ON THE FENCE ABOUT REPENTANCE?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to bite... and respond to this in an honest and transparent way...
I think you are asking this? Does trauma/abuse/suffering/devastation affect how someone responds to or initiates into sin in their lives.. and does it numb or remove the need to repent? ( making one just act out and not care )... I probably made this more complicated than it needed to be... but I am going to answer on the premise that this is what you are asking.

I will speak openly and honestly about myself... which is something I don't usually do.. but I am feeling festive today. :D

I am 57 years old... and have been a Christian for approximately 19 years... If I was to receive a REPORT CARD from some Christians...
I would surely get a failing grade because I have been a slow learner. The problem is that I was given very bad counsel in those beginning years and I was made to think that God was angry and out to get me... I was also told that depression ( which I have suffered with for 40 years ) was a demon... so... I gave up before I even began... because I hated myself... and saw no use in trying when I had no hope of succeeding.

If someone had told me in the beginning WHO I WAS in CHRIST... and that GOD LOVED me... WAS FOR ME... and NOT against me... I believe I would be much farther along than I am now... Thankfully in the mean time... God has done miraculous work... healing the very deep and inner parts of my broken heart... the parts that no one can see...

I believe HE understands that I have had a very difficult life... He understands that I was abandoned as a child by my father.. and that he later hung himself... He understands that my mother was very mentally ill and an alcoholic... with many suicide attempts... and that she did not have the ability to nourish me as a child.. therefore I grew up raising myself and TRUSTING NO ONE.... He understands that I have had a difficult time even trusting Him. Over these twenty very LONG and painful years... I have been convinced that HE understands and LOVES me... He continues to be ever so tender and gentle with me... and I am grateful for that... He knows I am fragile... therefore He will NOT crush me.

Does trauma affect sinning and repenting? YES it does... and I believe God understands this only too well... Trauma affects how one sees themselves... and how they see God... If someone is not there at the very beginning of someone's salvation... to point them in the right direction... ( showing them who they are in Christ... and what forgiveness of their sins means )... they are just as lost when they get saved as they were when they were not... making things much more difficult to figure out.

Sadly... there are so many poisonous doctrines out there that becoming a Christian can be a very harsh and overwhelming experience... and that is sad to me.

Repenting for me is something that I need to do so that I can be right with God... I don't think about sinning... I just know in my heart when I have done something wrong... I need to fix it so that I can be at PEACE. I am grateful that His mercies are new every morning... I depend on that promise to get me through my day.

WOW.... What a confession this has been. My two cents worth for a Saturday... If I went off topic... I am sorry.

When I was a student I assumed I could climb a climbing wall. I climbed trees, 40ft in the air, hang over over hangs no problem.
I got 10ft up a climbing wall and froze. Something about the environment freaked me out. My kids got into climbing on a climbing wall and so I went along. I had to concentrate and remember what it would look like looking down 30ft up with only a few hand holds. I could be safe, no problems, I could know I was safe, but if I did not prepare to deal with my fears and weaknesses I was lost.

Jesus teaches very similarly. We know our strengths and weaknesses, what helps and what destroys, yet for a time the weak things appeal. We even get involved, and find they change us. Repentance is seeing the truth and walking the straight path because we know it works, we know what we need, and when it kicks in, it is so real.

Jesus is all in all. Jesus is the healer, the one who teaches us the way of true emotional, physical life. I grew up in a family where none spoke to who they were, but pretended to be something else. No one knew each other, but pretended they did. There was such confusion the family thought it was sorted and functioning, but it was just a stage, where each did not know whether they were loved or to love really. It is called a schizophrenic family, and the generations had a history of illness. What I did know was Jesus was real, and spoke emotional reality, and every step towards Him brought light into my life. Yes I was depressed, alone, empty, without an anchor or belonging, but Jesus had something that transcended this. I now stand with a loving wife, three grown up kids in stable loving relationships and praising the Lord.

