Need Help Figuring Out Dream

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are going to build a whole doctrine out of isolated verses, well, we are in more disagreement than I thought.
But that's what you did.

Yes, we are, because if you are going to say that the women can't have dreams because it's not listed in Acts 2:17, then you're going to take the reverse direction and say that the old men will neither prophesy or have visions, and the young men will not have dreams or visions either, and I don't believe you or anyone else here believes that.

How do we know that interpretation is inaccurate? How do we know old men will prophesy?

"For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged."

Why are you not seeing it as a poetic example of some of the things that God will do and not eliminating others?

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I interpret it strictly because it is WRITTEN strictly. I know that doesn't seem to matter to some people which is how we end up with women pastors.

The Pharisees also interpreted things strictly, because it was "written strictly." They were wrong, so beware how you interpret the word of God. It is only revealed accurately by the Spirit of God. The carnal mind will often interpret it in the exact opposite fashion to how it should be.

God bless,
Hidden in Him

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back when I was in middle school I used to constantly have dreams that I could fly. Come to find out I heard that type of dream stems from wanting to escape from something. In my case it was the Catholic school I attended at the time. I did not come from a wealthy Italian family so I was treated like dirt.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But if you want to interpret your dreams, Sigmund Freud wrote the best book about it called "The Interpretation of Dreams".
Christians should simply ignore dreams since they come to everyone, and indicate that people are in the REM (rapid eye movement) state of sleeping.

"You can have intense dreams during REM sleep, since your brain is more active. REM is important because it stimulates the areas of the brain that help with learning and is associated with increased production of proteins..."
Basics on Sleep

Dream interpretation is similar to those prognosticators who would peep and mutter while they tried to tell someone's fortune. Scrooge would say "Bah! Humbug!"

Reactions: dev553344

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Christians should simply ignore dreams since they come to everyone, and indicate that people are in the REM (rapid eye movement) state of sleeping.

"You can have intense dreams during REM sleep, since your brain is more active. REM is important because it stimulates the areas of the brain that help with learning and is associated with increased production of proteins..."
Basics on Sleep

Dream interpretation is similar to those prognosticators who would peep and mutter while they tried to tell someone's fortune. Scrooge would say "Bah! Humbug!"
My comment about Sigmund Freud was a tongue in cheek comment to show my belief that trying to interpret dreams belongs to New Age thinking, originating from a godless author who originated the occult-like theory of dream interpretation.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My comment about Sigmund Freud was a tongue in cheek comment to show my belief that trying to interpret dreams belongs to New Age thinking, originating from a godless author who originated the occult-like theory of dream interpretation.

Did you know that's like half of the book of Daniel?

I thought it was weird but I wasn't going to be a jerk about it.

I mean if you look at Daniel, who by the Holy Spirit interpreted dreams and that's like a big part of the story, and Joseph who actually had dreams and then also interpreted them- that's in the Bible.

Did you remember that when Moses threw down his staff and it turned into the snake, so did the sorcerers? When he turned the water into blood, the sorcerers did the same? How in Revelation, God leaves his seal on the 144,000 and its followed by mark of the beast?

Do you see how everything becomes a mockery of what God did? The Lord gave and Satan creates a mockery to take it away.

That doesn't make everything you look at evil. It means we're in the middle of a spiritual battle and EVERYTHING requires spiritual discernment and most of the time with things like this it can only be discerned by the spirit and scripture.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and TLHKAJ

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that's what you did.

Yes, we are, because if you are going to say that the women can't have dreams because it's not listed in Acts 2:17, then you're going to take the reverse direction and say that the old men will neither prophesy or have visions, and the young men will not have dreams or visions either, and I don't believe you or anyone else here believes that.
Strawman, that is not what I said. I am not basing it solely on Acts 2:17. I take the Bible for what it says, you obviously do not.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pharisees also interpreted things strictly, because it was "written strictly." They were wrong, so beware how you interpret the word of God. It is only revealed accurately by the Spirit of God. The carnal mind will often interpret it in the exact opposite fashion to how it should be.

God bless,
Hidden in Him
Of course this is not true. The Pharisees ADDED to Scripture their own rules. So that is a Red Herring.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strawman, that is not what I said. I am not basing it solely on Acts 2:17. I take the Bible for what it says, you obviously do not.

Sorry, reformed. I apologize. If you send me the verse that says women don't have dreams, I'll read it.

