Once Saved, Always Saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The belief that works of righteousness is evidence of true faith and salvation is true. But not for faith alone or OSAS.

It is true that a living perfect faith has works, James 2:22.

It is also true that a dead faith has no works, James 2:20.

Therefore evidence of salvation from faith is a working obedient faith, not a faith alone without works that is dead.

If we are saved by faith alone. We are saved by an imperfect, dead faith.

If works are evidence of true faith.
Then faith without works can never be a true, living, perfect faith.
What it can only be is dead.

So, it is a contradiction to believe faith alone saves, and the evidence we are saved by faith alone is works.

Also, God never promised any Christian that no longer remains faithful and has no good works that he will remain saved.

Eternal life is conditional for those needing to be saved and for those already saved.

OSAS, like to use this passage as a proof text for OSAS,
Ephesians 1:13,
In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.

Supposedly being sealed one cannot be released from this promise.

The problem is God is the one who has promised salvation. And God has promised He will, never seperate Himself from you.

There is another side to this covenant.
When we agree to believe and obey the gospel.
We are agreeing to the covenant that Jesus has given in His gospel.

This is a contract between you and Jesus.
God has promised you, He will always be faithful to His contract.
But that does not mean you will be faithful to this covenant with Christ.

Therefore Only ourselves can break what God has sealed.
God will never break the seal, but we can.

Seals can be broken,
Revelation 6:1-17

We can forfeit our salvation by breaking the seal, our covenant with Christ.
That rationale is so full of holes I didn't get to the end. This is like the law: All can be summed up in just two:

First, "faith" is an act, and "works" is a reaction. Action, reaction. They are not at all the same. You have completely missed James' point.​

What James said is true, just as the act of one coming to faith on their deathbed is then dead. Again, you have missed his point. What he said, only means that salvation in those who are alive and not dead--produces fruit, which can be counted as evidence.

Lastly, the key word in "eternal life" [by definition]--is "eternal." ... So, no, "eternal life" cannot be "not eternal."​

By definition, you have only described life in this world--that which is born of the flesh, not life everlasting.​

Last edited:

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That rationale is so full of holes I didn't get to the end. This is like the law: All can be summed up in just two:

First, "faith" is an act, and "works" is a reaction. Action, reaction. They are not at all the same. You have completely missed James' point.​

What James said is true, just as the act of one coming to faith on their deathbed is then dead. Again, you have missed his point. What he said, only means that salvation in those who are alive and not dead--produces fruit, which can be counted as evidence.

Lastly, the key word in "eternal life" [by definition]--is "eternal." So, no, "eternal life" cannot be "not eternal."​
Yes eternal life cannot be not eternal. That would be faulty logic. But if you forfeit eternal life then you no longer have Gods grace.

Yes faith is an action. I 100% agree with you.
Therefore faith is never just a belief. It is always accompanied with an action.
Hence James 2::24.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a long pointless discussion with a man who goes by the name, Praise Yeshua.
I wish now I had never responded to his post. He is a very angry man. He does not believe the book of James is Gods revelation. So I got nowhere discussing how, the Bible must be without error or it cannot be believed as God breathed. I dont believe English translations are without minor errors. But that is not proof that the canon is man made like the catholic church likes to take credit for its construction. I think you're someone who can keep a cool head even if one disagrees with your beliefs. But I agree, that it is unbiblical to agree to disagree. That is nonsense when discussing the word of God.

Kool head? I have been kicked of this forum for confronting evil.
So much to learn about Christianity, it is amazing.
And it depends on how much you want to know.
You do not have to know a lot to be saved and most Bibles will get you there....it is the details that get lost.

As far as perfection of the Bible....perfection of the manuscripts? Know this for a fact, there is nothing perfect on this earth.
The manuscript that came forward from the Apostles....when they are authenticated, they are looking for the errors that should be there.

The Bible only approach has produced misunderstandings and false beliefs, because of errors in the translations and scriptures being read out of context of the time period and culture. Big errors, but they do not affect salvation.....

