New Christian Confused About Which Church To Go To

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farafina

May 7, 2009
Hello everyone,I am new here and recently converted to Christianity from Islam and I accepted Jesus as my Saviour and Lord.I am looking for a church but there are so many denominations and so many cultic movements that I am very confused.I was invited to a church by a lady i met by chance in a mall and when i went, it had about 2,000 people and they are broken up into cells of 12 and they have tried to get me to go to a retreat called Encounter and to attend cell meetings...For some reason, I feel a bit uncomfortable and would like to "shop" around to see what church would be right for me.Any pointers, suggestions, etc would be good.People told me, just pick a church that follows the BIble. But as a new Christian, how do I know that they don't or do follow the Bible? That their interpretation is not right? This is all very hard to do if you dont have knowledge of the Scriptures...I know for sure that I am not drawn to the Catholic or the Eastern Orthodox church. I appreciate any advice, pointers, suggestions .... Thank you.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Hi faralady I totally understand your confusion you are right to wait just read the bible and slowly learn ask questions of what you are confused about forum are great for that ... there is no hurry ... All denominations are of men ... Gods word has no denomination it is written to all his children on earth... God says where to find him Psa 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book [it is] written of me, Hbr 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. He is in the book that's where you need to go to learn ...Which is why people tell you go to church that teaches the Bible but you are right how will you know if you haven't yet learned so take your time ... God says where ever two or are gathered together in his name you are in church so in a way even being on line with others is a type of church ... If you want a suggestion I normally recommend reading Genesis and Exodus (Old testament) then Mathew, mark Luke (In the New testament ) then Acts thats gives one a good overall idea then you can start filling by reading the rest of the books .... Ask plenty of questions ...remember everyone has an opinion so take them all with a grain of salt untill you can prove them in Gods Word Hope this helps you And may God Bless you on your path ...

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (FaraLady @ May 7 2009, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73362
Hello everyone,I am new here and recently converted to Christianity from Islam and I accepted Jesus as my Saviour and Lord.I am looking for a church but there are so many denominations and so many cultic movements that I am very confused.I was invited to a church by a lady i met by chance in a mall and when i went, it had about 2,000 people and they are broken up into cells of 12 and they have tried to get me to go to a retreat called Encounter and to attend cell meetings...For some reason, I feel a bit uncomfortable and would like to "shop" around to see what church would be right for me.Any pointers, suggestions, etc would be good.People told me, just pick a church that follows the BIble. But as a new Christian, how do I know that they don't or do follow the Bible? That their interpretation is not right? This is all very hard to do if you dont have knowledge of the Scriptures...I know for sure that I am not drawn to the Catholic or the Eastern Orthodox church. I appreciate any advice, pointers, suggestions .... Thank you.
Dear FaraLady, I don't go to church... I came to Christ as Summer 2006...I went to 3 churches... And 2 of them did not bring their bibles at all. 1 of them told me NOT to bring my bible at all... All of them from my personal experience... mix Truth with lies. So what did I do? I let Christ teach me on His own. The Bible and God only... I can't stand churches, but going to church is not a requirement.FaraLady, do you have by chance if I can have your E-Mail address? I would wilfully help you on your quest with Christ. Please Private Message me as I rarely post here nowadays!Your Brother in Christ...Jordan

farafina

May 7, 2009
QUOTE (Christina @ May 7 2009, 11:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73364
Hi faralady I totally understand your confusion you are right to wait just read the bible and slowly learn ask questions of what you are confused about forum are great for that ... there is no hurry ... All denominations are of men ... Gods word has no denomination it is written to all his children on earth... God says where to find him Psa 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book [it is] written of me, Hbr 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. He is in the book that's where you need to go to learn ...Which is why people tell you go to church that teaches the Bible but you are right how will you know if you haven't yet learned so take your time ... God says where ever two or are gathered together in his name you are in church so in a way even being on line with others is a type of church ... If you want a suggestion I normally recommend reading Genesis and Exodus (Old testament) then Mathew, mark Luke (In the New testament ) then Acts thats gives one a good overall idea then you can start filling by reading the rest of the books .... Ask plenty of questions ...remember everyone has an opinion so take them all with a grain of salt untill you can prove them in Gods Word Hope this helps you And may God Bless you on your path ...
Dear Christina,Thank you very much for the reading suggestions. I became a believer in Christ while reading John a bit over 2 months ago now. And later I read the other 3 gospels. I then went and read Kings because I wanted to learn more about David and also Elijah and Elisha. I will now, based on your suggestion, go and read genesis and exodus. Thanks tons.Fara

