My Spouse Does Not Like To Hear This.....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What can I say, it's how I feel! Who else feels this way? Or ever Dreams of what the New Earth and Jerusalem will be like. Or am I crazy :)

Hey there...where you at? ;)

While you have been gone this thread has wiggled all over the place...sorry lol

Reactions: marks

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know that when that man Jesus told to follow Him, said "Let me bury my father first."... that he was not asking for an hour or two to stick his dead father in the ground. He was saying that he would be willing to follow Jesus ONLY after getting his inheritance once his father died. He was not willing to give up getting that money and property by running off to follow an itinerant preacher, and likely get himself disinherited.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you know that when that man Jesus told to follow Him, said "Let me bury my father first."... that he was not asking for an hour or two to stick his dead father in the ground. He was saying that he would be willing to follow Jesus ONLY after getting his inheritance once his father died. He was not willing to give up getting that money and property by running off to follow an itinerant preacher, and likely get himself disinherited.

Amen, you prodded an old memory...I do remember reading that...it makes those verses much more understandable.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, you prodded an old memory...I do remember reading that...it makes those verses much more understandable.
There are a slew of verses that we have never really understood, but instead of daring to risk being looked-down on by others.… we just say "Well God said it, so I believe it... even though I have no idea what I am believing."

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What can I say, it's how I feel! Who else feels this way? Or ever Dreams of what the New Earth and Jerusalem will be like. Or am I crazy?

I dream about being out of my earthly body (dead), as much as Paul probably did. Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not in mourning . I'm happily excited about this present Earth and the New one to come. To be physically dead is to be in Heaven with our Lord Jesus Christ, our Father, all the Saints who are already there and even Gabriel and the Angels! OHHH, How I fantasize about this all the time. Paul said, Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

But then again, as a human, as a Christian, I want to experience how great, how wide, how deep the love of Christ is/goes. Even more, I want to be one of the vessels that our Father uses to Glorify his son Jesus!

In Death however, I'd rather be a Martyr though when I do die! My greatest fear is in my older age being sent to "Willow Creek", a retirement home/ assisted living center, where there is a huge possibility some medical personnel will just let me lay in my "poop!" I see this all the time in my profession. It tears me up inside.

I'm so Jealous Of my Dad who passed away over a year ago. (I will say my mother doesn't like to hear me say this) He is at the Right hand of God, with Jesus!
What can I say, it's how I feel! Who else feels this way? Or ever Dreams of what the New Earth and Jerusalem will be like. Or am I crazy

I dream about being out of my earthly body (dead), as much as Paul probably did. Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not in mourning . I'm happily excited about this present Earth and the New one to come. To be physically dead is to be in Heaven with our Lord Jesus Christ, our Father, all the Saints who are already there and even Gabriel and the Angels! OHHH, How I fantasize about this all the time. Paul said, Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

But then again, as a human, as a Christian, I want to experience how great, how wide, how deep the love of Christ is/goes. Even more, I want to be one of the vessels that our Father uses to Glorify his son Jesus!

In Death however, I'd rather be a Martyr though when I do die! My greatest fear is in my older age being sent to "Willow Creek", a retirement home/ assisted living center, where there is a huge possibility some medical personnel will just let me lay in my "poop!" I see this all the time in my profession. It tears me up inside.

I'm so Jealous Of my Dad who passed away over a year ago. (I will say my mother doesn't like to hear me say this) He is at the Right hand of God, with Jesus!
Hello @jshii,

At 71 years I can empathise with your desire to avoid that 'Willow Creek' option. :)

I too, like Paul, want to be 'present' with my Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8; Philippians 1:23). However that, as Paul knew, required the Lord's return. That was His preferred choice, which was neither death nor life, but being in the presence of a returned Christ, which was what all believers looked for during the Acts period. Which required the repentance of Israel, in response to the words of God, through Peter in Acts 3:19-21.

'Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out,
when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
And He shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things,
which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.'

* Paul did not want to die, because that would mean that he would be 'unclothed' (2 Corinthians 5:4), having no body either terrestrial or celestial, his spirit having returned to God who gave it. No, He wanted the Lord to return, so that He, along with all who had like precious faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, may shed mortality and put on immortality, by receiving a resurrection body like that of His Lord, with the sure knowledge that He would not be parted from Him ever again, either by life or death. (Philippians 1:18-30).