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lastly, the key word in "eternal life" [by definition]--is "eternal." ... So, no, "eternal life" cannot be "not eternal."
By definition, you have only described life in this world--that which is born of the flesh, not life everlasting.​
James teaches if faith is not accompanied with action ie works it is dead, James 2:20.
Therefore to saying saved by faith alone. Is to say I'm saved by a dead faith that does nothing, takes no action

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes eternal life cannot be not eternal. That would be faulty logic. But if you forfeit eternal life then you no longer have Gods grace.

Yes faith is an act. I 100% agree with you.
Therefore faith is never just a belief. It is always accompanied with an action.
Hence James 2::24.
But (again)...don't you see that means you are not even talking about eternal life? And if not eternal life--then not salvation?

Come on...you gotta see that. I mean, what would you say if I said, "always" is not "forever?" You would be right to think I'm crazy. But here you are trying to explain how "eternal" is not necessarily "eternal." Just sayin'...

Last edited:

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kool head? I have been kicked of this forum for confronting evil.
So much to learn about Christianity, it is amazing.
And it depends on how much you want to know.
You do not have to know a lot to be saved and most Bibles will get you there....it is the details that get lost.

As far as perfection of the Bible....perfection of the manuscripts? Know this for a fact, there is nothing perfect on this earth.
The manuscript that came forward from the Apostles....when they are authenticated, they are looking for the errors that should be there.

The Bible only approach has produced misunderstandings and false beliefs, because of errors in the translations and scriptures being read out of context of the time period and culture. Big errors, but they do not affect salvation.....

O, I didn't know you believe God speaks to man outside His Holy Word.

Many calvinist's think this.

I've heard them say, even muslims that may never read the gospel in their lives will be saved. Because God will give them the Miraculous regeneration of the Holy Spirit if they are of the elect.

You can keep a cool head and still defend the faith without compromise. Paul did. I image the apostle Paul could get kicked off a forum like this. I have been myself. I like this forum so far. They seem to allow you to condemn others teaching, if you believe they are teaching false doctrine.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James teaches if faith is not accompanied with action ie works it is dead, James 2:20.
Therefore to saying saved by faith alone. Is to say I'm saved by a dead faith that does nothing, takes no action
And he was correct---I explained that.

But that in a living breathing person, only means they do not have saving faith--meaning, they are not saved. It does not prove anything regarding salvation--except that such a person is in fact, not saved. Which is to say...it has nothing to do with salvation being eternal or not.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And he was correct---I explained that.

But that in a living breathing person, only means they do not have saving faith--meaning, they are not saved. It does not prove anything regarding salvation--except that such a person is in fact, not saved. Which is to say...it has nothing to do with salvation being eternal or not.
. I also don't believe you can know if salvation can be lost from James 2. What it does teach is salvation cannot be obtain without obedience, works

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Agreed.
Some people, a lot of people believe that Good Deeds are not important in general or important prestaining to our relationship with God or even going to heaven. Justified by faith.....right? Because Paul said this some people believe that he did not believe that Good Deeds are important. But a close reading of the Scriptures will prove this wrong.

But it is Christ that put the nails in the coffins for those that don't do Good Deeds. Read the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats and note what happens to those that did not do Good Deeds. Good Deeds do not justify you or get you to heaven....LOL...But not doing them can get you to hell.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed.
Some people, a lot of people believe that Good Deeds are not important in general or important prestaining to our relationship with God or even going to heaven. Justified by faith.....right? Because Paul said this some people believe that he did not believe that Good Deeds are important. But a close reading of the Scriptures will prove this wrong.

But it is Christ that put the nails in the coffins for those that don't do Good Deeds. Read the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats and note what happens to those that did not do Good Deeds. Good Deeds do not justify you or get you to heaven....LOL...But not doing them can get you to hell.
I agree with 99% of what you just taught. Except I believe the scriptures do teach that works of righteousness do justify us,
James 2:24,
You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone?