And the cornerstone is repentance, being honest with oneself, this aloneness and lostness, and the need, an ocean of need, that He can fill.
Love is the word that is both eternal, is God himself and is blazing righteousness. But only the pure in heart get to see this.
The words of scripture only fall into place when we bow at His throne and the Holy Spirit works deeply in us. So much appears like a list of rewards, but is actually a statement of what we need to become, out of choice, out of love, out of our walk, out of His word living within our hearts. And most of all out of facing our fears and working within our limitations. Knowing our frailty, is no illusion, we are all unbelievably fragile. Our strength is always an illusion. We are the strength Christ in us makes us become.

God bless you

Reactions: amadeus and Addy

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, and very important, some false teachers here will try to convince you, you only need to say you have faith, and that is it, you do not need to show it by your actions. But judging by your questions, it appears you will not be taken in by that nonsensical, new age, easy salvation teaching.

1. Define repentance?

Being sorry for the sin/sins, making serious attempt to stop the sin, and asking forgiveness for that sin is probably not a bad idea.

2. Can you repent sins you do not remember? Repentance when becoming a Christian? And Repentance during your life as a Christian?

No, but they will be taken care of if you do them again, then repent, and if you don't do them again, then repentance is not necessary.

Not sure what the rest of #2 means.

3. Is repentance a one time thing?

As long as the sin is a one time thing, otherwise, no.

4. Do we repent first before asking Christ to forgive our sins?

I would think any order would do, as long as one immediately follows the other. If the bible makes no specification, no problem with the order.

5. Do we need to ask Christ to forgive our sins? Is forgiveness automatic for Christians?

You need to ask, even when some here claim you do not. Jesus taught us the Lords prayer, and it entails asking for forgiveness each time prayed.

6. Can you repent a habitual sin? In other words can an alcoholic or drug user become a Christian in good standing while he or she fights the addiction, desire, or lifestyle? Or does he or she have to wait until they have entirely kicked the habit or activity? If so, how long?

Yes, you can become Christian if you are making serious effort to stop the sin. Addiction takes time, and God is reasonable. Some things you will just need to try to stop. if you do them again, just ask forgiveness again, God is very patient and even teaches us to fogive time after time. Main thing is be sincere, so even if we struggle, forgiveness is there.

Even seasoned Christians sin, and have to ask forgiveness, so we are all essentually in the same boat, but you will find, if we try, we do get much better. Practice makes perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grailhunter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being sorry for the sin/sins, making serious attempt to stop the sin, and asking forgiveness for that sin is probably not a bad idea.

No, but they will be taken care of if you do them again, then repent, and if you don't do them again, then repentance is not necessary.

Not sure what the rest of #2 means.

As long as the sin is a one time thing, otherwise, no.

I would think any order would do, as long as one immediately follows the other. If the bible makes no specification, no problem with the order.

Yiu need to ask, even when some here clsim you do not. Jesus taught us the Lords prayer, and it entails asking for forgiveness.

I personally would say, yes, you can become Christian if you are making serious effort to stop the sin. Addiction takes time, and God is reasonable.
There ya go....
The thing to keep in mind is that the documented steps of salvation were not written down initially. And the guy or gal that heard Paul speak on the roadside was just as saved as we are today. And that person did not know anywhere near what we know today. No Bible back then. Just the common sense stuff lol. Just a wonderful message of hope.....Hey this guy sounds good, I believe him, and I want that relationship with God. I am going to keep listening and learn more about this God and this religion. I am going to learn to be as good as I can be.

Reactions: TheslightestID

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There ya go....
The thing to keep in mind is that the documented steps of salvation were not written down initially. And the guy or gal that heard Paul speak on the roadside was just as saved as we are today. And that person did not know anywhere near what we know today. No Bible back then. Just the common sense stuff lol. Just a wonderful message of hope.....Hey this guy sounds good, I believe him, and I want that relationship with God. I am going to keep listening and learn more about this God and this religion. I am going to learn to be as good as I can be.
Paul preached the gospel wherever he went.

