Need Help Figuring Out Dream

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because even the Scripture is just dead ineffective letter without the involvement of the Holy Spirit, the Pharisees, because the Holy Spirit was not involved in their interpretation of their Scriptures, their view came from the flesh and not from the Holy Spirit.
Scripture is dead without the Holy Spirit? Where do you find that in Scripture?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am Reformed Baptist.

Do they believe that the Holy Ghost speaks to people at times? I'm thinking you already answered that, but I would just like to be sure. I'm trying to get an understanding of other religions.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends what you mean by speak.

Creating thoughts for us to consider and feelings like: (Galatians 5:22-23). I've heard many a testimony of people that were saved by words from the Holy Spirit when they were near to being killed.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Creating thoughts for us to consider and feelings like: (Galatians 5:22-23). I've heard many a testimony of people that were saved by words from the Holy Spirit when they were near to being killed.
I don't believe stories about people who were saved by words from the Holy Spirit. Scripture is clear they must hear the preaching of the Word. I believe the Spirit convicts and gives promptings which must be checked against Scripture, but I don't believe we get specific special messages outside of Scripture from the Spirit.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the Spirit convicts and gives promptings which must be checked against Scripture
Could you be more specific of the way he convicts and prompts? Thoughts and feelings or other? And could this also involve visions and dreams?

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Scripture is dead without the Holy Spirit? Where do you find that in Scripture?
1 John 2:27:
"As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit--just as it has taught you, remain in him."

"But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you" (John 14:26).

We know that when the Holy Spirit teaches us what we need to know He does not come as some disembodied "voice" giving us "new revelation". He teaches us through the Scriptures - giving us insight into what God is really saying to us through them. I know of testimonies where people said they used to read the Bible and it didn't mean much to them until they received Christ as Saviour, and then the Bible became a totally different book to them. That was the indwelling Holy Spirit making the Scriptures understandable to them and showing them that the written Scriptures were not just words in a book, but through the voice of the Spirit speaking through them, they became the living Words of eternal life to those who base their faith on Christ.

Hey, I thought every Christian believer knew that!

When I was in the Pentecostal church it was taught that it was the baptism with the Spirit that made the written Scriptures come alive; but now that I know that conversion to Christ and Spirit baptism are one and the same, I accept that being born again of the Spirit of God is what makes the Scriptures come alive to a person. This is why the gospel of Christ is the power of God leading to salvation to those who believe it, because the first step in the Holy Spirit giving the light of the gospel is to make the relevant gospel references real to a seeking sinner to enable him or her to have saving faith to make a full commitment to Christ.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We know that when the Holy Spirit teaches us what we need to know He does not come as some disembodied "voice" giving us "new revelation".

This seems contrary to the scriptures in my opinion. Now I'm wondering do you think that the holy spirit gives messages to his children as it says in the Holy Scriptures. Messages to both men and women?:

1 Corinthians 12

1 Brothers and sisters, I want you to know about the gifts of the Holy Spirit. 2 You know that at one time you were unbelievers. You were somehow drawn away to worship statues of gods that couldn’t even speak. 3 So I want you to know that no one who is speaking with the help of God’s Spirit says, “May Jesus be cursed.” And without the help of the Holy Spirit no one can say, “Jesus is Lord.”

4 There are different kinds of gifts. But they are all given to believers by the same Spirit. 5 There are different ways to serve. But they all come from the same Lord. 6 There are different ways the Spirit works. But the same God is working in all these ways and in all people.

7 The Holy Spirit is given to each of us in a special way. That is for the good of all. 8 To some people the Spirit gives a message of wisdom. To others the same Spirit gives a message of knowledge. 9 To others the same Spirit gives faith. To others that one Spirit gives gifts of healing. 10 To others he gives the power to do miracles. To others he gives the ability to prophesy. To others he gives the ability to tell the spirits apart. To others he gives the ability to speak in different kinds of languages they had not known before. And to still others he gives the ability to explain what was said in those languages. 11 All the gifts are produced by one and the same Spirit. He gives gifts to each person, just as he decides.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckieLady

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 2:27:
"As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit--just as it has taught you, remain in him."