You are correct that my work without Gods grace could never justify me.
But if I desire for God to justify me I must meet His requirements by doing works of obedience,

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm having low blood sugar, gotta take care of the needs of the flesh, see y'all later!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
O, I didn't know you believe God speaks to man outside His Holy Word.

Many calvinist's think this.

I've heard them say, even muslims that may never read the gospel in their lives will be saved. Because God will give them the Miraculous regeneration of the Holy Spirit if they are of the elect.

You can keep a cool head and still defend the faith without compromise. Paul did. I image the apostle Paul could get kicked off a forum like this. I have been myself. I like this forum so far. They seem to allow you to condemn others teaching, if you believe they are teaching false doctrine.

That is great. I am not a fundamentalist. Formal education for most of my life and it spans five countries. The Bible documents the first 65 years of Christianity....and it is abbreviated and the Bible is not going to explain the history or culture. History, there is a lot
that goes on before the New Testament that affects the conditions of what is going on during the New Testament.

Since then there is about 2000 years of Christian history and a very active God interacting with mankind. Did He...the Holy Spirit teach us things that are different than some of the things in the New Testament. It appears we were taught that slavery is wrong.
polygamy continued for a thousand of years after Christ, so we were taught that that was wrong. We were taught that a ladies should have the right to choose their husbands and are equal shares in the promise of Christ and should be equal in the church.

Read this one slowly because it is going to blow your mind. No where in the Bible is there a requirement for a wedding ceremony. Certainly marriages occurred, most likely due to it being a custom of the Gentiles....The first documented Christian wedding occurs 8 centuries after Christ. So we learnt that wedding ceremonies are a good thing. But the church still did not require them....until....
it was the Protestants....1500's that first required a wedding to be married. The Catholics had a very negative view of sex and marriage....considering sex in a marriage a sin......LOL...But after the Protestants made it a requirement the Catholics more or less had to follow their lead.

There is a lot of this stuff that people do not know. But as it is God has continued to teach us things.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with 99% of what you just taught. Except I believe the scriptures do teach that works of righteousness do justify us,
James 2:24,
You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone?

So there are different options about the process of salvation.
For me, The decision that Christ is our savior is first and foremost. Then repentance...Baptism....Bread and Wine ritual.
So your saved...so at that point you are justified.....but what are you going to do as a Christian....is it like a club? Sign on and go on about your way? Love your neighbor, is that a thought or an action? Put things in motion.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but OSAS tends to accompany the belief of faith onlyism
Fair enough.

It's just that it appears to be adding to the confusion. You see, "Saved" rightfully assumes saved, rather than, well, maybe. Saved is God's conclusion, not some point along the path of seeking Him--which speaks of God. Certainly, His yay is yay.

Faith, on the other hand, is simply a tenet of salvation, one that is said to bring salvation or how one comes to salvation. But salvation is the end--it is not the journey, it is the destination. And that destination has no halfway point, no yay is nay.

The problem is is not that God goes back and forth with yay or nay--that issue is not with God...but with people.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you saying you never sin or are you saying you are only saved if when you die you have no sin.

First, I believe the Bible teaches that many sins can condemn us if they are not confessed and or forsaken (See: 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1, 1 John 1:7, Proverbs 28:13). But there are sins that do not lead unto spiritual death, though. So I see Sinless Perfection as putting away sins such as sins that do not lead unto death (and not just sins unto death alone). So Sinless Perfection is not exactly a salvation issue (because it would include putting away sins NOT unto death). But believers do need to in time overcome “sins unto death” in this life time or they are not going to make it into God’s Kingdom. But only God can determine this for each believer and in knowing their heart and at what point in their life they need to achieve this. It also takes time to mature in the Lord and to overcome sin for most believers. This is what I believe God’s grace is for (See: Ephesians 5:25-27, and Titus 2:14).

