Need help quitting coffee

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I looked it up and reducing the dose is recommended. I just was trying to stop drinking the 6 cups and it wasn't working. I was so tense and uptight that I couldn't take it anymore and drank another cup. And if I'm going to drink 6 cups a day, it's two cups every 5 hours, then yes I think right now that is my only option.
ill definitely keep you in prayer. it is much easier that way, too.

just caffeine withdrawal headaches alone from cold turkey are really hard.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I drink this stuff. Yummmmm! I started drinking it in the morning to replace my am coffee because it was causing acid reflux .You could half your coffee with this!
It's rich.

Cafix | World Finer Foods

Not available at my Walmart. I buy it from Amazon.
Yes that looks like the same container as my coffee, just a different label. I could mix my coffee with decaf to trick myself into thinking I'm drinking just as much.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that...
Me too. I heard it was a good alternative. But wow, still had the same problems. And they appeared to be worse with green tea. I think I have one of those abnormal stomachs because I have cystic fibrosis.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ill definitely keep you in prayer. it is much easier that way, too.

just caffeine withdrawal headaches alone from cold turkey are really hard.
I don't like headaches. I put together a reduced dose cup to try it and I still haven't finished it. Something about the darker coffee made it easier to drink. We'll see tomorrow when I start out with a reduced dose brew.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes that looks like the same container as my coffee, just a different label. I could mix my coffee with decaf to trick myself into thinking I'm drinking just as much.

It amazes me how we can do that and have it work. I quit drinking coffee and just drink Cafix and my body thinks its getting energy from caffeine!!ROFL. Just fooling myself!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me too. I heard it was a good alternative. But wow, still had the same problems. And they appeared to be worse with green tea. I think I have one of those abnormal stomachs because I have cystic fibrosis.

Goodness, I didn't know that...

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goodness, I didn't know that...
It's the a-typical cystic fibrosis so I'm supposed to live a long time. They have new meds for it that I've been taking. And it repaired my liver. I would be dying at 55'ish if it wasn't for the meds.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It amazes me how we can do that and have it work. I quit drinking coffee and just drink Cafix and my body thinks its getting energy from caffeine!!ROFL. Just fooling myself!
Thanks, yeah I think it's having the same effect on me. I've already started the reduced dosage and I feel like I'm having too much caffeine.

Dosia

Jan 24, 2021
Manitoba
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God give Devin the help he needs to reduce his caffeine intake without feeling any severe withdrawal affect, thank You LORD, Amen

Depriving oneself as in cold turkey, may bring on unfavourable withdrawal from going off too quickly, like jitters and headaches and fatigue, and so I think you hit right on the button, to slowly wean yourself off by reducing dose instead? Keep in mind that teas, hot chocolate, cola drinks contain
caffeine too? Freeze dried instant coffee is said to have less caffeine? Also you can buy a small jar of decaf, and mix it half in half with your regular coffee and that helps reduce caffeine as well. Then just keep withdrawing the caffeine coffee and adding more decaf, and then work from there to take it even further, smaller cups, smaller doses, and a prayer with each cut down. You will do it for sure with God's help.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might join you. It gives me anxiety and I don't know if you knew this, but I read recently that caffeine increases psychosis and hallucinations in patients with schizophrenia.

Gives me heart palpitations, so I am thinking about switching back to matcha or green tea.

will pray, too
Coffee made me crazy. And I know now that the caffeine caused adrenal fatigue that made me unable to function well except while high on the caffeine (because my natural adrenal output was severely hampered and diminished by being overtaxed and stimulated by the caffeine).

