Must a Christian Work to Keep Themself Sinless in Order to Keep Their Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Paul speaks about running the race to obtain the Prize, is he talking about the Prize of Salvation, or a prize which is a reward for deeds?

See 1 Cor. 9:24-27. "The prize" being here identified Is a "crown" and is not Salvation. A crown is a reward.

See Phil. 3:12-13 where Paul says he has "not obtained the prize." Is that supposed to mean he has not obtained Salvation? No. It means he has not obtained the reward for Godly service.

People constantly in error confuse Salvation with Discipleship. These people are known as Lordship preachers and Calvinists. We can pray for and help them.
The metaphor is about attitude or performance, not about the "prize" at the end. It's about zeal and faithfulness in the long run, as opposed to slothfulness and a "manana" attitude (if you're not familiar with the word, it's Spanish for "tomorrow.")
I'm not going to give any argument other that this explanation is consistent with that of Jesus Himself in His warning about that wicked servant.
"Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing. Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods. But if that evil servant says in his heart, "My master is delaying his coming," and begins to beat his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him and at an hour that he is not aware of, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Matthew 24:45-51

Last edited:

Jared42

Aug 16, 2021
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The metaphor is about attitude or performance, not about the "prize" at the end. It's about zeal and faithfulness in the long run, as opposed to slothfulness and a "manana" attitude (if you're not familiar with the word, it's Spanish for "tomorrow.")
I'm not going to give any argument other that this explanation is consistent with that of Jesus Himself in His warning about that wicked servant.
"Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing. Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods. But if that evil servant says in his heart, "My master is delaying his coming," and begins to beat his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him and at an hour that he is not aware of, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Matthew 24:45-51
"Find so doing" is indeed Jesus referring to performance, and is not referring to attitude. Learn to correctly speak and comprehend basic English, rather than giving patronizing hogwash.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Paul speaks about running the race to obtain the Prize, is he talking about the Prize of Salvation, or a prize which is a reward for deeds?

See 1 Cor. 9:24-27. "The prize" being here identified Is a "crown" and is not Salvation. A crown is a reward.

See Phil. 3:12-13 where Paul says he has "not obtained the prize." Is that supposed to mean he has not obtained Salvation? No. It means he has not obtained the reward for Godly service.

People constantly in error confuse Salvation with Discipleship. These people are known as Lordship preachers and Calvinists. We can pray for and help them.

Read 2 Peter 1:2-11 and see.

2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Fruitful Growth in the Faith
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Reactions: MatthewG

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was rejected in the womb...I was born with a speech impediment, A.D.D., and possible autism. I went through various types of abuse and neglect as a child. I was given Hep. C as a child by a legal adult. As well as a prescription for Quaalude. I inherited major depression and masonic generational curses. I sacrificed my college education in order to work to save my son from abortion. I injured my back at work. I got Lupus from work. Some use scripture to say God is scourging me, disciplining me, punishing me because I must have willful, hidden sin. At what point did He get angry at me?
There are purposes in the refiner's fire, but wrath and punishment are not them.
My point is, unless you have a firm grasp on the full council of scripture, and an intimate knowledge of another's life, how can you pass judgement on them?
Humility, mercy, and love would seem to be the order of the day here. We reap what we...and others, sow.
Who is arrogant, overfed, and unconcerned about the marginalized and weak in today's society?
What city was destroyed in the O.T. for the same sins? Looking at myself daily in the mirror of God's word is something I must do.
God usually points out my sin to me, not someone else's. Peace.

Jared42

Aug 16, 2021
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was rejected in the womb...I was born with a speech impediment, A.D.D., and possible autism. I went through various types of abuse and neglect as a child. I was given Hep. C as a child by a legal adult. As well as a prescription for Quaalude. I inherited major depression and masonic generational curses. I sacrificed my college education in order to work to save my son from abortion. I injured my back at work. I got Lupus from work. Some use scripture to say God is scourging me, disciplining me, punishing me because I must have willful, hidden sin. At what point did He get angry at me?
There are purposes in the refiner's fire, but wrath and punishment are not them.
My point is, unless you have a firm grasp on the full council of scripture, and an intimate knowledge of another's life, how can you pass judgement on them?
Humility, mercy, and love would seem to be the order of the day here. We reap what we...and others, sow.
Who is arrogant, overfed, and unconcerned about the marginalized and weak in today's society?
What city was destroyed in the O.T. for the same sins? Looking at myself daily in the mirror of God's word is something I must do.
God usually points out my sin to me, not someone else's. Peace.

Jared42

Aug 16, 2021
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot answer questions I am not accountable for. God had His own answers.

Aug 15, 2021
knoxville tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:4 Context

1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

This seems to be saying that of someone does not stop sinning after they are saved, then they are not saved and will go to hell. Could someone explain this to me? Its verses like this that really worry me. :(

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Keep yourself as sinless as you can." That is good advise.
The first step is to know what are real sins. So you do not step on a real sin trying to avoid fake sins. And so you do not wrongly condemn others of things that are not sins.

On the average we sin, we repent, we ask forgiveness and our sins are forgiven by Christ and forgotten.
The sins you have to worry about are life style sins....Sins you do not intend to stop. You cannot repeat of sins you intend to keep doing. Cannot get forgiven for them.

Jared42

Aug 16, 2021
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Keep yourself as sinless as you can." That is good advise.
The first step is to know what are real sins. So you do not step on a real sin trying to avoid fake sins. And so you do not wrongly condemn others of things that are not sins.

On the average we sin, we repent, we ask forgiveness and our sins are forgiven by Christ and forgotten.
The sins you have to worry about are life style sins....Sins you do not intend to stop. You cannot repeat of sins you intend to keep doing. Cannot get forgiven for them.
"Real Sins?" Show us the phrase "Real Sins" in Scripture. As well, show the word "Lifestyle."

People cannot stop sinning until they are broken before God's Holiness. That is the immediate realization of Isaiah as he fell before God in Isaiah 6.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Real Sins?" Show us the phrase "Real Sins" in Scripture. As well, show the word "Lifestyle."

People cannot stop sinning until they are broken before God's Holiness. That is the immediate realization of Isaiah as he fell before God in Isaiah 6.
They did not have to differentiate between between real sins and fakes...they only spoke the truth. Stick with the truth, not the commandments of man.

Jared42

Aug 16, 2021
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They did not have to differentiate between between real sins and fakes...they only spoke the truth. Stick with the truth, not the commandments of man.

You wrote, "The first thing to know what are real sins."

If they did not differentiate between real sins and fakes, why should we?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you only preach real sins?
Absolutely!
But you do not have to believe me, the Bible will tell you what real sins are.
There are some things we learned after the Bible...that slavery and polygamy are bad...wedding ceremonies are good...things like that. Christ prepared us for judging such things as looking at the fruits.