Or anything in the Bible that suggests that AT ALL.

Otherwise I'm going to take it your interpretation as being based primarily off of mild spiritual sexism.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Basics on Sleep

You can also have repeated dreams like Joseph's Pharaoh in Egypt as a sign from God:

Genesis 41:32 "And for that the dream was doubled unto Pharaoh twice; it is because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass."

I would ignore most dreams but if it seems to repeat and you're impressed then maybe it's from God.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can also have repeated dreams like Joseph's Pharaoh in Egypt as a sign from God:

Genesis 41:32 "And for that the dream was doubled unto Pharaoh twice; it is because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass."

I would ignore most dreams but if it seems to repeat and you're impressed then maybe it's from God.
Now I'm going to have to try and think if there's any repeat dreams... :D
My mom and I had shared the same dream in one night when I was a child. That one was definitely legit.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now I'm going to have to try and think if there's any repeat dreams... :D
My mom and I had shared the same dream in one night when I was a child. That one was definitely legit.
I didn't know that about repeat dreams until I remembered Joseph in Egypt and my psychiatrist keeps asking me if I have any dreams that repeat. But recently I remember having one that repeated and just ignored it and now I can't remember it :( Bummer.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Did you know that's like half of the book of Daniel?

I thought it was weird but I wasn't going to be a jerk about it.

I mean if you look at Daniel, who by the Holy Spirit interpreted dreams and that's like a big part of the story, and Joseph who actually had dreams and then also interpreted them- that's in the Bible.

Did you remember that when Moses threw down his staff and it turned into the snake, so did the sorcerers? When he turned the water into blood, the sorcerers did the same? How in Revelation, God leaves his seal on the 144,000 and its followed by mark of the beast?

Do you see how everything becomes a mockery of what God did? The Lord gave and Satan creates a mockery to take it away.

That doesn't make everything you look at evil. It means we're in the middle of a spiritual battle and EVERYTHING requires spiritual discernment and most of the time with things like this it can only be discerned by the spirit and scripture.
The difference is that New Covenant believers have the indwelling Holy Spirit. The New Testament examples of dreams contained clear and unmistakable messages that didn't need interpretation. There is no New Testament evidence that ordinary believers are guided by dreams and visions. Guidance comes from the indwelling Holy Spirit giving us insight into the Scriptures. It is the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit working together to teach us what we need to know.

Everything that God has to say to us is written in the Old and New Testament Scriptures, but on their own they are just the dead letter. They need the involvement of the Holy Spirit merging with the written Scriptures to bring us the rhema word of God.

Peter's vision of the sheet coming down full of different creatures was so clear to him that he knew exactly what it meant, and the fulfillment of the vision happened right away with the visit of the messengers from Cornelius' household. Paul's vision of the man from Macedonia was a clear message. Paul had angels encourage him. But there is absolutely no evidence in the New Testament of confused, symbolic, haphazard dreams that need interpretation by other people. Therefore, dreams like that are definitely not of the Holy Spirit and any interpretation of them is New Age occult divination.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, reformed. I apologize. If you send me the verse that says women don't have dreams, I'll read it.

Or anything in the Bible that suggests that AT ALL.

Otherwise I'm going to take it your interpretation as being based primarily off of mild spiritual sexism.
It goes to the fact that God no longer speaks with special revelation. The Canon is closed. You shall not add to these words.

Reactions: dev553344

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Of course this is not true. The Pharisees ADDED to Scripture their own rules. So that is a Red Herring.
Because even the Scripture is just dead ineffective letter without the involvement of the Holy Spirit, the Pharisees, because the Holy Spirit was not involved in their interpretation of their Scriptures, their view came from the flesh and not from the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: amadeus

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It goes to the fact that God no longer speaks with special revelation. The Canon is closed. You shall not add to these words.

Thank you for coming out and saying your beliefs. I was wondering what angle you were coming from. My beliefs are different than yours. If I can ask, what denomination are you speaking from? Reformed what?

Reactions: reformed1689

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual sexism? Oh brother. I know you don't like the fact that men are given the leadership roles in Scripture as continuing roles for today. Paul's letters are clear on that subject.
Case and point, I said I was a complementarian.

I didn't say I disagreed with Paul. I said I disagreed with you.

Reactions: TLHKAJ
Status
Not open for further replies.