OFFICE OF POPE IN THE BIBLE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you want to discuss the scriptures in the OP regarding the office of "Pope' in the Bible???
Do you want to discuss the Eucharist that you don't believe in???
Do you want to argue about what a metaphor or symbol means???
"The flesh profits nothing." and how many times do I have to explain it does not mean what you think it means???

John 6:54, 56, 57, 58 – Jesus uses an even more literal verb, translated as “trogo,” which means to gnaw or chew or crunch. He increases the literalness and drives his message home. Jesus will literally give us His flesh and blood to eat. The word “trogo” is only used two other times in the New Testament (in Matt. 24:38 and John 13:18) and it always means to literally gnaw or chew meat. While “phago” might also have a spiritual application, “trogo” is never used metaphorically in Greek. So Scott, you cannot find one verse in Scripture where “trogo” is used symbolically, and yet this must be your argument if you are going to deny the Catholic understanding of Jesus’ words. Moreover, the Jews already knew Jesus was speaking literally even before Jesus used the word “trogo” when they said “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” (John 6:52)
For the second time, “trogo” is never used metaphorically or spiritually in Greek.
“How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” (John 6:52) for the second time, and I got no answer from you as to how you would answer this question. I even spoon fed you the verses.

John 6:61-63 – Jesus acknowledges their disgust. Jesus’ use of the phrase “the spirit gives life” means the disciples need supernatural faith, not logic, to understand His words.

John 3:6 – Jesus often used the comparison of “spirit versus flesh” to teach about the necessity of possessing supernatural faith versus a natural understanding. In Mark 14:38 Jesus also uses the “spirit/flesh” comparison. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. We must go beyond the natural to understand the supernatural. In 1 Cor. 2:14,3:3; Rom 8:5; and Gal. 5:17, Paul also uses the “spirit/flesh” comparison to teach that unspiritual people are not receiving the gift of faith. They are still “in the flesh.” (for the second time)

John 3:6 – Jesus often used the comparison of “spirit versus flesh” to teach about the necessity of possessing supernatural faith versus a natural understanding. In Mark 14:38 Jesus also uses the “spirit/flesh” comparison. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. We must go beyond the natural to understand the supernatural. In 1 Cor. 2:14,3:3; Rom 8:5; and Gal. 5:17, Paul also uses the “spirit/flesh” comparison to teach that unspiritual people are not receiving the gift of faith. They are still “in the flesh.”

Scott, you cannot explain why there is not one place in Scripture where “spirit” means “symbolic".

Jesus uses the word which is translated as “sarx.” “Sarx” means flesh (not “soma” which means body). See, for example, John 1:13,14; 3:6; 8:15; 17:2; Matt. 16:17; 19:5; 24:22; 26:41; Mark 10:8; 13:20; 14:38; and Luke 3:6; 24:39 which provides other examples in Scripture where “sarx” means flesh. It is always literal.

You cannot find a spiritual application for "sarx" (body) anywhere in the Bible. It is always literal.

I dare you to examine the context of "The flesh profits nothing."

John 6:60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?

62What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?

63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

64But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

66From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

67Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

68T Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

What words is Peter talking about? All His words in the NT? Or the words in the context of what Jesus just said?

Where does Jesus command us to spiritually partake as the equivalent of eating His Flesh and Blood, in the form of consecrated Bread and Wine? It's not Catholics with the man made tradition of a dead eucharist.
The scriptural use of parable language, which was to confound the ungodly, has evaded you. You may as well say that Jesus was literally a baby sheep. But, all things are manifest in parable to show the things that are on high, and you have not learned how to tell one from the other.

Thus, when Jesus spoke of Peter and of the spirit of the Father, many, including yourself, have not divided the word of truth properly. You have given glory to men instead of God - and you don't even see the error of doing so. So, no, He did not speak of His flesh and His blood literally, any more than He said that He was literally a loaf of bread come down from heaven. Meaning...you should be listening and learning, and not teaching and preaching - the lot of you.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a tissue:​

images

You're foaming at the mouth​

Thanks, but you should concentrate on yourself and invest in some q-tips and tape for yourself.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scriptural use of parable language, which was to confound the ungodly, has evaded you.

...many, have not divided the word of truth properly.

Inanutshell........BINGO!!!

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if I misread you and you were NOT saying that Jesus' flesh is worthless, i apologize...

Clarify that for me please...
My pleasure, and please, you don't owe me an apology, we're on the same side.