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
You are most welcome Pay attention to the Law given to Moses (the 10 commandments ) when you get there these are Gods Laws to all mankind to live by. Dont let anyone tell you differnt ... Christ says he came to fulfil them not to change even one dot of them. However because of our sinful nature we can not live by the Law alone or none of us would have ever been saved So it was for that reason Christ was sent to pay the price for all sins past present and future so that we may be saved all we need to do is recognize our sins and ask forgiveness in the name of Jesus Christ ... But that doesn't not change that we are to strive to live by Gods Laws to mankind. When you read of early sacrafices these were only covered up the sin they didnt forgive it this was a tempoary fix untill Christ was to come .... Just a little foundation to help with your understanding

Jilli

Feb 23, 2009
Hi Faralady,Such good news that you accepted Jesus as your Saviour! Trust that you are enjoying your bible reading and learning something new every day.To find the right church take your time and pray about it. God will lead you to the rightone. Although you will never find the perfect church it is a good idea to go, as truechristians will give you a lot of support and the teaching you need at this time. It is likefinding a ready-made family - the Family of God. It took me about 4 months to feel at home in our new church so don't expect too much too soon. But keep reading your bibleas that is your first defence against wrong teaching, the more you know, the more ableyou are to discern what is false. God bless you heaps.
rolleyes.gif

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
I am pretty new to going to church myself (about 3 yrs). I started at a Lutheran church that I liked a lot, but my kids were falling asleep and didn't want to go. So I switched to a foursquare church. I affectionately label it "the rock concert". It has good teaching though and the kids aren't falling asleep and they like to go. The point is just like we are not perfect neither are any of the churches. The important thing is to read the bible. If your church teaches something that you don't understand read the corresponding bible verses and see for yourself. If it is something that you think threatens salvation then it is time to find another church. If it is something you don't agree with but doesn't threaten salvation maybe you can agree to disagree and stay with the church. The church I go to (the rock concert) has a bookstore and a coffee shop inside the building right next to worship. You have to walk past them to get to worship. I have a big big problem with this. But does it threaten my salvation or the salvation of my children? I don't think so.Do not forsake the gathering of the brethren as the day approaches. I can't remember what bible passage this is but I think it is saying that church is good for us. Even if it is not perfect.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
For Life, gathering two or more people in His name (Lord Jesus Christ) is a church. It is following the rule. (Matthew 18:20) It does not necessarily have to be in a church building. We can also gather in a website.
smile.gif
We can also gather at home. It is another church type....

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
Sure, Jordan. Different strokes for different folks. Everyone does things a little differently. That was the point of my post. There isn't anything that is perfect, just like there is nobody that is perfect, except Jesus Christ.I'm not sure that I agree that we can gather in a website. That is just zeros and ones. But definitely we can gather at home or anywhere else that we go physically.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (For Life @ May 9 2009, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73423
Sure, Jordan. Different strokes for different folks. Everyone does things a little differently. That was the point of my post. There isn't anything that is perfect, just like there is nobody that is perfect, except Jesus Christ.I'm not sure that I agree that we can gather in a website. That is just zeros and ones. But definitely we can gather at home or anywhere else that we go physically.
Sure we can. They are many topic created and being discussed by us Christians. Some are mature and some can be immature, yet discussions on a forum are response by people. I see this as another gathering. Remember in His name 2 or more people are a church. The Body of Christ.
smile.gif
Blessings

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
QUOTE (FaraLady @ May 7 2009, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73362
Don't be afraid to visit as many different church services as you wish. Most congregations have a warm welcome for guests. Take your time , you will find Christians everywhere you go , including outside the church.Remember you now have The Holy Spirit living with you so keep an eye out for his work as he guides you. These things can be the most exciting. Just you , your Lord Jesus , and The Holy Spirit and it is amazing how things will fall into place in their proper time.Of course you are reading the bible , so if someone tries to teach you something not correct (cults) you should be able to figure it out. If you freelance and stay independant for the first while you will be in less danger of joining the wrong group . Eventually you will find somewhere you fit in best according to your style.. It could also happen this very morning. Like I said , the Lord often does something special for the new beleiver just to confirm you have made the right decision comming to Christ. You are never alone.I find it very encouraging to hear you are a Christian FaraLady. Very best wishes to you. It is an exciting ride.On a side note , I have been a Christian for over 23 years. I have never joined any one Church. I attend many different ones at different times and have freinds in all. I also have many Christian freinds and associates who have never set foot in any church.Jesus Christ is the one who builds his worldwide church , he uses many methods. He will have something planned for you. Keep an eye out for it. Always exciting when he puts it together.Again FaraLady , best wishes , keep in touch , you are an encouragement.Many thanksMartin W.