Now my problem is the caffeine in Mountain Dew. Far less caffeine that I was getting from coffee, but still enough to cause anxiety, restlessness, sleeplessness, palpitations, and energy crashes. So I'm trying to cut way, way back on it for that reason, but also because I'm learning how harmful sugar is in our modern diet. I mean really harmful. I'm a geek and I was looking into the science of losing weight (I've put on a few pounds, lol) and learned how sugar has destroyed us in our modern, western society. And...are you ready for this?...fat doesn't make you fat! Carbohydrates do!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have stomach problems and have had them for over 5 years now. I have to take immodium just to travel anywhere. I've been drinking about 6 small cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of instant coffee per cup. I started drinking them because I was forced to take sedating medications for my schizophrenia. And once I started I haven't been able to lighten up or stop. I had two times that I didn't drink coffee for an amount of time and each time my stomach problems went away, the last was this last week. I'm now sure the problems are caused from caffeine. Therefore I would like to quit and slow down first so I don't have too bad of withdrawals. Please pray for me to do this. I'm already finding it difficult. And I just started today.
I was able to quit cold turkey about 10 years ago because I had hit bottom and the effects of going cold turkey were less than the effects of the caffeine. I got to the point I hated the smell of coffee.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have stomach problems and have had them for over 5 years now. I have to take immodium just to travel anywhere. I've been drinking about 6 small cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of instant coffee per cup. I started drinking them because I was forced to take sedating medications for my schizophrenia. And once I started I haven't been able to lighten up or stop. I had two times that I didn't drink coffee for an amount of time and each time my stomach problems went away, the last was this last week. I'm now sure the problems are caused from caffeine. Therefore I would like to quit and slow down first so I don't have too bad of withdrawals. Please pray for me to do this. I'm already finding it difficult. And I just started today.

You could also try mixing together two jars of instant, (one decaf and one regular) and then get it down eventually to two parts decaf to one part regular. Might help.

Reactions: dev553344 and Nancy

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been drinking about 6 small cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of instant coffee per cup. I started drinking them because I was forced to take sedating medications for my schizophrenia.
Oh, wow, my little rant about sugar just reminded me about the link between blood sugar and brain health. Going out on a limb here but maybe lowering your blood sugar can help with the schizophrenia. Scroll through this list and watch a couple of videos if you have time: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpTTF6wMDLR4o5YrlOF71wkMW4hhddCef

I've learned tons about the effects of sugar on the body and the brain from this guy.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was able to quit cold turkey about 10 years ago because I had hit bottom and the effects of going cold turkey were less than the effects of the caffeine. I got to the point I hated the smell of coffee.
Wow, sounds like you had a bad experience with the coffee. Sorry to hear that. I'm also having a bad experience now.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You could also try mixing together two jars of instant, (one decaf and one regular) and then get it down eventually to two parts decaf to one part regular. Might help.
That sounds like a good idea.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, wow, my little rant about sugar just reminded me about the link between blood sugar and brain health. Going out on a limb here but maybe lowering your blood sugar can help with the schizophrenia. Scroll through this list and watch a couple of videos if you have time: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpTTF6wMDLR4o5YrlOF71wkMW4hhddCef

I've learned tons about the effects of sugar on the body and the brain from this guy.
I don't have blood sugar problems really. Not yet anyways. And I've pretty much cut out sugars from my diet on the advice of my nutritionist. I did find out that not only sugars cause high blood sugar but also things like noodles in large amounts and especially rice in large amounts.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You gotta wonder how someone found that out, lol.
Lol I don't know, but I've seen it as a method for Swedish egg coffee.

I tried it when I was younger. Just a bit smoother and it removes the bitterness, but it will make the caffeine stronger.
Coffee made me crazy. And I know now that the caffeine caused adrenal fatigue that made me unable to function well except while high on the caffeine (because my natural adrenal output was severely hampered and diminished by being overtaxed and stimulated by the caffeine).

Now my problem is the caffeine in Mountain Dew. Far less caffeine that I was getting from coffee, but still enough to cause anxiety, restlessness, sleeplessness, palpitations, and energy crashes. So I'm trying to cut way, way back on it for that reason, but also because I'm learning how harmful sugar is in our modern diet. I mean really harmful. I'm a geek and I was looking into the science of losing weight (I've put on a few pounds, lol) and learned how sugar has destroyed us in our modern, western society. And...are you ready for this?...fat doesn't make you fat! Carbohydrates do!
Sounds really familiar.. Lol, me too. I've had quite a few crashes.

I remember watching that documentary That Sugar Film. He loaded up on sugar to see what it did to him. I remember it being a really fun watch when I was researching the same thing.

One of those things we know we should quit but sooooo hard to do