Paralambanetai

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This exact Greek word is only used twice in the NT. Both times are in the verse ( in different gospels) about one taken and one left.

I don’t know Greek and am confused as to what the tag/suffix “etai” means.
I know what paralambano means but that’s not the word used. It’s paralambanetai.

I mean, it still means to come alongside and forcibly seize, but…
Oh, I use the word "paralambano" all the time. I paralambanoed my pastor's sermon today without falling asleep.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok. :)

Given his long held habit of eyeing the Ukraine, you're apparently not the only one who's ever wondered about it.

16473120-10158317293285571-6370883971489078774-n_orig.jpg
Speaking of putin and russia check out what the three major super powers of the world are doing .
Just watch this video .
Do you remember where God once told the jews , ye have become worse than the nations around you .
Well take a peek at this .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking of putin and russia check out what the three major super powers of the world are doing .
Just watch this video .
Do you remember where God once told the jews , ye have become worse than the nations around you .
Well take a peek at this .

Yeah, I watched it.

Not sure how prophetic it is, but it's certainly par for the course for the globalists who are back in power now. I've kinda grown used to it, frankly. But the Army received so much backlash for those adds that they had to disable the comments to them, only it apparently hasn't stopped them from continuing with the add campaign.
The Army disabled comments on new recruiting commercials amid criticism it’s too ‘woke’

Gotta admit. The China and Russian military adds are pretty bad ass, though. :)

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I watched it.

Not sure how prophetic it is, but it's certainly par for the course for the globalists who are back in power now. I've kinda grown used to it, frankly. But the Army received so much backlash for those adds that they had to disable the comments to them, only it apparently hasn't stopped them from continuing with the add campaign.
The Army disabled comments on new recruiting commercials amid criticism it’s too ‘woke’

Gotta admit. The China and Russian military adds are pretty bad ass, though. :)
We should take heed to what he said at the end . The only SOLUTION is REPETANCE . Its time to preach the one true gospel
and do some correcting .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This exact Greek word is only used twice in the NT. Both times are in the verse ( in different gospels) about one taken and one left.

I know what paralambano means but that’s not the word used. It’s paralambanetai.

“etai”, all I can find is "strong", but I think that is what the Hebrew name surname “etai” itself means

I find paralambano as meaning to "receive" or "Collect" or like :take" in Joseph taking Mary as his wife in Matthew 1:20.
"Forcibly seize" sounds pretty harsh :eek: Although, I can see it maybe being like this like if your baby was tottling towards the street or like that.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Ronald D Milam

Jan 12, 2022
Clanton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is what we don’t set a date on because no man knows when it will happen. But there surely will be men on earth in the tribulation who can come pretty darn close to being able to set a date for when Christ comes.

Actually, the no man knows the day nor the hour can only be for a Pre Trib Rapture. I think we will know exactly when the 1260 Day of the Lord is coming, that is the day an Asteroid is going to strike this earth (Rev. 8 Mountain cast into the sea) and the earth has the ability to see this coming ahead of time. That is what Jesus told us in Luke when he said look to the skies, and that the people would fear the roaring seas etc. So, the 1260 will be known. The Second Coming has to be known also, the Beast will rule for exactly 1260 days, so from the first day he conquers Israel he has exactly 1260 days before the Second Coming. The only day nor hour that can't be known in the Pre Trib Rapture.

The Feast of Trumps always ended the Harvest and started the New Year. But it came via a Lunar moon timing, so it could happen over a period of two days. Israel had to send out two-witnesses to spy out when this new moon would arrive and then send word back when it was spotted, they would then start the Trumps blasting. They would blow 9 sets of 11 trumps or 99, then the "LAST TRUMP" (100th) would sound longer and louder and that trump (LAST TRUMP) officially ended the Harvest (think Church Age). So, the reason we can't know the day nor hour is referring to the Harvest in Israel which ends with the Last Trump and that always happened over a two day period of time.

Jesus fulfilled the Passover, Unleavened Bread (no sin) and the Firstfruits (raised from the dead) and we are now in the Summer Harvest (Church Age). The Feast of Trumps will end the Church Age, and the Israel has to ATONE (Feast of Atonement) before the 70th week ends. Then the Feast of Tabernacles (tabernacle means to DWELL with God) comes and Jesus fulfills that by setting up his 1000 year kingdom in Israel.

The 7 Feasts were Holy Convocations, which means Dress Rehearsals.

Although… Paul said to the Galatians, remember, I told you, the man had to appear first…

Yes, BEFORE the Day of the Lord but there also must be a DEPARTURE (of the Church, not from the Faith) before the Day of Gods Wrath falls also.

Since you like looking up the root words you may like this site. Matthew 24 - 1611 King James Bible KJB Original Authorized Version AV King James Version KJV Strong's Concordance Online Bible Study

Last edited:

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“etai”, all I can find is "strong", but I think that is what the Hebrew name surname “etai” itself means

I find paralambano as meaning to "receive" or "Collect" or like :take" in Joseph taking Mary as his wife in Matthew 1:20.
"Forcibly seize" sounds pretty harsh :eek: Although, I can see it maybe being like this like if your baby was tottling towards the street or like that.

