People say you can not lose faith, God can't lose you, is that true?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole of the bible needs to be taken in to consideration. Not just what one may want. That is why it is so important to encourage the reading of the word.

The bible is the only way to know more about God, Jesus, God's Chosen nation Israel, the new heavenly Jerusalem, and the nature of humans, and the nature of the spirit, and ... so many subjects found in there.

One bible just in suggestion to anyone if they are able to afford one is.

Short video just to see what it is like - its really a good bible, overall 10/10, though if you get an older version it will not be revised and updated but it is all still primarly the same but if you are older you may want a larger text, that is the only really bad side if anything.

The above is what I got and it was about 50$, and it was a NKJV, hardcover with double ribbon.

If a person would like a more literal word for word translation for study.

I also would recommend for students of the bible Vines Hebrew and Greek Dictonary.

All the best to out there who are curious about the bible, my encouragement is to study it, and the more yoh read that thing the better off you will be !!!!!

There is nothing more better than checking out the Gospels and the letters first and then go back to the old testament and Learn, grow and mature as you abide in Christ Jesus who is the vine!

Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.

A person who loves themselves seek for wisdom and understanding!

All the best in Love,
Matthew

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saved is saved. There are no degrees of salvation, like really saved, for sure saved, kinda saved, etc. You either are or aren't. Whether you remain saved is another issue. The scripture says you must remain faithful unto death.
Church of Christ folks seem to misinterpret Revelation 2:10 to mean that we must be "faithful enough" (in addition) to placing our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation or else we won't be saved yet just "how faithful would you have to be?" Where do you draw the line in the sand and say that you were "faithful enough" in addition to placing your faith in Jesus Christ for salvation so now the Lord will be able to save you? That is vague and could include ANY number of works.

I at one time had temporarily attended the so called Church of Christ with a friend whose Aunt was a very devout member of that church. After running into his Aunt years later after becoming a Christian, I could not wait to tell her that I received Christ through faith and was now a born again Christian. Her only response was where do you attend church? When I did not say the Church of Christ she bowed her head to imply that I was deceived and still lost and she simply walked away from me and spoke with me no more. My friend later told me that his Aunt told him that I did not remain faithful, which according to her meant remaining in the Church of Christ and believing everything they taught.

Revelation 2:10 is meant to be an encouraging statement from the Lord to Christians at the church of Smyrna who were being persecuted, even to the point of death. Jesus was not telling these Christians that if they are not "faithful enough" in addition to having faith in Him that they will not receive eternal life. That is salvation by works! The Lord was telling them that they will receive the crown of life after death, be faithful, hang in there!

In the very next verse, Jesus said - "He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death." 1 John 5:4, we read - "For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. ONLY BELIEVERS are saved, overcome, and are faithful unto death. Unbelievers are not saved, do not overcome and are unfaithful unto death no matter how so called faithfulness they set out to conjure up through the flesh in a vain attempt to receive salvation by works.

Last edited:

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When one truly repents sorrow is involved yet the Greek word for "repent" is "metanoia" (noun) and "matanoeo" (verb) and basically means a "change of mind."

So, repentance basically means a "change of mind" and the context must determine what is involved in this change of mind. Where salvation is in view, repentance actually precedes saving faith in Christ and is not a totally separate act from faith. It is actually the same coin with two sides. Repentance is on one side (what you change your mind about) and faith in Christ is on the positive side--the new direction of this change of mind. (Acts 20:21)
Truly repents........is not part of a person backsliding. It happens daily.

Reactions: MatthewG

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate all of my brothers and sisters here who correct the scriptures. As I've said, what's the point in sharing them? Most Christians place their own theology before the word of God.
The reason Christ wants/needs followers to maintain the proper word...over the new age religion group....which is growing. Big time.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason Christ wants/needs followers to maintain the proper word...over the new age religion group....which is growing. Big time.

I go where the word takes me.