Reactions: Grailhunter

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only way you can learn about God is through Jesus Christ. Take Jesus away and one's god is just a figment of the imagination, just like all the pagan gods in the world.

With the bible, through faith in Christ, meaning doing as Christ tells us to do.

Honestly, the way is pretty simple, and following through may not be as simple, but I do find it just as Christ said it would be...the yoke is light.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe in sinless perfection and have yet to meet anybody BUT Christ who was sinless...AND perfect.

Maybe you are being overly judgmental of some of the people that you have met...judging them to be sinning when in all reality they were not sinning. Often Christ has a different idea of what sin is than we do.

For example, one person judged another on these boards saying that because they were being judgmental, they were not being loving and therefore sinned...

However, the Bible says,

Phl 1:9, And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;

Reactions: Nancy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For example, one person judged another on these boards saying that because they were being judgmental, they were not being loving and therefore sinned...

I think this is directed at me.... If it is... I assume you are talking about my conversation with a member on another thread.... you used the same quote on me that you used for Nancy.

It's not my style to loosely accuse others... My conversation was a one to one... and I was talking about Legalism... and the damage of judging others.

It's not wise to carry over comments on new threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
This is an opinion…discussion…comment thread…about repentance concepts and how it all fits into salvation and our Christian life….have a blast. Starting with some basic questions….

1. Define repentance?

2. Can you repent sins you do not remember? Repentance when becoming a Christian? And Repentance during your life as a Christian?

5. Do we need to ask Christ to forgive our sins? Is forgiveness automatic for Christians?

6. Can you repent a habitual sin? In other words can an alcoholic or drug user become a Christian in good standing while he or she fights the addiction, desire, or lifestyle? Or does he or she have to wait until they have entirely kicked the habit or activity? If so, how long?

1. Define repentance?
Changing of the mind, for the better; becoming Kingdom minded.

This is where the work of the Spirit is vital, to convict us of our sins so we know when we are disobedient to the will of the Father.

No

Yes, to receive the Holy Spirit one must repent of known sins. More sins will come to mind later but to fail to repent when convicted is disobedience.

I believe God is more concerned with our changing our mind long term, so we no longer choose to sin. Asking forgiveness benefits us, keeps us humble.

If one finds themselves sinning repeatedly this may indicate a stronghold. It won't go away unless you continue to come before the Lord and ask. Like the walls of Jericho, be persistent. Continue until sin gives birth to death if you must.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
This is an opinion…discussion…comment thread…about repentance concepts and how it all fits into salvation and our Christian life….have a blast. Starting with some basic questions….

1. Define repentance?

1.To feel genuine remorse of what you know was wrong
2.Often wondered about that myself, just did it anyway
3.No ,accepting Christ is a one time thing.
4.aAsking for forgiveness is repenting.
5.No,we ask God in Christ's name,
6.Yes you can

Matthew 18:21 "Then came Peter to Him, and said, "Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?"

This is Peter suggesting to Jesus that we should forgive our brother seven times. What was Jesus reaction?

Matthew 18:22 "Jesus saith unto him, "I say not unto the, until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."

Jesus added to Peter's law, and made it seven times seventy, or four hundred ninety times. Remember that the definition of "brother", is one either of the tribes of Israel, or our family members; and if that brother repents to you, you must forgive him. There is no exceptions to this. This applies to a neighbor also. The neighbor is the person not of Israel, and of another race, or peoples, and believes in Jesus Christ. You will forgive them also, and our patience extends to each of these.

To forgive someone requires repentance, and if they don't repent you are not bound to give the forgiveness. In the name of Christ, most all believers will not carry the grudge, but will forgive them in their heart, for the forgiveness will heal the barrier between the two of you, and give peace within your mind. This is only possible by the love that we have in Christ.