It doesn't mean violent or harmful force, just that some force is required to lift someone into the air.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

"-etai" is the ending that signifies the third person (he, she, or it) in the present tense. It also signifies the passive (in other words, he, she or it is having something done to him/her/it). Translated into English, it becomes "he/she/it is (being) forcibly taken" So the "-etai" bit conveys the meaning "he/she/it is (being)". Greek is a very tidy language - it only needs four letters to say something that requires two or three words in English!

In the present though.. it's not a passage speaking of the present..

In Greek, the present tense is often used for dramatic effect, even when speaking of events that happened in the past or will happen in the future.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I jumped in late and I was going to explain the meaning of "etai" but I see that others have done well already. I created a video that speaks about this time period listed in my signature as "Days of the Son of Man." But the main idea is this. At some point in our future, on the day that the son of man is revealed a series of events will take place. One of the first events in the series is the harvest of the Jesus-followers from the earth to the sky, where Jesus will meet them. At that moment, two men will be asleep in bed; one will be taken, the other will be left. Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken the other left. Jesus explains that this event will be a complete surprise to everyone. Because, at that time, life will seem very normal and routine.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I jumped in late and I was going to explain the meaning of "etai" but I see that others have done well already. I created a video that speaks about this time period listed in my signature as "Days of the Son of Man." But the main idea is this. At some point in our future, on the day that the son of man is revealed a series of events will take place. One of the first events in the series is the harvest of the Jesus-followers from the earth to the sky, where Jesus will meet them. At that moment, two men will be asleep in bed; one will be taken, the other will be left. Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken the other left. Jesus explains that this event will be a complete surprise to everyone. Because, at that time, life will seem very normal and routine.

I’ll have a look at those videos, thanks!
I agree it will be a surprise. Like when Jesus was born and all were in unrest when the magi came and asked where He was. And I think many will be left for more purifying and will then understand what they didn’t and weren’t able to bear yet. They become the tribulation saints.
It is all hidden in plain sight in scripture. The only way one could miss it is if they aren’t yet ready to bear it.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the no man knows the day nor the hour can only be for a Pre Trib Rapture. I think we will know exactly when the 1260 Day of the Lord is coming, that is the day an Asteroid is going to strike this earth (Rev. 8 Mountain cast into the sea) and the earth has the ability to see this coming ahead of time. That is what Jesus told us in Luke when he said look to the skies, and that the people would fear the roaring seas etc. So, the 1260 will be known. The Second Coming has to be known also, the Beast will rule for exactly 1260 days, so from first the day he conquers Israel he has exactly 1260 days before the Second Coming. The only day nor hour that can't be known in the Pre Trib Rapture.

The Feast of Trumps always ended the Harvest and started the New Year. But it came via a Lunar timing, so it could happen over a period of two days. Israel had to send out two-witnesses to spy out when this new moon would arrive and then send word back when it was spotted, then the Trumps would start blasting. They would blow 9 sets of 11 trumps or 99, then the "LAST TRUMP" (100th) would sound longer and louder and that trump (LAST TRUMP) officially ended the Harvest (think Church Age). So, the reason we can't know the day nor hour is referring to the Harvest in Israel which ends with the Last Trump and that always happened over a two day period of time.

Jesus fulfilled the Passover, Unleavened Bread (no sin) and the Firstfruits (raised from the dead) and we are now in the Summer Harvest (Church Age). The Feast of Trumps will end the Church Age, and the Israel has to ATONE (Feast of Atonement) before the 70th week ends. Then the Feast of Tabernacles (tabernacle means to DWELL with God) comes and Jesus fulfils that by setting up his 1000 year kingdom in Israel.

The 7 Feasts were Holy Convocations, which means Dress Rehearsals.

Yes, BEFORE the Day of the Lord but there also must be a DEPARTURE (of the Church, not from the Faith) before the Day of Gods Wrath falls also.

Since you like looking up the root words you ay like this site. Matthew 24 - 1611 King James Bible KJB Original Authorized Version AV King James Version KJV Strong's Concordance Online Bible Study

It’s nice to meet you Ronald! Don’t think I’ve run across you yet. I will look into what you say about departure…makes utter sense to me and if it could have been better translated it will clear up a lot for me! I have to look into that passage. I only remember that I could see they thought they had been left. I always wondered if it had to do with that odd verse about seeing many of their dead walking around and that someone had convinced them that was the first resurrection already, but that doesn’t really make sense. Makes more sense that someone convinced them the tribulation had begun because of persecution…

Reactions: Ronald D Milam

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It’s all so much for my brain. I no longer remember if it was paralambano or harpazo that had a seizing connotation. Think it was harpazo.
This is paralambano.

1. to take to, to take with one's self, to join to one's self
    1. an associate, a companion
    2. metaph.
      1. to accept or acknowledge one to be such as he professes to be
      2. not to reject, not to withhold obedience.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In elementary nutshell...