* When I die, I know that my body will go back to the dust from whence it came, and my spirit will go back to God who gave it, and I, by God's reckoning, mercifully, will be 'asleep in Christ' (1 Corinthians 15:18) until that day of God's choosing when I will be resurrected to life eternal. I will be in an 'unclothed' state until then, along with Paul and all the 'saints' who have gone before me. Resurrection is our hope, the unbeliever does not have this hope of life, only an expectation of judgement.

Praise His Holy Name!

With love in Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: jshiii and Helen

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What can I say, it's how I feel! Who else feels this way? Or ever Dreams of what the New Earth and Jerusalem will be like. Or am I crazy :)

I dream about being out of my earthly body (dead), as much as Paul probably did. Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not in mourning ;). I'm happily excited about this present Earth and the New one to come. To be physically dead is to be in Heaven with our Lord Jesus Christ, our Father, all the Saints who are already there and even Gabriel and the Angels! OHHH, How I fantasize about this all the time. Paul said, Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Some people may not agree with this, but I plan to be euthanized before being sent to a nursing home to lay in "waste." I saw my Mother-in-law left unmedicated as she struggled for every breath. I saw old old people half-laying in wheelchairs, the light of life long gone from their eyes. After that I wrote a letter to the newspaper that they should pass right to die legislation.

I read where those such as James Dobson opposes this: you must remain in your earthly body even though racked with pain, laying in your own waste, no hope of ever seeing the outdoors again, smelling nothing but the pervasive urine throughout the halls and rooms. That to me is sick thinking. With all due respect to Dobson, he's not the Lord's mouthpiece and sometimes I think these pastors think they are.

When life ahead looks bad and nothing but pain and endless days spent hanging half out of a wheelchair are your lot, I don't see any reason to remain in this world. I don't think it glorifies God, and I don't think it helps the families. Some may think it would show a weakness to your family - I think it shows strength.

My friend had to care for her mother into her 90's - often changing her diaper. My friend and her mother didn't have the money for a nursing home. I don't ever want my family to be saddled with that.

That said - I think we all have a work to do here and we should remain as long as we can to do the work God gave us to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: jshiii and Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is seldom that I read much but conspiratorial nonsense or outright paranoia from SG. But, this time her post has a rare ring of common sense.

Reactions: Helen

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Some people may not agree with this, but I plan to be euthanized before being sent to a nursing home to lay in "waste." I saw my Mother-in-law left unmedicated as she struggled for every breath. I saw old old people half-laying in wheelchairs, the light of life long gone from their eyes. After that I wrote a letter to the newspaper that they should pass right to die legislation.

I read where those such as James Dobson opposes this: you must remain in your earthly body even though racked with pain, laying in your own waste, no hope of ever seeing the outdoors again, smelling nothing but the pervasive urine throughout the halls and rooms. That to me is sick thinking. With all due respect to Dobson, he's not the Lord's mouthpiece and sometimes I think these pastors think they are.

When life ahead looks bad and nothing but pain and endless days spent hanging half out of a wheelchair are your lot, I don't see any reason to remain in this world. I don't think it glorifies God, and I don't think it helps the families. Some may think it would show a weakness to your family - I think it shows strength.

My friend had to care for her mother into her 90's - often changing her diaper. My friend and her mother didn't have the money for a nursing home. I don't ever want my family to be saddled with that.

That said - I think we all have a work to do here and we should remain as long as we can to do the work God gave us to do.
Hello @Soverign Grace,

I can sympathise with the thoughts you express here. However, we keep people alive with medication, who otherwise would not have lived to the age they have.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Butterfly and Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Soverign Grace,

I can sympathise with the thoughts you express here. However, we keep people alive with medication, who otherwise would not have lived to the age they have.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
"She was fairly happy up until she was 77... but, By God!, we kept her sitting here in that wheelchair till she was 93. In a vegetated state, to be sure, but we forced 16 more years on her." (Oh, we are so proud of ourselves!)
We don't even inflict that kind of abuse on our pets.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"She was fairly happy up until she was 77... but, By God!, we kept her sitting here in that wheelchair till she was 93. In a vegetated state, to be sure, but we forced 16 more years on her." (Oh, we are so proud of ourselves!)
We don't even inflict that kind of abuse on our pets.
Hi @Willie T,

I don't know how to answer that. Just as I have no answer for that of Sovereign Grace. o_O

I take Levothyroxine for an under-active thyroid, if I stopped taking that I would probably not have to concern myself about ending up in an old people's home, for I would pop-my-clogs quite naturally in the not too distant future. However who wants the affects that would bring with it?! So, I will leave my end in God's hands.

