Paul and Faith Alone…

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, now you are declaring that there is more than one way to be saved, H. Not so. Peter's gospel was the same as Paul's. They were simply given in different contexts. Where Peter preached the one gospel to the Jews in Jerusalem, Paul preached the same gospel to the Athenians in Acts 17. Paul's gospel had all the main points of Peter's. Both gospels commanded "all men every where to repent." (Acts 17:30, cf, Acts 2:38)

Peter wasn't preaching the gospel of the kingdom. Like you said, there is no mention of it even in Acts. And Peter was known to have gone east from Jerusalem, likely to the Jews in Babylon.

skypair
There is nothing in Acts 2 that says we are saved by what Jesus did on the cross. What is clear is that Peter was trying to get the Jews to accept Jesus as their Messiah and King. Nothing else.

I don't accept your opinion about where Peter went. You can't find it in the Bible.

I resent your miss-quoting my belief. I never said, nor indicated, that, today, there is more than one gospel that saves a person. The gospel of the promised kingdom has been set aside (that means not in effect) until the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled. TODAY THERE IS ONLY ONE< ONE< ONE gospel and that gospel is the one given to Paul for the the Gentiles and the world. It is called the gospel of God's grace where Jesus, God Himself, atoned for the sins of the whole world. Faith in His work on the cross saves a person today and it has nothing to do with a water baptism or repentance. It has everything to do with what God has done for mankind. If a person does not put their belief, faith, trust, confidence in what Jesus did for them they are lost. Jesus gets all the credit and glory for the salvation of mankind.

Reactions: charity

christiang

May 24, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was reading the intro to Galations in my Ryrie Bible the other day and in it he says, "Man is too weak to accomplish self-salvation of self-sanctifcation. … Paul's answer was to proclaim justification by faith plus nothing."

That is far from what he preached! In Acts 26:20 Paul says, "But I showed first to them of Damascus [and everywhere he preached]… that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet of repentance." In Acts 17:30 he was even more forceful. "And the times of this ignorance [of God] God winked at; but now has commanded all men every where to repent." Putting it into the correct order, Paul said in Acts 21:20, "Testifying to both the Jews and also to the Greeks, REPENTANCE toward God, and FAITH toward our Lord Jesus Christ."

So to put it very bluntly, if you have faith alone, your faith is in the gospel and in the Bible but not "toward Christ." And many folks do have faith in the gospel and in the Bible — that they are the true teachings .. the very breath .. of God. But they think that, b/c they have faith in the Bible and the gospel, they are "elect" or saved.

To which I would say, "O foolish Galations, who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth…?" Well, I think we know now who, right?

skypair

Its not just repentance and faith. You must have repentance, faith, AND doing good works, which is what bearing good fruit means. What say you?

Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
hey cg, how ya been? hny!

I believe what you are doing with this cartoon above...is called spamming!!;)
You are always spamming with your other ugly favourite...now I have had to see this one in every thread. We already "got the message" with the first time.
Just don't forget "the rules".... :)
It is a temptation to hit report ...when a persons finds it in every thread they open to read !!! :( *But I guess it will be in our face now with every one of your posts ..being you have added to your signature...:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
Its not just repentance and faith. You must have repentance, faith, AND doing good works, which is what bearing good fruit means. What say you?
We are saved unto good works which Christ does through us. Some might think what you are saying is that we generate the good works ourselves. Truly, though, if we are saved, God speaks to us through His word teaching us how to live .. then as we go about our lives, God leads us where He wants us where we can be used by Him. This has been my experience anyway.

There's also good advice in the book "Knowing God." It tells us "Go where you see God working." That has been a great help in knowing God and being where He wants you.

skypair