Opinions about arrogance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

paul1234

Jan 20, 2011
england
After being referred to as pompous and arrogant by a member of Christianityboard, I become very interested in the subject. The person who sees an arrogant tone in my posts and perhaps arrogant words, also made another point that I thought was really interesting - arrogance is subjective. So, seeing arrogance in another person may only be seen by the observer. I would really appreciate if this thread did not turn into a slam-fest on people you think are arrogant - instead, stick to behaviors.

An exception to this parameter is comments on my behavior. If you believe I am behaving arrogantly on this board. let me know - but be specific. I will try not to be defensive and I may ask more questions to get as much information as possible. If you do not like me, please by objective or do not post. I am not asking to be abused - I am asking for insight.

One more thing - I want to let you all know that I believe that the ability to see personal sin in others is solely for the purpose of identifying sins in ourselves. The stronger you feel about another person's personal sin, the more likely it is rooted within yourself or the behavior has wounded you in the past and left behind maladaptive behavior that need attention. Thought I should be upfront.

Thanks!
[/

World English Dictionary arrogant (ˈærəɡənt) adj having or showing an exaggerated opinion of one's own importance, merit, ability, etc; conceited; overbearingly proud: an arrogant teacher ; an arrogant assumption [C14: from Latin arrogāre to claim as one's own; see arrogate ]

SaturdayPastor

Jul 28, 2011
Hmmm...being bold to preach has nothing to do with being arrogant.

I don't know you and I am too lazy to look up your old posts...if you are concerned that your tone may be arrogant...you probably are, I'm just saying. Is it a sin? Sure it is...Should I hate you and hit you with a stick? Nope, I don't remember that in the Book anywhere. Again, if you are concerned, fix yourself. Our job (one of them!) is to be certain that our Walk doesn't cause others to stumble. So, if your behaviour is causing your brother frustration maybe you are leading him to sinful thought. Change yourself and your approach to one of encouragement and leave the rest.

Jesus was only 'rough' with the people who were in power and were supposed to lead others. For the weak, He had love and compassion. He was only 'arrogant' toward Satan.

Can we do better than His model?

I think arrogance is a sign of insecurity. I used to work in construction, long ago, and I remember watching the contractors and foreman on the job site. The tradesmen who got promoted to leadership positions were quiet, yet commanded authority. They were not arrogant.......the arrogant men were not promoted.

I think mature people are secure in themselves.....they are not afraid of disagreement or strife......nor do they go out looking for it.

I think there is a big difference between arrogance and boldness.....the first is like yapping dog, trying to look ferocious hiding under a table; the other is a leader of men.

↑↑ this ↑↑