Jesus Himself said, and I quote, "The flesh profits nothing." John 6:63 This He said after explaining that it is "the spirit that gives life." Which explanation included the great metaphor of Him coming as flesh and blood, which was like bread coming down from heaven. That if any ate and drank of Him, meaning that if we become one flesh with Him (as in marriage), that we would also share with Him in being born again of the spirit of God and live forever. Clearly stating that unless we do we "have no life in" us, because living in the flesh alone was of no profit. That unless we attain the spirit of God through Him, we shall have no part of heaven and eternal life.

We become one flesh with Jesus, just as He said, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." In other words, if we hear from Him within our spirit and let Him in, He will come in and give us new life, life everlasting. This is what it means to be born again, that is, to be born again of the spirit of God. By this we know that Jesus is God, for no one can give life, except God.

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My pleasure, and please, you don't owe me an apology, we're on the same side.

Jesus Himself said, and I quote, "The flesh profits nothing." John 6:63 This He said after explaining that it is "the spirit that gives life." Which explanation included the great metaphor of Him coming as flesh and blood, which was like bread coming down from heaven. That if any ate and drank of Him, meaning that if we become one flesh with Him (as in marriage), that we would also share with Him in being born again of the spirit of God and live forever. Clearly stating that unless we do we "have no life in" us, because living in the flesh alone was of no profit. That unless we attain the spirit of God through Him, we shall have no part of heaven and eternal life.

We become one flesh with Jesus, just as He said, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." In other words, if we hear from Him within our spirit and let Him in, He will come in and give us new life, life everlasting. This is what it means to be born again, that is, to be born again of the spirit of God. By this we know that Jesus is God, for no one can give life, except God.

Rom 6:11
Eph 2:5

Amen...Dead in the flesh, Alive in Christ.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Helen and ScottA

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 6:11
Eph 2:5

Amen...Dead in the flesh, Alive in Christ.

God Bless,
Taken
No - we're not dead IN the flesh.
As Christians we are still IN the flesh - but we are dead TO the flesh and its limitations.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pope Francis says Jesus failed at the cross
On YouTube under that heading.

Perhaps you will view and comment how that is inline with him being infallible.
God Bless,
Taken
Did you actually watch that youtube video, Einstein??
I didn't think so . . .

The Pope was simply echoing the words of Paul who said that the cross is a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles. He said that "HUMANLY-SPEAKING", the cross was a failure - which it WAS.

Spiritually-speaking - it was an unmitigated VICTORY.
Maybe YOU should stay off of you tube until you learn how to discern properly . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are still IN the flesh.

You need to learn the difference between Natural things and Spiritual things.

A man can be Alive and Dead at the same time.

When you discuss Spiritual things WITH a Carnal mindset....your remarks are a fail and so also is your understanding.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to learn the difference between Natural things and Spiritual things.

A man can be Alive and Dead at the same time.

When you discuss Spiritual things WITH a Carnal mindset....your remarks are a fail and so also is your understanding.
We are all IN the flesh because we live here on earth.
However, as born again people in Christ - we are not OF the flesh.

I realize that you're a little embarrassed that you were corrected here.
No need to get persnickety . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all IN the flesh because we live here on earth.
However, as born again people in Christ - we are not OF the flesh.

I realize that you're a little embarrassed that you were corrected here.
No need to get persnickety . . .

Come on man, stop with YOUR reality pretense. IF I were embarrassed, that would be for me to decide, not you! AND IFY, I am not embarrassed.

Thanks for the Natural Carnal understanding.

MY flesh is Spiritually DEAD!!
Crucified!!

I LIVE IN the Spirit, "IN" Christ.

Sheesh!!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That if any ate and drank of Him, meaning that if we become one flesh with Him (as in marriage), that we would also share with Him in being born again of the spirit of God and live forever.

Hi Scott,
I am encouaged that we agree that this passage is about becoming one flesh with Him, as in marriage.

I am still not clear, however, if you mean we are truly united with HIs Spirit and HIS flesh... In which case we would be in agreement.. Again, can you clarify?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Scott,
I am encouaged that we agree that this passage is about becoming one flesh with Him, as in marriage.

I am still not clear, however, if you mean we are truly united with HIs Spirit and HIS flesh... In which case we would be in agreement.. Again, can you clarify?
Yes, we are joined in One flesh with Jesus, i.e., "to live is Christ." But that does not mean the flesh is glorified. On the contrary, it is sacrificed.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, we are joined in One flesh with Jesus, i.e., "to live is Christ." But that does not mean the flesh is glorified. On the contrary, it is sacrificed.