The forgiveness that is the hardest to give, is the forgiveness the God requires in forgiving ourselves. It is a lot easier to forgive others, but the difficulty comes because of our own vanity and pride, when inside we place ourselves a little higher then the next guy. The ease of forgiveness come with maturity in God's Word. This is why it is important to ask forgiveness, then forgive yourselves to have your prayers answered.

Reactions: Davy

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are asking this? Does trauma/abuse/suffering/devastation affect how someone responds to or initiates into sin in their lives.. and does it numb or remove the need to repent? ( making one just act out and not care )... I probably made this more complicated than it needed to be... but I am going to answer on the premise that this is what you are asking.

I will speak openly and honestly about myself... which is something I don't usually do.. but I am feeling festive today. :D

I am 57 years old... and have been a Christian for approximately 19 years... If I was to receive a REPORT CARD from some Christians...
I would surely get a failing grade because I have been a slow learner. The problem is that I was given very bad counsel in those beginning years and I was made to think that God was angry and out to get me... I was also told that depression ( which I have suffered with for 40 years ) was a demon... so... I gave up before I even began... because I hated myself... and saw no use in trying when I had no hope of succeeding.

If someone had told me in the beginning WHO I WAS in CHRIST... and that GOD LOVED me... WAS FOR ME... and NOT against me... I believe I would be much farther along than I am now... Thankfully in the mean time... God has done miraculous work... healing the very deep and inner parts of my broken heart... the parts that no one can see...

I believe HE understands that I have had a very difficult life... He understands that I was abandoned as a child by my father.. and that he later hung himself... He understands that my mother was very mentally ill and an alcoholic... with many suicide attempts... and that she did not have the ability to nourish me as a child.. therefore I grew up raising myself and TRUSTING NO ONE.... He understands that I have had a difficult time even trusting Him. Over these twenty very LONG and painful years... I have been convinced that HE understands and LOVES me... He continues to be ever so tender and gentle with me... and I am grateful for that... He knows I am fragile... therefore He will NOT crush me.

Does trauma affect sinning and repenting? YES it does... and I believe God understands this only too well... Trauma affects how one sees themselves... and how they see God... If someone is not there at the very beginning of someone's salvation... to point them in the right direction... ( showing them who they are in Christ... and what forgiveness of their sins means )... they are just as lost when they get saved as they were when they were not... making things much more difficult to figure out.

Sadly... there are so many poisonous doctrines out there that becoming a Christian can be a very harsh and overwhelming experience... and that is sad to me.

Repenting for me is something that I need to do so that I can be right with God... I don't think about sinning... I just know in my heart when I have done something wrong... I need to fix it so that I can be at PEACE. I am grateful that His mercies are new every morning... I depend on that promise to get me through my day.

WOW.... What a confession this has been. My two cents worth for a Saturday... If I went off topic... I am sorry.

Sorry somehow I missed this....Great testimony....and an important topic.

Sometimes it is "clearer" to explain what is not being asked or said. No, I am not saying that a person with afflictions should not repent. Staying away from the "High Theology" of it, it is a fact that there is more than one type of repenting and repentance...mostly revolving around circumstances. Someone that is afflicted mentally or emotionally, or physically has various challenges in life. The fact that these persons can recognize that all things being normal, some of what they do would be a sin. The fact that they acknowledge to God and themselves that resisting some of it, is a good thing. When they pray to God and acknowledge what they are doing is not the best, that is to their credit.

I am not saying....not saying....that an afflicted person should not have this conversation with God. But is it repenting in its normal context? I am going to say no, because I do not think that God thinks you have sinned. We look at Christ forgiving us as we go along, but there is a reason for judgment day...He is going to look at our life...He going to remember our walk with Him. A Christian that is afflicted is just as good a Christian as anyone else...the challenges are to their merit. That fact is important!!! Understand this, because it should give you confidence in your relationship with Him.