To take someone's life, or to assist in the taking of a life is against the law of the land, so I will not be doing that. Pride doesn't come into it. :) If I were an Eskimo I would have been put out on the ice. Perhaps I should change my nationality?! o_O

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Some of us may secretly 'think' this...but you are brave for saying it out loud. :)

Some people will have a problem with it for sure.
As @charity has already said..many of us 'not quite that old'... like me...are already kept alive by meds...I take heart meds, blood pressure meds and Im on blood thinners to ward off strokes.
So, in other words..."we" ourselves have already chosen to not go the 'natural way'...but have our life in our own hands , and are prolonging life.

All this is a very grey area.

Bless you...H

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of us may secretly 'think' this...but you are brave for saying it out loud. :)

As @charity has already said..many of us 'not quite that old'... like me...are already kept alive by meds...I take heart meds, blood pressure meds and Im on blood thinners to ward off strokes.
So, in other words..."we" ourselves have already chosen to not go the 'natural way'...but have our life in our own hands , and are prolonging life.

Bless you...H

Yes, it is definitely a huge grey area...God has given us a certain amount of years down here yet, do we as humans who depend on doctors to live and their drugs stay Gods hand? Tough one. Then, we have all the suffering that could be helped by all that "pharmakeia". But then, this word also has the definition of witchcraft. magic, the use of spells and potions used for mind alteration. So, we cannot really attribute the meds. given today for the relief of suffering the same meaning...so many grey areas!

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey there...where you at? ;)

While you have been gone this thread has wiggled all over the place...sorry lol

I have been slowing Heart Rates from 200 to 100/min by pushing Adenosine (flatline, stopping the heart is good sometimes)). I have been doing chest compressions. I have been distributing refreshments and narcotics (RN) and a few times getting cursed out. Other than all that, It's been a pretty good weekend...no one died under my watch. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Pearl

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a refreshments and narcotic distributor (RN), I know the easy ways out, very painless! However, everytime I think of Jesus Christ being flogged, wearing those thorns, carrying that cross, having those nails in his hands and feet, hanging on the cross, spear in the side, thirsting to death....what could possibly be so bad with laying in your poop? (It might itch though) :(

Last edited:
B

Butterfly

Euthanasia is a difficult one - If I knew I had demencia I would not want to inflict that illness on my children, I would desire to be released , but not sure I would want my children to go through the pain of me choosing to end my life ( dans illness makes you face that grief and possibility head on )
Withdrawing medication, that can be so difficult too as it can cause a long and painful death. Many of out residents refuse meds, food and water, and yet they still suffer.
I honestly don't know if I agree with it or not- working with the elderly makes you tap into your compassion, patience and care - I don't believe any of their lives are without purpose - even when they appear not to be there xx
Rita

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Soverign Grace,

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Yes but is keeping people alive with medication always the best course to follow? I was just reading about the life of John Wayne, and his body was so racked with pain from cancer that had metastasized that he begged his sons for a gun. Is that intense suffering so that one begs for death really what God requires? It took me many many years to come to my beliefs and how God fits with it all. I'm highly sensitive and I cannot bear to see a human or animal suffer. I was in the hospital to visit someone one time and this poor man was laying in bed, the worst moans coming from him - we humans instinctively sense when another is in severe pain and he was. I didn't know the man but got the nurse and asked her to help him - she completely shut me down and dismissed me and walked away. The same thing happened with my mother-in-law. She lay in the bed in agony and I got the nurse and told her to medicate her. You would have thought I just asked her to tea. She smiled sweetly and said that her medication would be there at 8:00 pm that evening. I was incredulous that they were going to leave her in that painful state all day.

When I walked into the home, the stench of urine and feces was so bad I pulled my sweater up over my nose. I asked the nurse how they could stand it and suggested an air cleaner. Just breathing in those noxious odors would be torturous. The old people were so sad. I remember one man slumped over in a wheelchair, his tongue lolling out of his mouth, looking half-dead. We walked past one after another of half-dead people and it was not a place of hope, it was a place of despair. There was nothing redeeming there - no bright sunshine flooding in, no music, no laughing, - it was truly a place unsuited for habitation.