farafina

May 7, 2009
For Life -- thanks for the advice. It makes sense. Dear Martin W, ... I have to say your message touched my heart. It is you who are an encouragement. Thanks for reminding me of these essential things. )After attending 3 times a charismatic megachurch (the "rock concert" wink at For Life
wink.gif
), I went to a Baptist evangelical church yesterday. It was a very "sobering" experience for the new Christian that I am!!
laugh.gif
But I have to say the sermon was a detailed analysis of about 10 verses of te Bible and I learned a lot from it. I will keep visiting churches till I find myself in the right place for me to contribute. Blessings to all,FaraLady

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
**************************************************************************8TRY lds.org

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Welcome to the Family!It is frustrating trying to understand when you're new. There's many people that believe many different things in Christianity. Many if not most don't believe or understand exactly what the bible says and formulate opinions that are opinions of man not God.One thing I want for you to understand is this.It is not a sin to not go to church. Some will say since paul said, in Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching. that we have to go to church. Also, they claim it's sin not to observe the sabbath. Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:Some will try to claim that you have to observe the sabbathe and go to church or it's sin. That's not true.The explaination of Hebrews 10:25, first is not a command, it's a reccomendation, loosely translated as, "Don't stop getting together because we all need eachother to help eachother grow in faith and love" The explaination of Colossians 2:16 is, Back then there were people probably the Jews that were saying that you have to keep the laws of Moses and that the Laws are what save you. Loosely translated is this,,,, "Don't let anyone tell you that you can't eat certain things, or that you have to observe certain holy days, or any of the sabbath days."I say this so that you will have a clear conscience and be able to study the word of God and pray. Also so that you will not feel unduly guilted and rushed into a church that may not be good for you.God bless you!

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
God only nominated one church and one faith.From the styart (Pentecost), seekers were told (Acts 2:37-38):repent (turn from any other way, religious or not)be baptised (immersed, obviously as a believer)receive the Holy Spirit which the previous verses detail, being identified with speaking in tongues.Man has de-nominated that Way, God will have none of it.Only the faithful will be his bride, he will not marry a whore.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
God only nominated one church and one faith.From the styart (Pentecost), seekers were told (Acts 2:37-38):repent (turn from any other way, religious or not)be baptised (immersed, obviously as a believer)receive the Holy Spirit which the previous verses detail, being identified with speaking in tongues.Man has de-nominated that Way, God will have none of it.Only the faithful will be his bride, he will not marry a whore.
With all due respect, remember Tallman, Speaking of Tongue is not a requirement... it is one of the lowest gift. Remember the true speaking of tongue is used in a native language that is not of your home language.Blessings!

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
QUOTE (For Life @ May 9 2009, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73423
Sure we can. They are many topic created and being discussed by us Christians. Some are mature and some can be immature, yet discussions on a forum are response by people. I see this as another gathering. Remember in His name 2 or more people are a church. The Body of Christ.
smile.gif
/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />Blessings
Being in a church is way more than simply having discussions, and I too will disagree that a website could be considered to be a church.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Being in a church is way more than simply having discussions, and I too will disagree that a website could be considered to be a church.
Out of curiosity, do you think going to a building is the only way to fellowship (assembly) with others?

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
With all due respect, remember Tallman, Speaking of Tongue is not a requirement... it is one of the lowest gift. Remember the true speaking of tongue is used in a native language that is not of your home language.Blessings!
You show zero due respect to God's word!"The gift of tongues" like gift of faith, words of wisdom, knowledhe etc refers specifically to the meetings-use (giving to the church) of what all all Christians already have for private use.Tongues is a miraculous unlearned prayer language for speaking to God, not to men (1 Cor. 14:2, 4)"we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (Romans 8:26)It is a requirement.That's wht ALL spoke in tongues when they received God's Spirit.If you have never spoken in tongues you are still "in the flesh", "in sin", unwashed etc.