Pentecostalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you show me in the Bible where God made laying on of hands a special act to Israel? No.

My point is many practices in Bible were adopted from other cultures. That does not make them wrong, just cultural.

The Jewish wedding custom was developed from pagan cultures. But that did not stop God from adopting the imagery for his purposes.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you show me in the Bible where God made laying on of hands a special act to Israel? No.

My point is many practices in Bible were adopted from other cultures. That does not make them wrong, just cultural.

The Jewish wedding custom was developed from pagan cultures. But that did not stop God from adopting the imagery for his purposes.

First of all, the laying on of hands in the New Testament doesn't need to be shown as a special act to Israel in order for it to be of God and accepted. And Scriptures are clear that the laying on of hands was received by God and legitimate.

(Acts. 9:17) "...and putting his hands on him...."

(Acts 8:17-18) "Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost...."

(Acts 19:5-6) "...And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them...."

Second of all, the act of laying on of hands was used and acknowledged by God.

(Gen. 48:13-20) This was the laying on of hands by Jacob for the blessing.

(Lev. 16:20-22) This was the laying on of hands by the High Priest upon the scapegoat.

So, what's your problem?

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
First of all, the laying on of hands in the New Testament doesn't need to be shown as a special act to Israel in order for it to be of God and accepted. And Scriptures are clear that the laying on of hands was received by God and legitimate.

(Acts 8:17-18) "Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost...."

(Acts 19:5-6) "...And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them...."

(Lev. 16:20-22) This was the laying on of hands by the High Priest upon the scapegoat.

So, what's your problem?

Stranger

Agree, good post.

In Numbers 8, God’s people lay their hands on the priests to officially commission them as their representatives before God=
9 "And thou shalt bring the Levites before the tabernacle of the congregation: and thou shalt gather the whole assembly of the children of Israel together:
10 And thou shalt bring the Levites before the Lord: and the children of Israel shall put their hands upon the Levites"

and in Numbers 27:18, God instructs Moses to lay his hands on Joshua to commission him formally as the new leader of the nation.

18 "And the Lord said unto Moses, Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and lay thine hand upon him."

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So, what's your problem?

Stranger
So laying on of hands or nothing?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree, good post.

In Numbers 8, God’s people lay their hands on the priests to officially commission them as their representatives before God=
9 "And thou shalt bring the Levites before the tabernacle of the congregation: and thou shalt gather the whole assembly of the children of Israel together:
10 And thou shalt bring the Levites before the Lord: and the children of Israel shall put their hands upon the Levites"

and in Numbers 27:18, God instructs Moses to lay his hands on Joshua to commission him formally as the new leader of the nation.

18 "And the Lord said unto Moses, Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and lay thine hand upon him."

Yes, more good verses.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't know what you mean. What I know is that you were wrong about the laying on of hands.

Stranger
No you do not.

I have no problem with the practice of laying on of hands. I can find it many historical contexts.

I have a problem with those trying to make it a God proclaimed practice for today.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you do not.

I have no problem with the practice of laying on of hands. I can find it many historical contexts.

I have a problem with those trying to make it a God proclaimed practice for today.

Are you saying God used pagan practices?

You're lying. You did have a problem with it. But now you change your story. No. What you have a problem with is God's verification and endorsement of the laying on of hands. It doesn't suit you. So you have a problem. But, your problem is with God. Because it suits Him quite well.

Stranger

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying God used pagan practices?

You're lying. You did have a problem with it. But now you change your story. No. What you have a problem with is God's verification and endorsement of the laying on of hands. It doesn't suit you. So you have a problem. But, your problem is with God. Because it suits Him quite well.

Stranger
God uses whatever he wants.

Abram came out of the pagan nation, did he not?

Marriage practices were pagan in origin. But the earliest patriarchs them.

You need to study your history. God did not invent new practices throughout the Bible. Many were adopted practices.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God uses whatever he wants.

Abram came out of the pagan nation, did he not?

Marriage practices were pagan in origin. But the earliest patriarchs them.

You need to study your history. God did not invent new practices throughout the Bible. Many were adopted practices.

Again, are you saying God used pagan practices?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are arguing like those who say guns kill.

In is the one using the gun or practice wrongfully who ins.

You did not answer my question. Are you claiming God created these things?

Have you been drinking? Pay attention.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Answer my question. Are you claiming God created all the practices from scratch?

If God didn't make all practices from scratch, who did?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again you're dodging my question.

I can only assume you are unable to answer.

You've been crawfishing since we began this conversation. [removed]

Stranger