I spoke with a friend whose mother was languishing in a nursing home and she said that her mother was unhappy and said "We're living too long." I wondered about her mother's words. Were we really meant to live into our 80's and 90's with the aid of medication that keeps the heart ticking but the desire to go on is long since gone? I don't know the answer to that - it was just something interesting that was told to me. I visited an older friend in the hospital - now deceased - and she was very unhappy. It hurt me so much to see her that way - a once tough cookie, proud, independent - she sat in her room, broken, telling us that the nursing home was like high school - she sat at one table and was chastised because someone in the clique sat there. She said "if feel like I've been put on a shelf to die." Still another fiercely independent friend's cancer came back. Her husband had died and her sons were terrible to her. We had long talks and she told me she'd never go into a nursing home. She called me upset one day that she couldn't afford her $1k a pill cancer treatment. Being naive I told her to look online for help. A mutual friend came over about a week later to tell me she died. I knew she did it herself. My cousin did the same. So I've seen both sides of this.

What people may not realize is that after the CDC came up with guidelines, it is very hard to have one's pain treated. I belong to a pain group and a number of people have committed suicide due to not receiving any pain alleviation - a doctor is keeping a running list. If your body is racked with pain and some doctor paternalistically tells you to grin and bear it, man up, suck it up - or whatever - and all you see is abject suffering on the horizon then we all may change our views pretty quick.

I don't believe a God that creates some of the most beautiful things on earth would sit there like a stolid, rigid, dictator, demanding that people suffer like a dog until they die. We treat our animals better. When our beloved terrier - who had saved me from a huge dog one time - jumping up off her little feet for all she was worth to save me - developed a mass in her bladder, I could not stand to see her like that. We made the humane decision to allow her to die with dignity and love; without prolonged suffering - the love that she had given us unconditionally. Should we do less for our fellow humans?

I think it's a deeply personal decision - but one that each individual should make - not family members, not doctors, not bureaucrats. And I'll vote for right-to-die legislation because of it.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bless you...H

Thanks Helen, for your kind words:)

I too am being kept going by medication but when the time comes when I can no longer care for myself, I never want to be a burden to my family, nor do I want to have some stranger in a nursing home care for me. I cared for my mother a short time and it took a toll. Family members develop "caregivers burnout." I had two people I knew who chose to end their own lives and I fully supported their decisions. Neither their family or bureaucrats should hold that right. Both had severe health problems that would have landed them in a nursing home. Rather than see them as weak I see them as strong - it had to have been hard to make that decision.

It's one of those things in life we don't like to talk about or face but it's there.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Euthanasia is a difficult one - If I knew I had demencia I would not want to inflict that illness on my children, I would desire to be released , but not sure I would want my children to go through the pain of me choosing to end my life ( dans illness makes you face that grief and possibility head on )
Withdrawing medication, that can be so difficult too as it can cause a long and painful death. Many of out residents refuse meds, food and water, and yet they still suffer.
I honestly don't know if I agree with it or not- working with the elderly makes you tap into your compassion, patience and care - I don't believe any of their lives are without purpose - even when they appear not to be there xx
Rita
I think it is a very individual and personal choice that nobody can decide for you. After seeing some of the heartbreaking court cases there have been where terminally ill people have sought the court's permission to end their lives I think there should be more choice and compassion for those that decide it is the right course of action for them. At present they are forced to go to the clinic in Switzerland to die with the dignity they desire and deserve. But not all of us can afford that.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What can I say, it's how I feel! Who else feels this way?
I do.

And my wife doesn't mind. Because I have confidence that even while I know it will be so much better there, yet she needs me.

As I've been pointing out to her, as God renews my mind and my health, what is it for? Just look at what He's doing! He's making me a servant. I tell my wife, God is remaking me to what? To take care of her! God is caring for her through me.

The truth is, we already have eternal life. While I look so forward to seeing, yet now by faith is still pretty fantastically amazing!

To be physically dead is to be in Heaven with our Lord Jesus Christ, our Father, all the Saints who are already there and even Gabriel and the Angels! OHHH, How I fantasize about this all the time.

Amen!!!

And Amen!!

As to the time of my dying, I leave that in God's hands. I'll not hasten it, I don't expect. I've watched what God has done in renewing those who attend the dying through the suffering of the dying. Should that fall upon me, it will then be my final work in the body to patiently endure the dying of this body while God uses that dying to work life in those around me.

One of my very favorite songs is The Holy City, Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Sing! for the night is over!

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and jshiii