Pentecostal not Charismatics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
imageE87.JPG

imageV6T.JPG

image9BQ.JPG

There is major differences between Pentecostals and Charismatics. I am a holiness pentecostal and there are even more signficant differences betwee us and Charismatics. We do not focus on gifts! Yes we believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are given to the believers 1 Corinthians 12:4, 7-11. But we spend more time stressing salvation in Jesus Christ and living a holy and righteous life before God! Hebrews 12:14 and John 3:16. Please do your research and not become stereotypical! If you went and did your research you would see that there are differences between Holiness movement churches, Pentecostal churches, Oneness (apostolic) pentecostal churches, Holiness Pentecostal churches and then the charismatics churches.

Apostolic, Holiness , Pentecostal & Charismatic Movements
Acts 2:17-21
By: Ian Lamar Courts

The Holiness movement is a sprout off of the Wesleyan Methodist theology. The movement was centralized around the doctrine of “salvation and sanctification”. Many of the founders and leaders of the holiness movement did not intend to start a new denomination of Christianity but wanted to bring revival to the church as a whole. But due to the scrutiny and isolation brought upon these revivalists by the established churches lead to the establishment of a new denomination in Christianity. One of the oldest holiness organizations is the United Holy Church of America Inc. which started by the preaching of the holiness doctrine by Rev. Isaac Cheshier in North Carolina (1886). Due to the fire and vigor of these preachers many people began to flock to this new denomination. Churches and assemblies of these “holy rollers” were established all over the southern United States. In the year of 1906 on Azusa Street, Los Angeles California another major revival began! This new revival birthed what is known today as Pentecostalism. William Seymour preached a new doctrine of ‘baptism of the Holy Ghost”! This revival brought about a modern outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Members experienced the gift of tongues, and faith healing. Many notable church organizations are the Church of God in Christ (COGIC) (1907), International Pentecostal Holiness Church (IPHC) (1911), Assemblies of God (1914), Pentecostal Church of God (1919), and the United Pentecostal Church (1914) among many other organizations. This new doctrine proposed a major issue toward the holiness denomination and the established denominations. Many holiness organizations accepted this new doctrine and incorporated it into their doctrine. The Pentecostal denomination is one of the biggest Christian denominations in the world today. The Apostolic movement began during the Welsh Revival and is a Oneness theological church. Many baptize in Jesus Christ’s name only. It was formally established in 1916. The Apostolic, Holiness and Pentecostal movements have brought a since of spiritual renewal for the church today. Today most of the harsh criticism from the other Christian denominations has subsided and many have experienced and accepted the theology of the Holiness, Apostolic and Pentecostal denominations. Today a new revival has come about called the Charismatic movement. It was started by a Lutheran minister Harald Bredesen in 1962. He stressed the use of charismata or gifts of the Holy Spirit. Many Charismatic Christians separate and distinguish themselves from main stream Pentecostalism due to the fact that many Charismatic Christians do not believe that speaking in tongues are the only evidence of the Holy Spirit. They also believe there is one baptism and that believers receive the Holy Spirit when they become saved. Charismatic Christians call themselves the Neo-Pentecostals. Charismatic Christians accept the Wesleyan holiness doctrine. Charismatic Christians focus heavily upon the gifts of the Holy Spirit and not so much on living a Holy Spirit filled life. Overall many of these great denominations have made huge contributions to the body of Christ, American Culture, and in the lives of the individuals who belong to these groups.

Organizations

• Church of Nazarene(1908)
  • Fire Baptized Holiness Church (1895)
  • Free Wesleyan Church (1885)
  • Christ’s Sanctified Holy Church (1892)
  • International Pentecostal Holiness Church (1911)
  • United Holy Church of America (1886)
  • Church of God in Christ (1907)
  • Assemblies of God (1914)
  • Pentecostal Church of God (1919)
  • United Pentecostal Church (1914)
  • Church of Christ (Holiness) (1896)
  • Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ (Apostolic) (1919)

Among many others.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what I am - I know I do dislike labels and names - because not only
do they cause more and more separation (us and them), but it can
also limit growth...as in "I am this." Well,
maybe next year you will grow and learn more and more and evolve into something even richer
like a blossoming.
Labeling, I believe, limits or stifles that blossoming.

That being said, I speak in tongues and am baptised in the Holy Spirit, am a healer, have been healed - what
that means as a label I have no idea.

I do 't even call myself Christian lest people think the wrong thing -
I love my Holy Father and Jesus, I say.
That's as much of a label as I want.

These man made labels and definitions are tough for me - that Constantine started it all!!!

:) Miss Hepburn

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent post, Miss Hepburn.

I agree completely.
Really?

I was thinking before checking in - that there is God and me -
not God and Catholics and Popes and Pentecostals and belief systems -
There's my Father and me.
I'm pretty simple and not intellectual.
Divisions are not so good - I understand on the Other Side there are no fences.
In NDEs thy notice this - like, what's different about this picture...