Paul: The Law is a Ministration of Death, 2 Cor. 3:7.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, sir.
Because you wrote this.

The law?
What law? Can you define what law you are talking about?
- Human laws?
- The law God gave to the Israelites alone through Moses?
- The Books of the Law (capital L) The Pentateuch.
- God's law? (the law of our God-given human conscience)
- Christ's law? (the two commandments)

WHICH LAW ARE YOU WRITING ABOUT !!!!!!!!! ???
Do you really want to know?

As I've said, when we sin, trouble enters our lives, so what you need to know is: What is sin?

Law is that which identifies sin.

Do you want me to go on?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you really want to know?

As I've said, when we sin, trouble enters our lives, so what you need to know is: What is sin?

Do you want me to go on?
Bob, when the sin is identified with-in us, are we to die to that sin by picking up the cross, and dying with Christ, being buried with Christ, and being raised again with Christ.

I absolutely have no problem with saying that the Law is good and spiritual. It points us to the one whom fulfilled the law all together - paying for those sins we did once commit in our own ignorance, or willfulness.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bob, when the sin is identified with-in us, are we to die to that sin by picking up the cross, and dying with Christ, being buried with Christ, and being raised again with Christ.

I absolutely have no problem with saying that the Law is good and spiritual. It points us to the one whom fulfilled the law all together - paying for those sins we did once commit in our own ignorance, or willfulness.
It is so simple. When we sin, trouble enters our lives. So we need to learn what sin is. Once we do, and eliminate it from our lives, we have peace. Read Matthew 4:17.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is so simple. When we sin, trouble enters our lives. So we need to learn what sin is. Once we do, and eliminate it from our lives, we have peace. Read Matthew 4:17.
When you train to be a policeman, you read all about it in a book. But until you actually go out into the world and do police work, you can't fully understand your job.

It is the same thing with being a Christian. You can read all about it in the Bible, but until you've walked with the Lord for a time, you can't put it all together.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Been in it for a while now @Bob Estey.

It's hard to pick up your cross and die to your own will, and abide in Christ Jesus, and to walk by the Spirit : every single day of your life, until you die.

Romans 8:17

and if children, then heirs — heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if so it be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together.

Anyone who says it is simple and easy too, is a liar.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do you want me to go on?
Yes, please continue.

But only if you art comfortable elaborating.
Otherwise, no need to draw you out.

I'm trying to help.
(where my help was not requested)
So, I won't push it.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Been in it for a while now @Bob Estey.

It's hard to pick up your cross and die to your own will, and abide in Christ Jesus, and to walk by the Spirit : every single day of your life, until you die.

Romans 8:17

and if children, then heirs — heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if so it be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together.

Anyone who says it is simple and easy too, is a liar.
No one said it's easy. It still beats a life of sin, doesn't it?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this your "proof-text" for this idea?
(cart before the horse?)
Do you have to be UNDER a law to transgress it? (yes) See Romans 5:13

1 John 3:4 KJV
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law:
for sin is the transgression of the law.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ChristisGod

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, please continue.

But only if you art comfortable elaborating.
Otherwise, no need to draw you out.

I'm trying to help.
(where my help was not requested)
So, I won't push it.
Let me give it a shot:

As I said, we don't want to sin, because that brings trouble into our lives, so we have to figure out what sin is.

The most general of all statements is in Matthew 22:34-40, where we learn the two great commandments. Everything stems from these.

But they need definition. The Ten Commandments go a long ways towards defining the two great commandments.

Remember that Jesus said this, "You know the commandments: `Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother." Luke 18:20 RSV

The Lord might use different strategies with different people. The strategy he used on me was this:

But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Jeremiah 31:33

In other words, he showed me my sins, one by one, over a period of time, and he showed me that when I repented of my sin, I had peace. That can be conveyed in this verse:

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matthew 4:17 RSV

People refuse to believe this, but yes, we can have heaven right now, I believe. All we have to do is repent of our sin. I'm not saying it's easy, but it beats a life of sin.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pursing a life, and building up spiritual treasures and abiding in Christ if one chooses to is far better than anything one can experience, it's an inexpressible joy.

I like what Peter writes to his audience, about that.
Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 6.54.57 PM.png

And what Jesus speaks about the treasures, speaking to his disciples,

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 6.56.25 PM.png

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me give it a shot:

As I said, we don't want to sin, because that brings trouble into our lives, so we have to figure out what sin is.

The most general of all statements is in Matthew 22:34-40, where we learn the two great commandments. Everything stems from these.

But they need definition. The Ten Commandments go a long ways towards defining the two great commandments.

Remember that Jesus said this, "You know the commandments: `Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother." Luke 18:20 RSV

The Lord might use different strategies with different people. The strategy he used on me was this:

But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Jeremiah 31:33

In other words, he showed me my sins, one by one, over a period of time, and he showed me that when I repented of my sin, I had peace. That can be conveyed in this verse:

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matthew 4:17 RSV

People refuse to believe this, but yes, we can have heaven right now, I believe. All we have to do is repent of our sin. I'm not saying it's easy, but it beats a life of sin.
That's a great response, thanks.
I like to split hairs over wording, but you are on track.
(not that you need my approval,,,) - LOL
But I thought some encouragement might be in order.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a great response, thanks.
I like to split hairs over wording, but you are on track.
(not that you need my approval,,,) - LOL
But I thought some encouragement might be in order.
I'm glad to hear I am on track.

