Once Saved Always Saved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the one with "nominal faith" saved? I'd answer not.
But they might think they are saved; and for all practical purposes they are saved from sin and the kingdom of hell; if only for a season.

Of course they are not saved from hell in the eternal sense.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL The idea that having faith - acting on the belief - is not restful is a misnomer. It's what action is not taken as well. Many addicts testify it is the power of God that got them to kick the habit.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

I trust in God to keep me from my addictions, knowing that my own efforts are weak, but His ability is total. I rest in His ability while enduring through afflictions. Such as compulsions, cravings, like that.

I don't worry about being strong enough to resist against my flesh, I'm weak, but Christ in me is absolutely strong.

I've likewise seen God's power to deliver from addiction without any residue or withdrawal or anything. I've also experienced in my life where that's not the case, and I rely on God day to day to keep me free. But He does as I trust Him.

I can't do it myself. My flesh is a mess, and I suspect much more than many. But God's power, received by trusting Him, is sufficient.

And I've learned that my own efforts, while sometimes and partly effective, don't seem to matter one way or the other when I'm trusting God for the walk in His Spirit. Freedom is just there for me.

Again, the flesh may cry and scream and lie, but it has NO power!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and for all practical purposes they are saved from sin and the kingdom of hell;

I don't think so. They aren't born again, they are still in their sins, and still the children of Adam, corrupted by sin, and condemned by God.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you first believed it was your responsibility whether or not you have eternal life. You either believed or you didn't believe. It was up to you. So why are you concerned that continuing to believe is also your responsibility?
You should be concerned with your teaching agreeing with Scripture.

You receive Jesus, but you don't receive your daily walk?

Romans 5:1-2 KJV
1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Why am I concerned when someone teaches it's up to you to keep yourself saved? You've fallen from Grace.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was I when I first decided to believe?
All you do is believe what He tells you. And let Him know whether you want this or not. Again, you take responsibility on yourself, where the Bible places it on God.

John 1:11-13 KJV
11) He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13) Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And you teach you can overturn this.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you know that Paul said there is no boast in having faith in Jesus?

...so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Romans 3:26-27

Let's look at the whole passage . . .

Romans 3:21-28 KJV
21) But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22) Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25) Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26) To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
27) Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28) Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

This boasting in not about faith . . . Faith is what excludes boasting.

Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV
8) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.

You are not presenting this passage correctly.

You've posted a snippet, and misrepresented what it is saying.

What should we conclude from such behavior?

Oh . . . and who was talking about boasting about faith anyway? More misrepresentation!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who don't stop believing, that's who. That's why we're told to keep believing. That is where peace and rest and security are.
What a poor concept of peace and rest!

There you are, dangling over the chasm by your fingers, and you can rest for as long as you can hold on.

Some rest!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that faith (like hope and love) abides, or not?
You decide if you will retain the power of faith. Just as you decided to retain it or reject it when you were first called. If you believe the word, through the faith God provides, it will abide in you. If you don't believe it, it will fall from your heart.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a poor concept of peace and rest!

There you are, dangling over the chasm by your fingers, and you can rest for as long as you can hold on.

Some rest!
Strong faith is not dangling by one's fingertips. You should be concerned if your faith is so weak that you are dangling by your fingertips. In your theology, that means God has failed you.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You have no scriptures to back up anything that you are saying. You are using YOUR words to reason, not God’s.

/QUOTE]

I use scriptures if its necessary.
If you can think, then its not going to be necessary.
Posting verses is not going to prove anything, unless they are taught correctly.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
No, I'm still believing in it, not for it. Don't you know that you aren't a member of God's household if you don't hold firmly to the hope of the gospel in faith?

Jesus is the author and finisher of my Faith. Hebrews 12:2
"finisher".
See that part?
I can no more keep myself saved by holding unto my faith, then you can.
Think.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think so. They aren't born again, they are still in their sins, and still the children of Adam, corrupted by sin, and condemned by God.

Much love!

Consider Ephesians 2:8-9, Luke 8:12. If someone has faith, they are saved.

Not necessarily saved from hell eternally; for they believe for a while (and therefore are saved); but in time of temptation fall away.

Heretics would attempt to put forth the idea that one continues to be saved after having fallen away. It is a lie from the pit. People who believe in it will not persevere when trial or persecution comes.

Trying to keep yourself saved by holding unto faith, is a rejection of the ONE WHO SAVES.
Stop trying to be your own savior.

No; we receive Jesus by faith; and we continue to keep Him by faith.

Therefore holding on to faith, is to continue to receive the One who saves.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saved, in the context of Salvation. means completed.

LOL. Isn’t that the debate in this entire thread?

I believe what you are saying with one caveat, the believer cannot THEN let go of the Savior, cannot THEN turn their back on the Savior. With rights come responsibilities.

Sure, I can be invited to dinner and accept, completed. There is just the little matter of actually going or not.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
No; we receive Jesus by faith; and we continue to keep Him by faith.

Listen, Jbf, the born again have Jesus INSIDE US....God is IN THE BORN AGAIN. "we are the TEMPLE of the Holy Spirit".

We dont hold onto that, ..That is what has happened to the born again.

The born again, are born into God Himself.
"ONE with God and Christ".

That is what it means to be born again.

Status
Not open for further replies.