As far as how some Christians have responded to you, it is the sort of thing that happens all to often. God did not fail you, people have failed you. They failed you by not understanding, they failed you by giving you bad counsel...but who of them were trained in regard to your issues...professional counselors, if you can find a good one, are better educated on the topic. All the things that Christians are taught, love, compassion, mercy, and patience, can go down the drain when faced with the various complexities of afflictions. So for what it is worth....I am sorry about how you have been treated....and you will get no judgment from me.

This is one of the reasons that I see our Christian life as a journey, a walk with Christ. We journey, we learn, we make mistakes and because we care, we learn from our mistakes. So then when we trip and fall, Christ is there to pick us up and dust us off and send us off smartly. He knows our heart...our intent...and He can help you with that intent. You trust in Him, and He will always have your back.

Then addressing the theological aspects of repenting and repentance, you are certainly welcome to chime in on that too. Our initial repentance is a recognition that we have not been living our life right...and...a desire to know God and change in accordance to His will. After that, repentance, putting it in motion...it is more of a conversation with Christ. You love Christ, you need to talk to Him about your day. Hash out the good and the bad.

For all that are afflicted on this forum, I pray for a healing and that Christ dispatches angels to help in all possible ways...And know that God loves you and I love you.

Last edited:

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Grailhunter.... I have misjudged your intentions of the purpose of this thread and for that I apologize... I thought you were setting up
a trap to discuss the concept of "sinless perfection". I apologize for my suspicions... Trust is something I am CONSTANTLY battling with... and it has led me to a very small and quiet life.

Your words have been like a healing balm upon my heart... and I THANK you for breathing LIFE upon me.

I do not feel sorry for myself in any way... shape or form... My life has been no worse than many. If there has been any benefit to the depth of my suffering... it has been HOW God has chosen and deal with me... with a very light and gentle hand... He has guided me... protected me... and lavished His love upon me as much as I have been able to accept. I have only been able to take small spoonfuls at a time it seems... but as I am beginning to understand WHO I AM in Christ... my thoughts about myself are changing from contempt to acceptance.

I am understanding in a deeper way that it is MY lack of ability to receive love from others and HIM that has made my plodding so very slow. However... He has continued to meet me wherever I am at. Again... I am grateful that His mercies are new every morning.

Blessings to you! Tenderly... Addy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Sometimes it is "clearer" to explain what is not being asked or said. No, I am not saying that a person with afflictions should not repent. Staying away from the "High Theology" of it, it is a fact that there is more than one type of repenting and repentance...mostly revolving around circumstances. Someone that is afflicted mentally or emotionally, or physically has various challenges in life. The fact that these persons can recognize that all things being normal, some of what they do would be a sin. The fact that they acknowledge to God and themselves that resisting some of it, is a good thing. When they pray to God and acknowledge what they are doing is not the best, that is to their credit.

I did not explain myself very well... I was trying to define what you were asking... I guess I made it way more difficult than it should have been... What I was trying to say... is that I do FEEL and BELIEVE that certain events (if traumatic ) can and often do... LEAD people ( not cause them... but lead them to ) sinful behaviour/living.... It all boils down to pain and self-loathing. I am not at all justifying sin.... I am fully aware of God's Righteousness... Holiness and Purity...
Many sins of the flesh are appealing to the senses.... such as addictions. I believe ( and it has been my experience ) that those who suffer deep trauma in their lives are more prone to TURNING to SIN to medicate/cover their PAIN. This is why I am so harsh with the judgemental/legalistic Christian who would dare to judge another believer over BEHAVIOUR... as they do not know the ENTIRE story.... and YES... I suppose there are those who would ABUSE His Grace ( if that is such a thing )... but I think that is more the exception than the rule... Those who simply behave badly.... and DON'T care... have issues of pride and arrogance. Anyways... an attempted clarification of my meaning.

