Repentance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only way to God is by  believing on his only begotten Son, Jesus! John 14:6

In believing, we must repent of our sins, confess with our mouth and believe in our heart on the name of Jesus. Romans 10:9/10

CORINTHIANS 7:10
"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation, (context 7-13 ) not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.",
This is an about face,180° turn from, of our sinful life in mind & heart.

REPENTANCE:
There are three Greek words used in the New Testament to denote repentance. (1.) The verb metamelomai is used of a change of "mind, such as to produce regret or even remorse on account of" "sin, but not necessarily a change of heart. This word is used" with reference to the repentance of Judas (Matt. 27:3). "(2.) Metanoeo, meaning to change one's mind and purpose, as the "result of after knowledge. This verb, with (3) the cognate noun" "metanoia, is used of true repentance, a change of mind and" "purpose and life, to which remission of sin is promised." "Evangelical repentance consists of (1) a true sense of one's own guilt and sinfulness;(2) an apprehension of God's mercy in "Christ; (3) an actual hatred of sin (Ps. 119:128; Job 42:5, 6; 2" Cor. 7:10) and turning from it to God; and (4) a persistent endeavour after a holy life in a walking with God in the way of his commandments. "The true penitent is conscious of guilt (Ps. 51:4, 9), of "pollution (51:5, 7, 10), and of helplessness (51:11; 109:21," 22). Thus he apprehends himself to be just what God has always seen him to be and declares him to be. But repentance "comprehends not only such a sense of sin, but also an" "apprehension of mercy, without which there can be no true" repentance (Ps. 51:1; 130:4).

2 PETER 3:9 KJV
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us- ward, not willing that any should perish, but that ALL should come to REPENTANCE." Context 9-12

MARK 2:17 KJV
"When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Context 14-19

A promise for today from the OT,........ 2 Chronicles 7:14 - If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
There is a great red thread that runs from & through these scriptures to the new covenant; JESUS !

1 John 1:9- If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Acts 17:30 -
And the times of
this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to REPENT:

Proverbs 28:13 - He that COVERETH his sins shall not prosper: but whoso CONFESSETH and FORSAKETH them shall have mercy.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always though that repentance was part and parcel for me to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

Reactions: Keturah

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always though that repentance was part and parcel for me to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior.
It is the only way any can accept Jesus as their saviour.

JOHN 3:16 KJV
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Romans 10:9 ESV
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Luke 19:10 ESV/
For the Son of Man came to  seek and to save the lost."

1 John 2:4 ESV
Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a  liar, and the truth is NOT in him,

Mark 12:33 ESV
And to love him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices."

1 Samuel 15:22-23 ESV
( Samuel to King Saul)
And Samuel said, "Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and presumption is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has also rejected you from being king."

Hebrews 5:9 ESV
And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him,

Romans 3:23 ESV
For ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

Romans 6:11-13
So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.

Romans 12:1-2 ESV
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Hosea 6:6 ESV
For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God, rather than burnt offerings.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are examples of sinners being forgiven and saved in the bible. So no I don't entirely believe that one must repent to be saved. Examples are the whore and the thief on the cross. Jesus is judge and he will decide who is saved. Another example is the parable of the Tax Collector and Pharisee.

It's also my belief that we are all sinners and fail the perfect love of God that he desires for us.

Last edited:

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are examples of sinners being forgiven and saved in the bible. So no I don't entirely believe that one must repent to be saved. Examples are the whore and the thief on the cross. Jesus is judge and he will decide who is saved. Another example is the parable of the Tax Collector and Pharisee.
"So no I don't entirely believe that one must repent to be saved." dev553344

Stunningly unbelievable that  anyone would make this statement !

This flies in the face of the NT, Jesus work, & the epistles of the Apostles !

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"So no I don't entirely believe that one must repent to be saved." dev553344

Stunningly unbelievable that  anyone would make this statement !

This flies in the face of the NT, Jesus work, & the epistles of the Apostles !
We are saved by faith not by works. I don't follow legalistic teachings.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is by GRACE through FAITH.

We are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.