Sacrificed with Him now, raised to Glory at our ressurection

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sacrificed with Him now, raised to Glory at our ressurection
No, that is not accurate. The sacrifice was made on the cross (past tense), and we each become One with Him "each in his own order" (according to Paul), which is all we do in our own time, otherwise it has already happened at the cross. But this speaks only of the flesh...which we, like Him, lay down, that we may take it up again. And yet, that is not the body that is raised up in the ascension, but is only a foreshadowing and a demonstration of His victory over death. Otherwise, the "flesh returns to the dust, and the spirit to Him who gave it." So there is a distinct difference between the resurrection and the ascension. The flesh is not glorified, nor does it inherit the kingdom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Come on man, stop with YOUR reality pretense. IF I were embarrassed, that would be for me to decide, not you! AND IFY, I am not embarrassed.
Thanks for the Natural Carnal understanding.
MY flesh is Spiritually DEAD!!
Crucified!!
I LIVE IN the Spirit, "IN" Christ.
Sheesh!!
Your flesh isn't "dead" until you leave this world.
You may be dead "TO" the flesh - but you're still IN the flesh.

That's the Biblical truth . . .

Reactions: Helen

verzanumi24

Advanced Member
Aug 17, 2007
New Yonk City
Isaiah 22: 19-25

Isa. 22: 19

Shebna is described as having an "office" and a "station." An office, in order for it to be an office, has successors. In order for an earthly kingdom to last, a succession of representatives is required.

This was the case in the Old Covenant kingdom, and it is the case in the New Covenant kingdom which fulfills the Old Covenant. Jesus our King is in heaven, but He has appointed a chief steward over His household with a plan for a succession of representatives.

Isa. 22:20

In the old Davidic kingdom, Eliakim succeeds Shebna as the chief steward of the household of God. The kingdom employs a mechanism of dynastic succession. King David was dead for centuries, but his kingdom is preserved through a succession of representatives.

Isa. 22:21

Eliakim is called “father” or “papa” of God's people. The word Pope used by Catholics to describe the chief steward of the earthly kingdom simply means papa or father in Italian. This is why Catholics call the leader of the Church "Pope." The Pope is the father of God's people, the chief steward of the earthly kingdom and Christ's representative on earth.

Isa. 22:22

We see that the keys of the kingdom pass from Shebna to Eliakim. Thus, the keys are used not only as a symbol of authority, but also to facilitate succession. The keys of Christ's kingdom have passed from Peter to Linus all the way to our current Pope with an unbroken lineage for almost 2,000 years.

Rev. 1:18; Rev. 3:7 ; Rev. 9:1 ; Rev. 20:1

Jesus' "keys" undeniably represent authority. By using the word "keys," Jesus gives Peter authority on earth over the new Davidic kingdom, and this was not seriously questioned by anyone until the Protestant revolt 1,500 years later after Peter’s investiture.

Revelation 3:7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: `The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one shall shut, who shuts and no one opens. Almost the same wording is used in Matthew 16:19

Matt. 16:190

Whatever Peter binds or looses on earth is bound or loosed in heaven / when the Prime Minister to the King opens, no one shuts. This "binding and loosing" authority, a rabbinical term, allows the keeper of the keys to establish "halakah," or rules of conduct for the members of the kingdom he serves.

Jer. 33:17

Jeremiah prophesies that David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the earthly House of Israel. Either this is a false prophecy, or David has a successor of representatives throughout history.

Dan. 2:44

Daniel prophesies an earthly kingdom that will never be destroyed. Either this is a false prophecy, or the earthly kingdom requires succession.

Jesus wasn't just talking to Peter; He was also addressing the rest of disciples, which became the Church. Jesus never lef any man to be head of His Church, while He was bodily away.

Ephesians 5:23 (ASV)
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, and Christ also is the head of the church, being himself the saviour of the body.

The word Peter in the Greek means a small stone, but the Rock that Jesus was refering to was Himself, and a large stone.

Petros - Peter: a (piece of) rock.

Petra -
Rock: (Petros); a (mass of) rock

The Church is Jesus representative on the Earth.....He gave His Church the authority to His will on the Earth. But most who call themselves christians have been deceived into not realizing that it's not the politicians who should be influencing the Nations. They have been deceived into not believing that it's God's people who are the true leaders.

Matthew 28:19-20 (ASV)
19 Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit:
20 teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

Jesus' Church or His people are the ones who are preaching the kingdom of God.

Matthew 24:14 (ASV)
14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a testimony unto all the nations; and then shall the end come.

God's Church is not plauge with all kinds of sex crimes committed by those who responsiblity is to teach instruct the brethren. That kind of scandal was never prominent in the early Church and is not today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.