: but a fool spreadeth out folly.
Pro_15:14 The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on folly.
Are you yet dead in Christ? That is, IF you are in Christ...
Advice

Eyes on the Lord Jesus Christ, not on me.
1Co_3:10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building
upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it.

1Co 12:4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit;
1Co 12:5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord;
1Co 12:6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone.
1Co 12:7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,
1Co 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
1Co 12:11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.

1Co 12:12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.
1Co 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
1Co 12:14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many.
1Co 12:15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body.
1Co 12:16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body.
1Co 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell?
1Co 12:18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose.
1Co 12:19 If all were a single member, where would the body be?
1Co 12:20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.
1Co 12:21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.”
1Co 12:22 On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable,
1Co 12:23 and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty,
1Co 12:24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it,
1Co 12:25 that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another.
1Co 12:26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.
1Co 12:27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.
1Co 12:28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
1Co 12:30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
1Co 12:31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

2Pe_1:10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

Eph_4:1 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called,

Lastly
1Jn 2:4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him
Ever examined YOURSELF in the light of the scriptures> How is it faring with your soul?
Blessings
J.
Your OP was obviously copied from somewhere because the line-spacing was all screwed up.

And you said "Well said" at the end of your own post? :confused:

A bit odd.

That's all.

Your reply was much ado about nothing.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Your OP was obviously copied from somewhere because the line-spacing was all screwed up.

A bit odd.

That's all.

What do you mean the line spacing was all screwed up? Can you take a pic and show it to me?
Thanks
J.
I have informed you that it was from Pink, not taking credit for anything
Blessings
I may know all the doctrines quote - Courageous Christian Father.jpg

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

A bit odd.

That's all.

Careful mate, there are lost people, disheartened souls in the world, why concentrate on me?
Don't complain here, complain somewhere else.
Blessings
J.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have informed you that it was from Pink, not taking credit for anything
Ok.

I don't know what Pink is, but that's all I was asking. It looked copied because the formatting was not lining up on the page like normal posts.

Well said.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:16 means what it says,” all is now well with them-that having obtained a ticket for Glory they
many as a heretic.

Well if by this you mean th epeople who think praying a prayer for salvation is a fire insurance policy they can pocket and go on their merry way- I agree.

But you are correct in the three stages of redemption, from the penalty, power and ultimately the presence of sin.

However once one has been born again, they shall never perish, that is the promise of God

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Well if by this you mean th epeople who think praying a prayer for salvation is a fire insurance policy they can pocket and go on their merry way- I agree.

But you are correct in the three stages of redemption, from the penalty, power and ultimately the presence of sin.

However once one has been born again, they shall never perish, that is the promise of God
No arguing with that however many may think they are born again but are not.
Blessings
J.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No arguing with that however many may think they are born again but are not.
Blessings
J.

This is true- As Jesus said in MAtt. 7-- "Many will come to me in that day ...". But let us not tryi to pick them out! That is up to God. We must hope for the best and only exhort if we see overt sin in a professed believers life.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
This is true- As Jesus said in MAtt. 7-- "Many will come to me in that day ...". But let us not tryi to pick them out! That is up to God. We must hope for the best and only exhort if we see overt sin in a professed believers life.
Lol!
Blessings
J.

“O child of God, be more careful to keep
the way of the Lord, more concentrated in
heart in seeking His glory, and you will see
the loving-kindness and the tender mercy
of the Lord in your life.”
― Charles H. Spurgeon

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nature.
many as a heretic.

Well said

blessings
J.
What seems to be missing there--because I skimmed a lot of the rambling, is that is often the case...though it need not be.

Since salvation is from God and of God and resides with God, what is missing in that most common drawn out struggle, is that with God there is no division of past, present, and future tense, but rather, He is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." Meaning, that if the matter is drawn out...it is the result of one not fully turning the matter over to God. That is not salvation--that is only a toe in the holy water, and a mere taste of the Holy Spirit.

The problem then...is one of unbelief. Meaning (conversely), if one believes with their whole heart that the are saved having given the matter of their eternal salvation over to God--then "today is the day of salvation."

And yes, it's forever.