Sins Not Unto Death:

Important Note:

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to trivialize sin. I believe after we are saved by God's grace that we must live holy as a part of God's plan of salvation. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. Believers cannot justify sin that leads to spiritual death, condemnation, or hellfire. For I believe we should obey the Lord in all things. For I want to stress that there are grievous sins (or death sins) like murder, hate, adultery, lying, etc. that can lead even a believer to being condemned in the Lake of Fire if such sins are not repented of (i.e. if these sins are not confessed or forsaken). I am not Catholic or Orthodox. I just believe the Bible and the Bible alone as my final Word of authority.

Anyways,...

Here is my biblical case for sins that do not lead unto death:
#1. 1 John 5:17 mentions the "sin not unto death."

In context to 1 John 5: This would be talking about confessed grievous sin that one is striving to overcome with the Lord's help (1 John 2:1) (1 John 1:9) (Romans 13:14). In 1 John 5, the brethren are praying for this believer to have victory (life) over their sin as this believer confesses their sin (Note: Grievous sin are sins the Bible warns with punishment by hellfire, or spiritual death, etc.; These would be sins like murder, hate, adultery, theft, idolatry, etc.). If these sins are confessed with the intention of forsaking them (so as to overcome them), the individual is not abiding in spiritual death.

#2. Paul ignores the warnings of the Spirit and Psalms 19:12.
Psalms 19:12 says, "Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults." I believe these would be faults of character or minor errors that a person might make with people. Example: A person may not be a great listener, and they do not allow others to speak like they should. By not listening to others may come off a little like they do not care (even though they care in their own way or a different way). Paul wanted to go to Jerusalem. The Spirit warned Paul not to go. He was still determined to go because he loved His fellow Jews and wanted them to know the love of Jesus. The Spirit told the brethren that Paul will be imprisoned by his going to Jerusalem. The brethren warned Paul not to go. They were in tears and loved him and begged him not to go. But Paul did not listen. He would not hear them. He did not want to hear it. Fault of character. Hidden fault. Minor error of his character. It is not something that condemned him (See Acts of the Apostles 21, and read this article here by Ray Stedman; Note: There is even a better write up than this one by Bible commentator James Boice here; Please keep in mind I do not share their views on Soteriology, though; I merely agree with their view on what happened with Paul in Acts of the Apostles 21).

#3. The Command to Be Baptized.
Paul says Christ sent him not to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17). If it was essential to salvation, then why would Paul say something like this? In 1 Peter 3:21: Peter says baptism is not for the putting away of the filth of the flesh. If you were to turn to 2 Corinthians 7:1, you would see that it uses similar wording ("filthiness of the flesh") that is clearly in reference to sin. So Peter is saying that baptism is not for the putting away of "sin" [i.e. filth of the flesh]. In other words, baptism is not a command that if disobeyed, leads to spiritual death.

#4. The Least of These Commands in Matthew 5:19.
We know that 1 John 5:16-17 declares that there is a sin not unto death. So if this is the case, we should expect to see other testimonies of this kind of thing in God's Word.

“Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:19).
This was said by the Lord Jesus at the sermon on the mount. Jesus was not referring to the 613 Torah laws but He was referring to the New Commands He was giving at the sermon on the mount, etc.; Granted, I am not encouraging anyone to break the Lord's commands (even the commands that do not appear to be a major violation of loving God and others), but our Lord's words have to still hold true in Matthew 5:19. Meaning, there are going to be believers who are in the Kingdom and they taught others that they could break the least of Jesus' commandments. How can they be in the kingdom?

What could be a possible least command that Jesus is referring to? Well, one possible example would be the command to Rejoice when men persecute you or falsely accuse you of evil in Matthew 5:11-12. For it does not seem like a major violation of loving God and others if we fail to obey this instruction.

(Continued in next post):

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Rollo Tamasi

(Continued from previous post):

#5. Punishment of sins in earthly courts vs. a sin that leads to hellfire (Matthew 5:22). Jesus described to us the difference between death-sins vs. non-death sins in Matthew 5:22.

