Peter identifies Jesus as our God and Savior

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 1:1
Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

2 Peter 1:11
and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ

τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ

our God and Savior, Jesus Christ

our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

We have a second person possessive pronoun "Our" modifying two different improper nouns (God and Savior) joined by "and" (Kia) to identify a proper noun (Jesus) [Granville/Sharp's]. Therefore, by basic grammar, we are identifying Jesus as God and Savior. We don't even have to know the Greek to see that Jesus is being called both God and Savior/ Lord and Savior in Peters 2nd Epistle.

But for those interested in the Greek here is the comparison of 1:1 and 1:11.

τοῦ is the same.
ἡμῶν is the same.
καὶ is the same.
Σωτῆρος is the same.
Ἰησοῦ is the same.
Χριστοῦ· is the same.

And all in the same order as we see above , the construction is the same.

The only difference is the noun "Θεοῦ" in v.1, while "Κυρίου" is in v.11.

So if he wants to deny that Jesus is "God" ("theou") in v.1, then he has to deny that Jesus is "Lord" ("kuriou") in v.11. Otherwise he's being inconsistent and dishonest with the text. To say otherwise is proof positive one has an agenda when reading scripture and using eisegesis rather than exegesis of the biblical text in question.

hope this helps !!!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters - yes, even their own life - such a person cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26 NIV So much for your best life now.
The best thing I can imagine about Peter was that he died to self so that his King could live through him. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Peter was a great guy, like you and me. And in as desperate need of a savior as the rest of us.
Simon Peter answered, " You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." This revelation is the foundation of the ekklesia; of every believer. Shalom. P.S. I know God did all kinds of amazing things through Peter. But it was Jesus who did it. This is my point. Peter was a fisherman, and that's a good thing. Lol

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul and John -- also servants and apostles of Christ -- said the same thing. Our Savior is our God, and our God is our Savior. Those who deny this cannot be saved.

and @Christophany

I don't know if someone cannot be saved if they believe Jesus is the Son of God, and not a created being, but just don't think of Him the same as the Father God. I remember the day, long after I was born again, discovering in the Word that Jesus is God! I even wrote it in my Bible by the verse. It was an epiphany for sure, but I don't believe I couldn't be saved for not being a scholar before that.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Okay, but I would still respect Peter for being one of the men God inspired to write down HIS Words, rather than say, Clemet.
I've heard Kim say that he was not a prophet. The same with Taylor. Prophetic gifts? I believe so, but not prophets.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:
Christophany, I know that you and I have had it out several times on this subject, so, here we go again...
My stars, I do not know if you trinitarians are either the most incompetent exegetes (eisegetes) out there, or the most deceitful?
Your group always takes the exceptions, the most isolated passages, and attempts to present them as the definitive verses on the issue. That is, you either, naively or deliberately, omit or conceal, the majority of text that belong to same genre and context that you used in you support text.
I went through the Epistles extremely quickly right now, and was able to gather these at the top of my head, within 5 minutes.
Do the below verses sound like God and Jesus, or the Father and Jesus, are the same entity, being, or person? Does your one verse outweigh all these that contradict your eisegesis?
Again, shameful, desperate and pathetic eisegesis, verging on deceitful.

Romans 1:1
1:1. Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,
Romans 1:7
1:7. to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul, called as an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, 2. To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours: 3. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To the church of God which is at Corinth with all the saints who are throughout Achaia: 2. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
Galatians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul, an apostle ( not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead), 2. and all the brethren who are with me, To the churches of Galatia: 3. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,
Ephesians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus: 2. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
Philippians 1:2
1:2. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Colossians 1:1-4
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, 2. To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father. 3. We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, 4. since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints;
1 Thessalonians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul and Silvanus and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace. 2. We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention of you in our prayers; 3. constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father,
2 Thessalonians 1:1-2
1:1. Paul and Silvanus and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: 2. Grace to you and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Timothy 1:1-2
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and of Christ Jesus, who is our hope, 2. To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
2 Timothy 1:1-2
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, according to the promise of life in Christ Jesus, 2. To Timothy, my beloved son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
Titus 1:4
1:4. To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
Philemon 1:3
1:3. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
James 1:1
1:1. James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad: Greetings.
1 Peter 1:3
1:3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
2 Peter 1:2
1:2. Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;
2 John 1:3
1:3. Grace, mercy and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
Jude 1:1
1:1. Jude, a bond-servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are the called, beloved in God the Father, and kept for Jesus Christ:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christophany, I know that you and I have had it out several times on this subject, so, here we go again...
My stars, I do not know if you trinitarians are either the most incompetent exegetes (eisegetes) out there, or the most deceitful?
Your group always takes the exceptions, the most isolated passages, and attempts to present them as the definitive verses on the issue. That is, you either, naively or deliberately, omit or conceal, the majority of text that belong to same genre and context that you used in you support text.
I went through the Epistles extremely quickly right now, and was able to gather these at the top of my head, within 5 minutes.
Do the below verses sound like God and Jesus, or the Father and Jesus, are the same entity, being, or person? Does your one verse outweigh all these that contradict your eisegesis?
Again, shameful, desperate and pathetic eisegesis, verging on deceitful.

