Paul: The Law is a Ministration of Death, 2 Cor. 3:7.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law is a ministration of death, 2 Corinthians 3:7, for those who believe that they will be saved and justified by the law or their religion.
I agree with your perspective concerning justification by faith in Christ alone. But it isn't accurate to say that all religions are ministrations of death. All religions have rules or laws but not all religions have animal sacrifices. Paul was talking about animal sacrifices in 2 Corinthians 3.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with your perspective concerning justification by faith in Christ alone. But it isn't accurate to say that all religions are ministrations of death. All religions have rules or laws but not all religions have animal sacrifices. Paul was talking about animal sacrifices in 2 Corinthians 3.
If you are trying to become righteous by the law, you are under a curse, Galatians 3:10. Worse yet, God is very angry with you, Romans 4:15.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
. But it isn't accurate to say that all religions are ministrations of death.

Religion, is man made.

Christianity is God made.

These are not the same.

One leads to hell as the "broad way that leads to DEATH or Destruction"

One leads to GOD, because Christ is the only WAY to the Father, and He is the "narrow Way". Singular... ONE ONLY.

A religion, all of them, have their own way, their dogma... their tenets, that they teach that you must follow to achieve their end goal....and that is to be like God, become God, or reach God.

Jesus says.>"I am THE WAY to the Father"., and that is not a Religion., and that is not something you do.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are trying to become righteous by the law, you are under a curse, Galatians 3:10. Worse yet, God is very angry with you, Romans 4:15.
Agreed. As Paul says, it is evident that one should seek justification by faith. My point was simply that a "ministration of death" only applies to Judaism and perhaps Islam, which prescribe animal sacrifice.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Not all religions are man-made. The Jewish faith was instituted by God through Moses.

That is a God made religion, not a man made.
Its a man delivered., sure.
Similar to "The Law came by Moses", but he only wrote them down.

God made Christianity , Through Christ, who tho a man, is also Deity.
We enter into spiritual union with God, to become a CHRISTian.

The religion of Christianity is man-made. The faith of Christianity is God-made

Christianity is God coming to Earth, as a virgin born man, conceived by God who is A Spirit..... to offer Himself on the Cross, so that by this Godly Sacrifice, God can accept a BELIEVER, based on what GOD has accomplished.
That is not a religion.

Religion is man trying to ............>.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit not the law is the Christians guide and keeper, John 16:13. That is unless you are a Pharisee. His mission was not to abolish the law, even though he did, but only for believers. Unbelievers are under the law and will be judged by it.

Paul said, "But sin taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence (Lust) For without the law sin was dead" Romans 7:8. It is the law that promotes sin.
Rather than Jesus abolishing the Law, through His death, we've died to it. The Law remains to govern the ungodly.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes; "statutes, decrees, and ordinances"... Thank you for reminding me.

Colossians 2:14 KJV
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us,
which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
The key word here is cheirographon, the "handwriting". That's what they called their certificate of debt. Like Paul wrote to Philemon, if he owes you anything, I'll repay it, see, I've written it with my own hand. What was nailed to the cross was our debt to God for breaking His law.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dispute the premise. When we obey the commandments, we stay out of trouble. That is their purpose - the are a gift.
Romans 7, among other places, teaches that the Law actually works against us. That when we try to be "lawkeepers", that actually provokes the flesh to rebel. That's what makes it a ministration of death.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The commandments are a gift to us. They keep us out of trouble. (Rob a bank and you go to prison, so God commanded, "Do not steal.")
The commandment, "do not steal", brings stealing to your mind, and the flesh seizes on that, and the commandments causes sin to awaken. We have two commandments, Trust Jesus, and Love Others. In loving others there is no commandment other than to love, which sidesteps the Law, while leading us to do far more than the Law would require.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. As Paul says, it is evident that one should seek justification by faith. My point was simply that a "ministration of death" only applies to Judaism and perhaps Islam, which prescribe animal sacrifice.
2 Corinthians 3:6-7 KJV
6) Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7) But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

Death and life for animals, or for men?

Romans 7:9-13 KJV
9) For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10) And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11) For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
12) Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
13) Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

For men.

Much love!

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you must believe that Paul is heretic. The law has been replaced with the Holy Spirit. If you need the law, it may be that you don't have the Spirit.
It's about staying out of trouble. If you steal, commit adultery, bear false witness, or murder, you're going to get into trouble.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7, among other places, teaches that the Law actually works against us. That when we try to be "lawkeepers", that actually provokes the flesh to rebel. That's what makes it a ministration of death.

Much love!
But when we refrain from committing adultery, stealing, bearing false witness, and murder, we avoid a lot of trouble.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The commandment, "do not steal", brings stealing to your mind, and the flesh seizes on that, and the commandments causes sin to awaken. We have two commandments, Trust Jesus, and Love Others. In loving others there is no commandment other than to love, which sidesteps the Law, while leading us to do far more than the Law would require.

Much love!
If my memory is correct, a lot of terrible things happened in the Bible before God delivered the Ten Commandments.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's about staying out of trouble. If you steal, commit adultery, bear false witness, or murder, you're going to get into trouble.
The law does not promote righteousness. The law promotes sin, Romans 7:7-10. Read what Jesus said to the law keeping Pharisees in the 23rd chapter of Matthew.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But when we refrain from committing adultery, stealing, bearing false witness, and murder, we avoid a lot of trouble.
When we engage in loving acts of service we engage in much that is fruitful and good, while avoiding committing adultery, lying, murdering, all that.

Much love!