“But I say to you that everyone who continues to be angry with his brother or harbors malice against him shall be guilty before the court; and whoever speaks [contemptuously and insultingly] to his brother, ‘Raca (You empty-headed idiot)!’ shall be guilty before the supreme court (Sanhedrin); and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of the fiery hell.” (Matthew 5:22) (AMP).
The words in blue above are “non-death sins” because they are punishment in earthly courts. The words in red above is a “death sin” because it is punishment in hellfire in the afterlife.

#6. Accidental manslaughter and being able to flee to cities of refuge (Deuteronomy 19:1-13); Contrast this with intentional murder which results in capital punishment (See: Deuteronomy 19:21, Numbers 35:31).

#7. Adam’s Inherited Sin (Involving babies that die).
I believe Adam’s Inherited Sin Leads all mankind to physically die. Adam’s sin also opened the door for all men and women to fall into spiritual death and condemnation. But we know according to Scripture and the goodness of God that if a baby dies in this world, they are saved. For King David knew that he would see his unborn child again (2 Samuel 12:23), and Jesus says that children are of the Kingdom of God (Luke 18:16). So how are they saved if Adam brought death? Well, Jesus reversed the curse of spiritual death involving the sin of Adam. The Promised Messiah was the promise of God of salvation to men. So if a baby dies, they will be saved. God is not willing that any should perish. Jesus died for our sins because God loves us. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. But the point here is that if babies are saved, and they are doomed to die physically at some point in their life (either as a baby or an adult) by Adam’s sin, we should realize that the stain of spiritual death from Adam did not take hold onto the lives of babies because of the Messiah. So the sin of Adam passing down spiritual death does not harm a baby. It’s a sin not unto death. Now, the fallen nature was passed down, and thus when that baby grows up, they will sin when they are faced with the knowledge of good and evil. But this is why Jesus came. To set the captives free from sin and death. For Jesus not only came to forgive our sins, but He came to give us a new heart, and new desires to live a new life in Him. A life that is not enslaved to grievous sin that brings spiritual death. Side Note: Now, did spiritual death take hold upon Adam? I believe it did because God said that he would die in the day he would eat of the tree (he was commanded to not eat). Did Adam drop dead physically when he ate of the wrong tree? Surely not. So this means Adam died spiritually. Also, I believe the promise of the Messiah Jesus reversed the curse of Adam. For Jesus took on our sins in the Garden and died in our place for our sins. This was spiritual. So if Jesus never died for our sins, all of mankind would be doomed spiritually (including babies that die). Jesus is the Savior. Jesus deserves all the glory.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So your saved...so at that point you are justified.....but what are you going to do as a Christian....is it like a club? Sign on and go on about your way? Love your neighbor, is that a thought or an action? Put things in motion.
Good points worthy of discussion.

The greatest confusion here by most, is applying human worldly logic to that little phrase "So you're saved"...without applying God's own terms to what it actually means. I mean, Paul was all things to all men that he might save some, and God gave His only Son--the Eternal God set the terms according to His likeness--not man's.

So, if we are not kidding ourselves, not mistaken as to what salvation by God's eternal terms are, but quite certain rather than unsure--if God says one is "saved", then it is forever, as He is forever. That is eternal life. That is God's salvation. That is the nature of God.

The point is, this should not even be a discussion about coming to salvation, only about those who have attained it--and only one who is not sure if they are saved would ever question it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezra

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Tmothy 4:7-8;

Second, 2 Timothy 4:7-8 is saying a similar thing as 1 Timothy 6:12, but 2 Timothy 4:7-8 is saying that Paul has ran his course, though.

Paul tells Timothy to fight the good fight of faith and lay hold on eternal life.

1 Timothy 6:12 says,
“Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.”

Why do we have to fight the good fight of faith in order today hold on eternal life if it is a done deal like in Once Saved Always Saved?
Philippians 2:12 says work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
Romans 8:13 says, “For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.”
Galatians 5:24 says that they that are Christ’s have crucified the affections and lusts. Do you believe this verse?

