Obsessed about Repentance ? You should at Least UNDERSTAND It...Now is Your Chance...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Excellent Site.....”Faith Comes By Hearing”..... check it out .....Legalists beware....

Recently, I began teaching about the word ‘repent.’ Some were aggravated by that and others saw the truth when I said Jesus and the apostles never said we are to repent of our sins. However, what is taught today, including repentance of sins, is nothing more than ‘Christian Science Fiction’ not based on anything in God’s Word. Instead, it is just ideas man creates to fit the story. Even though the Scriptures never teach repentance of sins, it does give us good news, and my goal is for you to understand the change of mind that Jesus asked for, instead of the repentance of sins. Jesus said we need ‘a change of mind’ regarding Christ as our savior. Our individual personal sins are not an issue, because they were all paid for by Jesus Christ Himself on that cross, and His blood is on that heavenly mercy seat reminding the universe of what He did for us.

Here are three Greek words: metanoia, metanoeo, and metamelomai.

The Greek word in the New Testament for what people call repentance is the noun metanoia. What it means is ‘a change of mind,’ period! Nothing can be added to it. The next word is a verb, metanoeo. It means ‘a change of mind towards something.’ Metanoia is found 24 times in the Greek New Testament, and metanoeo is found 35 times. Metanoeo is a compound verb in the Greek and is composed of two Greek words, the first is meta, meaning ‘change,’ and the second is noeo, meaning ‘mind.’ Therefore, the correct meaning of that word when is ‘to change one’s mind about something.’ As you can see, both those words have absolutely nothing to do with feeling sorry for sins or our emotions, but that is not what is preached. There is another word in the Greek New Testament, however, which carries an emotional definition, and that is the verb metamelomai, which means ‘to feel sorry, to regret, to feel sorrow.’ Metamelomai is found six times in the New Testament and the distinction between the two verbs, metanoeo and metamelomai is obvious in the Greek. Metamelomai expresses merely an emotional change, with metanoeo expressing a change of choice.

Keep in mind that metamelomai signifies nothing but regret resulting in feeling sorry for whatever you are feeling sorry for, while metanoeo deals with a change of mental attitude and has nothing to do with emotions.

Also remember, metanoia is found in scripture 24 times in the New Testament, where metamelomai, the word that deals with emotions, sorrow, and regret, is only found six times, but that word is what Christians like to hang on to because we have been beat over the head that we must be down, feel sorry, regret and remorse. Of course, we will experience some of those feelings. We are all humans and hate to displease our Savior, but feelings have nothing to do with salvation. Those emotions are not in scripture, even though it is preached as scripture, and I am on a campaign to correct that. This may aggravate a lot of people, especially the Pharisees of today’s world, because it goes against tradition, but we must get this right. It is the starting point and why there are three failures and only one success in the Parable of the Sower.

Metanoia is the primary word of the three. I have my own definition, which refers to people who thought one thing, and then based on further evidence, or input, changed their minds. However, the basic definition of metanoia is ‘a change of mind’ and that definition is used not only in the New Testament, but also outside the New Testament, that is ‘a change of mind that leads to a different course of action.’ In scripture, that course of action must be determined by the context that deals with forgiveness of sin or receiving eternal life as a gift from God. The course of action is a change of trust because one now sees Jesus as the only means of our salvation. As an example, John used the word metanoia in Matthew 3:1-2,

“In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
And saying, Repent ye [actually, metanoeo, ‘change your mind’] for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Ask yourself what were John’s listeners supposed to change their mind about? Another example is in the Gospel of Mark 1:14-15,
“Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand[Jesus Christ was in their midst]: repent ye, believe the gospel.”

Repent in that verse is again metanoeo; change your mind about Jesus. However, if John the Baptist is saying ‘Repent because the Kingdom of God is at hand,’ those listeners would race right back to the Law and try to fulfill every part of it because of their repenting heart. That is not what John was telling them. He was saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: metanoeo [change your mind] and believe [pisteo, have trust, confidence, or faith about Christ for salvation] the gospel.”
Finally, Romans 1:16 states, “for it is the power of God for salvation to every one that believeth,” really, everyone who trusts and has confidence in Jesus Christ and His redemptive work.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 24:47, "and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem"

Acts 2:37-38, "Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Acts 3:19, "Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out"

Without true repentance of personal sins, and faith the Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord, no sinner can ever be saved.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul makes it clear that his purpose is to get the believers in Corinth to repent of sins that they have committed in 2 Corinthians 12:20-21...

2Co 12:20, For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:
2Co 12:21, And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Clearly, his goal is for the Corinthian believers to repent of "uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness" and he hopes that they will do that before he arrives among them in his third visit to them.

It should be clear that "uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness" are sins...

I find it interesting that Paul mentions that those who had not repented of these sins would engage with Paul in
debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, swellings, whisperings, and tumults.

This is what I see among those who have not repented of their sins and who want to engage in debates about how repentance isn't really necessary....while in those debates they most often resort to ad hominem attacks on the person who is bringing to them the truth of holy scripture....saying that we are preaching a FALSE and PERVERTED gospel when in all reality our gospel is
true and wholesome, while their gospel of "grace as a license for immorality" is truly a gospel that is FALSE and PERVERTED.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eze 33:11, Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Eze 33:12, Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.
Eze 33:13, When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.
Eze 33:14, Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;
Eze 33:15, If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
Eze 33:16, None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.
Eze 33:17, Yet the children of thy people say, The way of the Lord is not equal: but as for them, their way is not equal.
Eze 33:18, When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.
*** Eze 33:19, But if the wicked turn from his wickedness, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall live thereby.
Eze 33:20, Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. O ye house of Israel, I will judge you every one after his ways.

What I have above in blue is scripture that tells us that if we repent of our wicked ways we will live because of it.

Above, in
green, is scripture that teaches that if you turn from righteousness, and do what is wicked and unjust, you will die because of it.

And above, in
purple, is scripture that tells of the reaction of the unregenerated heart to this information.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the above post, we find that the meaning of repentance is clearly spelled out.

Here is what Jesus said on the matter.

Luk 13:1, There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
Luk 13:2, And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
Luk 13:3, I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Luk 13:4, Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
Luk 13:5, I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.