Luke 2:10 ESV
And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for ALL the people.

However, I've been assured by other members here that the angel from God who spoke those words was wrong and that the "good news" is only for SOME people.

Paul said that all scripture is breathed out by God but our friends here know more than God.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I go where the word takes me.

Luke 2:10 ESV
And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for ALL the people.

However, I've been assured by other members here that the angel from God who spoke those words was wrong and that the "good news" is only for SOME people.

Paul said that all scripture is breathed out by God but our friends here know more than God.
That is the new age religion group. Full of ....great deceptions.

Scripture is clear , we only need to listen to the H S .

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The statement that God will not lose you is true. The sad thing is that if we chose to lose God then God has no way of reversing our decision. However, God's Grace does allow us to repent while we are still drawing breathe so that we can live once more.

The question that we all need to answer is, "Will we be able to repent before it is too late to do so?"
Amen!!

GodisSpirit

Aug 3, 2023
mountain time zone
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@GodisSpirit, The whole of the bible needs to be taken in to consideration. Not just what one may want. That is why it is so important to encourage the reading of the word. The bible is the only way to know more about God, Jesus, God's Chosen nation Israel, the new heavenly Jerusalem, and the nature of humans, and the nature of the spirit, and ... so many subjects found in there. One bible just in suggestion to anyone if they are able to afford one is. Short video just to see what it is like - its really a good bible, overall 10/10, though if you get an older version it will not be revised and updated but it is all still primarly the same but if you are older you may want a larger text, that is the only really bad side if anything.
The above is what I got and it was about 50$, and it was a NKJV, hardcover with double ribbon. All the best, in Christ, Matthew

I get paid to teach the Bible.
I have followed the footsteps of my great Grandfather, Grandfather, Uncles, Dad, Cousins.
We were only Baptist because my Dad married a Baptist Woman, my Mom, and in the beginning, She insisted we go to the Baptist Church.
I appreciate you offering me advice.
I only say what is absolute truth pertaining to the Holy Word of God.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its always good to stay in tune with the holy spirit. And the bible should always be encouraged to be read. History is also viable.

Not everyone has had a chance to really properly learn and in my opinion sometimes its like a dry desert out there for people and some are out there looking for food snd water.

Primary - Spirit
Secondary - Bible
Thirdly - History

——— The importance of being a chirstian will always be in Agape Love to your neighbor which is not a feeling its an action in took by the spirit walking in faith.

Loving God first.

All the best to each member on the board and those who seek for truth keep digging amd dont let thr spirit of disbelief enter your heart.

In Christ Yeshua, and God of all comfort be with,
Matthew

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get paid to teach the Bible.
I have followed the footsteps of my great Grandfather, Grandfather, Uncles, Dad, Cousins.
We were only Baptist because my Dad married a Baptist Woman, my Mom, and in the beginning, She insisted we go to the Baptist Church.
I appreciate you offering me advice.
I only say what is absolute truth pertaining to the Holy Word of God.
Welcome to CB forums.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All you have to do is reject Him like the infamous Bible Scholar Bert Erhman has done.
You act like it's impossible.
Hell, is completely full of people who REJECTED God one way or another.
Oh if you reject God you are an antichrist. Your right they will be in hell

where you get it wrong is that they were ever saved to begin with.

God does not make mistakes.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am no longer Baptist.
I know Calvin was a liar because nothing he claimed is fact and the Scripture proves it.
God cannot do anything we don't allow Him to do.
If you reject God, He, cannot do any more to help you.

Look at this Verse:

Mark 6:
He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. And he was amazed at their lack of faith.

If GOD, in Person, CANNOT HEAL and DO MIRACLES because of Lack of Faith/Belief/Rejection, then how can He do a good work in you if you stop believing/Reject Him?

