Pentecostalism History tidbits

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They did until Scripture replaced tongues. And radical Pentecostals replaced metaphor with real snakes.
I’m surprised their not drinking the kool aid yet like the Jim Jones crowd. After all it says you can drink any deadly thing?

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

Good catch there...

< Dave L: But now face to face.
Bible: but then face to face. >

Dave does it all the time...and I am beginning to believe that he has so brainwashed himself , and built a wall of protection against Pentecost around himself so high , that he does actually read it through his own filter system...and not only reads it 'his way' but 100% believe that is what it says.

Much like myself with the KJV
After 58years of reading it and learning it....whenever I TRY to read another translation my brain just flips it back into KJV in my head.

So, I am beginning to think that this is where Dave is...he does only see it as 'he' believes it to be. He can no longer read it with an open heart.

So I am giving him a rest from my nagging and trying to save him from himself. The wall is too high. Only he can take it down.
You are not considering all scripture says about this and choosing only what you want to think.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You wanted scripture Dave, now you have got it....

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 16:17-18

According to you, they won't speak with new tongues.

D

Dave L

Put up some truth and I can say Amen. So far all you have regaled us with are red herrings, unanswered questions, and pseudo teaching.
Compare your claims to the gifts with scripture. You obviously haven't done this yet.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not considering all scripture says about this and choosing only what you want to think.
your getting no where there are some thing in the pentecostal realm i question...but your not going to change them. no more than they will change you.. having said that get the diehard apostolic beliefs baptism in Jesus name only speak in tongues evidence of salvation trinity teaching is 3 Gods then i will stand up and say wrong.. saved is saved no matter the denom. the old saying catch more flies with honey than vinegar holds true .try a honey approach

Reactions: marksman and Helen

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
here is a question on using this scripture.. minus the new tongues.. but how many venomous snakes have you handled on been bit. not need medical treatment have you swallowed poison not had to be medically treated , how many terminal patients have you laid hands on and the recovered ? i know what the scriptures says.. i believe in divine healing i have seen it.. i have known of women to go in for breast biopsy and when they get ready to do the procedure nothing there... i believe in all the gift including tongues = languages. i know folks who speak tongues i dont never have... i also know those who worship the gift instead of the one who gave the gifts.==jesus its easy to use a scripture to back up a belief . can you back it by experience . i have no issue with the pentecostal i have many friends that are. in fact i graduated with a guy who is a A S O G pastor.. he preaches the word i know another young ASOG dynamite preacher . i also know a full Gospel pastor i enjoy listening to...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
here is a question on using this scripture.. minus the new tongues.. but how many venomous snakes have you handled on been bit. not need medical treatment have you swallowed poison not had to be medically treated , how many terminal patients have you laid hands on and the recovered ? .

Nothing changes the scripture..but...Do all pick us snakes?
Do all drink poison?

1 Cor 12
30" Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

The obvious answer Paul is after is here = NO! all don't.

So the scripture where you asked the above...I would answer with,
Do all pick up snakes? Do all drink poison..etc ...NO. :D

I like your attitude.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing changes the scripture..but...Do all pick us snakes?
Do all drink poison?

1 Cor 12
30" Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

The obvious answer Paul is after is here = NO! all don't.

So the scripture where you asked the above...I would answer with,
Do all pick up snakes? Do all drink poison..etc ...NO. :D

I like your attitude.
jhst to be honest if those who think God tells them to pick up a poisons snake as a act of faith is doing it in the flesh there nuts

do all speak with tongues?
not what i been told ..i was told i had to seek after it . i do like your reply

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
jhst to be honest if those who think God tells them to pick up a poisons snake as a act of faith is doing it in the flesh there nuts

I think you may misunderstand what it is saying here.
God would never tell us or anyone to pick up a snake.
( unless like with Moses rod, )

But think of Paul..while going about his business he picked up some sticks and a viper bit him, he just by faith, shook it off into the fire. That is the kind of thing.

If you ever read about the imprisonment of Richard Wurmbrand from behind the iron curtain ...he was in prison for years , for being a pastor and preaching Jesus Christ. The guards knew that scripture...they handed him poison and told him to drink it. He, like the young Hebrews that would not bow to the golden image.
They said .." God will save us from the furnace, but if not, we will still not bow down..."

When he drunk it , he did not know if his time was up,or whether God would deliver him from the poison. He drunk. They beat him and hated him even more because he did not die.
He lived to tell the tale... we were in his meetings in England.

So, said all that to say..we don't go around 'looking for snakes and poison', to pick up or swallow, neither do we tempt God by such foolishness.

The idiots called christians who 'handle snakes' etc etc ...are serving playing 'strange fire' LEV 10:1
"And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which He commanded them not."

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you may misunderstand what it is saying here.
God would never tell us or anyone to pick up a snake.
( unless like with Moses rod, )

But think of Paul..while going about his business he picked up some sticks and a viper bit him, he just by faith, shook it off into the fire. That is the kind of thing.

If you ever read about the imprisonment of Richard Wurmbrand from behind the iron curtain ...he was in prison for years , for being a pastor and preaching Jesus Christ. The guards knew that scripture...they handed him poison and told him to drink it. He, like the young Hebrews that would not bow to the golden image.
They said .." God will save us from the furnace, but if not, we will still not bow down..."

When he drunk it , he did not know if his time was up,or whether God would deliver him from the poison. He drunk. They beat him and hated him even more because he did not die.
He lived to tell the tale... we were in his meetings in England.

So, said all that to say..we don't go around 'looking for snakes and poison', to pick up or swallow, neither do we tempt God by such foolishness.

The idiots called christians who 'handle snakes' etc etc ...are serving playing 'strange fire' LEV 10:1
"And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which He commanded them not."
no i never misunderstood at all..when someone uses that scripture in defense .they use it in error. the tongues i know nothing about other than what scripture ..has to say . the only practice that i really frown on is the slain in the spirit . but that is another subject

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
here is a question on using this scripture.. minus the new tongues.. but how many venomous snakes have you handled on been bit. not need medical treatment have you swallowed poison not had to be medically treated , how many terminal patients have you laid hands on and the recovered ? i know what the scriptures says.. i believe in divine healing i have seen it.. i have known of women to go in for breast biopsy and when they get ready to do the procedure nothing there... i believe in all the gift including tongues = languages. i know folks who speak tongues i dont never have... i also know those who worship the gift instead of the one who gave the gifts.==jesus its easy to use a scripture to back up a belief . can you back it by experience . i have no issue with the pentecostal i have many friends that are. in fact i graduated with a guy who is a A S O G pastor.. he preaches the word i know another young ASOG dynamite preacher . i also know a full Gospel pastor i enjoy listening to...

The important thing is not what I have done. The important thing is what the scriptures teach. Until you know what the scripture teaches you cannot do anything.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[QHave done that but you are blind as a bat when it comes to what others say.