You said:
Nowhere does the Bible say that a Christian in this life will ever be completely perfect—that is, free from all sin (1 John 1:8).

Sinless Perfectionism is dealing more with putting away sins that do not lead unto spiritual death (as I mentioned to you before). But the Bible does teach we can be perfect in this life. To check out my biblical case for Sinless Perfection, see here. But again, Sinless Perfection is not a salvation issue. However, at the bare minimum believers need to overcome sins that lead to spiritual death in order to make it into God’s Kingdom, though.

As for 1 John 1:8:

What is helpful in understanding 1 John 1:8 is looking at its immediate context. 1 John 1:10 says if we say we have not sinned. 1 John 1:10 switches gears from 1 John 1:8 in regards to time; John talks about the declaration on committing sin in verse 8 (which is present tense) to a declaration on committing sin being a past declaration (with verse 10). Verse 10 is saying there are people who said they have not sinned (past tense). This is clearly a gnostic belief. Why? Well, most believers today hold to the idea that they have sinned as a part of their old life before coming to Christ (Regardless of whether they are “OSAS,” a “Sin and still be saved” type believer, or a “Conditional Salvationist”). So this clearly is a “gnostic belief” that John was warning the brethren about (See 1 John 2:26). 1 John 1:8 is a present declaration of sin. It is saying if we say we have no sin when we do sin (present tense). This has to be the interpretative understanding of this verse because 1 John 2:4 says if we say we know Him and do not keep His commandments we are a liar and the truth is not in us. The OSAS's interpretation on 1 John 1:8 does not work because it conflicts with a normal reading on 1 John 2:3-4. You cannot always be in sin (breaking God's commands) as a part of 1 John 1:8 and yet also fulfill 1 John 2:3 that says we can have an assurance of knowing Him if we keep His commandments. Especially when 1 John 2:4 says we are a liar and the truth is not in us if we break his commandments. In other words, if the OSAS interpretation on 1 John 1:8 was true, then I would be damned if I do by obeying God's commands (1 John 1:8) and yet I would be damned if I don't by not obeying God's commands (1 John 2:4).

In fact, the New English Translation says this for 1 John 1:8,

"If we say we do not bear the guilt of sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8 NET).​

In other words, this verse is saying that if a person sins and says they do not bear the guilt of sin (in the sense that they will not have to face any wrath or Judgment from God over their sin) then they would be deceiving themselves and the truth would not be in them. This is exactly what the Eternal Security proposes. They are saying that they do not bear the guilt of any sin (destruction of their soul and body in hell fire) if they do sin because they believe their future sins are paid for by Jesus. They are saying, they do not bear the guilt or the punishment of sin at the final Judgment because of their belief on Jesus. In short, 1 John 1:8 is a denial of the existence of sin on some level. “If we say we have no sin (in the sense that it does not exist) we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.” (1 John 1:8). Christian Scientists think sin is an illusion and does not exist at all. So this verse would apply to them. Eternal Security Proponents and those who deny that “Sin Can Separate a Believer from God” deny the existence of sin partially. They believe sin exists physically but they do not believe sin exists for them on a spiritual level because Jesus has forgiven them of all their sin by their belief on Jesus. In fact, to see just how silly your argument actually is for 1 John 1:8, you would have to believe that you are sinning right now at this very moment in order for such a verse to be true because 1 John 1:8 is speaking in the present tense.

John prescribes that we do not think that sin is an illusion, and we are automatically saved, but John is telling us to "sin not" and go to our advocate Jesus Christ (1 John 2:1), and confess our sins so as to be forgiven of sin and to be cleansed of all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). How can you confess and be forgiven of sin if all your future sin is paid for? It makes no sense.

The OSAS Proponent might say that John is talking about a break of fellowship by one's sins and not a loss of salvation, but that would not be consistent with Scripture. 1 John 5:12 says he that has the Son has life, and he that does not have the Son does not have life.

Reactions: Ezra