This is the problem with Calvinism, they use ONE VERSE and build a Doctrine when there's many Verses that prove it WRONG!
1. I am not a calvinist
2. I believe in the omniscience of God
3. I believe int he promise of God
4. As such, I believe God knows who has true faith and who does not
5. I also know that when he says he gives you eternal life and you will never die, he means it.

1 John 2 states these people who were with us and departed having denied Christ, were never if us, if they were of us, they never would have left.

Free will is real. God will not force us to believe. Or prevent us from believing as a calvinist would say.

The issue is not free will. No person who was truly saved and truly experienced the love of God and given his spirit Would ever deny Christ.

and its not just me that said that, it was the apostle John and many others

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The statement that God will not lose you is true. The sad thing is that if we chose to lose God then God has no way of reversing our decision. However, God's Grace does allow us to repent while we are still drawing breathe so that we can live once more.

The question that we all need to answer is, "Will we be able to repent before it is too late to do so?"
We can chose to lose God. But we can;t break the blood bond. Or the fact God said he would never lose us

I am amazed at those who think they can overpower God. And walk away

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We can chose to lose God. But we can't break the blood bond. Or the fact God said he would never lose us.

I am amazed at those who think they can overpower God. And walk away.

Ezekiel 18:25 states this: -

24 "But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All the righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; because of the unfaithfulness of which he is guilty and the sin which he has committed, because of them he shall experience the second death.

Yes, the Blood of Christ does wash away and covers our sins, however, it is our choice whether or not we repent and turn away from the transgression that we have committed anew by turning our back towards God. The history of Israel records that they did this many times during the first two ages of their existence and God would just them and they would turn back to God for a short period of time and then they would transgress again. During the third and the this fourth age God has also turned His back on the Israelites and even though the Israelites are presently searching for Him at this present time, God is ignoring them until they repent for the Sins of the Fathers the father's children, and the Sins of the Children's children, i.e., their own sins during this completion of this present age after which God will turn an attentive ear once more towards the Nation of Israel. It is only when they repent of their continual idolatrous worship during their existence of the four ages of their existence, that God will begin to gather them once more to Himself.

God's promise to Israel is then found in verse 30-32: -

30 "Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, everyone according to his ways," says the Lord God. "Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed and get yourselves a refurbished heart and a fresh spirit. For why should you experience the second death, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies {the second death}," says the Lord God. "Therefore, turn and live!"​

Yes, God will not lose us if we turn back to Him and repent of our transgression against Him. But this is our choice to repent of our transgressions against God. God will attempt to draw us to Himself, but the decision to be gathered once more to God is ours alone to make.

Shalom

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezekiel 18:25 states this: -

24 "But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All the righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; because of the unfaithfulness of which he is guilty and the sin which he has committed, because of them he shall experience the second death.

Yes, the Blood of Christ does wash away and covers our sins, however, it is our choice whether or not we repent and turn away from the transgression that we have committed anew by turning our back towards God. The history of Israel records that they did this many times during the first two ages of their existence and God would just them and they would turn back to God for a short period of time and then they would transgress again. During the third and the this fourth age God has also turned His back on the Israelites and even though the Israelites are presently searching for Him at this present time, God is ignoring them until they repent for the Sins of the Fathers the father's children, and the Sins of the Children's children, i.e., their own sins during this completion of this present age after which God will turn an attentive ear once more towards the Nation of Israel. It is only when they repent of their continual idolatrous worship during their existence of the four ages of their existence, that God will begin to gather them once more to Himself.

God's promise to Israel is then found in verse 30-32: -

30 "Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, everyone according to his ways," says the Lord God. "Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed and get yourselves a refurbished heart and a fresh spirit. For why should you experience the second death, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies {the second death}," says the Lord God. "Therefore, turn and live!"​

Yes, God will not lose us if we turn back to Him and repent of our transgression against Him. But this is our choice to repent of our transgressions against God. God will attempt to draw us to Himself, but the decision to be gathered once more to God is ours alone to make.

Shalom
If you have not repented. You have not been saved.