Romans 1:1
1:1. Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,
Romans 1:7
1:7. to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul, called as an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, 2. To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours: 3. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To the church of God which is at Corinth with all the saints who are throughout Achaia: 2. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
Galatians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul, an apostle ( not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead), 2. and all the brethren who are with me, To the churches of Galatia: 3. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,
Ephesians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus: 2. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
Philippians 1:2
1:2. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Colossians 1:1-4
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, 2. To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father. 3. We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, 4. since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints;
1 Thessalonians 1:1-3
1:1. Paul and Silvanus and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace. 2. We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention of you in our prayers; 3. constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father,
2 Thessalonians 1:1-2
1:1. Paul and Silvanus and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: 2. Grace to you and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Timothy 1:1-2
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and of Christ Jesus, who is our hope, 2. To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
2 Timothy 1:1-2
1:1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, according to the promise of life in Christ Jesus, 2. To Timothy, my beloved son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
Titus 1:4
1:4. To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
Philemon 1:3
1:3. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
James 1:1
1:1. James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad: Greetings.
1 Peter 1:3
1:3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
2 Peter 1:2
1:2. Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;
2 John 1:3
1:3. Grace, mercy and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
Jude 1:1
1:1. Jude, a bond-servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are the called, beloved in God the Father, and kept for Jesus Christ:
diversion is your modus operandi.

engage the OP which is 2 Peter 1:1 and 1:11.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
diversion is your modus operandi.

engage the OP which is 2 Peter 1:1 and 1:11.
...and what a diversion I created, unavoidable I would say!
2 verses do not override the landslide majority of texts that are on the exact same issue. In other words, 2 Peter 1:1 and 1:11 have both been relegated to the category of ambiguity, due to the explicit and clearly delineated classification of the well over 20 verses that I countered with. Again, of the exact same context and genre (salutation, doxology).

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...and what a diversion I created, unavoidable I would say!
2 verses do not override the landslide majority of texts that are on the exact same issue. In other words, 2 Peter 1:1 and 1:11 have both been relegated to the category of ambiguity, due to the explicit and clearly delineated classification of the well over 20 verses that I countered with. Again, of the exact same context and genre (salutation, doxology).
I didn't think you were capable of engaging the text and you proved I was correct.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I didn't think you were capable of engaging the text and you proved I was correct.
Not at all, like I said, 20+ verses preclude the need to address the text. We all know how peculiar at times the bible speaks. There are many strange passages that after several decades, I still haven't a clue what they mean. I leave those alone, and establish rules based on the majority. Or, at least, the majority elucidates the unclear passages - like, in this case.
Yes, you are somewhat correct, and even then, only in regard to 2 Peter 1:1. In it's isolated context, it sounds like Jesus is the almighty God on the surface. But, that premise is entirely eradicated when compared to all the verses that I showed, that undeniably make a profound distinction between God (who is only ever called the Father), and Jesus Christ the Lord.
Greek syntax can be extremely awkward when trying to translate into a language that does not follow the same grammatical rules. Thus, I don't deny or avoid radical passages, I merely interpret them in light of of the language impediment, the context, and tota scriptura. This is both responsible and competent exegesis.
And, even if I conceded that passage to mean that Jesus was being called 'a god' (no capital rules in the uncials), God has raised and exalted him to such a degree, that yes, as Moses was a god, as many men were gods to others, Jesus will veritably be a god to all humans when his reign is inaugurated. I will gladly call Jesus a god (theos) and worship him accordingly, without ascribing any deity to him.

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Same being, different persons.

Peace be with you!
Sorry PJ, are you stating that the verses actually sound that way, as was the question, or are you just offering your interpretation?
Reading the verses in a plain and natural sense, would give absolutely no one the impression that the author is denoting a single entity, not whatsoever. Only those with an extreme bias, would outrageously claim that the expression 'God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ' could ever possibly even insinuate that they are, as you claim, one and the same God.
It's not an exegetical option. Therefore, over twenty verses that undeniably define the autonomy, in both ontology and will, of God the Father and the Son of Man Jesus Christ, versus the one from 2 Peter 1:1, completely dispel the notion that Jesus is God.

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry PJ, are you stating that the verses actually sound that way, as was the question, or are you just offering your interpretation?
Reading the verses in a plain and natural sense, would give absolutely no one the impression that the author is denoting a single entity, not whatsoever. Only those with an extreme bias, would outrageously claim that the expression 'God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ' could ever possibly even insinuate that they are, as you claim, one and the same God.
It's not an exegetical option. Therefore, over twenty verses that undeniably define the autonomy, in both ontology and will, of God the Father and the Son of Man Jesus Christ, versus the one from 2 Peter 1:1, completely dispel the notion that Jesus is God.

Are you saying that you do not believe that Jesus is God? I think of it this way. Elohim is another name for God, and Elohim is plural. Let us make man in Our likeness. "Our" is plural. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. We know that the Word of God is Jesus.