"But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you" (John 14:26).

We know that when the Holy Spirit teaches us what we need to know He does not come as some disembodied "voice" giving us "new revelation". He teaches us through the Scriptures - giving us insight into what God is really saying to us through them. I know of testimonies where people said they used to read the Bible and it didn't mean much to them until they received Christ as Saviour, and then the Bible became a totally different book to them. That was the indwelling Holy Spirit making the Scriptures understandable to them and showing them that the written Scriptures were not just words in a book, but through the voice of the Spirit speaking through them, they became the living Words of eternal life to those who base their faith on Christ.

Hey, I thought every Christian believer knew that!

When I was in the Pentecostal church it was taught that it was the baptism with the Spirit that made the written Scriptures come alive; but now that I know that conversion to Christ and Spirit baptism are one and the same, I accept that being born again of the Spirit of God is what makes the Scriptures come alive to a person. This is why the gospel of Christ is the power of God leading to salvation to those who believe it, because the first step in the Holy Spirit giving the light of the gospel is to make the relevant gospel references real to a seeking sinner to enable him or her to have saving faith to make a full commitment to Christ.
Neither of those verses say the Scripture is dead without the Spirit.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course this is not true. The Pharisees ADDED to Scripture their own rules. So that is a Red Herring.

How is it a red herring? They accused Him of not keeping the Sabbath:

1 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.” 3 Jesus replied, “Have you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? (Matthew 12:1-3)

They were taking things just as you are, going by what was "written strictly."

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not a moderator and this is absolutely a debatable topic.

This wasnt started as a debate or in the debate section is all Im saying. I like memes, so if it was inciteful, I apologize. If fluff doesnt care, I don't. I didnt report either and know I am not a mod. I just feel it wasnt the right time or place to start the convo. People leave I think, because everywhere turns into a debate. Almost have to put a disclaimer in the opening post if you don't want one.

Reactions: DuckieLady

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This wasnt started as a debate or in the debate section is all Im saying. I like memes, so if it was inciteful, I apologize. If fluff doesnt care, I don't. I didnt report either and know I am not a mod. I just feel it wasnt the right time or place to start the convo. People leave I think, because everywhere turns into a debate. Almost have to put a disclaimer in the opening post if you don't want one.
This is a discussion forum, everything is a discussion/debate. That's kind of the point.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is it a red herring? They accused Him of not keeping the Sabbath:

1 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.” 3 Jesus replied, “Have you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? (Matthew 12:1-3)

They were taking things just as you are, going by what was "written strictly."
No, what does Scripture actually say about the Sabbath?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a discussion forum, everything is a discussion/debate. That's kind of the point.

When I think spirituality subforum, I think spiritual growth. It is right up near praise/prayer/fellowship forums. And this discussion was about her dream and figuring if God was trying to tell her something. It wasn't originally a debate on if women should teach or whatever else.

There is like theology/ethics morality/debate/politics, etc. Just seems a place of "spirituality" should be different.

Reactions: dev553344

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I think spirituality subforum, I think spiritual growth. It is right up near praise/prayer/fellowship forums. And this discussion was about her dream and figuring if God was trying to tell her something. It wasn't originally a debate on if women should teach or whatever else.

There is like theology/ethics morality/debate/politics, etc. Just seems a place of "spirituality" should be different.
Yeah no, it turned into a debate on how God speaks and to whom and in what ways. Big difference.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But meh. LOL. I went into defense mode reformed. It is really just an opinion, anyway. No one else seems to care, so Ill roll with it. :D

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You can also have repeated dreams like Joseph's Pharaoh in Egypt as a sign from God
That was then. This is now. The entire Bible was a long way from being completed.

To the Law and to the Testimony: [the Word of God] if they speak not according to this Word, it is because there is no light in them. (Isaiah 8:20)

Status
Not open for further replies.