• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
This is not having faith in Christ and walking in His ways. What you are describing is a distant trade to keep someone happy.

Jesus calls us to surrender our lives to Him, to open up our hearts, to admit we have totally failed and can never aspire to achieve that which He is offering. You are a long way from knowing this or confessing it.

Are you interested in entering the Kingdom of heaven and following Jesus?
Kind of it's interesting to say the least but what matters more, to be saved or passin?

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I think that the Lord does not want us to be selfish.

He is there saying that we already love ourselves quite naturally...not giving us a command to love ourselves.

As a matter of fact, the Holy Ghost has it in His word that perilous times will come in the last days because men will be, among other things, lovers of themselves (2 Timothy 3:1-5).

So I don't think that He is exemplifying it as a virtue in the command to love your neighbor as yourself. He is actually saying that people are naturally selfish (sinful, Jeremiah 17:9 and other passages). So then, He is commanding us to love others to the same extent that we love ourselves.

If we are going to do that with everyone, we would have to put ourselves last. Because we are called to love every other person equally, with the same love that we have for yours truly....me...let each person apply it to their own selves. Therefore, if I love myself 100%, I am to love two other people in my life 100% + 1000% = 200%.

And we are to love the Lord supremely.

Therefore I do believe that the acronym for JOY holds true...

Which can only be accomplished supernaturally through receiving the promise in Romans 5:5 through faith in Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:14).
Good post!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I think that the Lord does not want us to be selfish.
Agreed. I didn't mean that we should love ourselves in a vain and selfish way...
we must LIKE ourselves and accept who we are...or no one else will.

He is there saying that we already love ourselves quite naturally...not giving us a command to love ourselves.
Hmmmm. You think everybody loves themselves? Some have no self-confidence...some have no self-respect..etc.
not everybody loves themselves...
some persons hate themselves. This is very unhealthy for them and those around them and they can't help anybody else.

As a matter of fact, the Holy Ghost has it in His word that perilous times will come in the last days because men will be, among other things, lovers of themselves (2 Timothy 3:1-5).

So I don't think that He is exemplifying it as a virtue in the command to love your neighbor as yourself. He is actually saying that people are naturally selfish (sinful, Jeremiah 17:9 and other passages). So then, He is commanding us to love others to the same extent that we love ourselves.
Right.
To the same extent that we love ourselves....
Which is what I said...
BUT not everybody loves themselves---this is the problem.

If we are going to do that with everyone, we would have to put ourselves last. Because we are called to love every other person equally, with the same love that we have for yours truly....me...let each person apply it to their own selves. Therefore, if I love myself 100%, I am to love two other people in my life 100% + 1000% = 200%.

And we are to love the Lord supremely.

Therefore I do believe that the acronym for JOY holds true...

Which can only be accomplished supernaturally through receiving the promise in Romans 5:5 through faith in Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:14).
It's OK if you understand it like that.
I just think you're not applying any psychology to the human person.
I know one person that comes to mind immediately that is a born again Christian and he STILL does not like himself (although he's getting better).

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
God created air and invented ways to get around things. Air conditioners were created through means Gods son created or why isnt air free.... Electricity, an invention made by the 2 of them from conventional means.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do believe that when a person looks in the mirror and thinks, "I'm so ugly", that, while someone might look at them and say that they don't love themselves, I would say that they do indeed love themselves. If they didn't, they would like the fact that they are ugly!

To @GodsGrace

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
This is not having faith in Christ and walking in His ways. What you are describing is a distant trade to keep someone happy.

Jesus calls us to surrender our lives to Him, to open up our hearts, to admit we have totally failed and can never aspire to achieve that which He is offering. You are a long way from knowing this or confessing it.

Are you interested in entering the Kingdom of heaven and following Jesus?
Yes maybe. I'll probably or really so as I ave and continue my walk as christian or in Christ with you or God, the father to seek the kingdom of God and it's righteousness and to love others but remain me. I have already passed the 2 earthly tests and I would like to see results. If its worship desired then fine.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It think it's pretty in par. But I don't think that you should live those that are fighting you. Jesus says " live those that persecute you" but I think that scenario isn't always correct.
A couple of comments are necessary.

Jesus said to be as gentle as a dove,
but as wise as a serpent.
He never said we were supposed to be stupid and let ourselves be trampled upon.

So if someone is "fighting you", and only YOU know what you mean or who you mean...
then I'd say your right.

But right, how?
By hating them? No.
We are to love our fellow human beings that are also created in the image of God even though they may not accept this.

But we don't have to like them, do we?
I don't like everyone I love.

Agape love...God's love.
Those that fight with you and persecute you could be avoided and you would still be in God's grace IF you don't hate them.

I think we all know persons like this. Nowhere in scripture does it say we have to ACCEPT persecution if we could avoid it.

I hope this is what you meant...

Reactions: David kilmer

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I do believe that when a person looks in the mirror and thinks, "I'm so ugly", that, while someone might look at them and say that they don't love themselves, I would say that they do indeed love themselves. If they didn't, they would like the fact that they are ugly!

To @GodsGrace
Hey!
You need to study some psychology!
I don't think you understand what not loving oneself means....

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not a hill I would die on anyway.

But I do believe that humankind is sinful and that this amount to loving ourselves (being selfish). And I don't think that there is anyone who is truly exempt from this.

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States

So if someone is "fighting you", and only YOU know what you mean or who you mean...
then I'd say your right.

But right, how?
By hating them? No.
We are to love our fellow human beings that are also created in the image of God even though they may not accept this.

Agape love...God's love.
Those that fight with you and persecute you could be avoided and you would still be in God's grace IF you don't hate them.

I think we all know persons like this. Nowhere in scripture does it say we have to ACCEPT persecution if we could avoid it.

Exactly what I meant. Thank you.

Reactions: GodsGrace

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
It's not a hill I would die on anyway.

But I do believe that humankind is sinful and that this amount to loving ourselves (being selfish). And I don't think that there is anyone who is truly exempt from this.
I agree.

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States

then I'd say your right.

But right, how?
By hating them? No.

Agape love...God's love.

It is but what about sending offerings through examples of your life or things you think in your life?

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
What about lessons you learn through life like things your grandparents teach you?

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Freewill is good? The only choices a man are God or mammon. So most people go for mammon. Is that good or is it God who is good?

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." Mark 10:18
Ok. So while money is good God is better?

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
So..... If Christ is going to destroy supposedly the Earth or world... Then we need to rescue them while they are in sin and in number and come to the safety raft. I did work in this area. They need to get to the Noah's ark or house of God.

Reactions: GodsGrace

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
My eldes step grandfather was born in Americans and he said that his son created red and his oldest son created green. And other things.