Paralambano - association
Paralambanetal - claiming the thing of association

Human men can establish their association, WITH God, or not.
God can rightfully Claim that which is established in association, WITH God.

Same effect, of men establishing their association, WITH Satan...
Satan can rightfully Claim that which is established in association, WITH Satan.

Ronald D Milam

Jan 12, 2022
Clanton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s nice to meet you Ronald! Don’t think I’ve run across you yet. I will look into what you say about departure…makes utter sense to me and if it could have been better translated it will clear up a lot for me! I have to look into that passage. I only remember that I could see they thought they had been left. I always wondered if it had to do with that odd verse about seeing many of their dead walking around and that someone had convinced them that was the first resurrection already, but that doesn’t really make sense. Makes more sense that someone convinced them the tribulation had begun because of persecution…
Nice to meet you sister, I will make it easy on you I have a sorta blog I did on this a few years ago, but its basically just touching on Dr. Tommy Ice's teaching on this. (American Theologian)

Is the Falling Away a False Teaching?

I have evolved with much study on this. I used to argue to all that there had to be this great Falling Away also. All because of this one passage. 2 Thessalonians 2:3. I do agree that the world gets far more evil towards the (now) end, as foretold in Romans chapter 1, and as Peter said, there will be scoffers in the last days etc. etc. But I do not think the True Church can “Fall Away”, either you are of Christ/God or you are not, and will get left behind by the Bridegroom. Anyway, here is my understanding of 2 Thessalonians 2:3.

“Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction…” – 2 Thessalonians 2:3 (NASB) This verse is used by many and they say it implies a “Falling Away” from the faith. But a guy named Tommy Ice has shed some exceptional light on this passage.

Mr. Ice has pointed out that the Greek noun, apostasia, is used only twice in the New Testament. The other occurrence is in Acts 21:21 where it states that an accusation was made against Paul that he was “teaching all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake [apostasia] Moses.”

The word is used in verb form a total of 15 times in the New Testament, and only three of these have anything to do with a departure from the faith (Luke 8:13, 1 Timothy 4:1, and Hebrews 3:12). In other settings, the word is used for departing from iniquity (2 Timothy 2:19), departing from ungodly men (1 Timothy 6:5), departing from the temple (Luke 2:27), departing from the body (2 Corinthians 12:8), and departing from persons (Acts 12:10 and Luke 4:13).

This insight about the use and meaning of the word was certainly compelling, but the argument Mr. Ice presented that was most convicting was his revelation that the first seven English translations of the Bible rendered the noun, apostasia, as either “departure” or “departing.”

They were as follows:

1.The Wycliffe Bible (1384)

2.The Tyndale Bible (1526)

3. The Coverdale Bible (1535)

4. The Cranmer Bible (1539)

5. The Great Bible (1540)

6. The Beeches Bible (1576)

7. The Geneva Bible (1608)

Mr. Ice also noted that the Bible used by the Western world from 400 AD to the 1500s — Jerome’s Latin translation known as “The Vulgate” — rendered apostasia with the Latin word, discessio, which means “departure.” The first translation of the word to mean apostasy in an English Bible did not occur until 1611 when the King James Version was issued. So, why did the King James translators introduce a completely new rendering of the word as “falling away”? The best guess is that they were taking a stab at what they thought were the "false teachings of Catholicism".

One other point Mr. Ice made that I think is significant is that Paul used a definite article with the word apostasia. The significance of this is emphasized by Daniel Davey in a thesis he wrote for the Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary:

Since the Greek language does not need an article to make the noun definite, it becomes clear that with the usage of the article, reference is being made to something in particular. In 2 Thessalonians 2:3 the word apostasia is prefaced by the definite article which means that Paul is pointing to a particular type of departure clearly known to the Thessalonian church.

In light of this grammatical point, Tommy observed that “the use of the definite article would support the notion that Paul spoke of a clear, discernible notion.” And that notion he had already identified in verse 1 when he stated that he was writing about “our gathering together to Him [Jesus].” This interpretation also corresponds to the point that Paul makes in verses 6 and 7 where he states that the man of lawlessness will not come until what “restrains” him “is taken out of the way.”

And what it is that restrains evil in the world today? The Holy Spirit working through the Church. I think when the Church departs, the Anti-Christ will be free to come to power.

I do not think this has anything to do with a Falling Away from the faith. It is the Church Departing before the Anti-Christ is brought forth. The King James Bible changed the known understanding that has been around for 1500 some odd years.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"-etai" is the ending that signifies the third person (he, she, or it) in the present tense. It also signifies the passive (in other words, he, she or it is having something done to him/her/it). Translated into English, it becomes "he/she/it is (being) forcibly taken" So the "-etai" bit conveys the meaning "he/she/it is (being)". Greek is a very tidy language - it only needs four letters to say something that requires two or three words in English!

In Greek, the present tense is often used for dramatic effect, even when speaking of events that happened in the past or will happen in the future.

Nice website Dr. Debby! :)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for that Ronald. I am taking a break from being tortured by the IRS right now. I have to get back to it but will look into this!

Reactions: Ronald D Milam