You want me to encourage you? Read Matthew 4:17. You can have heaven now.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm glad to hear I am on track.

You want me to encourage you? Read Matthew 4:17. You can have heaven now.

I would also agree with you on this too, I believe that because of the Lord Jesus Christ, and becoming adopted calling out to the Father. You are part of the heavenly kingdom now because the Kingdom of God resides with-in your heart, as you put God on your heart, say "the throne of your heart", and you also have a family of believers here on this earth that are also part of that Kingdom, and also those who in the Kingdom that are your family as well.

Thank you for the awesome reminder Bob. You always keep things simple, it always thrown me off of why you are like that. Can I ask you how long you have read your bible for if you would like to tell me? There is a co-worker I met with again today, he told me he 55 years old and read his bible countless of times, he is a nice guy and I like him and perhaps me and him will get together and chat about the bible one day... we were talking about Samuel, Saul, and David, right before the nearing of work ended...

Its nice when other people just start sharing about the bible with you, in a good, calm demeaner. I never had friends... all my friends were drug addicts, and I always used drugs... I am now going on the 20th of this month 2 months of not using anymore... praise God for that though, but I have to deny myself the pleasure and abide in Christ...

That is the only way to stay out of trouble... and obey the governing authorites like my bosses, and supervisors at work, they watching me when I least expect it.

From what I understand the bible says a friend is someone who loves at all times. I suppose that would be a Godly type of love though, which comes from God.

Reactions: marks and Bob Estey

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would also agree with you on this too, I believe that because of the Lord Jesus Christ, and becoming adopted calling out to the Father. You are part of the heavenly kingdom now because the Kingdom of God resides with-in your heart, as you put God on your heart, say "the throne of your heart", and you also have a family of believers here on this earth that are also part of that Kingdom, and also those who in the Kingdom that are your family as well.

Thank you for the awesome reminder Bob. You always keep things simple, it always thrown me off of why you are like that. Can I ask you how long you have read your bible for if you would like to tell me? There is a co-worker I met with again today, he told me he 55 years old and read his bible countless of times, he is a nice guy and I like him and perhaps me and him will get together and chat about the bible one day... we were talking about Samuel, Saul, and David, right before the nearing of work ended...

Its nice when other people just start sharing about the bible with you, in a good, calm demeaner. I never had friends... all my friends were drug addicts, and I always used drugs... I am now going on the 20th of this month 2 months of not using anymore... praise God for that though, but I have to deny myself the pleasure and abide in Christ...

That is the only way to stay out of trouble... and obey the governing authorites like my bosses, and supervisors at work, they watching me when I least expect it.

From what I understand the bible says a friend is someone who loves at all times. I suppose that would be a Godly type of love though, which comes from God.
In 1973, when I was in college, God made his presence known to me. It was actually a painful experience in that I hadn't been living the life I should have been living, and had to deal with the shame. I can't tell you everything I've learned in the fifty years that have followed. I still struggle. I was smoking marijuana back in 1973 but soon would quit. I developed a cigarette habit and smoked heavily for 12 years before quitting in 1986. I developed a drinking habit that got out of control, but I gave that up in 1986 after a scary incident. I keep thinking life is going to get easy, but it hasn't yet. Maybe tomorrow? Thanks for the nice words.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In 1973, when I was in college, God made his presence known to me. It was actually a painful experience in that I hadn't been living the life I should have been living, and had to deal with the shame. I can't tell you everything I've learned in the fifty years that have followed. I still struggle. I was smoking marijuana back in 1973 but soon would quit. I developed a cigarette habit and smoked heavily for 12 years before quitting in 1986. I developed a drinking habit that got out of control, but I gave that up in 1986 after a scary incident. I keep thinking life is going to get easy, but it hasn't yet. Maybe tomorrow? Thanks for the nice words.
As for reading the Bible, at some point, long ago, I read it cover to cover three times. I can't remember exactly when that happened. I would call to your attention 1 Thessalonians 5:17, which simply says, "Pray constantly." I think those are very important words.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As for reading the Bible, at some point, long ago, I read it cover to cover three times. I can't remember exactly when that happened. I would call to your attention 1 Thessalonians 5:17, which simply says, "Pray constantly." I think those are very important words.
That's good that you overcame your fleshy desires. Smoking is the worse.

While you were reading the Bible did you see where Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. What do you think of that?

Reactions: marks

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's good that you overcame your fleshy desires. Smoking is the worse.

While you were reading the Bible did you see where Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. What do you think of that?
It reminds me of when Jesus said he did not come to abolish the law (Matthew 5:17). The Law (the Ten Commandments and two great commandments) is our friend - it keeps us out of trouble each day.

• Sad

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It reminds me of when Jesus said he did not come to abolish the law (Matthew 5:17). The Law (the Ten Commandments and two great commandments) is our friend - it keeps us out of trouble each day.
So, you must believe that Paul is heretic. The law has been replaced with the Holy Spirit. If you need the law, it may be that you don't have the Spirit.