You can not lose salvation. But you can be decieved and think you have it

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church of Christ folks seem to misinterpret Revelation 2:10 to mean that we must be "faithful enough" (in addition) to placing our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation or else we won't be saved yet just "how faithful would you have to be?" Where do you draw the line in the sand and say that you were "faithful enough" in addition to placing your faith in Jesus Christ for salvation so now the Lord will be able to save you? That is vague and could include ANY number of works.

I at one time had temporarily attended the so called Church of Christ with a friend whose Aunt was a very devout member of that church. After running into his Aunt years later after becoming a Christian, I could not wait to tell her that I received Christ through faith and was now a born again Christian. Her only response was where do you attend church? When I did not say the Church of Christ she bowed her head to imply that I was deceived and still lost and she simply walked away from me and spoke with me no more. My friend later told me that his Aunt told him that I did not remain faithful, which according to her meant remaining in the Church of Christ and believing everything they taught.

Revelation 2:10 is meant to be an encouraging statement from the Lord to Christians at the church of Smyrna who were being persecuted, even to the point of death. Jesus was not telling these Christians that if they are not "faithful enough" in addition to having faith in Him that they will not receive eternal life. That is salvation by works! The Lord was telling them that they will receive the crown of life after death, be faithful, hang in there!

In the very next verse, Jesus said - "He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death." 1 John 5:4, we read - "For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. ONLY BELIEVERS are saved, overcome, and are faithful unto death. Unbelievers are not saved, do not overcome and are unfaithful unto death no matter how so called faithfulness they set out to conjure up through the flesh in a vain attempt to receive salvation by works.
Here's the text of Rev 2:10 below. Like all scripture, which I state or reiterate frequently, this scripture was NOT written to us but directly to the church in Smyrna and has a prophetic message for them. Although the message infers dire trouble in store for them which could include death, it still has application to us today. Will we be faced with what Jesus was indicating they were soon to face? Maybe, maybe not. If WE were to be persecuted unto death, would we be able to be faithful up to our very death and yet remain faithful and not renounce the Lord? Something to think long and hard about. That's the message in context and that's the way it could possibly apply to us as to them, truly unto death. But further application to us is, that we do our very best to remain faithful, not backsliding, not renouncing the Lord or denying him in any way under peer pressure or pressure from the government, etc. Remain faithful, attend services regularly, win souls, convert people, correct errant people, etc. That's remaining faithful unto death, and hope and pray along the way we are not challenged as those in biblical times were.

10Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

You can not lose salvation. But you can be decieved and think you have it
I must admit, when I was a new babe, I believed I had to be perfect as if I wasn’t , God would leave me, like you say, we can be deceived, but as we grow and mature in Christ.....we come to realise that the devil will do everything he can to sever our relationship with God.....

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 10:

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and firey indignation , which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

A fearful remaining in the vine is in order. Yes God does not disengage us from the vine but let us not forget the security we have in Christ depends on
our remaining in him.

If God can divorce Israel bc of their sin and continually backsliding why do we think that he will not just let us go our own way even after accepting Christ and believing in his Son? Are we greater than God !

"Take heed" the scripture says, "lest ye fall" !

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be not DECEIVED, God is not mocked. Whatever we sow, if it be of sin, that we commit and hide, we shall be judged in our unbelief of his word in judgement by being removed from the vine as dead, withered and unfruitful !

The ONLY security in this life is to be found faithful, fruitful and thriving in the vine at the end of our earthly life !

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

You cannot lose salvation. But you can be deceived and think you have it

Perhaps your theology is flawed.

King David was encouraged to sinned three times by Satan, and when he came to his senses after having committed those sins, he repented and was forgiven by God for those sins each time that he committed them. If King David had not repented, of the third sin he committed then he will experience the second death upon his judgement in the Great Throne Room because he will be considered to be no longer righteous.

Reactions: gpresdo
Status
Not open for further replies.