I do not desire to overtake this thread... I have said much and so I will leave room for others to comment.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes from the Greek word Metanoia in a roundabout way. When the Apostles were working at getting the New Testament written it was being done in a Pagan language, namely Greek. As they did that they were working on finding Greek words that had similar meaning to Hebrew words. The root meaning but not necessarily the context. For example the Greek word for sin to the Christians had a religious connection. It had no religious connection to the Greeks…it was mostly was an archery term of missing the target. Their religions did not have a great concern regarding morals, neither did their gods. The Hebrew word meant both.

Likewise repent and repentance was not a religious term for the Greeks. It was associated with acknowledging they had done someone wrong and thereby were entitled to make it right. The Christians took both meaning and applied it to Christianity. They defined it as changing one’s mind…like the Hebrew if it said God repented…it meant that He changed His mind. But also repentance meant a physical change of actions. So if you believe in Christ but nothing about you or your actions change, then that is not repentance. Only that you thought about it...Then you get into the topic of what does faith mean in that time period.

Koine Greek was the common language of the day like English is the language of business today. I am sure the apostles (especially Paul, Matthew, JOhn and Peter) had at least a working knowledge of Koine Greek.

changing ones mind does mean a desire or determination to change ones action. Modern people separate the two too often, but that is not the meaning of changing ones mind. If I change my mind and decide not travel when I wasn't going to, my decision or repentance affects my actions!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgiven as a blanket forgiveness for all future sins?

Absolutely! All of our sins have been "judicially" forgiven in the saved or lost sense. but in teh sense of feeling the consequences of what sin does in this life- not always. sometime God has mercy, sometime He allows us to experience the consequences of sin for our learning. But God no longer sees sin in a believers life.

Agreed. But the physical side…put it in motion. In a Church we can accept a person that is struggling with addictions, but do we want to put him in charge of Sunday school with children or be a youth minister. How would you handle that?

Of course we do not put someone struggling with besetting sin in a position of responsibility in the body. We do not condemne them either. We "circle the wagons around them" and love on them and edify them to lift them up from that sin hopefully.

Reactions: charity and Addy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Of course we do not put someone struggling with besetting sin in a position of responsibility in the body. We do not condemne them either. We "circle the wagons around them" and love on them and edify them to lift them up from that sin hopefully.

I wish I could "like" this 100 times over... :D

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

1. Define repentance?

Hello @Gailhunter,

Thank you for the questions, I would like to answer the first one, 'Define Repentance?', for I believe that will determine the answers to the rest.

* The words, 'repentance' and 'repent' are used to translate two Hebrew words, 'nacham' (and its derivatives) and 'shub'; and the Greek words 'metamelomai' and 'metanoeo' (and their derivatives)
* The two Hebrew words:-
- 'Nacham' - means 'to sigh'. It therefore covers several human feelings. It means (1) to mourn, (2) to grieve, (3) to regret, (4) to be comforted. The feeling of regret, gives the meaning 'repent'.
- 'Shub' - means 'to turn', or 'return'. It is only translated 'repent' three times, in (1 Kings 8:47; Ezekiel 14:6 and 18:30).

* The two Greek words differ in that:-
- 'metamelomai' - which is a compound of melei 'to care, or 'be concerned', means 'an after care', ie., 'to regret'; to have 'pain of mind', rather than 'change of mind'; and 'change of purpose', rather than 'change of heart', whereas:-
- 'metanoea' - means 'to perceive afterwards', an 'after mind'. This change is always for the better, and denotes a change of moral thought and reflection.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I first heard John 3:16, a sword pierced my soul and planted the truth of the word there. I had nothing to do with it except the fact that it was me it happened to. :)

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I first heard John 3:16, a sword pierced my soul and planted the truth of the word there. I had nothing to do with it except the fact that it was me it happened to. :)

Are you denying free will ?? I don't think many people get their soul pierced at the time of conversion.. The truth of the word?? Are you able to perfectly discern the word??